The Ball
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Noelle sighed as she looked over the balcony. She had been watching something happen below her, the telltale signs of magic getting her mind racing. Flashes of orange fire lighting up the streets below her and what sounded like Asta's shouting barely reaching her.

"Asta, are you okay?" she whispered, the music from inside was building up for the dancing to begin. The murmur of Nobility finding dancing partners made her isolation all the worse.

"Enjoying yourself?" Someone said behind her, Noelle turned around to see the current Magic King Julius Novachrono.

"Your majesty!" Noelle gasped, saluting him.

"Yo," he said, casually raising his hand hello. "Don't like to dance?"

"No, I'm-" Noelle started to say before Nozel's words echoed in her mind. "I'm just not very good at it."

"I highly doubt that's the only reason," Julius said with a knowing smile.

"I-it is the only reason!" Noelle said quietly, looking down over the balcony. The noise from below being drowned out by the band inside the hall.

"Are you sure you aren't just waiting for someone?" Julius followed up, "Someone; I don't know, fairly loud for his size, spent a few nights together with, had to deal with Mereoleona's training?"

"I-I don't know who you're talking about," Noelle said, turning away to hide her blush.

"Really?" Julis said, cupping his chin. "Then the noise I heard in the hospital the other night must've been some other couple named Asta and Noelle."

Noelle's face was completely red, "H-how many people heard us that night?"

"The entire hospital staff and any patients who were awake most likely," Julius said, a small grin growing on his face as he gently teased Noelle. "Those buildings don't block a lot of noise."

Noelle was screaming as silently as possible; a small high pitched squeal audible only to Julius. "w-what did people hear that night?"

"Crying, laughing, possibly dancing and a lot conversation," Julius said, keeping his grin hidden from Noelle. "Don't worry, I think everything anyone heard you say was a few 'I love you's" and some personal things I don't think I should repeat."

"s-so a lot of people know huh?" Noelle said, her face still flushed as she looked over the balcony.

"Unfortunately, the last few days the rumours of a Princess with a commoner in bed have been crossing Marx's desk," Julius said, "It's not reached the other nobility yet, but it will soon."

"I-I see," Noelle said, her brother's words echoing in her mind. "the-then what should we do when they find out?"

"Well, I don't have much experience with this," Julius said softly. "but the way I am thinking about it you have a few options. It ends, and you're both hurt. You run, and unfortunately, with everything going on we would have to go after you. Or, you stay together despite everything and fight for it." The music started to get louder, the dancing crowd's footsteps making Noelle feel a little safer.

"We're going to fight then," Noelle said, her face filling with confidence, "We already knew that but, we will fight. and we will win."

"Good, now he should be arriving soon, so I'll leave you two be," Julius said, disappearing before Noelle could say anything else. She stared, dumbfounded as an all too familiar voice reached her ears as Asta crashed down on the balcony.

"Ow ow ow ow!" he said, slowly sitting up, "Why'd she have to throw me?" he looked around and saw Noelle, her dress flowing slightly as a breeze showed off her heels. He stared at her, dumbstruck and blushing heavily as she ran over to him.

"Asta, are you okay?" She said, getting a good look at him all dressed up, aside from his hair and shoes.

"Y-yeah I am!" he said, standing up slowly still staring at her dress. "I didn't think you could get prettier!"

Noelle blushed again and crossed her arms in front of him. "D-don't think compliments are going to be enough to make up for being late!" She said, not even trying to hide her smile. Asta laughed a bit and stood up, bowing to her.

"Well, sorry I'm late!" He said with a grin, Noelle starting to giggle. Extending his hand out to her, "May I have this dance, your highness?"

"You may, dear knight," Noelle said, giving into Asta's cheesiness and playing along. They took each other's hands and moved into a waltz position, Noelle taking the lead over her shorter partner. They started slow, trying to dance without anyone inside the building noticing Asta had joined the ball. Matching the music, they talked about how Asta got his outfit. Noelle laughing when he mentioned how he was strung up like a marionette, letting Asta take the lead in their dance as she did. He almost cheered when Noelle told him about her time alone with her brother, with her stopping him with a kiss.

"Don't get too excited Dorksta," She teased, their dance moving faster.

"I know! but I'm so happy you stood up to your brother!" He said a huge grin on his face as he looked up at her. Their dancing was moving around the balcony, the music filling their souls as they danced passionately through the next few songs the musicians played. They were lost in the moment, and they didn't care, it was just two people in love dancing together, and the breaking of a seemingly impossible barrier. No social status, magical power, or anyone alive could stop them from enjoying themselves right now. Without thinking they danced into the main hall, their dance matching perfectly with the rest of the crowd. A few sets of eyes did notice them but paid them no mind as they were too focused on their dances.

