Chapter 19: Midna’s Tale…
82 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The moment those words left Vera's mouth; Alijah barged into the room. Luckily, my sister was almost fully dressed. Though he did not care about her state while he walked past her and stared at me. I was about to lose it, and he sensed that. He felt everything that had to do with me now.

There was no doubt that Alijah was bound to me again. In a worse way than before, though.

Why?

I wanted him to be free at the end of our journey. He could not be my prisoner again. Not when he deserved better than being under someone's chain for all eternity.

Please, tell me it is not true.

I was dumb enough to not realize it when he could see what I was experiencing earlier. But Vera got rid of that blind.

"Witch, leave. You have done enough." Alijah dismissed Vera, who was about to yell at him for entering.

Though she stopped the moment she saw my body glow. Water was floated around me, alerting everyone I was unstable. Ghosts were gathering, even though Alijah was still around. I was not handling the news well.

"Vera is wrong, right? You did not let Midnight do that to you, right?" I demanded to know, finding my way out of the tub, walking over to him.

 Vera made her swift escape from the bathroom. He tilted his head a bit upon hearing what I was calling the deity.

"You said it was nothing you didn’t want! This wasn’t what you wanted!" I yelled, causing pulses of energy to give from me.

Instantly, Alijah cupped my cheeks in his hands, as he also radiated a crimson aura. He was trying to control my instability, which he did. Everything had stopped the moment his hands were on me. They were so warm yet I...

I never wanted him to be bound to me to this extent.

"Rem..." Alijah started.

I never wanted him to be a prisoner to me or anyone else. This was unacceptable.

"Tell me, Alijah!" I demanded.

He sighed before kissing me forcefully. His tongue took mine hostage, as I could not speak anymore. He made sure of it. The moment he pulled away from me, there was a gentle smile on his lips. Though it did not last as he licked mine soon after.

"It’s simple, my love. Where you go, I go." Alijah answered me, slightly pulling away.

It left me unsatisfied with that answer.

Is this okay? No, there is no way he is okay with this!

"But what if..." I tried to finish only for Alijah to kiss me again.

He would not let me say anything that had to do with him separating from me.

"Enough nonsense. I love you, Rem." Alijah snapped a bit, making sure I was facing him straight on.

He seemed serious.

"You showed me how to live for something else other than rage. A life without you is meaningless, don't you get it, stupid girl." He clarified.

I grabbed onto his shirt and snuggled my face into it. I knew he loved me, but this was too much. With everything that was coming, what if...

"But... what if we have kids?" I mumbled.

Alijah chuckled, surprised by my point. He thought it would be something else. His crackling caused me to glare at him. Though he responded to it by grabbing me again by my chin.

"I’m not planning on letting you die any time soon, Rem. Even if it isn’t permanent, any type of separation this soon is unacceptable. And if it happens well, the pups will have to figure it out themselves." Alijah smirked.

I growled in return. That was not okay. I never wanted him to be my prisoner again, yet here he was bound to me. And this time with the death clause attached. It really was not fair to him. Though, this time, there was no breaking it.

Fortunately, my wolf seemed fine with it.

Will I ever get used to the feeling of being his captor for life?

"And you won’t regret it, Alijah? There are so many better people out there for you than me." I mumbled.

Alijah sighed, pushing me into one stall of the showers. A second later, he pinned me down on the wall. He did not seem happy by what I had just said. The smile from before was gone.

"I could say the same for you, Rem. There are plenty of men out there better suited than I." Alijah pointed out.

I shook my head faster than ever before. There was only him for me. That much, I was sure of. It was almost as if I had been tailored picked for him alone. He was my fated one, for sure.

"No, you are the only one for me," I assured Alijah.

It triggered a smile to rise on his lips before he kissed me lightly.

"Same for me, little dove. You are the only one in this world... No, in this universe, that's here for me. I’m glad you found and showed me what love really is." Alijah chuckled again, kissing me deeper.

Separating from the kiss, he turned on the hot water, allowing it to rain down on us. The first droplets were cold, which made me shiver. Though his caresses that trailed down my cheeks and into my chest warmed me up within seconds. There, he took a deep breath before meeting with my lips again.

"I love you. So, think of this bond we have as a marriage for eternity." My wolf simpered.

