Chapter 4
428 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Trigger warning 

Drug use)


I woke up to the smell of fried rice and vegan dumplings. Jenn's signature dish and a very good one at that. Even though Jenn and Cortez were of Hispanic descent she took pride in learning dishes from various other cultures. Her favorite meals to cook were several traditional Swedish dishes but she loved trying her hand at cooking Asian foods as she said they were the most challenging for her. 

She even had a close Asian-American friend who came over sometimes to teach her traditional Chinese recipes. It was fun for both of them as it reminded Jenn's friend of her home and Jenn got to learn something new. 

Why she had Come to America.. I didn't have a clue as China was now the world's leading superpower eclipsing the former US after its collapse in the early 2030s. It took years to rebuild after the economic crash and the fail of the American dollar, but the US slowly made its comeback in the form of digital credits. Most countries not even accepting the old dollar even though it was still in wide use in the states. 


Come to think of it only two countries still valued the old dollar even though the price of everything inflated when you used it. One credit was the equivalent of $20 US dollars. As to why people still used it? I didn't know. Breaking from my train of thought I stretched, my muscles feeling slightly stronger than 8 hours ago and I actually managed to get up and move around without Mia's help. Mia of course was still passed out on my bed. 

I was very careful not to wake her as I opened the door quietly as possible and made a beeline for the upstairs bathroom. I slipped inside and stopped dead in my tracks in the mirror. I'd almost forgotten. I took a close look at my new body, now that the shock had mostly worn off I begin to examine myself throughly. When I looked at my reflection and touched a delicate finger to my pouty lips I felt a strange flutter of butterflies in my stomach. What was this feeling? For once I wasn't repulsed at my reflection. 

I didn't have to force myself to smile and it felt strange but in a good way? Maybe this body wasn't so bad after all. My initial first worry was that Mia wouldn't want to be with me anymore because I wasn't sure if she was straight, bi or what.. I should've realized that she'd love me no matter what, but I didn't want to ever take the chance. Breaking myself away from the mirror I sat down on the toilet as usual, even with my guy parts I'd always done that for some reason. I quickly used the restroom then wiped my new equipment. 

After Flushing I washed my hands and decided to brush my teeth since it was long overdue. I'm surprised the medical staff didn't give me a toothbrush. That being said I was certain I'd never go to that particular hospital again. I really didn't like Doctor Berman and I really really did not want to be anywhere near that woman. After my teeth were cleaned I brushed my now rather long, silky hair. It felt so nice and once again I felt those strange flitters in my stomach. What was wrong with me? Was this another side effect of the procedure I'd undergone? Would it go away in a few days like my lack of strength? I didn't know and I wasn't sure if I even wanted them to go away. It felt good for some reason. Pushing those thoughts aside I again found myself distracted by my reflection, I just couldn't stop looking at myself. Was I becoming vain? Was this how the woman my body was cloned from acted? I shivered at that thought. I hope I wouldn't be influenced by something like that.. I tore myself away from the mirror and pushed open the bathroom door, softly padding back towards my bedroom. 

I was about to wake up Mia but it seems she'd already been awoken by the smell of Jenn's delicious cooking. She met me in the doorway just as I was about to open the door. She smiled down at me and I smiled back. "That's good, it seems you're able to walk around on your own pretty well now. See I told you, you shouldn't worry baby." She commented. I blushed "yeah my muscles are getting stronger. I think think I'll be okay soon." I smiled reassuringly. Mia took my hand and started to pull us towards the steps. "I think dinner is ready? Want to go down and eat?" I nodded."Sure there's something I want to discuss with everyone anyways." Mia raised an eyebrow but shrugged as we made our way down the steps. 

My muscles ached far less than earlier today and it was much easier going downstairs than up. We made our way to the dining room, Cortez was already sitting down drinking a beer and from the looks of it he'd already downed a whole six pack. He smiled at me and pulled out a chair beside him, I sat down, Mia following suit. "Must be rough huh?" He commented on my body while handing me a fresh beer from the little cooler on the floor beside him. I popped it open and took a few gulps before looking down at my lap. "It.. Well it was hard at first but.. I really don't mind it?" His eyes widened a bit then he gave a lazy shrug and a deep chuckle from his gut. "That's the spirit, you always seem to bounce back in the worst situations." He slapped the back of my shoulder rather hard causing me to wince. 

"Sorry I probably should treat you more like Jenn than how I used to?" He looked very apologetic at the sight of me wincing. I nodded slightly and smiled. "Where is she anyways?" I asked. He pointed over at the door and speak of the devil Jenn was walking in arms stacked with plates. "I could use some help?" She said looking around the table. I started to get up but Mia put a hand on my shoulder and told me she'd take care of it. 

