Chapter 19 : Run As Far As Your Legs Carry You
25 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Roderick widened his eyes as he felt moisture streaming down his cheeks. Unsure just from when he had started letting out tears in front of the two children, “Oh...” He then wiped his tears using his sleeves before sheathing back his dagger to its rightful place.

 

“It’s nothing, I just remembered something.” Roderick then wryly smiled at Vivian and Jack before he patted their heads, “You can say it’s one of the many flowers I found likable.”

 

Both children hummed in acknowledgment, “Where did you get it?”

 

“...From someone I knew...” The adult then took a good look around before he stood up, “Let’s go back, it’s getting pretty windy up here. Remember what your uncle said, Vivian?”



“Awwhh, but we still want to explore around!” Vivian complained. 

 

Roderick shook his head, “No, Vivian. We already have a deal, once the wind’s picking up we’re going back to the town. Besides, we can do it tomorrow, right?”

 

“Mnhh… Okay...”

 

A hand then ruffled Vivian’s hair, “Good, now let’s get going. Don’t stray too far from me, you two.” Roderick reminded. 

 

“Aye, aye!” Both Jack and Vivian saluted towards the adult before they both giggled. 

 

And so, the three of them began to journey back towards the town of Ominum. Passing through large dirt paths and surrounded by greeneries blanketed by the thick, white cover of snow. It was like a Winter Wonderland.

 

“When I get home, I’m going to give these flowers to my mom and uncle!” Vivian said in an excited voice as she held hands with Jack while they walked. 

 

“Hm! And I’m going to make it into a bookmark! It would be good for me to bring it on my next voyages!” Jack replied as he swung his arms with his friend.

 

Vivian pouted as she looked at Jack, “No fair! I want to go on a voyage too! Especially with Uncle Errat! I want to travel around the continent and learn new things!”

 

The young boy scoffed as he pulled up on his scarf, “Wait until you’re nine years old! Like me! I'm a boy sailing the seas with the notorious Cackling Storm’s crew on board! When we dock at your ports, you’ll scream in terror of our arrival that comes abruptly like a storm!” Jack pumped his fist high in the sky with vigor.

 

Roderick shook his head as he heard the conversation between the two young adventurous individuals, “Watch your step, you might trip.” He said, walking not far behind them.

 

“Okay!”

 

Roderick nonchalantly watched as the two children exchanged laughs and giggles. It was as if they’re in their own world. Roderick wryly smiled as he watched, ”These two are lucky to have each other… And people who are family to them... What if I ruined it?... The reason I pushed them away at first was because I don’t want them to-” His train of thoughts was abruptly stopped when he noticed that Jack and Vivian stopped in their tracks. 

 

Both of them began to take a few steps back from their spot, “M-Mister Roderick...” Jack said in a trembled voice. Her voice made Roderick instantly alarmed and proceeded to shield the young children behind him. Holding them close to his body as he watched what it was that had scared Vivian and Jack.

 

A deep growl came from what seemed to be a man at first. Though it was later revealed when the creature stepped forward from the shadows, most of their body mutated in a gruesome way. Dark tainted patches of veins spread throughout the disfigured areas. Hands became giant claws that were humane no more. Fangs that could easily rip flesh into bits in an instant. Eyes covered in Crimson red slitted pupils. 

 

Only one conclusion could be made from the creature’s appearance. 

 

Roderick knitted his brows in distress, “...A daemon...” He then pulled Jack and Vivian closer to him as he heard more growls coming from around them. The man turned his head around as he watched several more daemons emerging from the forest, “...Shit, so you’re not alone.”

 

“M-Mister Roderick… I-I’m scared...” Vivian stutteringly said as she gripped onto Roderick’s trousers.

 

Hearing her plead, Roderick grew more determined to keep these two safe. He knew what he had to do, it was the only way. Carefully unsheathing his dagger, he gently stroked Vivian’s hair, “Vivian, Jack, I want you two to do one thing for me. Hear me out, alright?” He whispered. 

 

Both children nodded, letting Roderick know that they’re listening, “Alright...” He then scanned the area and found an opening between the horde of daemons, “When I said run, go and head straight to that path.” He then pointed his head in the current direction, “I’ll try and distract them so that you two can escape.” 

 

“W-We can’t leave you here, Mister Roderick...”

 

“Listen… You two are the bravest kids I have ever seen around here and you can do anything if you have the guts. I’ll be right behind you, what matters is that you two get to safety first… Promise me you won’t look back...”

 

Jack and Vivian looked at each other with frightened looks on their faces before they nodded their heads, “P-Please don’t get hurt...”

 

“...I won’t be hurt that easily,” Roderick said as he noticed that the daemons were standing on their grounds. Looking straight at the adult’s movements and carefully getting into their stances.

 

“...” Roderick took a deep breath before exhaling it and instantly threw his dagger to one of the daemon’s heads, ”Time to get them out of here before they see me...”



“RUN!!”

0