Arc 5-Winter War-65
3.3k 5 169
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So, about the small break. I've decided to break Winter War into two separate arcs (which I've yet to do) since I reached 100 chapters without reaching the 'winter war' so that was an end-of-arc break. For those who don't know, that means new miniarcs! Like before, free readers will receive plot relevant miniarcs but not all of them. Anyway, back to the story!

If you're enjoying the story, don't be shy in the comments and consider leaving a rating/review.

Want to read exclusive content and advanced chapters? Join my Patreon!

Join our Discord to chat about the story!

We all take a break. Geneva heals Alana’s scrapes and bruises. Unfortunately, I don’t have to persuade her to accept this time. Arthur magics up a couple of bowls and William fills them with water. I thought about cooking up the bird but we need to keep moving. So, the bronze terror gets dragged behind us as we keep heading for the waterhole.

It doesn’t take long before we spot it. Alana calls us to a halt. “Alright. We need to find a place to set up camp. I’m thinking we can carve a space out of one of the hills nearby. Lou.” She taps her ear.

“I’m not hearing anything to be concerned about but there’s a lot of noise at the watering hole. There’s sure to be something around here.”

“Counting on it. We’ll start with the closest one.”

We skirt the watering hole, keeping as much distance as we can as we move for the closest hill. There’s a moment of panic as a shadow passes over us but whatever it is ignores us. The hill is rather small, about the size of a commoner’s house, with a sparse number of shrubs decorating its top.

Alana circles it before shouting, “Looks good. Arthur, can you hollow it out? Opposite the watering hole.”

“You want me to be useless for the rest of the day?”

“Better you than all of us.”

“Wait a minute. I’ve got this. Here.” I wave her over and hand her my little friend, the fluff ball taking a nap after her meal. “Hold her for me. Be careful, she’s pregnant.”

I clap her on the back as she freezes. Geneva, Bell, help me out.

“You guys take a break,” I say as I take off my shirt. A low barking sound makes me look over my shoulder. Cloud grins at me toothily. I’ve heard men whistle when an attractive woman passes. Is that how the Temple does it? The look in her eyes is certainly flattering. I toss my shirt to her. The crazy woman lifts it to her face and breathes in audibly.

The action draws a few looks, including a nasty one from Alana, but my wife’s done far worse. I don’t even blink, turning my attention back to the hill. I dig my hand into the earth, hard nails having no problems pushing through the sediment as I move dirt by the fistful. My succubi join in and dirt flies as we hollow out the hill.

Arthur helps at the end and by time we finish, we’ve got a space five meters by five meters with enough height for everyone to stand comfortably.

“We split up again,” Alana declares.

“I agree,” I add, taking a rare moment to give some orders. “Usual groups. William, you take Marthe and Arthur and search near the water hole. You’ve got the advantage there so let the seadog take a break. The monsters are less aggressive as well so don’t start something you can’t finish.

“Alana, you’ve got north-northeast. Take Cloud and Bell. I’ll take south-southwest. Geo will stay here to look after camp and start dinner.” I gesture to the bird. “William, if you guys find anything, come back to camp. Geo can contact us. Same for Bell, Alana. Otherwise, meet back here at sundown. Don’t like the idea of us wandering about this place at night.”

My speech doesn’t garner a round of applause but they nod and mumble their agreement. “Great. Alana, you can leave the little cutie here.” You better take care of her. And be gentle, she’s expecting.

[Your new fascination will not come to any harm, my summoner.]

“Alright. Then I’ll be going first.”

“Be careful,” Alana offers.

“Sure.”

I jog away from the camp, waiting until I’m far from the hill before I pick up speed. I skirt the watering hole and put my nose to work. The mamaroons are attracted by carrion for the other creatures drawn to the dead. A corpse is a good of a place to start searching for them.

I’m not an especially good tracker but I know how a dead thing smells from my time with Kierra. It’s a very distinctive scent. As in, distinctively horrible.

The first thing I find is a dead bird, one of a more appropriate size. It’s already half a skeleton, the other half more feathers than flesh. The only other creatures about are the maggots feasting on it.

I restart my search, moving slowly and letting my eyes work alongside my nose. I find another bird and a handful of snakes. Nothing bigger. No sign of my targets.

I’m searching the base of a large hill when I catch a hint of blood on the air. A scream follows, capturing my full attention with its human origin. Someone’s in trouble.

The question is, do I save them?

I’m not a hero. Those are all about self-sacrifice. If I’m going to rush over there, I need a good reason. Hm. What’s the chances these people have any clues on the mamaroons? What is the likelihood that they will surrender said clues? I’d be their savior but people can be amazingly ungrateful.

Alana would do it. She’d run to their rescue without thinking.

Would saving them make me look good for her?

That settles it.

I change direction and head for the screams. An angry bellow follows, deep and loud enough that I feel it in my chest. Whatever made that sound is big. I have a bad feeling as I speed up, wondering what kind of trouble I’m signing myself up for.

The sound of combat becomes more distinct. I crest a large hill and finally get eyes on the situation.

In the distance, a team is fighting a gigantic lizard like the one I saw at the watering hole. This one is a bit smaller, with a mixture of blue and green scales. It’s a lot angrier than the one I saw too, stomping the ground as it chases after the four figures throwing spells at it.

I spot another figure standing away from the fight. At first, I think it’s the fifth member of their team but a quick ‘film’ later, I see that it’s their guide, a stone-faced woman watching their struggle without a hint of sympathy. Maybe even a trace of disgust. I continue searching for their missing teammate.

My nose helps. I sniff the air and look in the direction the smell of blood is coming from, which is down. Near the base of the hill I’m standing on, there’s a large blood pool. There’s also something in the vague shape of a person but it’s too flat. The traces of cloth I can see is what gives it away.

Saints. The first victim of the qualifiers. Or the first I’ve seen. I’m sure there will be more to come.

But not these four.

I take a few steps backward. Then I take a running leap in toward them.

For those who don't remember the description of the monster, just think of it as a triceratops, it will make your life easier. Yes, Lou is about to fight a dinosaur. The scale is important.

169