I could feel my heart skip while I gazed at him. My cheeks could not be redder even if they wanted to.

"Marriage?" I mumbled, unable to picture it.

Alijah bit onto his lip and nodded.

"Yes, so enough of this. Let’s make merry together." Alijah purred.

He lifted me onto his waist before grinding himself into me. Even though we had done it for most of the day, his touch left me wanting more. Using his scarred hand, he cupped my cheek as I instinctively turned to kiss it. Even though I wanted him, I also wanted to know everything that was missing from my memories. The entire month, I was away from him.

"If this is a marriage. Then will you tell me everything?" I asked, gazing towards Alijah's hand.

He sighed, taking off his shirt as I held onto his neck with my back on the wall.

"It happened when I was pulling the dagger out of you." He informed, unbuckling his pants too.

They fell off him and onto the ground, before helping me take off the gown I had on. In my rush out of the room, I had not even placed any underwear.

"The one that stabbed me?" I asked.

Alijah scowled upon hearing that. For a moment, he gazed at me, caressing my cheek with a bitter look on his face.

Is he like that because of Lilith or...?

He would not let me go down that hole.

"Yes. It serves as a reminder of when I failed you, love." Alijah frowned, remembering unpleasant feelings.

I grabbed onto his face and pulled his gaze back onto me. There was a light scar where the blade dug into me, unlike his, who was dark red. It was so unfair for him to have a reminder of something that was not his fault.

"You have never failed me, Alijah," I reassured him.

 He simpered in response.

"If you say so, my little luma." Alijah pressed his forehead against mine.

I relished the moment we were having. Again and again, he kept showing me how much he loved me. I was so blind before, but now I wanted him to keep hammering it onto me. Until I would never let him go. Not that it mattered. He could never escape me anymore. And that was unfair.

What if I ever betrayed his trust? He... will be stuck. Never... I will never do anything like that. Right? Never... I love him too much to see anyone else like that.

"I can’t remember much about that time, though. So, fill in the gaps." I simpered, pushing away all those thoughts.

He shook his head.

"Not now. We will talk about it at dinner. Right now, just focus on me." Alijah said, slipping his way into my walls.

I tried to drown my voice by kissing him. Unlike the room, there was no sigil stopping the sounds we made. Though he sealed my lips as he made love to me. He explored my mouth as his grip on my bum was firm.

Every thrust left me in utter bliss, as my body once again responded to him. When he separated from my lips, it was only for air. Though his soft moan was the first thing to leave us. I could not help but cling to him, too.

Though, on his chest, there was a dark mark. It appeared like a circle, and it branched off to his neck and face. It was the one that Midnight had done. I gripped onto his hair as his movements continued. Unable to help myself, I licked his neck. My action caused him to chuckle.

He was trying to be gentle, but of course, I was getting a bit frustrated with it. After all, I was used to his rough nature.

“Oh, fuck, Rem. Don’t excite me.” My wolf warned, getting rougher with every push.

My core felt so warm and full of him I did not mind it. No, I preferred it when he was being animalistic.

“But I want you to.” I simpered, feeling bliss.

Though the knot was forming within me was getting tighter with every caress. For a moment, it looked like I broke him. Though his cheeks turned pinker than I ever thought, I would ever see them go.

A second later, he spun me around, allowing my legs to be on the floor as his hands wrapped around my hips.

“Oh, love, don’t you dare cry then,” he huffed, slamming himself into me.

The moment I felt him come to me like that, it felt like he filled me to the brim. Again, the knot seemed to only get tighter with each thrust. My voice was breaking, too.

“Wait, this is too much!” I gasped, feeling him all the way in me.

Before, he had been so loving and tender, but now he was being like his usual self. A sharped mewl left my lips as he yanked my hair back. Luckily, he sealed my lips once again with a kiss. My hands pressed against the wall, as his shoves made my chest connect with it, too.

Though the moment I felt his fingers press against my sensitive bell, bliss-filled me. He did not stop to allow me to ride out of my high. No, he kept thrusting himself into me, though they were sluggish. With only a brief separation from the kiss, I swung my arm around his neck, pulling him into another one.

A soft moan left him as our lips pressed against one another. A second later, he released within me, separating from my lips to pant freely. The whole thing left me dazed and wanting more. His expression was addicting, and the feeling of having him in me was also alluring.

