Chapter 17: The girl who dances with Death…
82 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After being in so much pain, I plunged through the darkness and into a warm light. I found myself in my own safety net. Even though I knew what had happened, how I ran to hide here. This was a cowardly move. One that allowed the god that would try to bend me, even if I resisted, to do as they pleased.

I did not have a reason to live anymore. After all, I had tarnished everything that gave me hope to make Alijah hate me. I deserved to be stabbed, killed, along with everything that came to me after that. After all, I broke my promise. And that killed me. The knowledge of hurting him, weight on me.

The world was a better place for everyone without me in it. Including Vera, Caden, Aiden, and my parents, who would be relieved to know I would not be problematic. I did not deserve to know what happened after I closed my eyes. So, I built a wall around to lock myself in my mind. I also did this, so when they stopped the rogue god, I would also trap them with me.

After this last time, I could harm no one anymore. Most people called me stupid, but I could also be clever. Even though it had been my emotions more than my mind, who accomplished that. At least this way, everyone would be safe from me.

Especially Alijah. He was all that mattered to me in the end. Though I hoped my family would treat him right after they took me down. When I sealed myself here, I created one for myself. An Alijah based on my memories to keep me company in this isolation.

I did not know how much time passed since I locked myself. But by this time, Alijah and Lilith, along with everyone else, must have been happy.

Wait... something is wrong with that. After I was stabbed, what happened? Lilith... said something to me, didn't she? Why were those last moments so blurry for me? Yet the previous night was so vivid in my mind. Everything I did to Alijah. Yes… I don’t deserve to live.

It was almost as if I wanted to block them out. The thing about the truth... It was what I made it to be. Everyone's reality can be different, and mine was heartbreaking. We each saw things differently from one another. And that was what made us individuals. Even when I wanted to cry and scream in pain, I did not deserve it.

After what I had done to Alijah, I did not deserve the happiness I was creating for myself, either. Yet I could not help it. I needed it. So instead of trying to fight to stay with the truth that I would always be alone. I pushed away my sanity, pretending this was the only world that mattered.

Thus, indulging myself in every part of this fake world with a phony Alijah to keep me company. It was blissful most of the time. Sometimes I forgot that this was false. All that mattered to me was that he was here with me.

After all, nothing awaited me in the outside world. My freedom was gone, and so was my love. Of course, my guilt would sometimes try to eat me alive. Even while I was in here, but it was nice mostly. Fantastic, even though I was alone. Then again... I had always been alone. No one tried to get me. Or so I thought.

Over time, it got easier to forget where I really was. I tried to concentrate on what I wanted, rather than on what I felt. Eventually, even though I slipped through sometimes, I created a space where I felt at peace.

With a swing of the arm, the sceneries would change. This allowed me to revisit places I saw and spots I had never seen. These locations I could only imagine. Especially since everything failed. Today though, it was a special place in Azear that I never got the chance to visit when we were there.

A beach that had pink sand on its shores and crystal-clear waters. There were pretty shells everywhere, too. I always wanted to see it with Alijah, and this was my shot. By this point, I had lost touch with reality and was fully invested in this realm. And it was beautiful. A relaxing bliss.

"Oi... what are we doing here?" Alijah asked, surprised to see the ocean in front of him.

I grabbed onto his hand and tugged him along. Here... I did not bond us to one another. So, it made it better than real life could have ever been. I was not his captor, yet he was there with me. And the reason we were there was that I always wanted to see him in a bathing suit.

Today will be my chance to admire everything!

I could not help but drool, imagining everything.

"You’re going to try out some bathing suits I got for you!" I declared with a giant grin on my lips.

Of course, as always, he did not seem pleased by it. A good fake, huh? Grumpy as ever.

"What? Why would I do that?" Alijah grumbled.

I took no time in pushing him into the changing stalls, not giving him a chance to run away from his predicament. I would see him in trunks even if it were the last thing I did. It was a shame. I never... Shaking away that thought, I stared at Alijah, who rested against the door frame.

My shove had not been enough to put this Lycan where I wanted him to be. Instead, he scowled at me disapprovingly from where he was.

"Come on... please? There aren't any speedos in there!" I whined to the crimson-eyed wolf, who seemed to not know what I meant by that.

Oh... right, in his era...

"Speedos?" Alijah mumbled, bewildered.

I chuckled a bit.

I mean, there is no one around... Can I see him in one? No... No! Rem bad girl! Don’t assault the poor man like that! Though... I had already...

Breaking away from that, I gazed at him.

