=== Chapter 5 [Distance]
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

=== Chapter 5 [Distance]

 

[So did you hear? They said on the news that a new war will erupt.

At this point everyone fears that a nuclear conflict might be a possibility.]

 

[I don’t get it, you mean in the real world or in the virtual world?

Whichever it is, it was not the first warning in the history you know?]

 

[Aha~ Just joking, like that would actually ever happen! Gee...]

 

I passed by carefree two girls who were doing inventory work at their shop. They were talking about something serious, though they didn’t seem to have a serious tone at all. In fact, it sounded like they were merely gossiping. I despise people who bring up topics, only to diminish them later as a joke. Yet, after all those years, it’s still normal here...  Anyway, here comes Titania.

 

[Hey Daki how is it going? I haven't seen you around since...

well some time now I guess? Oh yea, sorry I was busy and all.]

 

And the first thing she does is giving me a brief hug, before speaking. In any case, it seems that she doesn't know that I was watching during her date. It might be safe to play to cool for the moment.

 

[Say Titania, what were you guys doing? I got a message from WRose and then nothing...

Afterwards, I was trying to contact you but to no avail. Did something happen?]

 

I already knew they probably went into a dungeon. I just wanted to learn more.

 

[So here is what happened. We went to a far away lake on a mountain—I can show you where later.

Then we meet two bandits who we chased away. They were trying to be overly-friendly with two shaman girls.

Well they were not actually bandits, but pretty close to that. I mean it’s better to be safe and stuff, right?

Anyway, those girls were trying to open a shrine for Lunar, which actually was just a shop. You know Lunar?]

 

[Yea, I heard about those "Ghost AIs" or gods or whatever from a friend.]

 

[So hear me out here... Wolf knew about them too. He was like... This lake is suspicious bruh.

Then he puts his [Feather] on the surface, pushes it to the moon reflection and opens a portal or something.

We jumped into that portal and went into a dungeon. Unfortunately, it’s just a shortcut to here.]

 

That sounds like a thing that Wolf would do. I am also not sure how exactly dungeons work in this game, but in general you should be able to open a portal anywhere on the map. Why the lake then?

 

[I seem to be missing something here... the [Feather] thing is not how you normally open a dungeon.

But why a dungeon that is just a shortcut, it doesn't make sense right? Something feels odd.]

 

[You betcha! That is what I was thinking too.

Wolf said it was the Synapse thing that caused it,

I wanted to make a screenshot, but oh well, it didn't work.]

 

If my memory serves me right, those things usually happen when you encounter a "Ghost AI". This makes all sense now, why they forgot to invite me and why Wolf would want to check it out.

 

[Okay, I think I understand now.

Thank you Titania, you were helpful as always.]

 

[Yea but that's not all that happened before you returned. There was also...

well I shouldn't be saying this but I think you should know.]

 

She leaned towards me—I was pushed against the wall on the street. Though no one else was watching, it pretty much looked as she was trying to shake me down for money or something. Anyhow, she casually started whispering to my ear.

 

[What do you think about WRose and Wolf? They are obviously lovey-dovey right?]

 

[I have seen them making that kind of conversations, but your point is?]

 

[So I met Rosie on the street, she was like wobbling back and forward aimlessly.

She was like completely dejected and sulking. I wanted to talk, like to cheer her up or something,

but she said like no, I don't need your help, I'm fine alone. What the hell happened with her and Wolf?]

 

I don't think you should ask questions to people who were not involved Titania, but I got your message there. Evidently she was just trying to unload her frustrations, maybe because of the date, or because she couldn't help her. Whichever was the case, asking me how to resolve problems isn't the best of ideas, I can't even deal with my own.

 

[I don't know Titania, but I will keep that information to myself. Say,

I might not be the best person, but if you need an advice what to do then...]

 

[Well obviously we should confront Wolfie about it. That's the best solution right?]

 

[No, that's the worst solution. Please don't say anything to Wolf yet.

You should just give both of them time, I mean if they are really in a relationship,

then you shouldn't be telling them how they should be doing it right? Or something...]

 

Okay, I might have said it, but that alone seemed to be enough. Titania, allowing me to breathe again, moved away and gave out a sigh. I hope she was satisfied with an answer like that, because I personally don't think that solves anything. That situation might just repeat again, and we can’t really help it.