Sadly, we were in somewhat of a hurry. Thus, after another kiss, we finished showering. Another moment we dressed in robes, finding our way to my room where we changed into more suitable clothing for the occasion.

The moment I saw the amount of clothes Alijah had in my closet, it filled me with joy. My family had bought them for him. That meant they welcomed him in the time I was missing. When we were dressed, he held my hand, leading me to the dining room where everyone was waiting for us.

And when I mean everyone... I mean everyone; Melody, Sophie, Liam, Tania, Ben, Amelia, Dad, Mom, Shade, Caden, Aiden, Ruzgard, and Vera. The entire family was here. Though, Vera was the only one who had a massive book in her hands.

One that she placed on the tables next to the main one. It seemed she had pulled a library out, to be honest. Then again, books were always her thing. Though, I found myself too nervous to go into the room.

Of course, Alijah tightened his grip on my hand, tugging me in without hesitation. When I stepped into the room, he pushed me forward as Dad caught me before I fell. At that moment, the head of the Silver Fang family engulfed me in his arms. Mom joined in, too. None of them were angry at me.

No, instead they had faces that expressed how glad they were that I was back. It was almost unfair, like Vera had said. They really should have been angry with me. The only ones acting normally were Caden and Aiden, who tried to drill Alijah for what he had done back in the room. They did not appreciate being kicked out by him.

What was even more heart-wrenching was that they had made my favorite foods to welcome me back. Aunty Melody and Uncle Liam also hugged me after Dad and Mom were done with me. Even Tania, Uncle Ben's long-time vampire girlfriend, patted my head, smiling.

Even to this day, her bright red eyes and black hair always tugged my heart. She was a beauty that matched my handsome uncle. By the time everyone had a round of hugging me, Vera dropped one of her books on the table. Of course, she was unhappy with how things were turning out. Though this time she would let it go.

"Dad, shouldn't we get down to business?" Vera huffed, trying to get everyone on track.

I skittishly sat down on a chair. It was awkward, something my wolf would not allow. He claimed the one next to me, grabbing onto my hand and pulling it to his thigh. It left me feeling a bit flustered, but he was not letting up.

I never thought he would show his affection in this way, either. Usually, when we were traveling before I got stabbed, he would only show his affection behind closed doors. Or when we were alone.

Did he miss me that much?

"Yes, that is right. There will be a rushed meeting for the council tomorrow. And I need to get every detail correct. After all, if that goddess is to be believed, then this will affect more than just our family." Dad sat down next to Mom, who seemed beaming to have the family together once again.

Vera then recounted everything that had happened since I was killed. Well, until the moment Midnight, though they called her Midna, let herself be known for the second time in the stadium.

Dad turned to me. "Well, will you tell us how you got stabbed? Was it Edna?"

His question left me feeling a bit odd. I guess no one else saw what happened to me. Not even Alijah.

Will this hurt him, though? Is he over her, really?

I did not want to ruin a past love for him.

"You are asking me whether or not Lilith did it because she wanted to? I don’t see the point in knowing that." I sighed, not wanting to tell Alijah that the person he once loved tried to kill me because she wanted him under her thumb.

My memories of those moments were hazy, but I recalled how she labeled him as if he were a toy she lost and found. It kind of pissed me off, but... I did not know how Alijah would react to that. And I did not want him to hurt anymore. Or worse, revert to what he used to be before meeting me.  

"Rem... We need to know if Lilith is just another victim or not." Mom tried to encourage me to speak.

In response, I closed my eyes. That elf was not a victim, and I had the scar to prove it. If anything, she was another horror show that Edna created. Or maybe Lilith was like that since before Edna. There was no way to know.

This was way more messed up than I could handle. If I was right, then Lilith knew of Alijah before he even knew it himself. The bitch lured and used him to bend him to her will. That she played a part in his torture and hatred of the world.

Perhaps... it is something I should take to my grave than to say.

"She..." I trailed off, refusing to word it out, only to feel a pulse of energy leave me.

I clasped onto my chest as a soft black smoke came out of me. Suddenly, it turned into the bird I had seen in the stadium when she destroyed my link to Edna. Midnight...

