7 Years, Central Village. Coefficient
38 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

7 Years, Central Village. Magic coefficient

This day, I slept unusually long. My mother was still at home, but on the verge of leaving.

“Good morning, Rei. Up so late?”

I decide not to answer, as the answer should be obvious.

“Anyway, have you heard? There is a magician in the village today. He's conducting some sort of testing, he announced that yesterday. I heard it when I sold gatherings on the market. Are you interested?”

“I already knew that, and I am only moderately interested. I already know what the result is going to be anyway.”

There is no need to reaffirm what became apparent yesterday, it would only be a waste of time.

“Confident as always, I see. Well, I think you should give it a try anyway. Would be nice to see proof that Rei's magic power is one in a million!”

Maybe I should have told my parents that I already met Arstibal? They told me not to talk about my research after all, so I kept quiet yesterday.

“Well, I'll be going now. Have fun!” My mother says, cheerful as always, and leaves. I simply nod.

After relieving myself, I head to the marketplace. I do not have anything better to do, after all. It could be interesting to take a peek at what the other villagers have as their coefficient.

A crowd already assembled here, around half of the villages residents are present. I do not see my father, which only makes sense. Arstibal notices me, and I think seeing a faint smile hushing over his face.

“My name, ladies and gentlemen, is Arstibal. I am a magician on behalf of the magic academy.”

He pulls a badge-like object out of one of his numerous pockets. I do not recognize it, but some people in the crowd seem to do. Apparently, it is the thing that marks you as a magician.

“The academy does not differentiate on the basis of old-fashioned values like appearance, heritage and sex. No, anybody remarkably talented and the money to pay the fees can enroll! But for those who are especially talented, there is the possibility of scholarships. This talent is measured in the so-called magic coefficient. It is an easy procedure, and should not take longer than ten minutes a person. But before I start with the tests, who is even willing to get tested?”

Roughly a third of the people present raise their hands. I refrain from doing so.

“You can always change your decision as long as I am here. I will first show it to you, so you can see it is harmless.” He pulls two objects out of his pocket. One of them I recognize, it is the magic adapter I used yesterday. The other one is unfamiliar: A round, flat object. It is white, like a porcelain plate I once saw on the market, and has a spiral pattern on one side. On the outside of each spiral wind, unknown characters are placed. It now bugs me that I am not able to read and write. If I am correct and this is the measurement device, those characters probably mark magic coefficients. In the middle, there is a hollow spot and filled with a silvery liquid.

If a person holds this device and chants a specific spell, the magic coefficient will be displayed. That means, everybody who wants to take the test is going to chant a simple magic spell! Do not worry, I am sure you all can do it. Now, I will show you how it is done!『QUECKSILBER TEMPERATUR HOCH』!

His bracelet starts glowing, and the silvery liquid starts to rise, following the spiral pattern. It continues to rise for half a second, and then stops. The crowd starts mumbling, but quickly stops when Arstibal takes word again.

“That is a coefficient of one-hundred and forty! Now, a few words to what this value means. A value of hundred is total average. The farther you stray from this average, the harder it gets to score in the positive, or lose points in the negative direction. Therefore, a point from one-hundred to one-hundred and one is much easier to acquire than a point from one-hundred and thirty to one-hundred and thirty-one. That might sound very high, but it is the trained value. My untrained value was something around one-hundred and twenty. That is not very high, after all. Should one of you have such a value like my current value innate, or should it be even higher, It is reason enough to give this person an invitation to magic academy. Whether this person accepts or declines then, it is up to them. Well, lets get started! Who wants to go first?”

I look over the crowd. Most of it are adults, expect for two children with reddish hair. I think they are the mayors children. One of them, a boy, is violently raising his hands. His sister seems not all too eager to do it, and tries to keep her brother down. I would guess she is around fourteen years old, while her brother is around ten, or maybe eleven.

“You there! Boy! What's your name?” Arstibal points at the boy.

“Brian! It is Brian!” the boy says, his eyes seemingly sparkling. Why can he not behave normal? He is embarrassing himself.

“Great, Brian! Would you like to make the first test?” Arstibal does not seem to be annoyed at the boys over-enthusiasm.

“Yes!”

