Chapter 8- The Joint Force of the Fiercest Temper (1)
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Gu Changming!" Wan Mingyue was calling him suddenly and then a figure filled his version as he was wheeled around still in shock.

There was a loud groan as the light from a sword flashed across his face. Wan Mingyue was fighting someone in front of them. The red and blue garment fluttered everywhere in the air like a weird folk dance. While they were engaging in the sword fight, General Gu started to gather his composure.

"Wan Mingyue, step back! Your arm is bleeding." Having commanded, he rushed towards the newcomer with a vigorous slash. It only cut slightly the red fabric mask he was wearing because the guy had an amazing reflection and he kept dodging in time.

"They are nimble but they lack strength." Gu Changming heard Wan Mingyue from behind.

With a sneaky kick, the stranger's sword flew out of his hand. And, General Gu charged forward directly towards their throat. He squeezed with a passion and a temper, "A little rat, you are."

The attacker was already hauled up about half a meter into the air. The rims of his eyes were red as if they were pleading the two.

"Kill him. He's a half-demon."

General Gu nearly lost his grip learning the information. His skin burnt like a fire but he gritted his teeth followed by a loud snapping sound. The body slumped like a loose rope. As he took a step back, the mask fell off revealing a blood-curling smile.

It was smiling all along waiting for its death.

He bumped into Wan Mingyue and he heard a hissing sound of pain. The blue sleeve had turned a bloody red upon just a few moves. "Let me see." Without waiting for permission, he opened the sleeve with a brief swipe. There was no sort of bandages going on at all.

"Let go."

"You are indeed arrogant. Do you think it will heal itself if you just let it be?" His palm was a burning furnace when it dragged the other's wrist along to the little bamboo garden. "A man like you should have been familiar with injuries," he spoke in a cruel tone as they found shades above their heads.

A purple handkerchief was retrieved from Gu Changming's belt sash. He had a neat hand that wrapped prettily but the expression on his face was nothing of beauty and grace. When it was done, Wan Mingyue retreated like a scared hamster, stomping towards the corpse under the sun.

"How do you know?"

"They have been following me around."

"They?" He kicked away the smiling face.

"I have killed at least half their nests. They have to keep coming to keep me in check. Otherwise, I will blow their whole cover."

Gu Changming slowly looked at the aloof man, "You lured me here so you could present your proof in case I did not trust your words."

"Their eyes all turn a dull gray after death," Wan Mingyue continued. "That is a way to recognize a half-demon."

"Only after their deaths."

"There is also another way...however with ambiguity it is. When humans turn into demons, they lose their elemental abilities but gain the dark curse. They will hesitate or become aggressive once you force them to use their elements."

General Gu was very interested in the corpse so he retrieved his qiankun bag and performed the corpse preservation technique all under the pair of midnight blue eyes. "Demons...They have been chased off to their realms after the war."

"That is the not case, Gu Changming." The other's face was cold and bitter even as if a distant memory triggered some unpleasant feelings. "What if I tell you we didn't win the war 76 years ago? But instead, we have been offering annual sacrifice in order to contain peace?"

Suddenly, like a statue, he froze. And then the General was leaving the manor. From behind, his long loosen hair glowed under the sun but his figure trembled a little marching into the distant forest all up in his head.

Wan Mingyue didn't follow.

-

Nantong Inn had been having steam of customers lately as of the New Year. The highest esteemed had been General Gu Changming from the south of Liyuan. The unique guest had a peculiar picky tendency that inn-owner would say it had made him almost wanted to kick him out. Today, after the sun took its rest, the person was seen to have returned from his who knew what journey he had just come from.

Just before he beckoned for the chef to prepare for another stressful evening, he was scared speechless when the man in his whole angry glory approached him straight in line. Perhaps he had given himself too much credit for being able to stir the General's emotion because it had turned out that he was just half-blocking the way to the stairs.

The night rolled in with its dark blanket of perfect stars. There was a room without any sources of the night lamp, the occupant laid rigid in his bed and his long silky hair caressed the bed frame lightly. Though his eyes were shut, his brows were twitching and the scene under delicate thin lids was that not of this world.

He dreamt of a woman, her beautiful half-ado sprinkled with faithful jasper of intricate carvings. And her smile, so beautiful like the sea tide of dawn. His little hands went forward to catch hers and he was immediately flying towards the gleaming sun with giggles that would echo through the sea. "Ah Ming!" She would softly call, her sunset eyes in half-moons.

