Chapter 10 : My Death is My Own Option
28 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hold still..."

 

A seeping pain made Errat jolt as he was sitting on a stool, "O-Ouch! Careful! Careful!" He hissed as Roderick was applying some healing ointment on the man's back.

 

Roderick grunted as he pushed Errat by the shoulder down on his seat, "I said hold still, you idiot. The wound's not going to heal themselves." He said with a frown as he kept applying the ointment on the mans back - despite his whines.

 

Errat had recently gained back his consciousness when the group had arrived back at the tavern in a hurry. They borrowed some healing ointment from the tavern's owner and rented two rooms for the night. Roderick told the others to get some rest and watch over Jack as he began to patch up the captain's wounds.

 

"Can't ya be a bit gentler, Rody?!"

 

"If you haven't jumped in front of that monster, you wouldn't be in this situation," Roderick replied, silencing the injured party as his eyes glazed over the three long strokes that were freshly made by the claws of that wretched monster. He was irked by the sight of it, as well as the other wounds that were on the man's back.

 

Though he was slightly astonished at how toned the man's body was. His arms were mildly swollen with the muscles on his biceps and forearms. But it wasn't that noticeable when he was wearing his clothes, "...His body looks like he can kill a bear bare-handed... but he's an idiot. Especially the stunt that he pulled earlier..." Roderick thought with an irritated feeling in his heart.

 

After a while, Roderick had laced some bandages around Errat's body. The captain's whining had stopped as he sat on the stool quietly. The former then tied the end of the bandage and nodded, "Done" He said before circling the individual and tidying up the open bottle of ointment along with the bundles of bandages on the bed.

 

Errat let out a sigh as he put his hand on top of his chest, "Finally, was wondering if that torture's gonna hold on forever." He said in relieve.

 

Roderick let out a sigh as he put the bottle and bandages on the nightstand next to the bed. He walked over towards Errat with his usual stoic face and stood in front of him. The man then completed his posture with him crossing his arms - he looked like he was about to explode.

 

"Well, we'll set off to Illusia and get the payment in the morning. Now let's get some rest, shall we?" Errat smiled at Roderick.

 

"..." Roderick stayed silent for a few seconds before he closed his eyes and took in a deep, deep breath through his nose before exhaling it ever so slowly. His eyes then shot wide as he balled his fist and hit Errat in the head with anger.

 

"GAH-! What was that for, Rody?!" Errat was flabbergasted as he took hold of his head and looked at the man in front of his with disbelief.

 

"What the fuck were you doing earlier?! Were you trying to get killed?!" Roderick exclaimed as he was furious, anger filled his face with a red color.

 

"I was watching my crewmate's back, that's what!" Errat exclaimed back as he rubbed the bump on his head.

 

Roderick gritted his teeth and land another hit on top of Errat's head.

 

"AKHH!!"

 

"What kind of a stupid-... IDIOT ARE YOU!? You're lucky that was only a light wound and nothing more. You could have ended your own life right there, and at that exact moment! What would the others say when they saw you like this, huh?!" Roderick argued back as a flicker of worry laced around his fury-filled eyes.

 

"You're the captain, the CAPTAIN! You should have known better! It would be better if I'm the one harmed by that monster! How much of a stupid, arse head, and a careless idiot can you be?!" He added, shouting at Errat who was silenced by his sudden burst of emotions.

 

Errat flattened his lips as he watched Roderick heaved his chest up and down from spouting out words too quick than his usual short and sarcastic reply.

"You have to thank me that Jack didn't see your wound or he would be scared to death about you... Fucking idiot..." Roderick muttered the last words before he turned his back.

 

"...Rody... I-"

 

"DON'T! Not a single word from you!" Roderick cut Errat's words before he gave him a side glare.

 

The captain's eyes widened as he saw what appears to be an orb of moisture pooling around Roderick's eyes. Yes, he was as furious as he could be. There was a look of hatred on that frowny face of his. Yet, there was fear hiding behind that expression of his.

 

Roderick continued to glare daggers at Errat, the single tear ran down his cheek, "...Think about yourself for once, you're the captain of this fleet. You can't die that easily for some lowly scum's life. Think about how the others would continue if you aren't around... Think about the people who care about you, damn it!" He clenched his jaw in rage - and yet there was this tug on his heart that he couldn't express openly.

 

Errat was stifled by how enraged Roderick was being to him at that moment, "...Rody..."

 

"If I die right there, then so be it! Wouldn't it be better that way? People admire and lean on you, you're their leader for fuck's sake! While I'm a nobody who's trying to get past through each day without any purpose!" He added before swinging the door of the room open.

 

"I'll be at the pub, don't follow me... You have to rest..." Roderick said before he slammed the door shut. Leaving Errat to reflect all alone in the cold, anguished space he's in.

 

"...Roderick..." Errat muttered before he stared down at the bandage that the other man had wrapped around his body. He gently caressed it and let out a deep sigh, "...Ya care for me that much, huh? Even when you called me an idiot..."

 

"Think about those who look up to you, Errat. They wouldn't be pleased if they saw you get hurt like this, would they?" A familiar voice echoed through the captain's mind.

An image of the past passed through Errat's mind for a moment before he chuckled, "...Think about the others... That's what he used to say to me back then..." He muttered before carefully standing up and stared at the door.

 

"...I should get some sleep..."

2