Chapter 7- A Deal Made At Midnight
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wan Mingyue was already on his last jar drowning wine like spring water on a hot summer day. His midnight eyes were completely dead compared to the moonlight. As if his mind and body weren't attached, his lips closed as the wine chugged down along his throat to his collarbones soaking the already damp front rope from his messy drinking.

Gu Changming must have noticed the abnormality because his hand seemed to loosen its grip on the sword.

"You should leave."

His voice was being swept away by the howling wind but General Gu heard it barely. It surprised him because it didn't sound like a warning but a plea even. "Wan Ming-"

"Leave," it sounded like the air was speaking. A wall of cold wind started to slam against his side. His hair danced like a whirlpool slapping against his face and his feet could barely hold on for him.

Something was absolutely wrong.

"Wan Mingyue, come down! Don't be such a coward!" General Gu was gathering his flame but he had terrible concentration because he kept being rushed by the wind and all the while he had to keep an eye out for his enemy on the willow tree.

Staring mysterious up the sky as if he could see his reflection above the vastness, Wan Mingyue was not moving. The wine jar was now broken in his bloody hand but he seemed to not notice. A wicked grin flashed across his face suddenly and he moved to unsheathe his sword.

When Gu Changming saw this, he was furious. His sword that was dimming in color burst like a firecracker and suddenly, he propelled himself with a foot, jumping sword first towards the tree. But that was the least shocking movement of all because halfway towards his target, blood spilled onto his furious face. Baffled, he kicked the trunk and backed away in frenzy.

Blood?

"I told you to leave," There came a chilly voice from no other albeit wavering a little. Wan Mingyue was sitting in red. His pale face half-dyed in his own blood and he was shaking. Shaking from the deep gush from his arm.

The scene of the red willow tree caused Gu Changming to freeze like an iceberg. Bewilderment couldn't describe his expression which was much like a child who committed his first crime. He had dropped his sword without knowing.

"Someday, I will have to kill you for seeing what you shouldn't have seen." After he spoke, he retrieved a handkerchief from his breast pocket and pressed it against his forearm with a cold face.

Gu Changming felt a lump in his throat and he could not swallow it, "What have you just done?" His eyes were quite red and bulging.

"Not a thing," Wan Mingyue hissed. He seemed more pissed as minutes ticked by. "If you ask me another question, I'll slice your throat and feed it to the shrine."

Now that seemed to wake General Gu up a little. He kicked his sword and lifted the weapon up with a murderous expression that was more well-suited with his sharp brows, "I do not have a tendency to assume, however, this could very well explain your erratic and immoral behaviors. Wan Mingyue, how is your mind so messed up beyond redemption that you harm yourself even?"

The willow man was now posing his significant aloof expression despite being slowly drained off of blood. But, his midnight blue eyes were also directed at Gu Changming, surprisingly enough, with no malice nor contempt. He was simply staring, quilling his way into the man's soul. And when it started to bring discomfort to General Gu, he finally spoke up in a calm voice, "Why don't we both make a deal?"

It would be extremely suspicious if those words were to come out of the mouth of the red nose guy, for example. However, Wan Mingyue sounded more strange than suspicious at that moment to the point where General Gu was willing to listen without a retort. Just a little.

"I will help you catch the Midnight Magnolia. But, after that, you will also have to do something for me."

He was reluctant to answer but he was burning with curiosity, "What?"

"...You have to kill him. For me."

A moment later, General Gu was choosing between dragging this guy to court and nodding his head. "You sure are arrogant. Why should I believe your words?"

"General Gu, you're currently at a disadvantage," Wan Mingyue averted his sharp gaze with an irritated face. "You might have known my name for a week. However, why would you think it also applies to me? Your personality, your behaviors, and your actions. If you had at least try, you would have half the chance to capture me to court. But, you didn't. You came here alone without your minions listening to who you believe as a petty criminal. You do not need to hide. You desire to use me because you know I have information. Information only I do have should I clarify."