"It’s like the underwear you usually take off from me. Please, it’s normal clothes that people wear to the beach in there, I promise!" I tried to keep a hold on to my inner pervert.

Alijah sighed, closing the door with some more grumbles.

Victory!

Happiness shot through me. I did my little victory dance only to trip and land on the sand below. It should have hurt, but it did not. Instead, I gazed up towards the sky, excited to see him like that. Though, I did not know why I was so thrilled. I had already seen all of him. There was not a part of him I did not know.

Another silly wish, I guess.

By the time Alijah emerged from the stall, he was wearing some red swimming trunks. It fit him so well with those crimson orbs of his. He had let his hair loose too. Unable to keep my hands to myself, I stood up from the floor and grabbed onto his hand, pulling him out.

I was already wearing a sweater with a hoody, hiding my swimming suit underneath it. Before he knew it, I caused him to tumble onto the sand below. He growled only for a moment before I found my way onto his lap and placed my arms around his neck. I gazed at him, wanting to memorize this moment, too.

A nervous chuckle left his lips, gazing at me with the same lust I probably had in my eyes, too.

"Little dove, don't tempt me," Alijah warned, grabbing onto my hips.

I smirked in response. My heart was beating loudly. No matter how many times we were in each other's arms. I could never get enough of this wolf.

"But I want you to unravel me." I purred, biting my lip.

He smiled, gazing at me with those eyes that I enjoyed so very much. Temptingly, I licked my lips. He went for me only to stop mid-way. It was almost as if something hit him hard.

"Wolf?" I called out to him in the nickname I always used while in my dreams.

He seemed out of it.

Did I break him somehow? Oh, by the gods... I knew men are fragile, but I didn’t expect to break him like this.

I pouted a bit.

"Oi, Wolf!" I called out louder, worried about his wellbeing.

He shook his head a bit and gazed around, only to stop spotting me on him. His expression changed to one of desperation, suddenly grabbing my head and pressing his forehead against mine.

"Rem!" Alijah called out as if he had not seen me in a while.

Anxiety swelled within me. His voice was not the same as it was a few minutes ago. However, the kiss that soon followed almost drowned me. I could not help but pull away, gasping for air, but before I could get away.

Alijah yanked me again into another as I found myself on the sand. He towered over me. This one was difficult to get away from. The way he kissed me differed from all the other times, too. It was desperate and longing. Finding the strength within me, I tugged myself away yet again. It was terrifying.

This... It suddenly dawned on me. He called me by my name, not a dove.

"What has gotten into you?" I panted for air.

I tried to get up only for Alijah to lick his lips, grabbing onto my arm before I could get away from him.

"I came for you." He declared.

I stared at him like he had gone crazy. The only ridiculous person was me, though.

"What?" I mumbled.

He slowly rose from his position to meet me straight.

"It’s me, Rem." Alijah declared, sternly gripping onto me tighter.

My anxiety slowly tipped because of it. Something was not right. This... was not... an illusion, but I was not ready to accept it. There was no way he would come here for me. Not when she was out there. She who had...

A sting came from my abdomen as I tried to fight off what was happening.

"Of course, it’s you." I pointed out the obvious.

He shook his head. His hair was different. It was short, yet long enough for it to flutter on the air a bit. It did not go past his jawline, though. I did not know what was happening.

"Why are you calling me by that name?" I asked.

He narrowed his eyes.

"Because it’s time for you to come back home, Rem," Alijah announced.

I instinctively pulled away from him as our scenery cracked around us. Taking a few steps away from him, I gazed around me to notice all the fissures that had formed around me.

Right... Right... This has always been fake, but why... This has to be another facade. Probably my parents... There is no way Alijah is here for me. Not after... I... Nothing awaits me out of here. They have to leave me alone!

"Back home?" I breathed, trying to fight the truth that wanted to reach me.

I did not want to know. Nor did I desire to leave this place. The only thing that waited for me out there was pain, and I could not handle that.

"No! I..." I began, glancing around as everything was shattering.

‘Why is this happening? Why can’t they leave me in this piece of nirvana? I don’t want to live without him. He is my everything! Even if all I can have is a fake!’

"This is home!" I yelled at Alijah, who tried to pull me towards him.

I slapped his arm away. This was not happening. This was not real. I was slipping. I had to be. It would be fixed soon. I had to endure it.

"Please, Rem, listen to me." Alijah tried to reach me again.

But I was having none of it. He would not trick me.

