Chapter 49.1: Then comes the Storyboard, part 1
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Since Shimizu-san already has a more or less clear idea of what she wants, let’s move on to your synopses ladies. White-san?”

“It won’t be as complete as Rina-chan’s story, is that okay?”

“No problem. Shimizu-san let loose on this one; synopses should be concise and give a general idea of a story without going into detail.”

“That makes me feel better. Here is my synopsis: Upon a verdant world, unmarred by the trappings of advanced technology, there lived a young boy. Each day, he tended to the fields with tireless diligence. But as the sun set and the stars emerged in the inky sky, the boy would steal away, lost in hours of contemplation of the celestial spectacle above him.”

“Hmm hmm.”

“Amongst the twinkling lights, one star shone with a particular radiance, illuminating the boy’s heart with a warmth that soothed the weariness of his labor. A longing took root within him, a desire to discover the source of this comforting light.”

“…” 

“The legends of his people spoke of ancient ancestors who had fled the chaos and violence of the universe to make their home on this idyllic planet.”

“And so, the boy dared to dream that perhaps, just perhaps, a way existed to return to the heavens and join his beloved, shining star.”

 “…”

“So? Wha… What do you think?”

Eyes wide, Rina rushes to Sophie to grab her cheeks.

“That was so beautifully told! I want to know what the boy is going to do now.”

“Hehe, thank you Rina-chan.”

“You wrote a lovely little story, Sophie, it also makes me want to know the rest.”

“Thank you Aya-chan, my experience in the literature club has paid off.”

“Hmm, very interesting… A protagonist dreaming of escaping his boring daily life and going to join this star he has admired for years. So it’s a completely platonic impossible love.”

“Absolutely, I feel this form of love is not emphasized enough in recent literary works.”

“Plato-what?”

“Platonic, Rina-chan. This is a term we use to refer to a love that does not rely on a physical relationship.”

“The choice of White-san is very interesting because usually, love relationships are between two living beings, but here we are dealing with a boy who has fallen for a star. It’s a bold concept and totally an impossible love in the literal sense.” 

“To tell you the truth, I made a mix of stories I’ve recently read or seen in movies. Nothing original.”

“That’s how you create something new. Starting 100% from scratch is very complicated and sometimes very shaky, the imagination is more stimulated by the alteration of already existing things than by pure creation. Anyway, this is only my opinion.”

“Well, I guess it’s my turn now.”

“Get your best story out for us Aya!”

“Don’t expect much… Hm! So, this is the story of the crew of a ship of space pirates that roams the galaxy to plunder merchant ships and other valuable vessels. At first unknown to the authorities, the crew soon made a name for themselves.”

“Hmm hmm.”

“Until the day a considerable bounty on their heads is put into circulation across the galaxy. Many people from all walks of life begin to hunt down the pirates including one of the authorities’ official units commanded by none other than the childhood friend and first love of the pirate ship’s captain… That’s it, that’s it…”

*Blushing*

Come on, Aya, why the embarrassed look? Even I, as a narrator, think it’s good for a first attempt.

“It’s not bad at all Sakai-san. Space pirates are a very familiar theme that has already proven itself, perfect for Space Opera. Ditto for the concept of love between childhood friends who are now factional enemies.”

“It’s true, I have reminiscences of old manga or games I played. It almost makes me nostalgic.”

“I feel more like I have no imagination…”

Sophie approaches Aya and comes to hit her forehead gently with the back of her hand.

“Moo~ That’s a nasty flaw you have, Aya-chan. You always hold back from expressing your ideas.”

“I’m just not comfortable with anything that has to do with creative activities. I’m not cultured in those areas like the three of you might be…”

“Don’t worry Aya, I’ll be your brain in these cases, count me in.”

“Thank you? I don’t know how I should take it but thank you anyway, Rina.”

Watanabe collects the girls’ notes.

“I think it’s already good. It takes time to come up with an original concept on the first try. To tell you the truth, the first time I did the test when I arrived at the club, I unconsciously rewrote the synopsis of a manga I had read the week before, I was ashamed when I realized it with my senpais. So I guess you could say you did better than me your first time.”

“Thank you for comforting me senpai.”

“Haha, this is my duty as a senior. To move on to the next step, I suggest you select one of your three stories to make a storyboard. Which one do we choose?”

“Rina’s, right? After all, she’s the one we came for in the first place.”

“I think so too.”

“NO NO NO!” 

“Huh?” x2

“I’d rather not have mine taken, I’ve gone way too far in my mind, it might be too frustrating for me to have to choose one scene from so many…”

“Okay, so White-san or Sakai-san then?”

“That’s fine for me, I don’t feel like I can go any further with my synopsis. Let’s take Sophie’s, it was very nicely written and made you want to know the rest.”

“I agree with Aya, I want to know how the boy is going to get to his beloved star!” 

“Great, so let’s go to the Storyboard workshop, prepare your White-san script you need to choose a specific scene. By the way, we have chosen the Yonkoma format for this exercise.”

“I will do my best.”

0