Chapter 9: The joint force of the fiercest temper (2)
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Now they had been traveling for a while, Wan Mingyue still did not speak of their plan. He would occasionally take small rests in between the hours feeding his horse and gazing silently at the horizon. It felt peaceful when he did not speak because his appearance soothed one's heart like a cool spring found in the deep forest.

When Gu Changming saw the southern gate, he made an effort to slow down his horse so Wan Mingyue could make it beside him. "You have not told me why you are taking me back to my hometown. Is it the Midnight Magnolia or the demons?"

His eyelashes stood out as his solemn gaze was fixed on the distant town. "Both."

Even though frustration rushed through him, General Gu kept a firm image as they reached the town's gate. A few guards that came forward immediately bowed to the familiar face of the General and they asked no question when Wan Mingyue followed on his horse.

In fact, Panzhou was the only town in Liyuan with an exclusive iron gate because the renowned sect, the Nightstone sect, was located here and it was the hometown of Gu Jiahao, the chief sect leader of Lianwu Grand Sect. Such an important person, money was poured endlessly into establishing security.

"We shall go to the Bureau. My subordinates must be informed of my presence and our plan."

Wan Mingyue stopped on his horse, "There is no need. You can reveal your presence here whereas mine, you must keep a secret. This deal only includes you and me. I have not agreed to work with the Investigation Bureau, do not be confused."

Gu Changming thought in his heart that the guy's presence had been more or less revealed if he was to be around himself, the General. Nevertheless, he must see how solid the plan was so he decided to keep the deal a secret.

It was already very dark. Some lanterns had been extinguished from the night air. While Gu Changming steered his horse directly to his residence, he noticed that Wan Mingyue was lagging behind with a frown.

So he decided to ask, "Earlier, you spent all your coins on the horse. How else can you find a place to sleep?"

He heard no reply for a moment and as he was about to speak again, Wan Mingyue interrupted in a low irritated tone, "I can sleep on a tree branch. I can sleep anywhere. It is none of your business."

"..." He breathed into the cold stale air, "Where you choose to sleep does not matter. However, if you want to keep your identity a secret while being seen around with me, you have no choice but to fake one."

He obviously didn't understand by his absence of response so Gu Changming elaborated, "It is easier to put words into people's mouths rather than having them choose those words themselves. I will, therefore, lie that you are my personal errand boy and thus-"

"No." The 'personal errand boy' spat out his objection ruthlessly.

"This title is the best we can do."

"Why? You can't say you have a friend, do you?"

A cold wind swept past and General Gu no longer wanted to bicker, "And so do you. As you have said, it is best we cooperate. My residence has a spare room. It will be easier to communicate and plan future actions."

It really did work on Wan Mingyue by using his own words to persuade him. When they reached the blue manor gate, a servant boy opened the door hurriedly. He seemed to have only woken up as he stared at the new guest.

"Young master, you have brought a guest?" This guy did not inform the house of his sudden return and thus, they had to get everything ready in the middle of the night. Moreover, he even brought a guest for the first time in forever.

"Give him a spare room. He is my personal errand boy from now on."

There was a loud crack that surprised both the master and the servant. It seemed that the errand boy had picked up a sturdy branch from the ground and broken it upon hearing them talking. His face looked majestically aloof but his aura was freezing cold.

"...Do as I say." General Gu immediately left with furrowed brows.

The room in the courtyard adjacent to the main room was lit up. Charcoals were burnt for heating and the servants did a quick sweep of the dirty space. Meanwhile, Wan Mingyue was watching the fish pond outside seeming so tranquil in his own presence.

"May I ask for your name, sir?" The servant boy interrupted from behind. The reason that he sounded so polite to an errand boy was that he did not believe that his young master would actually bring one out of the blue like this at all. The whole manor was managed by the Master himself. Whether it was a servant or a personal guard, nothing went past him without his permission.

And, General Gu was never one to bother with something as tedious as this. He has never even kept an effort to establish friendships with the other nobles. Whoever this person was, he must have been very useful to the young master.

"...Wan Mingyue."