"Stop!" I screamed, triggering crystals to sprout from the ground and towards Alijah, who barely dodged it.

For a moment, I was shocked I almost impaled him Even if he was a fake; he was the person I loved the most in this world. My hands trembled while the scenery around shattered into pieces.

"Please, don’t come any closer!" I cried, not want to believe anything that came from his mouth.

Or worse... hurt him.

"Rem, please, I..." Alijah tried to speak.

I did not let him.

"Shut up!" I screamed again.

More crystals appeared. This space bent to my will. Nothing I did not want would happen here. Yet... it also seemed unstable because it was actively trying to push Alijah away. No, it was trying to end him.

"I’m having one of those episodes, aren't I? It’ll pass soon. Right? I just need to calm down." I mumbled to myself, clasping my hands onto my chest.

Alijah seemed to have enough of my delusions.

"No! Rem, it’s really me, please!" Alijah tried to reach my closed heart.

I turned away from him. It could not be him. There was no way Alijah would be here. Especially after what I... Memories of the night I ravished him came into mind as there was no way he would come for me after that.

"Shut up! There is no way the real Alijah would be here! He hates me!" I yelled.

More attacks went onto the wolf, who could barely dodge them again. He seemed sluggish. It did not matter, though. This was not the real one. And if he would not bend to my will, then I would recreate him.

"It’s me, Rem!" Alijah shouted at me, having to move soon after because of the attacks.

"Liar! There is no way he would be here! After all, he has her! Why would he choose me when he loved her for six thousand years!?" I questioned, feeling like my sanity was snapping.

Alijah seemed to struggle to keep up with me when I continued to walk away from him. Though the moment blood appeared in my hands, it halted me in my tracks. This allowed the struggling wolf finally to find the break he needed to reach me again.

"I chose you, Rem! I love you!" Alijah declared loudly.

I turned to him, livid.

How dare he lie like that?!? Alijah will never love me. I was a warm body for him. Nothing else!

"Lies! I’m nothing to him!" I screeched, angered by everything he was saying.

The space we were in became more unstable than before. Darkness swelled around the cracks as I stopped for a moment. A bird was flying around the fissures.

“Remember, Fenrir!” A female shouted from the cracks.

A memory played in the surrounding area. I was in my wolf's arms...

‘I'll fucking follow you to death! You hear me?!?!’

The phrase caused me to widen my eyes. I did not recognize those words, yet I had heard them. Suddenly, I found myself bombarded with the last moments I spent with the living. A gut-wrenching scream left my lips. Alijah took the chance to throw himself towards where I was, avoiding all the crystals that were threatening to impale him.

"Rem!" Alijah yelled for me.

I felt lost.

Is this real?

Nothing made sense.

"No... No!" I screamed, unable to control myself.

I wanted to deny it, but suddenly, I found myself engulfed by Alijah's arms. He held me closely, even though he had scratches all over his body from the attacks.

When... did he get hurt? I... did that? No... I... I never wanted to hurt him!

"It’s okay! I’m here." Alijah reassured me.

I stood there, unable to shake him off.

"I love you, Rem. Please believe me." My wolf pleaded with me, with pure desperation in his voice.

At that moment, I remembered everything that I was trying to push down. Including what Lilith had done to me. All of it. Alijah, who cried while I laid dying in his arms. There was no way that was fake. Tears fell down my cheeks while I grabbed onto the arms that held me so firmly. Surely they would never let me go.

"Ah... I wanted to bathe on that beach." I mumbled something random.

Alijah chuckled, unable to believe what I was saying. Though he never let go of me. His breathing was unstable, but I could not notice it through the emotions that were swelling within me.

"I’ll take you to the real one," Alijah promised, holding me tenderly in return.

It caused me to break out into a sob.

"Even after what I did to you in that mushroom forest?" I cried, unable to hold the guilt within me any longer.

By the gods, what a troublemaker I was. I felt so remorseful about everything I had done. I was so stupid. So idiotic. In response to hearing that question, Alijah came close to my ear, lightly kissing it.

"You did nothing wrong, stupid girl. Didn't I already permit you to stick it in whenever you wanted?" Alijah reassured me.

I could barely believe his words. It had to have bothered him. It just had to.

"I did more than just stick it in." I lamented sincerely.

My words triggered Alijah to release a chuckle from his lips. He got closer to my ear. His real embrace was so different compared to the copy I had made of him. It was so warm that I could not handle it. Was it truly mine?

"Do you want to know what I’ll do to you because of that?" Alijah purred into my ear.