Even Nozel didn't do anything when he saw them dancing next to him, his partner muttering something he couldn't quite make out over the music. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Solid and Nebra glaring at the two. He excused himself from his dancing partner and walked over to them. The pair was already murmuring as he got within earshot.

"What on earth is that street rat doing here?" Solid hissed, his eyes following the pair's dance.

"The failure must have found a way to sneak him in," Nebra whispered. "We should deal with him."

"Maybe breaking him will put her in her place again," Solid chuckled maliciously. "She's been too uppity lately."

Nozel stood in front of both of them, "You will not disrupt this ball." Both of them staring at him, starting to protest before he raised his hand. "While she may have broken our agreement, they are simply dancing. Nothing more."

"He's a gutter rat; he doesn't belong here!" Both of the siblings hissed, watching the pair stop dancing with the end of the current song.

"And I shall be the one to discipline them both," Nozel continued, giving them both a look that made them stand up straight. "Is that clear?" Both of them nodding as he turned around to look at the pair, still dancing. He walked over to them, slowly and deliberately trying to keep himself in Noelle's view. Her eyes were widening as she noticed her brother and stopping. Asta was turning to look as Nozel stood over the pair.

"Balcony, Now," he said quietly, staring at the two. Noelle grabbed Asta and pulled him close as she walked. He was glaring daggers at Nozel as they walked out on the balcony. "I believe we agreed that you were to stay here for the night." He said, ignoring Asta's glare.

"I, I know brother but-" Noelle said, Asta, holding her hand tightly as he interrupted her.

"I talked her into dancing," he said, Nozel turning his eyes to him. "I didn't know she couldn't leave, so it isn't her fault."

"It doesn't matter who's at fault, she still disobeyed, and you have trespassed to where you don't belong," Nozel said, looking Asta dead in the eye.

"I promised her I'd be here!" Asta shouted, a few people from inside turning at his voice. "And I refuse to break promises!"

"Black Bull boy, I will make this as simple for you to understand as possible," Nozel said leaning in towards Asta. "While you may be... her partner. Your status is another thing. You have no place here as a commoner."

"So what!?" Asta shouted again, his face almost against Nozels, "If you think status is going to stop me then think again! I'm going to be with her, become the Wizard King, and smash that damn status!"

"Then do so," Nozel said looking at Noelle again, both her and Asta having a slightly confused look on their faces. "Do not leave here again, if you require food then send your partner to fetch some. Do I make myself clear?"

"You do," Noelle said, Asta too confused by the sudden shift in his attitude to respond. "we will not cause any more trouble tonight."

"See to it you do not," Nozel said, walking back inside and rejoining the crowd.

"what. just happened?" Asta said, shaking his head a bit.

"I think... we're going to be fine?" Noelle said, still confused. Both of them looking back and forth between the main hall and each other, before starting to laugh.

"Man, we got lucky!" Asta said, rubbing the back of his head. "Who knew he could be understanding!"

"I think luck is definitely on our side tonight," Noelle said, sighing with a hand on her chest. Both of them starting to laugh again as they looked out over the balcony.

"I like this view," Asta said, grinning at Noelle. "We can see everything from here!"

"Not quite Dorksta," Noelle said, giggling a bit. "But you really can see a long ways away."

"I think I can see the mountains near Hage!" Asta said, climbing on the railing to get a better view. "Or is that? Hmmm. I'm not sure anymore!" He laughed as Noelle pulled him back down onto the balcony.

"Be careful you idiot!" She said, getting both of his feet back on the solid balcony. "what if you fell? then what?"

"Sorry, sorry!" Asta said, still grinning. "I got too excited; we're going to have this view all the time someday!"

Noelle blushed and grabbed his hand. "You do know that you'll have a lot of work to do."

"Of course!" he said, his smile growing larger. "I'll have to work hard! I'll need a lot of help too. So I'll be counting on you a lot Noelle!"

"Of course you'll be counting on me Dorksta," she said, turning her chin up just a bit. Not bothering to hide her smile or her blush, "How many times would you have been dead without me?"

"More than I can count!" he laughed, putting his hand on hers. "You've always been saving my butt, so I know I can count on you!"

"Well, of course, you can!" she said, grabbing his hand and motioning for him to dance again. "I am royalty after all. If you can't count on me what can you count on?"

"Everyone we know?" he said, laughing as they started dancing again. Noelle was laughing with him, being more careful of where they were dancing this time.

"True," Noelle said, leaning into Asta as they danced slowly. "They've always been there for us, haven't they?"

"Yeah, even when we first joined!" he said, looking up at Noelle, the wind picking up a bit as they danced. "Even if initiation was scary!"

"I remember hearing it," She said, smiling at the memory. "Magna was so loud when you passed; it made me come out to see what was going on."

"I thought I was going to die when he threw that big fireball!" he laughed. "My body reacted before my head did to hit that!"