"Lier!" Midnight snickered, flapping her wings.

Everyone's eyes were on her.

"Who would have thought you'd be such a coward even now. You will defeat no gods with that attitude. Including myself, brat." She pointed out, only to aggravate me.

How dare this bird tell me off like she knew everything?

The funny thing was that she knew everything I felt. Even so I...

"I don’t want to kill anything!" I growled, annoyed by Midnight,

I gave off a slight black aura because of the curse activating thanks to my anger.

"You’ll have to if you want your family to live. If you want Alijah to live. If he dies before you do, you stay behind with me for eternity. That was the deal I made with him." Midnight pointed out.

I did not know if her words were full of lies, but I had enough of her throwing stuff out there. Especially since it seemed like I had no choice in it. All I wanted was to live with Alijah in peace. It used to be a dream that was now possible because he chose me.

All I needed to do was kill the witch. These gods were something else entirely. Something that was not my problem.

"Why you...!" I tried to snarl at her, but she turned away from me.

She knew everything I was going to say and did not need to hear it.

"The elf girl stabbed Rem, wanting to claim Alijah all for herself. What did she call you, dear? Oh, dirty little luma that deserved a worse death than the one you were going to get. Well, if it were not for me saving you again. This makes it four times now." Midnight recalled.

Alijah's hand tightened around mine. He was not happy to hear about that at all. Noticing the pressure in my hand, she turned to Alijah, who was trying to hide his anger. She would not allow that, though.

"You sure know how to pick them, lover boy. Maybe stick to the one you are meant to be rather than fucking every pretty leg out there. Oh wait, right, you can’t remember!" She chided Alijah, who chuckled in return.

He let go of my hand, standing up to face her head-on.

"That just makes things easy for me. I will enjoy snuffing the life out of that elf when I get my hands on her." Alijah smirked.

Midnight snickered in return. He really did not fear her at all or anyone. Yet... when I heard him in my delirious state when I was dying, his voice seemed to crack. He was as breakable as any of us. Edna would use me to try to do that, that much I was sure of.

"Oh! How lovely. Should I sit by the fire and see you do that, love? Please, there are more than your pleasantries at stake. So, don’t make me laugh, mutt." Midnight huffed unimpressed, though she also enjoyed his words.

My wolf truly meant it. The surrounding aura seemed the same as the day I met him. A trigger... If I were not with him... Alijah would have destroyed the world, like Vera said when she retold the events that they had witnessed.

"But you loved her," I mumbled, grabbing onto his shirt, attempting to bring back his kindness.

He gazed at me, patting my head as if I said something cute.

"Oh love, that woman was just a pass time." Alijah started, sitting back on the chair, having come back to his senses somewhat.

"I never loved her. In fact, never knew what love was until I met you, Rem." He assured me, gazing at Mom, and smirking at her.

"Like I said before, I will end that elf for hurting Rem. Even if it is the last thing I do. I also want to know if she had something to do with what happened in my past." He promised everyone in the room.

I tugged on his shirt. I was missing something. He already knew or suspected what I had been thinking.

But how? What am I missing?

"What?" I mumbled.

Midnight went ahead of me. She always knew what to say before I could say it. Of course, she was in my head already. Though... she would not say all of it.

"Probably, since that elf is rotten to the core. The way she stomped on Rem's face and told her she was an angel of death, left that impression." She pointed out.

It caused Alijah and my brothers to growl loudly upon hearing that. Even Dad and my uncles seemed unsettled by it. Mom had a scary scowl on her face, while Vera gazed towards the side.

"The bitch did what?" Alijah huffed, annoyed.

His aura was showing again while Midnight continued.

"Lilith said she was working with Edna from the very start. So, if the witch had something to do with the note, you brought back. Surely, they had a hand to play in your past." She informed.

Alijah shook his head, taking a quick peek at me before gazing back at her.

What note?

I really was missing something.

"You are vigilant for a bird. Even when Rem was out cold. Midnight was it?" Alijah noted.

The bird narrowed her eyes, snickering in return before turning to me.

'Harden up little pup, or else I will walk all over you.' She permeated through my thoughts before continuing.

"I prefer being called Midna. And I had to say something since it’s sad how Rem here is too scared to tell you anything. So, I had to show up and set her right. You see, she still is..." Midnight was interrupted by Vera clearing her throat, slamming the book once again onto the table.