I shook my head, not wanting to know anything of what awaited me. If anything, I deserved whatever he had planned for me. Even if it was painful... I hurt him too, after all.

"You won’t regret picking me?" I mumbled tears, falling off my cheeks.

He gripped onto me tighter than before.

"You’re the only choice for me. Little dove, I’m sorry for making you wait so long for me. Forgive me for forgetting our time together too." Alijah whispered.

I felt a warmth fill me. The hope that I had tried hard to smother had been lit anew.

Little dove... Is my wolf really here with me all these years? I’m not delusional after all? I...

"Is it really true?" I asked, not quite believing my wolf.

He licked my ear, sending shivers down my spine.

"I’ll make sure you know everything as a fact when we get back," Alijah answered, placing one of his hands on my lower abdomen.

"I’ll even put a pup here if that is what you want." He added with a slight chuckle.

I could not help but feel guiltier because of it. Even though he meant it differently, I could only remember what I had done to him that night. What I had tried to force him to do.

"I only want you; I do not care about anything else!" I cried again.

Alijah spun me around and kissed me lightly on my lips. It was so warm... Everything...

"I want a family with you, Rem. One day, if we can." Alijah declared, separating from me.

I wanted to feel the rush of happiness that entailed, but the moment he pulled away, my eyes were finally opened. Instantly, I noticed how unwell he seemed to be. Grabbing onto his cheeks, he seemed short of breath, too. All the cuts were also healing slowly or not at all.

"Alijah, are you okay? What is wrong?" I worried.

The color of his skin seemed a bit pale, too. I did not know what was wrong with him. Instead of letting me worry, he grabbed onto my hands and shook his head a bit.

"I’m fine, love." Alijah tried to reassure me with a gentle smile on his lips.

I did not believe him. I was so blind before, but not anymore. Something was wrong with him.

"You don’t look fine," I argued back.

He sighed and slightly kissed my lip again.

"Trust me. I’m fine." Alijah smiled again.

I still could not quite believe him. Though... I could not argue with him either. Not while he was like this.

"Let’s go home, Rem. There are many people who want to see you too." He announced.

I slowly nodded my head in agreement. It was time to go home and face the music. Suddenly his body shone red, brightly, causing the entire space we were in to collapse.

"Good girl." My wolf smiled, grabbing onto my hands.

Everything fell apart. Though, nothing ever went as planned. Suddenly, the floor from below us gave way. It caused me to slip from Alijah's grip. He threw himself to get me.

In free fall, Alijah reached for me as I did the same. Our fingers slightly brushed together before suddenly being yanked away from one another. His body became transparent while something else came into play. Within the distance, a shadow came to be before it dove past the disappearing wolf.

"Good job, lover boy, but your job is done. Begone!" A weird bird asserted, appearing from thin air between us.

We screamed each other's names while the bird wrapped itself around me. I was sucked in deeper into the darkness. It was almost as if something was trying to swallow me whole. I was helpless when Alijah suddenly disappeared into thin air, leaving me alone with the bird.

Though there was a darkness that was pulling me towards an unknown destination. My wolf had told me how he felt. And now I was being dragged into oblivion. It was so unfair. I wanted to be with him. It was all I ever wanted.

"Let go of me!" I screamed at the bird, trying to get it off me.

It turned to face me. It was almost as if its body was merging into me.

"Don’t worry dear, you’ll see him soon. This needs to be done to save your soul from that witch. I’ll be damned if she takes you before I do!" The blackbird with bright blue eyes announced.

A purple light consumed me soon after. For a moment, I found myself in nothingness. The bird’s voice, one of a woman's, played in my head.

"I’m you, and you’ll be me. We’re forever united. My name is Midnight, mistress of rebirth. And I chose you to be my link to this world one many nights ago." She recited.

I could not speak for myself, but her light felt so warm that I could not reject her. It was almost as if she had always been there. Even though I never met her before.

My eyes flew open to find myself up in the air, surrounded by darkness. Something sprouted out of my chest. A red aura surrounded my body when the same bird from before erupted from my chest and into the surrounding room.

Below me were my family and Alijah. Even though I could see them, I could not move. Or even speak. Though... I wanted to scream. The pain that surged through my body was unreal. It hurt... so much. I felt like my body was being torn apart by something.

Markings appeared on my body while I could hear Vera scream under me too. Even though I wanted to help her, I could not move an inch to do so. The bird named Midnight radiated a blue aura, spreading her wings above me.