"You seem to react only on impulse," she said, joining his laughter. "Half the time I think all you know how to do is push forward."

"Well, not giving up is my magic! so it's all I have!" Asta said with a grin, Noelle pulling him closer and slowing their dance down. Both of them leaning into another kiss, Noelle breaking it after a second.

"Well, you have everyone at the base now," Noelle said, still smiling. "So try to stop being such a reckless idiot."

"but that's part of my charm!" Asta laughed, the dance stopping with the song coming from the main hall. Voices were starting up again as the smell of fresh food started to fill the balcony.

"I wonder what Charmy is cooking back at the base?" Noelle said, Asta's stomach rumbling in response to the smell. He blushed as Noelle let out a small giggle.

"Probably something delicious," he said, putting his arms behind his head. "Magna and Luck are probably gonna fight over dessert."

"Those two never know how to calm down," Noelle said, a small growl coming from her stomach. Both of them blushing a little before laughing, "Asta, can you..." she started to say, Asta going inside with a thumbs up to get her some food. Giggling as she saw him trying to remember what food she liked. Most of the nobility gave him disgusted looks as he piled everything on several plates.

"How utterly disgusting," One pair said as Asta started to walk back to the balcony.

"how on earth hasn't that cretin been removed yet?" a few more started to murmur. Asta still not reacting and happily continuing on his way before someone stepped in front of him.

"Yo Asta!" Julius said, raising his hand up, "enjoying yourself?"

"Y-yes, sir!" Asta said nervously, his arms moving to both give a salute and to keep all the food balanced. "I-I'm enjoying it very much, sir!"

"Wonderful!" Julius continued, motioning for him to keep walking. "It's good to have something everyone can enjoy."

"Yeah!" Asta said, still balancing the food as he kept walking towards the balcony. "I never knew dancing like that could be fun!"

"Good, good," Julius said, leaning down to whisper in Asta's ear. "Say, Captain Mereoleona said you did something exciting in her training."

"Oh yeah, that!" Asta said, looking at Julius who's eyes were filled with excitement. "I managed to learn something cool!"

"Please show me!" Julius almost shouted, his eyes shining with energy. "Mereoleona wouldn't tell me what happened no matter how much I asked!"

"No, sir!" Asta said, now back at the balcony. "It's my new secret weapon!"

"Please~" Julius whined, almost looking like he was going to get on his knee's and beg to see it. "Anti-magic is so interesting, and if you've learned something new I want to see it!"

"Your majesty," Asta said, moving around Julius to get beside Noelle and handed her the food. "A-after the ball is done! I'll do it!" he shouted, giving a salute and accidentally throwing all of his food off the balcony.

"You will?! Wonderful!" Julius cheered, spinning around happily. "I can't wait to see what it is!"

"Asta, your food," Noelle said, getting both of them to look at her. Asta was looking over the side of the balcony at the plate falling below them.

"Oops,' Julius said sheepishly, "That was my fault, Asta, don't worry. There will be plenty of fo-" He was cut off, a presence below them quickly rising towards the balcony.

"Oh no," All three of them said as Mereoleona's hand gripped the railing. Her face, covered in various pieces of food slowly rising with a murderous glare.

"Who, threw food at me?" She asked, her voice rough and full of violent intent. Asta was slowly raising his hand, shaking like a leaf. Noelle was taking a very few cautious steps away, right as fire magic started whipping around Mereoleona. "Ten. Nine."

"Run," Julius said, grabbing Asta and Noelle by the hands and all three of them sprinting away.

"Wait!" Noelle shouted, "can't you just stop her with your magic sir?"

"Yeah!" Asta joined in, "You can just do that time freeze thing on her!"

"I could," Julius said quietly, not looking at the two knights he was dragging through the ballroom to a nearby staircase.

"Oh no," Both of the knights thought, as Julius's tone changed.

"But then I couldn't see her amazing magic!" he said, his face full of glee. Noelle and Asta looking behind them as the door they ran through was blown off with a wave of fire.

"Yeah!" Mereoleona screamed, the floor melting where her feet touched. "Run Black Bull Boy! FUCKING RUN!"

Asta and Noelle started screaming, running as fast as they could down the stairs. Julius vanished using his magic and opening the door on the floor below them. The pair ran through and continued down the hall towards the main entrance of the castle. Fire magic was raining down in front of them and blocking their path as Mereoleona burst through the doorway.

"We're going to die," Noelle and Asta both thought as Mereoleona marched towards them, covered in now burnt food.

"Time to finish this hunt!" She roared, lunging at the pair. Both of them taking out their grimoires and getting ready for a fight.

Hey, thanks for reading! I’m MagicLottie and I specialize in writing fun, upbeat queer erotica and fanfiction! If you liked what you read, why not check out my patreon where you can vote on monthly stories and get access to everything one week early! https://www.patreon.com/MagicLottie

0