Chapter 21: The Sakai family is coming
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Compressed against Sophie’s mother’s chest, Rina’s face shows signs of suffocation.

*Choking Bruises*

“Mom!”

“You’re overdoing it Ashley, you can see she can’t breathe.”

“Oops, my apologies Rina, it’s been so long since I’ve seen you, I couldn’t help it.”

She releases her embrace of the poor Rina who then takes her breath in the most total confusion.

“It’s… It’s okay, I’m coming back to myself…”

Sophie gently pats her friend’s back.

“Yosh yosh, there you go, breathe easy.”

“You’ll pardon my wife Rina, she tends to lose her temper when she sees young girls Sophie’s age.”

“I can’t help it, it’s my maternal instinct that takes over. When I see you both so cute, it reminds me of Sophie when she was still a child… Don’t worry, you’re still as cute as ever my darling eh, even more than before!”

“Yes I get it, mom, Mo~ you’re really going to have to rethink your behavior, you embarrass me.”

*Simulated sobs*

“My daughter admonishes me, boo~ boo~ “

It had been two or three years since Rina had had the opportunity to talk to Sophie’s parents. She had almost forgotten that Sophie’s mother is the kind of person who is exuberant with those she likes, especially her daughter’s friends.

“Tell me Rina, aren’t your parents here yet?”

"Um, as far as Mum- *um* my mother goes, she's probably still sorting out some business with clients and my father must be somewhere in the area mopping up. Sorry about that Mr. White, they invite you but aren't even here to greet you."

“Haha, you can call me Paul. I’m not much for formalities, we’re among acquaintances.”

A hand rises behind Paul’s shoulder.

“And you can call me Ashley, you can even call me Mummy if you want.”

“Mom!”

“Is that too indelicate? Sorry, sorry…”

“I’ll call you Paul-san and Ashley-san then.”

During this time, somewhere in the ryôkan, Elsa is in search of her better half.

“For God’s sake! Where the hell did he go…”

“Ms. Shimizu, are you looking for something?”

“Ah, Satsuki, you’re just in time. Have you seen the thing that serves as my husband?”

“Mr. Shimizu? Well, he was taking the trash out of the kitchens not even five minutes ago.”

“What ?”

“He finished cleaning the hall shortly after Rina arrived, and since there was still time, he left to help in the kitchen.”

“Does he know he’s the owner of a prestigious establishment? Taking out the trash is not an image to give to our guests.”

“The employees are very appreciative of the gentleman’s little touches; they are happy to see that their employers are caring, listening to people.”

“Do you think so?”

“Yes, I’m even sure of it.”

“Um, I’ll take it under consideration when I find him. I’ll go to the kitchen, thanks Satsuki.”

“With pleasure Mrs. Shimizu.”

At the same time, on the other side of the building, the kitchen service entrance door opens.

“Thank you again for your time Mr. Shimizu.”

“No problem, I deprived you of Remy-san for the evening shift, it’s only fair that I come to see how the staff is doing.”

“May we discuss the staff’s proposals for the special autumn menu again later?”

“Of course, we’ll arrange a quick meeting by next Tuesday, I’ll let you know as soon as possible.”

The door closes, covering the voices of the kitchen staff as they resume work.

Puffing his chest and taking a deep breath of fresh air, the pride of having accomplished a good deed is felt…

*Deep expiration*

… or rather a relief?

“Making me do chores on the same night we’re supposed to have guests. What will the employees think if they find out that Elsa is the one pulling the strings…”

A male hand comes to rest on the shoulder of this dear papa-san.

“It seems obvious to me that everyone knows that Elsa-san is the real boss here. Isn’t it Naoki?”

The owner of the place freezes and his face turns white. Turning around, he discovers with amazement the identity of the man who has just surprised him.

“Ah…”

A man with long curly hair, with a goatee and tanned as a surfer who spent his life under the tropical sun could be, appears before Naoki’s wide eyes.

“Always true to yourself, isn’t it. However, you need to be more discreet the next time you plan to complain. Whining in public is never good for business, haha!”

“Ta- … TAKAO ?!”

“Here I am! And I didn’t come alone, you can imagine.”

Behind him, two familiar silhouettes.

“Good evening Naoki-san, it’s been a while.”

“Good evening Shimizu-san, thank you for your invitation.”

The Sakai family is present.

“Vanessa-san and Aya-chan, good evening to you, I didn’t expect to see you here. Didn’t anyone come looking for you?”

“We did go to the front desk, your receptionist told us we would find you here.”

“That’s good timing, I just finished an important meeting with my kitchen staff, I was just about to join the Pavilion to welcome you.”

“An important meeting huh? Let’s put it this way.”

“No need to lay it on thick. Follow me ladies, this is the way to the Golden Pavilion for tonight’s reception.”

“Ara, that is far too kind. Come Aya, let’s follow this gentleman.”

*Snickers*

“Naoki, you little trickster, you always manage to turn the situation in your favor.”

“It’s called professionalism.”

“That’s a good one, glad to see you haven’t changed anyway.”

“um.”

Onomatopoeia like "Mo~" or "boo~" are cute little noises of annoyance.

0