Chapter Fourteen/Part One: A Weak Constitution
129 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Fourteen 

Part One: A Weak Constitution

 

 On the southern coast of the region, a giant tower of triangular cross-sectioned steel lattices reached into the sky over the beaches. The facility's antennas mounted on them appeared symmetrical. It was an Intermission Tower designed for the Evangelist Federation. At the communication tower, a slate is seen on the metal flooring. Someone stepped on the device as they ran, shattering the screen. An Abyssus Unit ran behind cover; their steel toed boots clanked on the metal plated ground. He was a young man with bleach-blonde hair that hung over his face as well as dark bags under his eyes. 

“Come on Scant, get it together.” He muttered to himself, trying to keep his cool, as he gripped his rifle.

He looked next to him, only to discover a dismembered body of an Abyssus Unit with the lower half of his body completely missing. Scant reeled back in horror. He was forced to take cover again when a gunshot was heard in the background. 

“There were way more Abyssiti that came out of the rift than predicted.” He gritted his teeth. “How’d the Federation expect the Zeta Squad to handle this-”

He looked to the floor below him while breathing heavily, he held his plasma rifle close to his chest. The creatures screeched, loud and ominous, causing him to look up at the ceiling and walls in alarm. Bits of flaming sparks speckle the air. 

“Tch. I refuse to die here.”

He begins to run in a panic, as black specks of ash float with the sparks. The sound of a Plasma cannon revving up filled the air followed by an intense rumble. The ground began to shake causing him to fall over, by the silhouetted image in a cloud of smoke. It was an Abyssiti with the addition of spikes sticking out of its back. It’s golem-like being with jagged spires extending from their large arm structures loomed over him. The Abyssiti seemed to ignore the rules of gravity; it’s arms reached the ground yet it’s legs were far from it. Unlike all the other Abyssiti, this one burned with an orange hue. Scant fired his rifles dead at the Abyssiti but the plasma shots seemed to just get absorbed by the giant entity. Each shot he fired vanished within the Abyssiti without leaving a scratch. Eventually Scant stopped pulling the trigger entirely and just stared helplessly into the anomaly's strange eyes. To the Abyssus Unit's surprise however, it didn’t feel like he was staring into the face of death, the strange glowing pattern on its face seemed to be staring right back at him with hopelessness. 

Scant, almost dazed, lowered his rifle as it inched closer to him. “To…die here.”

Meanwhile, at the Beacon within the walls of the Evangelist Federation. Razor just delivered the news on the situation, and they didn’t have much time to wait to handle it. Crest stared at Soleria from across the seminar room.

 “Intrinsic ma’am, we need your orders.” 

She was paralyzed on the spot, the dilemma holding her in a tightening grip. Fear became a tangible, living force that crept over Soleria like the nightmare creatures of the Abyss, immobilizing her; her brain, holding the Intrinsic captive.

“Y- yes…yes! Of course Captain!” Stammered Soleria while standing at the front of the Seminar room. She could feel everyone’s eyes weighing on her at that moment. They all looked at her for guidance, as their Observer, yet she had no clue what to do. 

Soleria looked back up towards Crest on the opposite end of the room. She understood time was of the essence and there was no room to be prideful. 

“Uhm… M-may I run something by you first?” 

She quickly went around the desk and began to speed walk down the aisle; all the children watched her briskly join Crest at the back of the room, as they sat at their desks. The Intrinsic walked over to the Captain, she had never seen him up close before. Soleria only knew him as the last survivor of the Omega squad and the best Abyssus Unit in the field. His dark green hair and stoic face paired well with his stern, piercing eyes that seem to read the thoughts and souls of those he speaks to. 

“Captain 732-C, I can’t make an order, because I don’t know what the right decision is to make.” She cried out in a hushed tone. 

It was obvious to him, and to anyone, Soleria Illow was inexperienced, naive and blatantly weak spirited. However Crest knew they were taught to think that Intrinsic like her were flawless beings, all knowing, and favored in the eyes of god; they were the evangelists of this world. He looked down at the golden haired individual; she looked like she was at the brink of tears.

“I’m not qualified for this position, you’re far more experienced, I give you command, just please… don’t allow that Abyssiti to enter the Core.”

Crest exhaled heavily out of his nose. “One day you’ll be put into the position where you have to send us to our deaths.” 

“I hope you’ll be able to make that call when the time comes in the future, and you won’t just thrust the responsibility onto someone else.” 

Soleria took a step back, her gaze fell downward, as Crest walked past her. Maybe Arsyle was right, maybe this position wasn’t for her. Soleria pondered with a heavy heart. Could she allow herself to give up on becoming an Observer, and allow Cephyr Orion to destroy humanity? Was that a decision she could make? In the same instance Vanity’s light green eyes were locked onto Dart, she looked up to see Vanity’s eyes fixated on her, “Why was she looking at me like that?” Thought Dart as she met her gaze. The look on her face was like she heard something that she shouldn’t have. The two girls exchanged looks without a word. 

“Batch:26A and Batch:32B, come with me.” Called out the Captain, he then turned to Razor, who was standing in the doorway of the seminar room. The Abyssus Unit saluted when Crest looked his way. 

“Razor, gather the Revival squad, we haven't a moment to waste.” Declared Crest, however upon saying that, a look of anxiety washed over Razor’s face.

“T-There’s no way we’ll reach the target on foot before it reaches the outer walls of the 5th Core!” He trembled. The mere fact that a creature of Abyss managed to get into the Federation territory without being detected was already a severe issue; Razor was positive they were understaffed and lacking the resources to handle this situation. 

“Get your shit together Razor, that goes for you as well Observer.” Snapped Crest at the two. Soleria flinched, she wasn’t thinking right. 

“Intrinsic Illow, is there any possibility you have an airship on stand by?” Asked the Captain.

Soleria attempted to rein in her brain, she needed to focus on the task in front of her, which was handling that Abyssiti before it reached her home. Yet, she had nothing to add, no way to help and no abilities to make the situation any better. “An airship? An airship… no Captain we don’t have an airship.” Her glance drifted downward, but not for long as a look of realization washed over her round face.

She seemed to have come to an epiphany. Crest lifted an eyebrow at the Intrinsic’s sudden demeanor change. 

“We don’t have an Airship, but we might have an entire hangar filled to the brim with four wheel vehicles and Motorbikes!” She exclaimed as her eyes twinkled, “The original owners of this building, The Constance family, manufactured vehicles, so maybe she left some here!” 

Crest pondered a bit. “Hell, if we find a motorbike it’ll definitely beat walking…Illow, take me to this Hangar.” 

Soleria nodded full of gusto, she was glad she was able to contribute something at the very least. Even if it was just a glimmer of hope.

“Let’s move out! You have your orders!” Barked Crest as he stormed out of the Seminar room. Razor followed close behind to go gather the rest of the Revival squad.

“I guess we’re going on a little field trip on our first day of training.” Mumbled Below as he got up from his seat to follow Crest as he commanded them to. Zero got up as well and followed suit.

“Aye! We might get to see these Abyssus Units in action! That’s the most exciting part!” Cheered Fives. 

Quill walked by her team mate and tugged on his ear. “Shush! Fives, this isn’t a joking matter people might get hurt!” Scolded the mauve haired girl, as she let go of Fives’ ear.

He pouted while rubbing his ear. “I wasn’t joking though.” He mumbled to himself as he followed the group out of the room.

5