Moreover, this guy looked like a young master himself from a noble family if not a bit poorer than most. Thinking that the servant brought him to his new room. "The young master's chamber is just in the courtyard adjacent. As his personal assistant, you must wake up before him which is at the time of rabbit-"

"Get out."

"Wh-" He hurriedly shut his mouth and retreated scared of the cold voice.

When the morning came, Gu Changming was eating alone at the pavilion behind his chamber. He saw that the servant boy wanted to tell him something but was too nervous. "Speak now."

His bulging eyes resembled that of a deer before he bowed his face down and clutched his tray tight, "The sir that young master had brought, might have been served poorly by us. I-it's our fault however we do not know what we have done..."

"What are you exactly saying?"

The servant boy suddenly dropped to his knees, "I'm sorry, young master!! This is our first time serving a guest, we have done a poor job!"

He sighed into his breakfast, "Did he not like the accommodation?"

As if a frightful memory was tormenting him, the servant boy spoke out in a shaky voice. "L-Last night, we woke up to loud noises from his room. When we entered, it seemed like he had destroyed all the furniture inside in a fit of anger. But when he saw us, he shouted for us to get out repeatedly. We were very scared..." he breathed before he continued, "After we rushed to get out, out of the crack of the door, I saw that he had gotten his sword out..."

Gu Changming was reminded of the time by the willow tree. Instantly, he lost his appetite. "Did he hurt himself?"

The servant boy looked shocked and frightened at the same time because he feared punishment. "My lord, I deserve to be beaten to death!"

"Call him over."

"M-my lord?"

Gu Changming turned a sharp gaze at him and he was immediately running. A moment later, he came back alone. "H-he didn't allow me in the room and he told me...he told me...to tell you...to not bother him."

General Gu never met such a rude guest. Then again, he felt like the bastard was definitely hiding something so he trudged to the room by himself.

As if his shadow by the paper door alarmed the one residing inside, he heard a bitter voice. "Come in if you seek death."

General Gu cracked open the door indifferently. The first thing he stepped on was a table fragment. After he adjusted his eyes to the surroundings, a foreboding feeling entered his body. The room was completely ruined to the point that it looked like it was being renovated.

Nonetheless of the destruction, a person was sitting atop a half-broken bed. His midnight blue hair was messy with pieces of the things he destroyed and his rope was torn in places and dyed with dry and flowing blood at the same time. Yet, his eyes were closed and his face was serene unlike the threats that spilled out of his mouth, "Gu Changming, do you not truly wish to live? The deal, we have, I can do it all alone."

He didn't respond because his gaze was fixed on a gush on his arm. It was the same injured one from last time. At this point, only a fool would pretend it was normal. "Wan Mingyue, what happened to you? What did you do to yourself?"

As expected, his brows furrowed angrily and when his midnight blue eyes opened to meet his, it was as if the room was snowing. He felt an undeniable chill in his spine. "What a nosy person you are."

"I have to be if you are to keep destroying my home."

Wan Mingyue stood up. "I would like to remind you that this was your idea. From now onwards, I will find my own place."

As he passed by the General, his wrist was pulled back by a strong grip. His eyes were bright like a firecracker, and his voice was low but it carried a hint of sincerity. "I won't ask of your strange behavior but stay here and treat your wounds. It's the best for both of us."

Just like that, he was out of the door leaving the stunned figure inside. Not for long, a group of servants was outside his door looking at the ground. He let them in but he left by himself.

Several days passed.

Wan Mingyue never returned after that day.

Spring was coming and General Gu was stuck in his study because of the unfinished works piled up after five months of catching Midnight Magnolia. He had committed to finally work on those cases this time.

It was an unexplainable feeling when the servant boy informed him of a guest. He had rolled away from his scrolls and dropped his brush instantly. Even though his footsteps were light, he arrived quickly at the main guest room.

It was truly Wan Mingyue.

"You have finally come," he heard himself blurt out. He didn't know why it felt awkward out loud between them.

The other was dressed in a new dark gray rope and his midnight blue hair was still as long as his waist unrestrained and flowing down his shoulders. "...We have an important task today."

"I see," General Gu turned to his servant calmly. "Don't touch the study room. There is no need to prepare food for dinner as well. I do not know when I will return."

0