"Girl! Now is your chance to save your sister! To pay her back for taking the curse that would have killed you all. The one that shattered her soul!" Midnight yelled at Vera, who could barely handle the pain that was coursing through her.

From the corner of my eyes, I could see the markings had appeared on her body as well. Though I did not know what was happening. I was just a passenger in the events that were unfolding.

"Why should I believe you?!" Vera screamed.

My brothers tried to help her, only to be repelled by the energy surging out of her too. It was out of her control. I never even knew Vera could lose control of her powers. However, this was because of me.

"Stupid girl, we don’t have time to fight each other! The eternal witch is trying to suck the remaining parts of her soul through the curse that connects them! If you don’t stop it now, it will claim your sister leaving this body a soulless husk! I can’t hold on to Rem for much longer!" Midnight yelled.

Though I could hear her thoughts.

‘His soul is mine and mine alone. The witch dares to take him from me. Unforgivable! I’ll protect him at all cost.’

He? Who?

I did not know who he was referring to.

"But..." Vera seemed unsure.

The darkness grew larger around me. The pain was almost unbearable. Mom once had her soul... well, part of her soul, torn apart. Was this how she felt that day all those years ago?

Oh, by the gods...

I wanted to scream. The agony was more than I could handle. Tears formed in my eyes, even though I was frozen by Midnight's magic.

‘Sorry, love. If they hear you screaming like a maniac. Or you bite your tongue. It will all end horribly. So be good and bear it. After all, this is nothing to what you have felt before!’

Before?

"I already linked you to Rem in our previous battle. Now do it!" Midnight yelled at Vera, who glowing the same color as my body did.

It turned purple when another scream came from her. Instead of addressing my sister's pain, Midnight turned to my father and brothers.

"Mutts, share your essence with Rem to the point you think it will break her. This witch is using the power of the gods! We’ll need everything to stop her!" Midna glanced at my father and twins.

They seemed hesitant, but that did not stop them. There was no going back. The energy that permeated from everywhere was ominous enough for my family to act. The moment their energy surged through me. My chest burned hotter than ever before.

Luckily, I could not express the agony I was under. The only thing that escaped me was tears. Suddenly, after a boom of energy erupted through the room, a single string of darkness remained.

My father and siblings successfully dispelled the incantation that wanted to claim my soul. But drained them to the point of they could barely stand up. At that moment, Midnight turned to Alijah, who was barely upon his feet. He really seemed sick.

What had I missed?

"Alijah! Destroy the witch's link now!" Midnight commanded the severely weakened wolf.

He smirked before glowing red. A second later, he was in the air and on me. Grabbing onto the string that tied me to Edna, his aura consumed us both. It shattered me from the pain that had plagued me since I opened my eyes.

Snatching me midair. The moment Alijah hit the ground, he almost tumbled due to how weak he was. Even so, his show of power was insane. If Edna was connected to that, surely, she did not go off uninjured in that one. Just as fast as it started, everything had disappeared.

Alijah pressed his forehead against mine, happy to see me with my eyes opened.

"Hey there, sleeping beauty." Alijah greeted weakly.

I could not help but hug him tightly. The sudden movement caused him to tumble onto the ground as I held on to him. I refused to let go. Before I knew it, Caden and Aiden, who tackled us, surrounded us.

"I knew it! I knew you would bring her back, Alijah!" Caden blurted with the biggest grin on his lips, hugging us tightly.

Alijah seemed a bit annoyed by the over affection coming from him, though. However, before another word came out of them, something else caught my eye. My wolf's hair was shorter than it used to be. So… the avatar inside the dream realm shifted to him. I did not know the reason behind his new style, though.

"Of course, he would. He couldn’t fail us. If he did, I would have..." Aiden began.

Alijah huffed in response, trying to appear tough, but in reality, he wanted to melt right where he was. Even so, that would not stop what came out of his lips.

"Oi, what would you have done if I failed, pup?" Alijah complained back.

Aiden seemed hurt by it somewhat. They seemed surprisingly friendly. Just how long had I been asleep. Suddenly, I felt a familiar touch. I gazed up to see Dad patting my hair with a soft smile on his face.

"Welcome home, Rem." He patted my head.

Mom hugged me the moment Alijah helped me sit up. I almost tumbled over because of it. Though her embrace was also warm, too.

"Never do something like that again!" Mom cried.

I felt horrible for worrying about them. I never thought they would cry for me like this. However, everything was flowers and welcome. Well, until Vera had enough of the fluffy love and stormed to me.

Before I knew it, she slapped my face. Alijah glared at her as Caden held him down, telling him to leave it to us.

