Chapter 49.2: Then comes the Storyboard, part 2
21 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So White-san, any thoughts on a scene you’d like to see storyboarded?”

“Um… Watanabe-senpai, could you show me an example of what you’ve done before? I’ve never really had a chance to think about storyboard design before this.”

“No problem, let’s take… this one!”

The girls move closer to see the sketch.

“Let’s see.”

“To make it simple, the storyboard in yonkoma format is composed of four successive panels. We will follow the rules of Ki Shô Ten Ketsu as in this example.”

“Ki Shô Ten Ketsu ?” 

“Yes! I know it!”

“Shimizu-san, please.”

“So the Ki corresponds to the panel that begins a story, the Shô develops it, the Ten introduces an event and the Ketsu concludes the story by reacting to the event of the panel before.”

“That’s pretty much summed up, you already have the basics to claim to be an experienced member of our club.”

“Hehe, I do have some knowledge.”

She says in an almost boastful manner.

“The important thing is to build a quick, cohesive little story without going into too much detail.”

Sophie concentrates and cogitates intensely to find a good idea.

“If it’s too hard we can help you, Sophie.”

“Mmm… I know, I’ve got an idea.”

“Do you want to draw it yourself or do you want someone’s help?”

“I’ll do it myself, it’s very simple so I should be fine.”

Sophie sits down at the table, gets a blank sheet of paper provided for this purpose as well as a pencil, and begins to scribble some shapes in the panels.”

The girls look at her with attention and admiration.

“This is…”

“Wait, wait! Sophie?!”

“What’s wrong Rina-chan?”

“You’re drawing great, what’s going on ?!”

“You’re indeed good White-san, you can tell you’re used to sketching.”

“You never told us you could draw so well Sophie.”

“I’ve been drawing landscapes on and off since I was little, I think it’s become something natural for me.”

“I’m more shocked by the fact that we never realized this hidden talent… Yet all three of us were in the same class.”

“We weren’t in the same class for art classes back then.”

“Um… I may seek your expertise in the future, dearest Sophie.”

“Haha, I’ll be happy to help you if you need me, Rina, if at all reasonable.”

“Noted, hehe…”

“If you’re going to ask her to do your art homework for you, well, you should know that I’ve already advised Sophie to decline outright.”

“HEEE!!”

“Sorry Rina-chan, Aya-chan made me understand that it is not good for your personal development.”

“I would remember that betrayal Aya, damn…”

“Hehe.”

“Well, I’ll finish my sketches quickly and we can move on.”

Sophie finishes her storyboard quickly and efficiently, like a pro.

“Voilà.”

“Let’s see what you’ve done White-san.”

“So, based on the format you gave me, first of all, the Ki. The little boy leaves the field after a hard day’s work just before nightfall. Then comes the Shô, the boy walks across the hill behind his house to his favorite vantage point, carrying a wicker basket with picnic supplies along the way.”

“Hmm hmm.”

“For the Ten, once at the top of the highest hill, the boy realizes that the linen he had carefully set up to make a bed for himself was gone. And finally, the Ketsu retrieves the checkered tablecloth that covers the bottom of his basket and spreads it on the ground to make his cozy little nest again.”

“Rather a simple scene that exploits the country settings of your story and relates the peaceful daily life of your protagonist.”

“I mostly made something that I was sure I could do all the designs myself. If you had asked me to make you a spaceship, I probably would have asked one of your members for help.”

“There’s no shame in that, quite the opposite. The designs are already good enough and complete enough that we can go straight to the final stage of the game.”

“What do you mean?”

“The realization of the yonkoma format chapter in the manga style. Let’s check out the third table, my classmates are still available to do the drawings.”

Several drawing desks, sheets and pencils in all directions, and manga boards hung on the walls of the last stage.

“Um, since it’s the end of the day, you’re in luck because you’re going to be able to choose right away what style you’re going to be able to materialize your work in.”

Aya raises her hand.

“What exactly should we do?”

“Simply choose the person who will draw the yonkoma for you. There are several club members available to you, look at their work and choose the style that suits you best.”

“Um okay, since it’s your story, your choice Sophie.”

“Let’s look together then.”

1