The two women made their way back into the kitchen and I drained the rest of my beer. Cortez grabbed two more, one for each of us and slide it towards me across the table. I popped it open and we both drained our drinks rather quickly. I was feeling very buzzed by this point and started giggling at small things. Cortez slid me another and he popped open one for himself. "Don't make this an everyday habit. You'll get chubby like me drinking so much." He laughed and poked him tummy, I burst out laughing as well. "I won't don't worry." I reassured him. He smiled and we continued to drink until the girls brought out everyone's meal. 

Everything on my plate looked absolutely fantastic and tasted even better now that I was pretty drunk by this point. About halfway through dinner I stood up and drunkenly declared I had an announcement. Mia was giggling the way I kept stumbling but didn't comment. "I have found a name!" *hic* I declared rather loudly as I hiccuped, my face flushed. Everyone around the table looked very amused, even Cortez as he was just if not more drunk than me. Jenn eyed me. "Well what'd you decide on?" I jumped up raising my fist into the air. "I want!" *hic* "to be called Emma!" Mia smiled so did Jenn and Cortez just nodded his approval. "That's a pretty name." Jenn smiled at me. "So Emma how'd you think of it?" I blushed my face Flushing more than it already was. "I.. Ahh I don't know.. I guess I've always liked the name Emma?" She smiled again as well as Mia. Everyone seemed so chill with the choice of my name, it made me happy and everytime I was referred to as Emma I felt those little flutters in my stomach again. 

After everyone finished up eating we all decided to watch a movie in the den together as a family. Mia giggled as I pranced around not being able to decide on what to watch, she pulled me onto her lap as Jenn got tired of watching me start a movie then changing it in my tipsy state so she eventually just got up and put something random on. Halfway through the movie I ended up taking a nap on Mia's lap while she played with my hair. It was Sooo relaxing and felt so nice. When I woke up Mia was asleep, I was still sitting on her lap and Cortez was snoring loudly on the couch. 

I heard crying coming from the kitchen so I groggily got up to see what was going on. As I opened the door quietly Jenn was sitting on a chair smoking a cigarette (she never smoked unless she was very upset) tears were running down her cheeks and I noticed she had a picture of the old me opened on her phone. I walked over to her and when she noticed me she quickly turned off her phone, whiped her eyes and ashed the cigarette. She forced a smile onto her face. 

"Need anything hun? You still hungry?" She asked me. I frowned. "No.. Um what's wrong?" She looked away from me as if she was ashamed of crying. "Nothing.. Please don't worry about it." I sat down beside her and hesitantly reached over to touch her hand. She didn't pull away and placed hers ontop of my now smaller hands. "I won't be upset.. Please tell me?" I said quietly. She flinched a little and shook her head. "I can't.. Ben.. Emma. It's selfish." I raised an eyebrow. What did she mean? "I'm here to listen, please?" 

She sighed before lighting up another cigarette. I swear those things were so outdated I wasn't sure why people still smoked them but I didn't comment or say anything. She took a long drag before sighing again. "It's just.. You died.. You literally died. The guy I knew is gone and now in my house is this little.." She stopped talking and looked away like she was ashamed. "I know it's still you but.. At the same time it isn't? I'm happy you technically survived.. But just why.. Why did this have to happen!? After all you've been through after all we've been through.. So many awful memories now this is just something else we have to deal with." I looked at her slightly hurt. I understood though. 

"Oh." I said. I looked down at my lap trying not to cry. This woman was like my mother and she'd just said that to me. Jenn looked as though someone had just slapped her. "See I shouldn't have said anything.. It's just I've always loved you Ben." She started crying again and I felt a little surge of anger at being called my old name. "Can you please stop calling me that?" I whispered. She looked up and started crying even more almost to the point of full on sobbing. "See!? I can't even say your name without you getting upset... I think.. I think it'd be best if you stayed with Mia for a while." 

I yanked my hand away from hers after she said that. "Fine." I replied coldly. "Want us to leave now or can I at least enjoy my bed for one fucking night?" She shook her head and took another cigarette out of her pack, with shakey hands she lit it up and shrugged. "Whenever." She said tears still running down her cheeks. I briskly walked out of the kitchen and made my way towards Cortez's room where I knew he kept his stash of joints. I took one and not wanting to wake Mia, quietly opened the door to the Skyview porch near the den. I walked outside and felt the breeze of the fake artificial air that the city seemed to pump out through vents. I sat on one of the chairs and looked at the city lights. I started quietly crying and lit the joint, taking a few long puffs. 

It didn't make me feel better though, in fact it made me feel worse. I ashed on the small table  beside me and put the joint out. Feeling absolutely miserable I walked back inside and gently prodded Mia, she opened her eyes groggily but quickly woke up as I was visibly upset. "What's wrong baby?" She asked in a concerned tone. "Nothing." I replied trying not to cry more. "C..can we go to bed?" She nodded and took my hand, we made our way upstairs to my room and I took off my clothes then proceed to curl up against Mia in bed. She started stroking my hair and I couldn't hold it back anymore. I started sobbing. Mia held me close and eventually I ended up crying myself to sleep. 

9