They listened to wind chimed and the sound of twisting willow together. Suddenly, there was a particle of snow. Then another. And, another. One landed on his eyelid. Another landed on his lips. Gu Changming gazed up at the man above. He was turning his face away. But somehow...he was looking like the moon itself. His bloodied face. His ugly wound. His long lashes and his cold cheeks. His whole presence.

Solemn. Cruel. Majestic.

Wan Mingyue had made it snow.

-
February 24

The inn owner, no longer, looked at Gu Changming weirdly anymore. The fact that he waltzed in and out in a total of three hours of sleep, he did not find intrigue like the last time. The man would always leave in complete silence to Baidu Inn except that this time, General Gu had another company.

"How long will it take?" He spoke rigidly across the table like he half wanted to be there.

"Six months."

General Gu was not having it, "No."

"That's the fastest we can do. The longer you stall, the more victims there are," Wan Mingyue seemed to be trying his best to eat without speaking.

"Six months mean six more victims. It is not an option to stall."

"Gu Changming, this is not the place to discuss."

After they left, Wan Mingyue was leading him to the outskirt of town. Along the way, he did not speak and his footsteps were light and quick. It felt absolutely strange to be civilized with this man, but General Gu was all about work and he followed without much complaint.

When they started to reach the mountain pass, the man in front uttered, "Perhaps you have been shut too much in your office. Where I am going to take you is the reason why it will take longer to capture the Midnight Magnolia." Not too long into the evening, the top of a building was visible among the dense forest. As they crossed a broken bridge over the river, the front gate of the manor came into view. "This is the Noble Su's old manor. It has been abandoned half a decade and no one dares to cross that bridge we just did."

Gu Changming fixed his gaze over the unpolished courtyard and dirty ponds. "The Su?"

"Even though they weren't the richest among the nobles of this town, they had good trading business with the south and absolutely no one could compete with their service in the industry. But, when the river froze, the family relocated to the western province. It was undoubtedly the worse choice anyone could think of and indeed, out of ordinary."

"The Su keeps a very low profile."

"It is true. Not many people talked about their strange behavior and those who did disappear."

This was even new to General Gu. "Elaborate."

"You see, this mountain used to be the farmlands after the war. Farmers traded theirs produces to the noble family and the noble family traded with the locals of Meijing town." Wan Mingyue turned his body to a giant bamboo that grew wildly by the other side of the courtyard. "However, this noble family was not famous because of its business but because of the young mistress of Su. She was a beauty and a sweetheart to many."

Gu Changming was not surprised.

"Every new year, when the festival hit, she would be seen in town carrying flowered lanterns and newly bought hair ornaments. But, one day, she was never seen again. And, the family relocated a year after." He slowly turned, "What do you think happened?"

"You are indeed the storyteller. Many would appreciate, truly, but never me."

"..." Wan Mingyue refused to speak.

"She was stalked by a man and her family decided to shut her home for her safety. But, it gradually turned worse and they decided to leave."

There was suddenly a smile. A small smile of nothing but amusement. "Maybe you are more ignorant than I thought."

General Gu was rushing towards him but he stopped right in front of his face. His eyes burnt a solid red, "Tell me what happened then, enlightened one."

The other's midnight blue ones seemed to snow all over him again, "She was sacrificed."

That, Gu Changming had no retort too. He wished he could at least shake his collars and threatened him to stop joking. But, the bigger idiot was him, and thus, he was rendered off of any speeches.

"The next part," Wan Mingyue locked their gazes as if to inquire if he was truly ready to hear. General Gu felt a pang of fear in his heart. He should not believe so easily what this guy had said. "It will destroy your whole perception of everything around you."

Despite that, he found himself swallowing and hitching. Something rang in his ears but he paid no heed. "What? What was she sacrificed for?"

No, don't say it.

"The demons."

 

 

0