"How dare you?! How dare you all?!" Vera started.

I gazed at her, holding my cheek in my hand. It stung... She did not hold back at all.

"You all say welcome back! What about why the fuck did you do something so stupid and dangerous?!" Vera snapped at all of us.

She was not done. No, once Vera started, there was no stopping her.

“As always, you did what you wanted! You selfish bitch! You always do what you want and almost kill all of us in the process!" She screamed at me.

I tried to hold myself but could not.

Why is she yelling at me?

Like I get it, I did something stupid, but who was Vera to judge me? She had always been free to do whatever she wanted. My sister could have all the boys and multiple friends. While I had my room.

A faint black smoke radiated from me. My emotions were unpredictable. Everything about me was unstable.

"Did what I wanted?" I mumbled, trying to hold in the desire to hurt Vera.

But... it was hard. I wanted...

"Yes, you do whatever you fucking want! Think about others once in your fucking life!" Vera scolded.

I lost it.

"Funny... You say that Vera. But you had everything you could have wanted! I’ve been stuck in a fucking room all my life! Fucking bull shit! I didn’t have a life until I took it into my hands!" I snarled, suddenly sending pulses of energy from within me into my surroundings.

Everything, everyone that was around me was instantly repelled. Darkness radiated from me again. It seemed Edna's evil touch never fully left me.

For a moment, I gazed at Vera, who was on the ground, wondering how her throat would have felt on my fangs. The beast within me was awakening, unstable. Something pushed me onto my knees against the ground. It was a shadow of myself. When...

"By the gods, you are all stupid." Midnight sighed, holding me down onto the floor.

It was almost as if time stopped around us as even the Lycans, who were resistant to time magic, seemed to have frozen in place. Though it differed from time incantations. All of them were conscious of their surroundings, even though they could not move from where they were.

"You really have to do that? To destabilize all my hard work?" My shadow self-chastised Vera, getting off me.

I clamped down on my chest, trying to hold on to the little reasoning that I had. What was I about to do?

"The witch was using the curse to get to you. All I did was to shatter the link. It’s still within you. So, I recommend not getting Rem here angry. It will activate that blood lust from the untamed beast within her. And it felt so much worse, didn't it, Remi?" Midnight informed everyone.

I still wanted to rip into Vera. It was worse than other times, too. If she had not stopped me. I probably...

"And you won’t feel bad about tearing into her either, Rem. Well, perhaps. After all, is set and done." Midnight read my mind.

I tried to fight the desire that was surging within me.

"Pity, your jealousy got the better of you, Vera. Well, it’s fitting as you have Ruzgard, is it? The god of desires and fertility knows no end, it seems. Though, try not to poke the beast next time, okay?" she said, taking a glance at Vera and Ruzgard, who could also not move.

"Have you calmed down yet? This should be a calm breeze. Well, perhaps if you had the whole of your soul." She turned to me.

I slowly shook my head, causing her to sigh.

"Well... I had hoped to give you a few moments to acclimate, but it seems your sister took that from you." Midnight began walking towards Caden, who could only glance at her without moving an inch.

Sharing their energy with me had drained all of them.

"Boy, where is the sword I made? Go ahead, you can speak. I allow it." She asked.

He did not respond, though. She rolled her eyes and clicked her tongue before touching his forehead. A dim light came from where she touched him, while she smirked soon after.

"Ah... there it is." She mumbled, summoning a black portal, much like what Edna had done.

Reaching her hand into it, she pulled the blade out before walking back to me. Alijah seemed to be uneasy. Sensing it, she turned to him.

"There, there, little psychotic Lycan. I won’t harm her. If you haven’t noticed, I went easy on you last time too." Midnight winked at Alijah, kneeling in front of me.

I continued to hold on to my chest. It was so hard to shake the feeling of wanting to hurt Vera and the burning sensation from my chest.

"Eh, I know it hurts, but don't worry. You aren’t this world's doom. No, you will be its salvation. Well, part of it." She suddenly declared, placing the sword next to me, grabbing my face.

All I could do was stare at her.

"What?" I mumbled, short of breath.

She sighed, not happy that I was not catching on to what she meant.

"Simpler terms for your brain? Come on, you used to be smarter. Then again, this is only half of you." Midnight frowned a bit, releasing another sigh.

"Little luma, you are nature's way to fight what is coming. Well, you will be." She tried to clarify.

I felt utterly lost by it.

"I don’t..." I started only for her to finish my sentence.