 

[Hey, you're a cool guy Daki, I will tell you something. Do you know how to tell if you are talking to a girl in VR?

You ask the person how far they can bend down their head. If they say they can't do it all the way,

it's obviously because their device is touching their boobs. Boobs are amazing, aight they? Ehehe~]

 

I see… that might be clever but if that is a thing I will be sure not to ask people to do it. On the other hand I can understand now why Titania always hugs me when she meets me...

 

[Sure... I don’t even want to pretend being a girl in the first place though.]

 

[You totally should! You’re like the bestest voice for that.]

 

[Emm, I will pass. Excuse me.]

 

And that’s really enough for me. I went on my way, leaving Titania behind. She is right though, but those were long forgotten days in VR, when I was still experimenting with stuff.

 

===

 

Days that passed one after another were hardly interesting or profitable. We bounced from one dungeon to the other, but we couldn't finish them all. Our party was in disarray, I noticed, especially WRose. When I tried to talk to her, she would turn her head away and speak no words. Others were just a little concentrated. I had no idea why...

 

[Hey, I think we should go hunting there today.]

 

I picked a location which was quite far away from the town—there was a logical reason to that. Recently, the war broke out between the two largest guilds on the server. What that meant was that nowhere was safe, everywhere you looked was either a battlefield to be or ruins of people's houses. The war engulfed all.

 

Normally when you pk a player, you can only take a portion of their loot, which is also the matter for storage boxes. However, in case of a war situation, Ares can grant players a special buff that would increase how much loot you could pilfer. It was both a temptation, to join one of the sides, and a curse for players without the ability to defend themselves.

 

Anyone could become the target—no one was safe from the ever growing ambition of the clashing guilds. In towns with giant walls, siege weapons were erected and gathered. Those would serve for the final battle. Materials were collected from nearly all of the hunting grounds, which were an easy prey for guerrilla tactics.

 

[Hey, Wolfie there is no way the goons are here as well right?

I mean we aren't even here for anything but hunting,

so they have no reason to bother us... but I will be ready just in case.]

 

Titania reassured us just in case. I don't think anyone was taking their time slowly here. We were at a plain, surrounded by trees in the middle of nowhere. It would be bad luck if we were found here. Continuing our search for monsters, WRose, Titania, I and Darku were trying to find some tracks.

 

To fight monsters in this world you have to summon them first. This is done by finding tracks in the wildness and interacting with them. Sometimes you get a bigger one, or a horde type encounter, but those are rare. I wonder what we will find today...

 

[Well, this is a pleasant surprise, I wouldn't expect to someone to be here as well.]

 

I recognized that voice. Those were the people that wanted to jump on the shrine maiden girls a while ago. They were not alone, they had several friends who came out of the forest. They didn't look like they wanted to fight, but I wasn't sure if they were a part of the war or not. I had to be vigilant about their every move.

 

[Oh yea, you are the guys from earlier? Did you make it to Maremoda?]

 

[Yea we did somehow, I mean you gave us the wrong direction but we figured it out in the end.

Don't worry guys, we are not here to fight, we are just looking for something to hunt, that's all.]

 

[Oh... I'm extremely sorry I caused you trouble!]

 

WRose bowed deeply, apologizing for her mistake, even though I would say it was on purpose. Putting that aside, it was hard for me decipher whenever those guys were telling the truth or not. They kept their distance from us—there was five or more of them. If they really intended to simply find a hunting ground, this was a problem for us as well.

 

[Well, we did come here first, but I'm sure there are plenty of monsters for everyone.

By the way, on your way here, have you seen anyone? You can never be enough careful...]

 

[Yea I'm sure we didn't find any of the armies so you can calm down,

this guy here has contacts in one of them, so he would have know, right?]

 

[That... might be a problem actually.]

 

Darku spoke as if he foresaw something bad was about to happen at any moment. He unfortunately was right, from the tree line, far away from our position, came a company, about twenty men strong. That was worrying.

 

[Hey, talking about death flags, that guy probably knew about this.

We can't do much now, so everyone just keep calm, I can talk this out.]

 

Even if he wanted to calm everyone down in this situation, the drow himself was a little bit shaken. If I recall, he also had contacts in TSA, thus he would be able to deal with them, I hoped. The other guys and my party were standing still, while Darku took the imitative to talk with the company.