It would be a nice safe, though Alijah would not let this go later. I would have to come clean... Surely. From his previous gaze, I knew he wanted to know everything from my mouth.

"We all could not care less about my sister's relationship. Though, it’s nice of you to show up Midnight, Midna, or whatever you call yourself.” My sister huffed, rolling her eyes.

“I have many questions for you. First, you called yourself the goddess of death when you reanimated Rem. That was a lie, right?" She changed the subject.

Though Alijah still had his gaze on me. After this was over, I would have to come clean to him about everything.

Stupid bird... I don’t want him to know...

‘Too bad butter cup.’ Midnight responded to me.

It made me want to murder her. Though her attention was not on me anymore. Not until she was on my sister.

"Oh? Did you do your homework?" Midnight smirked at Vera, who was not backing down.

When it came to history, records, and anything written in a book, my sister set out to know it all. After all, libraries were where she spent most of her free time. A habit she took from Mom.

"Plenty! You see when you called yourself that, but then showed yourself as a phoenix. It troubled me quite a bit. You see, they are not the typical messengers of death." Vera noted.

Midnight seemed slightly impressed by her knowledge.

"That led me to believe that you were, in fact, the goddess of rebirth. And that is why Rem can see souls and speak with them before they move on." She continued.

The bird chuckled, pleased by her brilliance, before trying to clap her wings.

"Bravo, perceptive little witch! Before I was killed, I was indeed the goddess of rebirth. You are correct." Midnight applauded Vera, who was not just done yet with her analysis.

"So, Rem is 'immortal'. After all, a phoenix never really dies. They are reborn soon after. Yet, in your case, your soul was ripped and placed into the soul cairn. Like all the other dead beings there." Vera added.

Her words caused Midna to tilt her head, snickering at her.

"Tell me, witch, why is that important to you?" Midnight asked my sister, who gazed at her with zero hesitation.

For a moment, she took a deep breath and slowly let it go.

"Because you are not evil as you want yourself to be," Vera concluded Midna's real intentions

The bird laughed, unable to handle herself.

"Oh? I’m not evil?" She chuckled, impressed with Vera, who had stolen the room like always.

My sister was always the smartest and best of all of us. She was really a better fit for god slayer than I ever would have been. That thought seemed to annoy Midna, though.

'She could never play your part, little pup. You are more than she will ever be.' Midnight once again caught onto my insecurities.

Her words caused me to wince, even though she did not turn away from my sister's gaze. It was impossible to hide anything from her.

"No, you are not evil at all. I also found an old record. You see, I make it a hobby to read every book there is. And I remember reading this story about how the goddess of rebirth tried to burn down an ancient book.” Vera started.

Her words caused Midnight to narrow her eyes and watch her intently.

“That was when her father killed her for it by ripping her out of her body and throwing her in an ancient prison made for the gods." Vera recounted what she had read.

Midnight appeared to get quiet and uneasy.

"At first, I thought it might have been a legend written by a storyteller, but then I realized they made the original in the old elven tongue. Then you came along, and I wondered if it was real. Usually, legends have some truth to them. So will you tell us which is and what isn't?" Vera stopped, gazing back at the bird.

Once again Midnight could not contain herself.

"Impressive witch! No wonder your sister has an inferiority complex! Really call me impressed! If only you had been chosen by him, too. Then again, you are nothing like him." Midnight applauded Vera yet again, suddenly turning somewhat disconnected.

It almost seemed like that part of her history was one that still pained her.

"You mortals and your records. Honestly, it’s interesting how that has survived until now. Even though I had not come to the elves in thousands of years. Though, I did try to warn them. Yes, I was the goddess of rebirth before being struck down by my father, the god of death.” Midna flapped her wings, gazing at me briefly before going back to Vera.

“My father killed me for trying to interfere with the book that will cause the end of the universe." She confessed.

In response, Vera narrowed her eyes.

"So, will you tell us how that book came to be? And what it is?" My sister got down to the real reason she started this.

It left me in awe. My sister was poised and focused while I was a wildcard. A true rival for anything I would ever accomplish. If Alijah had the chance.

He will surely fancy her too, right?