"You won’t understand it. But I shall try anyway. There is a prophecy going on, and it seems to involve you and the Lycan sitting over there. You and he will be the only way to stop what is coming. Well, you’ll be part of the key." Midnight said, pointing at Alijah, who seemed to glow.

Though he was weaker than usual.

"You see, I believe the witch thinks book is telling her where she wants it to go. But it doesn’t work like that. All she will bring is the end to the mortal realm." Midnight informed, grabbing onto my chin.

I struggled to keep up with her.

"The book of life is a tool that even us gods were full of dread before we sealed it away. I do not know how she found it, but it tells the story of how the universe ends. Though... it does not say it straight up.” Midnight continued, tapping the sword.

“So, it is probably making the witch think it is doing her bidding. Of course, this is what I think. It can be different. The prophecy is vague. But the destruction is imminent. And of course, it includes both our realms. It will drag even the living gods. At least it was what I believe and what I plan to destroy in a sense." She shrugged, annoyed by the fact she did not know the end.

But who could?

"And how do I fit into this?" I asked, grabbing onto her arm.

She smirked in response.

"Well, you already saved everyone. You made the witch fail to acquire the Lycan that could destroy the world. It would have caused the gods to come back and create chaos until the universe was overloaded." Midnight began gazing at Alijah again.

"Because of that, she will probably turn to the soul cairn, thinking she can control it. And she probably will control the minions, but not the true gods.” She continued.

Everything was too much for my mind.

“You’re going to be a god slayer, Rem. You already were one before this life. And you also slew one once before. Although a weak one at best, but with this sword. In your grasp, you would kill anything." Midnight answered.

I could not believe a word that left her mouth. After all, I was a burden to everyone. A stupid, weak link that could do some serious damage if she lost control. Now I was destined, god slayer? What the fuck was this goddess on?

There was no way I used to be a god killer back in my old life.

"I am a luma. Shouldn't this fall for someone more capable." I said, instinctively gazing at Vera.

She had always been better than me at everything.

"Who? your sister? She’s a powerful witch and will be essential to you, but she’ll never be as capable as you, Rem." Midnight announced, following my gaze.

She smirked and turned back to me.

"You are more than just a little luma. Though to face what is coming. You’ll have to learn to control your powers in ways you never thought possible. Including me. And I won’t make it easy for you." She smiled, cupping my cheeks in her hands.

I tried to make sense of everything she was saying. But it was impossible.

"Rem... Right now, this is your power being used, not mine. Does that give you a hint of who you really are? You who control battles, who smote others to their will. Who are you?" Midnight pointed out.

I struggled to follow. Nothing made sense.

"She shook her head. You have a bit of time to figure that out. Though you’ll also have to find a way to control the blood lust. I severed the link to the witch, making it permanent. Sorry about that." She whispered, getting close to my ear.

She pulled away and turning to Alijah, who was not happy at all by everything that was going on.

'Though... I think I know the perfect fix for it too. Come to me, Valdios.'

"Though, I don’t know if you have it in you. You are my little luma. Your soul, your everything, will be mine in the end. So just give yourself to me and fuck this world." Midnight announced.

Alijah snapped through the incantation that was containing him. Slightly though. He really was uncontainable even with the power of a god on him.

"I won’t let you take her." Alijah snarled at Midnight, who smirked in return.

He could barely move.

"It’s intriguing just how strong you are, even though you have poison coursing through your veins." Midnight started, grabbing me again by my chin.

She slowly got close to my lips. This was to antagonize Alijah, but all I cared about was what she had said.

Did she say poison? What? What have they done to Alijah!?

She would not let me think about it further, though.

"Though it’s a little late for that, Alijah. She has been mine since she died when she was twelve. The only reason she’s alive is that I claimed her then. So, she’s mine and will always be mine. You lost your claim." She declared.

Alijah growled loudly.

"If that is true then take me with her!" He suddenly urged at Midnight, finding his footing.

She smirked again, impressed by his bravery, suddenly dragged him to where we were.

"That is an offer, I am not willing to refuse since you are his precious brother. You are the one I lost to. And for that, I’ll gladly make you part of this trio. Just beautiful really." Midnight purred happily, stabbing Alijah in his chest.

I stood there, utterly shocked.

Is she killing him? Why? Why? No... No!

"Alijah!" I screamed.

In response, she grabbed onto my face, stopping me in my tracks. She was so strong. This… I was supposed to beat this.