 

[Hey guys, are you from Anti-TSA? I can tell from the emblem.

If you guys are here to hunt, we can leave, we don't want any trouble.]

 

[Hey, who are you? Obviously there no mobs here no more,

cuz someone did clean this place up. How unlucky.]

 

The crook brandished a sack filled to the brim with presumably materials from monsters. It was them who cleared out this place.

 

[But you're wrong, we be just looking for them donators.]

 

[I see... but isn't this zone out of the war zone?

I can contact your officer, G1, if you want me to confirm that.]

 

[Don't worry, we be not good at listening to orders anyway,

we just joined this guild for fun and all. Wanna join too?]

 

While they were having this not too pleasant of a conversation, I noticed that their supports moved to the back. This could only mean one thing—they were preparing to charge at us frontally. There was still time to run but...

 

[You guys stay put, all of you.]

 

I said to everyone, to my party and the other guys who were not running away. I felt like this is going to be an uneven fight, but one that I wouldn't want to run away from. Not only I had to protect my friends, the other guys clearly deserved some beating.

 

[Hey you there, Wolf guy? I recall someone saying that they been ninja looted by a guy dressed like you,

is that true? I hate to say it but I dislike bandits who betray their companions the most.

In fact, you all look like bandits. It would be a relief for someone if we dealt with you, so sorry but...]

 

A taller man, dressed in heavy armour pointed his hand me, signalling others to attack. Some of them had horses, which they mounted as fast as possible, and the only one who had a mount on our side...That is why I couldn't simply tell others to run away, I was forced into an uneven fight with an ugly and self-righteous mob.

 

===

 

The first thing I noticed was their lack of communication, they were not moving as a unit, rather only the fastest outlaws rode horses were in position to attack. Those were mainly Tanks and Rogues, I thought, but their composition was mixed. If anything, we would benefit from attacking the healers first.

 

[Pick a target and focus fire.]

 

I shouted without thinking much what else to say, time was of the essence after all. Firstly, I looked at the other party to see if they were on the same page. I nodded at them and they nodded back. That was a good sign. With our mutual understanding established, we waited for them to give us room to attack.

 

It would be very unlikely to win if we attacked first, they had a size advantage. Additionally, their leader, the one that gave the signal to attack, was not the part of the initial charge. I had two choices, either I would try to reach that guy alone, or I would deal with the mounted units first.

 

[Here they come, behind me!]

 

Titania, with her sword in position to block, stood firmly in front of them, anticipating the enemy dash attacks. Two of the enemy Rogues came in, each trying to instantly deal damage and Backstep away.  This was their way of getting us to counter attack. But I wasn't as stupid, I knew that we shouldn't pursuit.

 

WRose was channelling a spell, even before the mounted units were in range to dash. This could mean one thing—she wanted to use a heavy hitting spell right at the start. But there was more to it, and I think she noticed that too. Their unity was lacing, they couldn't coordinate their position with the rest of the company. Therefore we could...

 

[Block for her, not me.]

 

I told the knight, pointing at the Wizard who was charging her skill. In this state she would be an easy target, we had to defend her at all cost. Meanwhile, the cavalry, who was already in range, dismounted and used their ranged attacks. No one from that group wanted to risk coming close—they couldn't even trust their own comrades. Our party on the other hand...

 

[Hey, I told you we don't want to fight.]

 

Darku, who was by my side, set up a bunch of traps that would be effective is they rushed in. Unfortunately, only his Arrow Trap could hit enemies at range, he himself had to attack as well if he was to deal any damage. Splitting away from our main party, he shot a few arrows, flanking them from the side. He had the range to kite.

 

Meanwhile, we had to deal with enemy projectiles who kept on increasing by the second. I moved to the side, using my Hasty Step to draw some attention to me, and away from others. At the same time, the Priest of the other party ran to our Wizard and intercepted incoming projectiles for her. This gave WRose the chance to initiate our attack.

 

[It's ready! I hope it hits.]

 

A Giant flaming boulder crashed at the enemy attack force. Some of them blocked the damage but some did not. Knowing so, we had our chance to strike at full force. Without waiting for others, I dashed at the nearest crook, going for the most damaging skills first. Titania and Darku joined me at the attack, and we downed one of them.

