Chapter 16 : His Precious Sea-Star
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Cackling Storm's crew members were welcomed with open arms by the townspeople. Especially since some of them were finally reunited with their families and such. The street lights adorned the warm atmosphere as it brightened the whole town from the snowy climate.

 

"Tell me! Tell me! Were there any giant fish monsters out in the sea, Mister Roderick?!" One of the children who had swarmed Errat earlier asked as the adult squatted down to her level.

 

"Not really, but if we had caught one, there would likely to be a feast." Roderick replied with a calm tone, trying not to scare the children from him.

 

"And is it true that captain Errat stole the Royal Family's sacred heirloom a few months back?"

 

"Now that's true." Roderick replied as he was busy entertaining the children around him. Bombarding questions about his voyage as Jack listens to him answering to each of his friends. Though the adult's eyes were fixated on Errat and the anonymous woman with golden locks socializing with each other. He noticed that they were just... too close to only be acquaintances.

 

Roderick could only watch as both of them exchange greetings by kissing both of their cheeks. He felt discouraged, he wanted to ask, he wanted to know, he wanted Errat to spill everything. Though his pride was too high for him to ask for such things.

 

"Come on, Mister Roderick. Tell us more!" One of the children pleaded with googly eyes as the others were encouraging their friend as well.

 

Roderick let out a sigh internally as he was getting bombarded by childlike questions and wonder, "Hah... I wonder when they will let me go... One kid is easy, but dozens?.... I don't think so..."

 

"Alright, you all, sister Rose was calling for you all back for snacks!" A voice interrupted as their hands ruffled as many hair as they could cover. With the checkered bandana still wrapping around his forehead did he gave a wide, snarky grin towards the crowd of children.

 

Though the youngsters whined in disappointment, while Roderick sighed a relieved one, "But, Curtis... We're just getting to the best part!"

 

"Uh-huh, tell me that again and I'll tell sister Rose that you all won't get anymore snacks." Curtis smirked at the flock of children before all of their eyes shot wide.

 

"Not the snacks!"

 

"Please don't tell her that!"

 

"Okay! Okay! We'll go!"

 

The young children began to disperse one by one as they ran towards the chapel which was also an orphanage. Their beloved home, you can say. Roderick was about to turn away when he saw a young girl in front of him looking up at his eyes.

 

"Let's play again sometimes, Mister Roderick!" The girl giggled before she rotated her body away and ran towards the chapel.

 

Roderick was silent for a bit before his lips curled into a wry smile. He then crossed his arms and looked at Curtis, "Thanks for bailing me."

 

"No big deal, I'm just reminding them to behave. Besides, I bet that they'll be busy hearing the captain's shanty of stories that he's going to tell them." Curtis said as he watched the children hopping around the snow-covered ground with smiled on their faces.

 

"...They're orphans?"

 

"Yep, poor kids lost their homes since they're but bundles of small beans" Curtis replied as he looked at Roderick with a wry smile.

 

"They came from across the continent, each time we found an abandoned village or town the captain always prioritize to seek life before grabbing them treasures and gold." The cook added.

 

"And I suppose this is their safe haven, right?"

 

"True, the captain has always treated them as if they're his own. Bringing them goods and toys for them, sometimes books for those who are eager to learn about the world."

 

Roderick watched as the children entered the chapel one by one, emitting a fuzzy feeling in his heart. But a dark sensation was also creeping behind his back.

 

"But of course, there's just one special fella who has managed to capture the captain's heart and soul." Those words made Roderick's heart thump in fear as he glanced at the grinning cook.

 

As he was about to ask more, a distant voice called out to him, "Hey, Rody! Over here!" A familiar voice rang through the air. Making the said individual turned his head towards the voice.

 

There he sees Errat raising his arms up high and waved them towards him. While the anonymous woman was standing beside him with a gentle smile on her face. Roderick's heart beat faster as he was practically lost at what Curtis had just said.

 

Though he didn't want the captain to wait long so he reluctantly approached the two individuals.

 

"C'mere, Rody! I wanna introduce ya to someone!" Errat said as he hooked his arm around Roderick's neck. The latter looked at the woman in front of him, elegant and beautiful.

 

"...Guess the news has to come sooner..."

 

Errat patted Roderick on his back, oblivious to the inner turmoil the individual was having, "Rody, I want ya to meet Clera. Clera, this is Rody, one of the new crew members aboard my ship!"

 

The woman then extended her hand towards Roderick and smiled at him, "It's nice to meet you, Rody"

 

Roderick hesitantly took her hand and shook it, "It's... Roderick... and same goes to me..." His voice was laced with a hint of fear, afraid to face the woman as he was assuming that she was Errat's 'special someone.

 

"Ahh..." Clera then parted her hand from Roderick's before she narrowed her eyes at Errat, "Hey, you should have told me his full name! You're making me embarrass myself, Errat!" She exclaimed as her cheeks were blushing.