-


Wan Mingyue was waiting by Baidu Inn the next day as usual. He didn't inquire about his feelings on yesterday's revelation nor hint at today's activity. The pair finished their lunches in silence against the chitchatting background of customers.

Sooner, Wan Mingyue led him towards the sea, a good surprise for the General. "Why are we here?" He asked hesitantly, his voice trying to hide his satisfaction.

Was his dream telling him something?

"It's a good place to tell a story."

A big wave crashed against the shore. Wan Mingyue's face was open and transparent against the horizon. He noticed for the first time that the man had put away his hair in a high ponytail secured by a baby blue hair clasp. And, his gaze was no longer as fierce while watching the sea.

"Sometimes it is preferable to ignore a truth so deep-rooted, so murky on the surface. Sometimes, it is beyond your capability. Sometimes, you get scared before it even turns to bite you back. Such truth...," his lips paused. "Such truth will require bravery even to hear."

Such a melancholic thought.

"Because such truth will tempt you to move." General Gu was looking at a group of seagulls above. "This continent is overrun by demons. Wan Mingyue, you give me this information because you also expect me to save this world. And, you're not afraid that I would refuse. You will kill me if I do."

"..." The loud waves seemed like a good excuse not to speak.

"Let's start with the half-demons. Tell me all that you know."

"Most of them came from poverty and were prisoners before the war.  I have been searching for their main quarter all over the continent however it seemed as that their system is still loose and they are scattered everywhere with a head demon in about twenty or thirty demons per group. Some groups seemed to be assigned for specific people or for gathering information back for the demonic realm. The previous day, we were attacked by a group that had been tailing me for a quite while."

General Gu listened with an indifferent face however the corner of his lips was curling down before he asked, "What are their purpose? The demons surely can cause war, but they will never achieve victory, not with their current power. Producing half-demons...what do they really want other than inciting chaos?"

"Inciting chaos..." Wan Mingyue had a stilled expression but his tone was that of ridicule. "Our continent is rather peaceful, wouldn't you say?" He suddenly turned, his eyes slightly red.

There was a space between the two. A space that both of them knew well enough without speaking. However stubborn General Gu was, he was never one without a conscience so he took a step closer with an unwavering gaze, "I, Gu Changming, would not and never join forces in this evil! From the day I have stepped into position, there is not a day I do not close an eye to injustice and crimes. Why do you not take a look at yourself and your unlawful way before pointing fingers?"

"You never ignore injustice, you say?" His face became cloudly like he would want to beat some sense to him but his fists were calm under his sleeves. "Well then, I will give you another chance to admit the truth once we catch the Midnight Magnolia."

"You bastard."

"For the sake of our deal," Wan Mingyue started walking away. The background of the sea against his beautiful face and slender figure was very much something to marvel at if it weren't for his dark expression. "It is only viable that we cooperate."

Gu Changming didn't look at his retreating figure as he gazed out into the horizon instead. Soon after, he promptly followed. They were walking in the direction of Nantong Inn, Gu Changming had realized. "Why are we returning?"

"We should be leaving for the South in the next day."

"What is with the wait? If we ride at this time, we will arrive by night. It is not necessary to lounge around half a day."

Wan Mingyue didn't respond but his shoulders, if you took a closer look, were sagging a little. Finally, when they made it to the inn, he went to find the owner right away. "I will pay you for a horse."

The chubby man was baffled, "Excuse me, sir?" When he noticed Gu Changming approached, he looked even more surprised.

"Bring my horse back from the stable as well. I will pay full for today." Dropping a silver onto the dark wood counter, his eyes were averted to the man next to him. "This will pay for his horse as well."

"There is no need."

"I insist."

"..." Wan Mingyue's expression could have killed the inn owner right there and then so he rushed immediately to arrange their requests.

'Do not confuse. This is the Investigation Bureau's money. It is for covering your expense while you-" He didn't want to say 'help' so he got stuck a bit, "are to catch the criminal in exchange for your jail sentence."

General Gu was ignored until the inn-owner came back then Wan Mingyue placed a whole bag of coin that rattled heavily in front of the two. "No need to count. It's enough for a horse."

Hearing what seemed more like a command than a reassurance, the man nodded with hesitancy. His feet drummed the ground slowly as he led them to the back stable.

They traveled to the South without a word between them. General Gu felt like this would be a good way forward for the both of them- only talked when necessary.

 

 

0