 

At the same time, the other party was charging through the enemy from the other flank. They downed two or more players, pushing through the rest without any resistance. Some tried to fight back, others were running, but it was we who had the advantage. Within seconds, thanks to meteors, our heavy hitters and our momentum, the enemy's initial attack was held back.

 

However, we only really had time to deal with the initial wave—there were plenty of other bandits coming. In my eyes, we would be probably able to destroy them as well, but I was mistaken. It was the other party. They knew that any more fighting would be dangerous, so they decided to retreat without giving us a notice.

 

[Wait! We can do this!]

 

I waved and shouted at them, but they clearly didn't see a reason to stay. With mounted units out of commission, they could simply just run away into the woods. This however, also forced us to do the same. It was a pity but...

 

[Okay, we have no choice, Run!]

 

I called for my own party members, who were already thinking about retreating. However, I knew this could be a problem, a problem with our slowest member, Titania. She didn't have the speed to escape, as a Tank. I didn't worry for others since they had enough run speed to escape. Thus, I took out my bike and hit the petal to the metal, grabbing the Knight on my way.

 

[Wolf! What about others?]

 

[They be fine, we better run in different directions!]

 

[I mean I could have run by myself, but thanks!]

 

===

 

[Can I have a moment? I think this is enough, we might get lost if we run any further.

Darku, are you sure others are okay? I wouldn't mind checking on them, hold on...]

 

I escaped to the deep parts of a thick forest, Wolf and Titania ran the other way. Our only commutation method with them is friend messages, and they seem to be fine. Reassured about that, looked around for an elevated place that would serve as a lookout point.

 

[Quite frankly, I think the two can handle themselves just fine.

Say, WRose, is your stamina fine? I could try to forage for food around here.]

 

[It's fine, I'm not that hungry... I mean my stamina is fine for now.]

 

And after saying those words, she went silent. Slowly we walked through the forest's foliage. No one seemed to live in these parts, probably because for some reason you can't teleport to here. The more we delved deeper, the darker it became. Eventually, a thick fog shrouded our surroundings.

 

Where was I going anyway? Our pursuers would have surely given up the chase by now—there was no reason to walk any further. But for some reason, we both wanted to push forward. I probably knew my reason, but what was hers? Was I allowed to ask, especially after talking with Titania?

 

I said... "Give them both time" but I also thought "This isn't the solution".

Which one was it? Should I intervene or stay away from this? Thinking so in silence...

 

[Hey, Darku... why are you so silent? Don't you think we did enough walking already?

We should be heading back. Regrettably, we can't teleport from here,

so let's just leave the same way we entered. It should be that way, right?]

 

[Yea that should be the way to go back... but at the same time,

since we didn't really hunt anything, wouldn't that be a waste?]

 

[Huh... what do you mean? I am not certain whenever there are monsters here.]

 

This was my mind speaking. When I looked at WRose, who has just a tiny bit away from me, I could only see her faint outline. She appeared to me as she was further than normal, even if she was right beside me. What I was seeing was not her, but a reflection of...

 

[I'm not talking about monsters today, it's... well it's hard to explain,

but you wouldn't want to hear out the story either. It is quite a sad one too...]

 

Hesitantly, I admitted to having a problem. Yes, I can't really let go of my past, even if I try it keeps coming back. The image of the joyful past, she was there, a little girl who smiled at me, a little girl whom I played with every day and night.

 

[If you are like that, Darku, I can't force you right?

I just thought that at least... I could be a help for you...]

 

But I don't want to return to this, I don't want to connect to another person, just to see us both disconnect after we get bored with each other. I wanted something, I desired to lift my past... I knew WRose was a possibility, unlike Titania, but did I really want to start a new relationship?

 

[Listen... I will tell you something that I think should be your answer. I talked with Titania,

you can probably guess about what as well. This might not be the solution, but I want you to simply listen.]

 

[S... sure go ahead, I’m all ears.]

 

No longer could I take it, yea I'm like that. Whenever I get stressed out, I need to unload my troubles onto the other person, exactly like my ex used to talk her issues with me. I thought I really did change, but this game is forcing me back to that state...

 

[When you try to understand different people, they always use their individual view.

In reality, it might be completely different from what they act, different from what they say.

But that is how people are, unfortunately. Also, I'm sorry if I'm the first one to...]

 

[No it's fine... that alone I understand...

I'm just a player to him... he said that I'm...]