 

Errat cackled, "Well it's nice to see ya gettin' flustered, Clera. Nothing but a routine of seeing you bein' nervous whenever I get back~" He teased.

 

Clera gasped and hit Errat in the chest, "Oh you're such a sneak!"

 

Seeing their interaction, Roderick was entirely convinced that what he saw was proof of his theories. His mood sank as he averted his gaze from seeing the sight before him.

 

"...So, are you two seeing each other?" Roderick asked out of curiosity, he instantly wanted to curse himself for questioning such an obvious topic.

 

Clera glanced at Roderick for a brief moment before she turned her eyes towards Errat. And in an instant, she knew what was going on and rubbed the bridge of her nose.

 

The woman let out a sigh as she crossed her arms, "Errat, you didn't properly introduce me earlier!"

 

Errat tilted his head, obviously in confusion, "What? I thought I've done it right. I introduce ya to him and him to ya, easy peasy."

 

"No, you- Hah... Still the same as always." Clera then glanced at Roderick and gave him a wry smile, "Sorry if you misunderstood the situation." She chuckled before clearing her throat.

 

"Let me introduce myself again, properly." She shot a glare at Errat before she smiled warmly at Roderick, "My name is Clera de Crescent, I'm Errat's sister-in-law~"

 

Roderick stared at the woman after hearing her words, dumbfounded by the sudden fact. He was silent for a while, but he was internally glad that it was all just a misunderstanding.

 

"Oh yeah... Sorry bout that." Errat chuckled as he rubbed the back of his head before he smiled at Roderick, "Yeah, Clera's my sister. So she's family to me."

 

Roderick blankly stared at Errat and frowned, "Tell me that earlier before I jump to conclusions, you big idiot." He said in vexation, but he was wagging his imaginary dog tail about the relieving fact about Errat and Clera.

 

"By the way, where's my little seastar? Haven't seen her around here since I got here." Errat asked Clera.

 

"Oh you know, she's always going to the lake alone to draw what nature can offer her. Even in this weather, she's really eager to explore. Hah..." Clera sighed before she chuckled.

 

"She got it from her pops, nothing to worry about. If she can go out on her own, then that means she can take care of herself. Bet she will be back any minute now~"

 

Just as Errat said that, a loud gasp came from the distance, "Uncle Errat!!" A girlish voice called out to him.

 

When Roderick turned to see the source of the voice, he widened his eyes. A girl with short blonde hair and brown eyes was standing there in disbelief as her lips turned into a wide grin. She was wearing a dress and a thick coat while she carries a bag in her embrace.

 

"Big brother!!"

 

Roderick shook his head from the distant memory as he saw the similarity of the girl's smile to someone he used to know.

 

"Uncle! You're back!!" The young girl shouted as she ran towards Errat and wrapped her arms around his leg. Errat giggled as he picked up the girl into his arms, "I thought you're gone... You haven't sent me letters for the past couple of weeks"

 

Errat smiled and ruffled the girl's hair, "There, there, everythin's fine, just a mild setback. How cruel would I be if I weren't longing for my little sea star's presence whenever I visited?" The captain pressed a kiss on the girl's cheek before the girl hugged him back.

 

Roderick watched as Errat carried the girl as if she was as light as a feather. The latter then turned to Roderick, "Sorry bout that. Meet my little seastar, Vivian. Vivian, this is... Roderick, he's a new crew member on uncle's ship. You can call 'im Rody for short." He winked towards the young girl.

 

Roderick's brows twitched at the last few words.

 

"It's nice to meet you, Rody!" Vivian reached out her hand towards Roderick and giggled.

 

"..." Roderick then shook her hand, "The pleasure's mine."

 

Errat then booped Vivian's nose, "I got somethin' for ya, it's really, really special~"

 

Vivian gasped, "What is it? What is it?!"

 

"Now, now, you go and clean yourself first, Vivi." Clera chimed in.

 

Vivian pouted as she looked at her mother, "But why?"

 

"You've been out there since morning, you're all dirty. If you do that, I'm sure that your uncle's going to give what he has for you~"

 

Vivian grunted and pouted a little, "Okay... But it better be worth it, uncle!" She then jumped out of Errat's arms and proceeded to enter the house by herself.

 

"I'll go after her and help clean herself, don't stay in the cold for too long you two," Clera added as she turned around and followed her daughter.

 

Roderick hummed as he glanced at Errat, "...So, a niece, huh?"

 

"Yep! She's my little sea star, one of a kind~"

 

"And that the book is for her, isn't it?" Roderick asked.

 

"Mhmm! She likes to draw things, her drawings are pretty good for someone her age. So I decided to give her the best book there is. Made with high-quality materials and love of course~" Errat winked at Roderick.

 

Roderick stared at the captain for a while before he chuckled, "Handmade gifts are the best."

 

"True that, come, let's go inside. It's getting cold out here." Errat motioned towards Roderick to follow him.

 

Roderick nodded as a light blush appeared on his cheeks, "Sure..."

0