Chapter 21 : The Silence Within the Blizzard
313 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was quiet, no one was exchanging any words. The wind had turned into a heavy blizzard, bringing sheer cold to the two individuals inside of a cave. Only the flicker and crackling sounds of flame burning on top of some sticks could be heard. One individual was gazing at what was happening outside. While the other had curled himself into a ball far from the bonfire. 

 

“...” Errat remained silent as he watched the ongoing blizzard outside of the cave, showing no signs of it slowing down. He flattened his lips before he turned to look at the still disfigured Roderick.

 

The fire illuminated some light on his back - though vaguely showed his hideous body. Hiding his face in his knees as his claw-like arm hugged his legs.

 

“...” That half-man, half-daemon didn’t say anything after the captain had found out about his secret.

 

Before they could even comprehend what had happened earlier, the wind grew more wild around them both. Indicating that the awaited blizzard was about to lay itself upon the land. Not wanting to return to the town in his current condition, Roderick only suggested that they found shelter. After that, he didn’t spew anymore words.

 

“...” Errat stared at the other man before he stood up from his spot and walked towards Roderick, “...Aren’t you cold, Rody? Come and sit next to the fire.” He offered.

 

“...No… Shouldn’t you go back to the town and not be anywhere near a monster like me?” Roderick said in a monotonous voice. 

 

Errat shook his head and lightly frowned while his brows knitted together in concern, “I can’t just leave you here out in the cold… You’re not a monster, Roderick...”

 

“...You could tell me that again...” Roderick lifted his head and turned it to the side as he glanced at Errat, “Do I look like a normal human to you right now?” Those words made the captain’s heart sink even more.

 

“..Errat… Look at me… I’m a daemon… You’re not supposed to be anywhere near them or you’ll end up getting hurt… and possibly worse.” He said before he buried his face deep in his knees once more.

 

Errat paused for a moment after hearing that before he sat behind Roderick - a few feet apart to give the man some space, “...But you’re still you, Rody. How can I ignore you even if you’re like this?” He paused for a moment, “...You saved my life back in Dungan, Rody… Did you also transform like this back then?” The man asked as he recalled Jack’s testimony on what had happened all those months ago. 

 

Roderick could only nod at that, “...But I was able to turn back instantly and not like this...” He replied in a quiet voice.

 

“You being a daemon changes nothing between you and me. You’re the Roderick who’s stubborn, smart, brave, and even have the guts to scold me. How could I just up and leave you so easily?”

 

“...You should have done that a long time ago… Those months ago I told you to stay away from me. To just leave me back at the port to be caught by those guards. Or maybe throw me into the sea… There’s a reason why I don’t want anyone to be close to me… But you just don’t fucking listen and keep treating me as if I’m one of your crew.” Roderick gripped his leg and embraced it tighter in his arms. 

 

“Then I make bonds with the others and have good memories with them. Even wanting to make sure that none of them would get hurt. And now you decided to bring me here… Your own hometown… The place where your loved ones live, and you let in a monster like me right into this town...” Roderick continued as Errat silently listened to the man’s regretful words.

 

“...You’re going to lose everyone you love if you stay with me. A disgusting daemon who can infect anyone with his blood and turn them into daemons like him...”

 

Errat’s heart was torn into pieces upon hearing those words from the one who he cared about the most, “...Rody… Why would you say that, hmm?” He took off his coat and wrapped it around the man’s back. The silver-haired man proceeded to envelop the distressed individual in his embrace from behind. 

 

“You’re not like that, you may be a cactus at first but you slowly opened up to us all. You showed that you cared about the others, especially Jack. You wanted him to feel comfortable around you, right?... You sympathised with him because he lost his family… And you cared about him as if he’s your own family, right?” Errat whispered next to Roderick’s ear as a puff of cold air escaped his lips.

 

Roderick frowned more upon hearing those heart-warming words. His Emerald eyes began to glisten and filled with moisture, “You still don’t know what I could do… What I had done in the past… I don’t deserve to be welcomed anywhere, even to be accepted in a new family… I just… can’t bear to lose another one...” He said as a teardrop began to run down his cheek.

 

“...” Errat nuzzled the man’s neck and pulled him into his chest to fully embrace him, “...It’s been hard for you, isn’t it, Rody?” He said in a hoarse voice as he could detect immense sorrow coming from Roderick’s voice. 

 

In the middle of the crackling fire, a sniff could be heard. A single sniff then turned into quiet sobs, his disfigured body parts began to slowly turn back. Tears began to drip continuously into the cold, stony ground. There were no words exchanged, though from what Errat could see and hear - he already knew the answer to his question.

 

“...I’m here for you...”

 

And for a while, the man in sorrow began to wail his heart out in Errat’s arms. His heart burns with searing pain as he recalls those terrifying memories from the past. Ones that made him broken and lifeless before he joined the Cackling Storm.

.

.

.

.

.

 

“Catch me if you can!!” A child giggled as he was playing tag with a friend of his. Happily running under the bright sun with a big grin on his face. It was then interrupted when he tripped on a pebble and was about to hit the ground face first. 

 

“Wahh!” He shouted, shutting his eyes closed to prepare for the impact. Though he didn’t feel the hard pounce on his face. Feeling as if his body had been caught in mid-air, “H-Huh?” He muttered as he slowly opened his eyes. 

 

“Watch it, you could have gotten hurt, Finn.” A voice coming from a teenager with Auburn hair came upon the child’s ears. He looked at his savior who was wrapping his arm around his waist while his other arm was carrying some sacks filled with food.

 

The child gasped, “Roderick!”

0