'Pathetic. I never thought I would see the day when I felt bad for your eternal lover.' Midnight once again caught on, pretending otherwise.

A stinging sensation radiated through my body. Her words were too sharp.

"And why should I do that? I think it would be much more interesting to see you struggle to find it, witch." Midnight countered.

Though Vera was not backing down either. For her, information could win wars.

"Because you chose Rem for a reason. And it isn't the one you gave us before." Vera pointed out.

Midnight shrugged in response.

‘That has nothing to do with you. It is me and them.’ She scuffed, gazing at me again shortly though.

"Oh? I picked her because of her affinity for death." She responded.

Vera was not convinced, though. Her eyes showed distrust towards the bird.

"No... It’s because she clings to life, isn't it?" Vera argued.

Midna shook her head, snickering again.

"Oh, clever girl. You think you have figured out everything, but you know nothing of why I chose her. However, you’re right, it has nothing to do with her affinity for death. All witches possess it.” She sighed, shaking her head.

“If it were that alone I would have picked you instead of this dimwit." She crackled, turning slightly to me.

Everyone in the room stayed quiet and listened to the dialog that followed.

"Dimwit?" I muttered, feeling annoyed at her assessment.

She was not wrong, though. I was a fool. And Midnight seemed to enjoy my reaction. Though what came out of her mouth would stop me in my tracks.

"I chose her because she is another god's reincarnation. Well, part of his soul, at least. None of that matters, though. By the end of this relationship, she will either be my tomb or reincarnation." Midnight informed.

I grabbed onto my chest as Alijah narrowed his eyes upon hearing that.

"I’m what?" I mumbled, unable to understand what she meant.

It was impossible. There was no way I was a god.

"The time the next blood moon ends will leave either you or me standing. Our souls will merge. If you survive it, you will get a boost from the powers I have gifted you. You might even help the lingering souls to move on. That includes those of the dead gods." Midnight clarified.

It confused me more. Nothing she ever said made any sense. Especially the part that I was a god in another life.

"So, by slayer, you meant something else?" Alijah intercepted.

She turned to him and snickered again.

"She will have to slay them to help them move on. And it’s not something that will happen within your lifetime either. Your descendants will all have to work until they free the last god from the chains of death. Until they are given a full rebirth. That was what I strive for. No… what must happen." Midnight announced, leaving everyone unsure of her intentions.

She seemed happy enough as it was.

"But that is impossible." I tried to deny her.

She huffed in response. Even her feathers puffed up too.

"You already did it once in Azear. Alijah already knows how it works, too. I gave him a crash course on everything you must learn. Though... It seems he still is struggling with it a bit too. Especially the part of the blood moon." Midna pointed out, flapping her wings.

"Yes, you did, but you also failed to mention the most important details. Like always, I guess." Alijah growled a bit.

She flapped her wings again, chuckling.

"Oh, was I too vague? If you survive the eternal witch's plan. You must destroy the book, with the sword made from my flame. And even then, it might be impossible to do so. That book was never supposed to exist. Thus, it must be destroyed." Midnight informed.

Vera stepped in again, not pleased with the knowledge that was given to us.

"But how was the book made? And why was Rem chosen for a god?" Vera asked Midnight again.

This time, the bird did not seem happy about her words. She had hoped my sister would have dropped it by now. Something Vera would never have allowed.

"Annoying girl. Fine, I will inform you. The oldest of gods made the book. They were trying to create rules for us gods and mortals to follow." Midnight answered vaguely.

Caden tilted his head.

"Oldest of gods?" He mumbled.

Midnight turned to him, suddenly snickering a bit. He seemed surprised by her approach, too. Though there was no hostility coming from her.

"Yes, Aster, the goddess of order, was the one who created it. Then Orenz, the god of chaos, messed with it because of his stupid jealousy. They were the first of the old gods to come into existence. They who brew life into the rest of us. Then we create you, mortals." Midnight answered him.

Aiden stepped in, too.

"So, they were lovers?" My brother asked.

She shook her head, somewhat disappointed by his question.

"You are not the bright brother..." Midnight sighed.

It caused him to growl at her.

"They were siblings, who created the universe you all live in. Though... everyone poured most of our love into this planet, Astea." She answered, rolling her eyes.