 

[Well it's complicated, I know, but Wolf is also trying, I'm sure of it.]

 

And as I finished those words, we entered a small grove, leaving the thick dusty fog behind. The sun illuminated the wild foliage ahead of us, in their center daffodils were growing.

 

[But consider this, it doesn't matter who you are for others.

They can call you a bandit, they can call you a friend,

what matters is what you are for yourself. That alone, you can change.

That alone is yours only, so do not ever lose your sight from it.]

 

===

 

[Thank you Darku, I think... those words gave me courage I needed...]

 

I did something again—I made the little girl cry. But those were not the tears of sorrow. Rather, there was happiness in them. WRose hugged me tightly, and I returned the gesture, embracing her back. It was comfortably warm for us both, but too intimate to me. Still, I was happy that at least that helped.

 

[I... will be going now, Thank you again.]

 

She dropped a curtsey towards me, and teleported away. It appears that in this location in particular allowed for that, but as soon as I wanted to return to town... I received a message from an old friend.

 

“Unit Darku, this unit requests an immediate meeting. Importance level one.

This unit will await for your arrival at any convenient location unit Darku will pick.”

 

[Yea, I think I know what this is about. I will just tell him to meet me at Maremoda.]

 

Thus, I teleported there and awaited for his arrival. It wasn't long until the robot...

 

[Greetings and salutations unit Darku. Did you consider this unit’s intentions already?]

 

[Yea I figured you wanted me to confirm their names and locations. Here there are,

I took a couple of screenshots so you would be able to analyze the data easily.]

 

[Very well done, I shall initiate the program... collating data... match found.

Adding matched units to the blacklist... compilation complete. Transmitting...

Thank you for your cooperation, the blackened will be having a tough life now.]

 

Which means that they will be hunted both by the TSO and Anti-TSO. What an interesting life that would be...I on the other hand, I had enough fun today I think... I got myself involved into something I shouldn't again.

 

[This unit was to take its leave after performing duty,

however different circumstances were discovered. Unit Darku,

I strongly suggest we engage into a conversation this moment.]

 

Huh... I didn't notice that, but my legs and hands were shaking unconsciously, and that was the signal Gee picked... how embarrassing. I guess there is no use running now.

 

[Yea G1, how nice of you to be noticing that.

I will tell you what this is about, of course.

You are my friend and all. I know I can trust you.]

 

[Acceptable, this unit will await further input.]

 

I was a bit shy to speak like in public, so we quickly changed our position, went a few steps up, and escaped to a garden park of some sorts.  It was empty, and the view below was pretty good. You could see the entire beach.

 

[So, I talked with a girl today, she clearly had a problem, but I had no idea what it was.

How the conversation ended... well she cried but she was happy. My point here is,

is it really okay to try to help others when you can't even deal with your own problems?]

 

Gee, as a funny as he sometimes is, really took his time with the answer, making beeping noises in between.

 

[*Beeb* Printing answer. People have different facades, people act differently in certain situations.

If they always were themselves, would that World be acceptable? Between the two alternatives,

it is better to interact with people having some rules, rather than completely without any.]

 

[Yea... those are some nice words you assembled. Distance is definitely something important.

Sometimes when you want to get closer it actually hurts the other person more than it helps.]

 

[Those words were not manufactured by this unit, they are from unit Darku's archive.

Is it really worth giving away your past? This unit says no,

finding useful calculation data within those archives.]

 

Oh... now that I think about this again, they certainly did sound familiar at first...Who the hell I was before and who I am now?  To which side I'm gravitating towards now?

 

[Regrettably, the time has come for this unit to leave.

Advice, unit Darku should continue connecting the past to the present.]

 

And with that, Gee was called to a meeting I guess? Seriously, I didn't support this war. The reason for that was that both Gee and Xyl are forced to fight each other as enemies. Xyl is the leader of TSA while Gee is an officer in Anti-TSA. They are both friends though...

 

That is why I left TSA as soon as I learned they were going to war with Anti-TSA. If I was to stay, Gee would have become my enemy... I know, we are friends and all, but there was another reason. I was weighted by the gravity of my friends, friends that I saw as something that kept me from changing.

 

But... now that I look at this beach from afar, at the people who I played games with... I think... that returning to a world like this wasn't that bad of an idea... At least, I can count on friends that will support me, at friends who will help me escape this gravity.

0