“Well, come over here, then.” After the boy walked over to him, Arstibal showed the crowd and him the magic adapter. “This thing is called a magic adapter. It works just the same as my bracelet, allowing you all to chant the testing spell. But first, you have to memorize it. I have to make sure that everyone who casts is chanting it right. A spelling mistake would likely just lead to failure, but there also is a chance of something unwanted to happen. Do not worry, though. Should you actually chant it wrong when you are tested, I will interfere and stop the process. Your safety is guaranteed.”

The boy starts memorizing the chant, but is incredibly slow in doing so. It takes him almost ten minutes until he satisfies Arstibal. An unbelievable time, considering he only had to learn three simple words. I had memorized them after the first time I heard Arstibal chant the spell.

“To make this adapter work, you have to connect it with your body, using this needle. Just a prick into the fingertip will suffice, even though there are savages who prefer straight up ramming it into their arm... “ This guy, could he not have told me that earlier? Ah well, it does not matter.

“Don't worry, the needle is clean. Can you do it, Brian?” The boy nods, and mumbles something that could have been “Yes...”. He is awfully pale in the face. Hesitantly, he grabs the needle, and after holding it for a few seconds, he pricks the tip of his index finger. Once this is done, he starts chanting, crudely, but correct: “『QUECKSILBER TEMPERATUR HOCH』!”

The pocket adapter still held by Arstibal starts glowing, and the boy made a triumphant face. Should he not wait for that until he sees the result? Simply chanting it right is no witchcraft, when even an imbecile can do it. “130! Not bad, Brian. That is actually pretty high. It wont be enough to give you an invitation, though.” The boy looks a bit taken aback. But what did he expect? He is not the protagonist of some fairy tale. Even then, his score was high, according to Arstibal. This is probably the difference between talent and pure coefficient. Arstibal receives the needle from the boy, and cleans it with some sort of cloth.

“So, who still wants to take the test?” Everyone present raises their hands, safe for me. But all people who just were here to have some fun already left due to nothing spectacular happening for such a long time, so only one third of the original crowd is still present. He picked a random Villager whose face I did not recognize, and whose name I forgot the instant he said it. Luckily, he was a bit faster with learning the chant, but his values were the definition of average.

This repeated round about seven times, with similar results, until the only ones left standing on the marketplace were Arstibal, the red-haired siblings, and me.

“So, young lady. What is your name?”

“My name is Ione.”

“Oh, Ione. A good name. You know the procedure?”

“I think I figured it out by now. 『QUECKSILBER TEMPERATUR HOCH』it was, right?”

“Oh, yeah, that's right. Very well, you seem to know the drill. Here!” Arstibal hands her the needle, and she sticks it into the back of her left hand. Not bad. That way, it will hurt a bit more, but when handling stuff, it is not as annoying as a prick into the finger. She also is not so hesitant about it like her brother. She then chants the spell, and the liquid rises again inside of the spiral.

“115... That's far from bad, young lady. I see some potential, but it really is not enough to give you an invitation. Sorry about that.” He looks like that truly bothers him. Either he is really feeling his job, or he wants to give people a good opinion of him.

“I wouldn't have accepted it anyway. I can't simply leave my little brother alone, after all.”

“Hey, sister? What is that about? I am old enough to watch myself!” Being belittled did not sit right with the boy.

The girl simply ignores him. “Anyway, thanks for the attempted consolation.”

“Don't mind it. Anyway, is there anybody left who wants to and has not gotten tested yet?” He notices me, still standing there, in the shadow of an old tree. “Hey, Reiland! What about you?”

I juxtapose running away and taking the test, and after a quick thought I decide for the latter. The people present would see my low coefficient, but only Arstibal and the siblings were here, so I deemed it to be okay. I dislike the thought of having the brother see it, but I think I can live with it.

“You know this weirdo's name?” The red-haired boy asked, sounding surprised. He is one to talk.

“Yes, I happened to meet him in the front of the village yesterday. What about it?”

“He is... weird... he tortures animals...”

What did he say? I torture them? That is simply not true. I look at their inner life to gain more knowledge about them. How would that classify as torturing?

“Oh, please. You exaggerate. Sure, Reiland does not behave like someone his age, and has an unusual way of thinking about things, but accusing him of torture? That is going too far.” His mellow expression grew more serious in an instant.