"Aw, how cute? Don’t worry. I am not killing him. He’ll be yours to do as you see fit. It’s your destiny, after all. This will make him your own personal guardian. Isn’t this what you wanted, Fenrir? To be with him even in death?" Midnight reassured, pulling her hand out of Alijah.

He tumbled to the ground, out of breath but alive. Though my beloved was struggling to catch his breath. She turned to me and ripped Alijah's shirt, exposing his chest to me. There was a weird marking on it. Though it seemed he was in agony. Something was changing within him.

"You see this?" She pointed to his chest.

He struggled to breathe. Tears rolled down my cheeks again. Seeing him like that hurt me, too. The marking seemed to be a circle, much like my birthmark, but had weird branches erupting from it. It did not look like a sun either.

"What did you do to him?!" I demanded to know, worrying over Alijah.

He still seemed in pain.

"I bonded him to you and me. He will be the only one to reach you when we merge. The only one who’ll resist my flames, even when you lose yourself to the curse or anger." Midnight informed, placing her arms on my shoulders.

She sat on my lap while I tried to pull myself away, to no avail. Thought it was clear she was enjoying this.

"You see, you and I, are one Rem. We’ve been since we came together. And now we’ll always be. So, either you consume me, or I’ll consume you in the end. Grow strong or die. These are your only options. And I kind of like you.” She sighed, tapping my cheeks.

“I mean, you are someone I love dearly. It’s the only reason I’m helping you. And the one giving you mortals a chance. Don’t blow it this time, my love." Midnight chuckled, coming close to me.

But before she did what she wanted, she turned to Shade and Ruzgard. They were being able to move. Their bodies were glowing light blue.

"Goodbye for now failed gods." She bid farewell to her companions, turning back to me, and kissing me.

Even though I wanted to push her away, I could not find the strength. Her tongue entered my mouth. Trailing her hands down my body, she grabbed onto my chest. Her touch caused it to shine red from my birthmark. Alijah grabbed onto Midnight's arm. I could not see his face, though.

"Don’t get ahead of yourself, birdbrain." Alijah panted for air, holding onto his chest with his other hand.

His eyes were still planted on the floor below.

"Good, it works." Midnight smirked, suddenly disappearing into thin air.

Time unfroze seconds after her departure. Suddenly everyone in the room could move while Uncle Ben and aunty Amelia rushed towards each other. Caden ran towards Alijah and me. I suddenly lost my touch with the world.

Caden caught me since Alijah was too weak to move after everything that had happened to him. Though I could see his red hue still present next to my brother.

"Sis," Caden called out to me.

My wolf struggled for breath beside us. Suddenly, it felt like my body had been struck by lightning. Aiden helped Alijah while mom and dad made sure they were both fine. Vera quickly left the stadium.

Caden picked me up as my consciousness wavered. It was not long before I lost it altogether. The next time my eyes opened, I found myself in my bed with Alijah resting right next to me. Caden was on my other side.

For a moment, I tried remembering how I got here, but could not think of a single thing. The last thing I remembered was the stadium ceiling. My body felt sluggish. It was a struggle to gaze towards Caden.

Annoyance filled me. I did not want him in the same bed with us. Slowly, trying to not wake them up, I turned to Alijah to notice his short hair better than I had before. He really cut it shorter than he ever had it.

Well, compared to when he had it by his waist, anything was short. Though what caught my attention the most was a weird marking on his left eye. It was almost as if were a black tattoo that surrounded his eye. It had branches that reached his head and jawline, ending past his shirt.

I traced it with my fingers when my wolf suddenly grabbed onto me. For a moment, I thought I had annoyed him by waking him up. Though when he opened his eyes, I could see a blue hue come from his left eye. A gentle smile rose on his lips.

"Hey..." Alijah mumbled, trying to not wake up my overprotective brother that slept right next to us.

Grabbing onto his cheek, I could not help but trace his new markings with my fingers.

"What did she do?" I whispered.

He smiled at me, caressing his fingers in my hair. It was so gentle. Loving…

"Nothing that I didn’t want to be done to me," Alijah reassured me.

I tried to snuggle myself into him, as Caden seemed to be a sleeping log. This... was the beginning of something. If I only knew how much hardship was in our way, I probably would have locked us up both in that small space that used to be our nirvana. But that would have been the coward's way out.

For the future, I wanted with him. I would have to fight and struggle harder than I ever thought possible. I had to push myself past the limits that I had held myself under. My worst enemy was me.

Who would have guessed it?

 

Heheh... The plot has thickened, and taken a turn! Midnight just who are you really?

2