“But he does-” “Stop it, little brother. Let's not take that here.” The red-haired sister stepped in. Maybe I should start remembering her name? Right, it was Ione. I really dislike her brother, though.

“I think I don't have to explain it to you, Reiland?” Arstibal says while handing me the needle.

“No, I do not think so.” I answer while demonstratively ramming the needle into my upper arm. The shocked expression on the boys face is worth it.

“You really don't need to do it like that, though....” Arstibal wears a pained expression.

“Why? It works all the same, right?”

“Yeah, I suppose... go ahead, then.”

“『QUECKSILBER TEMPERATUR HOCH』, I mumble. The adapter starts to glow in the usual blue, and this strange feeling of energy flows through my body again. It feels like I would stretch my muscles again after a long sleep. However, as soon as the feeling emerges, it begins to fade already. I try to grasp it, but fail to.

“73... Well, a number in this range was to be expected.” Arstibal was not really surprised, and neither was I.

“Haha-” the boy bursts out in laughter, only to be reprimanded by Ione. He quickly ceases.

Arstibal reaches out to retrieve the needle, but I stop his hand. “I want to try one more time. Please.” Arstibal sighs. He hesitates.

“Sore looser much?” The red-haired brother taunts. This time, Ione stays quiet.

As if this gave him a push, Arstibal says: “Sure. Don't expect anything to change, though. Wait a second.” 『QUECKSILBER TEMPERATUR UMGEBUNG』After he chants that, the meter drops down rapidly. “Only one more time, though.”

“Understood.” I nod, and begin to chant. 『QUECKSILBER TEMPERATUR HOCH』!

As soon as the feeling emerges, I try to grasp it, and keep this newfound muscle of mine flexed. I succeed, but after half a second passed, it grows increasingly difficult. I manage to hold it for one and a split second, but it slips through my fingers after that. I open my eyes, only now realizing that I had them closed. A thin sweat film covers my face, my arms and my legs.

“84... You increa- no, wait a second. It still rose further after the adapter stopped glowing... Continued Casting? What in... “ Arstibal is standing there, once again absolutely dumbfounded.

“That should settle it.” I said, and plucked the needle out of my arm. I enjoyed the look the brother had on his face for a second, and then turned to leave. “He is still lower than mine anyway!”, I heard the brother say, albeit quietly.

“Wait a second, Reiland.” Arstibal shouts after me, he seemed to have regained his composure. “Is it possible from me to speak your parents?” I turn around. The red-haired boy has a really sour look on his face now. Ione, noticing it, drags him off.

“Why?”

“Is it possible?”

“I suppose so... Only in a few hours, however. They still are gone, working.”

“That's okay, waiting is alright with me. Is that possible at your place?”

“It is, if you really want so. Follow me.”

“Just wait a minute, I'll pack my things.”

A few minutes later, we stand in front of my family's shed. We sit down, and wait. Arstibal seems a bit surprised about the conditions we live in. He asks me a lot of questions, such as if I got any education, what my parents jobs are, If I ever had contact to magic before, and much more. I did not understand why he was asking those questions, but I answered, maybe a bit cynical at times, but honest, and the hours passed. My mom came back, her gathering basket firmly attached to her back. She notices me and Arstibal, and waves.

“Hello, Rei! You are waiting for me? That's sweet! Also, who is this man? Isn't he the magician who is in the village today?”

“Yes, that is me. My name is Arstibal, and I'm pleased to make your acquaintance, mother of Reiland.” Arstibal seems to like being recognized, and takes the initiative of speaking to my mother.

“Oh, my name is Iuli, pleased to make your acquaintance!” While saying this, she giggles a bit. Could mother not behave normal, at least in front of other people? If we are alone, it is fine, but other people could think that we are weird. Anyway, she seems to be very excited about Arstibal visiting. “Now, has Rei some unbelievable hidden potential? I knew it all along, our little boy is something special!”

Arstibal smirks. “Well, he is something special, that much I can say. Let us talk about that in detail, shall we?”

“But of course! Let's sit down in the living room, we have some water, if you're thirsty-” Mother is on the verge of offering Arstibal all kinds of stuff, but he interrupts her.

“Sounds great! However, Reiland, would you maybe let me talk to your mother alone?”

I do not know what they are talking about that I am not supposed to hear, but I nod. Mother will tell me everything about it later, anyway.

“If that is so, let me go get my knife. I will search something for dinner today.” Might as well, if am not supposed to be around for a while. After retrieving it out of the shed, I leave for the forest.

On the way, I meet my father.

“Hey, son! Isn't it a bit late to go hunting? Sun is gonna set before soon!”

“I know, but I still have around two hours. That should suffice. Mother is talking to Arstibal, and apparently I am not supposed to hear it. Therefore, I search the forest for something that we can put into a stew today.” I want to quickly leave, because my father has a point: The sun is going to set soon, and I need to be out of the forest before that. However,

“Arstibal? Who is that?” my father asks. He does not look concerned at the note of another man talking to her wife.

“Oh, you do not know? It is the magician that is in town today.”

“Tell me, Reiland, how am I supposed to know his name? I wasn't there when he did whatever he did on the marketplace. Figures that you would go to him, though. Even if only to disproof his magic.” Starting that discussion again? My parents were a bit annoyed when I was still certain that magic did not exist. I am a changed person now, however.

“Why would I want to disproof something that exists? That does not make sense.”

“So he convinced you? Great! Anyway, I will go and join the conversation. Catch us something good!”

“I would not put it that way...” I mumble, but ultimately nod, and we part ways.

After some search in the woods, I find a squirrel. I think about chasing it, but squirrels are way too fast for me. If I only would be able to use magic now, I could easily shoot it down... Well, if only. Just as I want to turn around and search for something else, I notice that something looks off. The squirrel seems to be limping, and on a closer view, I discover that has a front leg injury. That is my chance, and I take it.

While being careful of tripping, I charge at the squirrel, and catch it with my hands. It resists, but I quickly unsheathe my knife, and keep cutting his throat until it ceases movement. I look at my hands, they are covered in blood. It is warm, too. Not that it disturbs me, it is just the way things are. I think of dissecting it, but decide against it. While it would be the first squirrel, gathering information about animal bodies does not seem that interesting anymore. I had taken a sip out of the chalice of magic, making everything else taste rather bland in comparison. Therefore I decide to call it a day, and return.

By coincidence, I meet Arstibal on my way back, leaving in the direction of the central village.

“Hey, Reiland. I talked to your parent. Nice people. Talk with them about it later, if you want.” He looks exhausted. “Also, you caught a... squirrel?”

I take a look at it. It is covered by a crust of blood and mud, already dried. The tail lost all of its fluffiness, and the eyes look deep and empty. “A squirrel.” I confirm, while nodding.

“Is it possible that you don't know how to kill them properly? It looks like you just stabbed it till it died. And, how did you even catch it? Squirrels are pretty fast.”

“I used magic to accelerate a stone, and smashed his head with it.” With this sarcastic statement, I skillfully avoided answering his first question.

Arstibal releases a gust through is nostrils, and says: “Alright then, keep your secrets. Still, would have been interesting.” He obviously did not buy that lie, and I did not expect him to.

“It just happened to have a leg injury, that is all. It was crippled, and was not able to flee.”

“Ah well, I should have figured.” Arstibal suddenly gets serious. “Listen here, Reiland. You may or may not be aware of it, but what you did was unique. I am not talking about the tree you split, that was something else on its own, of course. But what you did today... It was kick-started continued casting. That technique is rare, even under renown magicians. Should you ever decide to walk this path, you will come to know why it is so remarkable. I'll say it again, if I could, I would give you an academy invitation without a second of doubt. I see that your family is not in a place where they could afford the academy fees. But I have rules to play by, sadly. I will have a talk about you with my mentor, and maybe he will give you a special permit... Until then, try to to make the best out of what I left for you, at your parents house. I would be very grateful if you do not go and show it to everyone, okay?” He truly looks upset about the fact he could not take me to the academy right here and right now. Also, he left me something? I guess I will find out what it is once I return home. To his tirade, I only nod, and leave. “Don't you forget about me, once you are a great magician!”, Arstibal shouts.

“Sure.”, I reply, without looking back. Seriously, what is he making such a fuzz about?

However, magician... That sounds nice. A magician...

0