Vera continued where our brothers lacked.

"So, are there other planets like this one out in the cosmos?" Vera continued her query.

"No... There are stars and empty hulks that the gods left unfinished." Midnight replied, gazing around the room.

Everyone still had their eyes on her.

"They left it unfinished?" my sister mumbled to herself.

Midnight shrugged.

"Yes, they did. You see, when Aster created the book, and her brother messed with it, everything went to shit. Gods turned on one another. To curve this, I attempted to destroy the book, but my power was not enough.” She sighed, shaking her head.

It seemed like bad memories were emerging in her mind.

“Well, not that I could get close enough to try it. My feelings were a mess and made me act foolishly.” She stopped for a moment, gazing at me.

A moment later, she shook her head and gazed back at Vera.

“My father made sure of my downfall, too. He wanted the book to destroy the realms." Midnight sighed.

Mom gripped onto her chest as Shade climbed up over her shoulder. A bad memory from her past emerged. One I did not know of. She never spoke about her past, though it was not a pretty one.

"So, Aster and Orenz were killed by their children?" Mom asked Midnight, who smirked at her in response.

"Yes, pitiful really. You see, they created another god within the pages of the book without even knowing. One that seems to want the destruction of everything that exists within the realm of order and chaos.” The bird stopped for a moment, gazing down at the table.

It seemed she was holding things back.

“Whatever they created was stronger than them both. And by the time they figured it out, it was too late. It had corrupted their children. Thus, they killed the two, sealing them away in the soul cairn. Back then, it was only used for rogue gods. A fitting end for those fools, who thought they were untouchable." Midnight informed us, shrugging soon after.

Why did I feel like she was leaving something out? Something important… I could not place my finger on it, though.

"When the war began, it did not matter if you were good or bad. No, what was relevant was what side of the book you were in. Either destroy the book or allow it to do as it pleased. There was no other choice." Midnight added, shaking her head, probably trying to push away memories.

"So, the book is a god?" Vera muttered, shocked by what it truly was.

The book of life, Lilith called it back when she stabbed me.

"Essentially… And it’s one as strong as both our creators combined, which is why I wanted to see if I could hitch a ride on Fenrir's creation. And that would be Rem." Midnight acknowledged Vera's assessment.

In the end, it added more fuel to the fires of my confusion.

"The god that created us Lycans?" Dad finally spoke up, realizing this was a plan long coming and not only for the goddess that stood in front of us.

No, for more than just that. Edna and Midnight had been playing a game of chess the whole time.

"Yes, Fenris, you are correct. When Fenrir blessed the Lycans with the abilities of the blood moon, he did it because he wanted to bring back his brother from the soul cairn. He was a victim of the war that raged on for the book, like many of us who rot there." Midnight continued to retell before turning towards Alijah and snickering.

"Essentially, the first of the red-eye Lycans is the reincarnation of a god called Valdios, Fenrir's twin brother. Also known as the god of destruction." She announced as everyone in the room was left bewildered by what she had just said.

Within Alijah lives a god, too? What the actual fuck is going on?

"What?" Alijah mumbled, shocked.

Midnight snickered, enjoying having caught everyone by surprise. She would not stop there.

"You see, Fenrir loves to break the rules for his own selfish wants. No one was supposed to open the soul cairn after the war. Hoping the mortals would destroy all the gods by turning them into artifacts.” The bird paused for a moment, gazing at Alijah.

“Though, Fenrir couldn’t live with that. No, the day you were born, he opened the soul cairn to drag his brother's soul out. This was so he could create an opportunity for him to live within you, dear lover boy.” She continued, snickering a bit.

“That is where your destructive power comes from. It is why no Lycan will ever best you. Well, that was true until Rem was born.” She shifted her blue orbs onto me.

I felt frozen while in them.

“Fenrir wanted to live with you, too. So, he placed his soul into Rem. Of course, the curse fractured it sadly. But essentially, Rem and Fenrir are the same. Hm... Seems he got the ending he desired after all." Midnight clarified.

Alijah seemed perplexed, just like everyone else was. It was almost as if she was spouting nonsense, but there were no hints of deceit in her. Though it was not the complete truth, either.

If I had been sharper, I would have asked her what she meant, but my brain felt like it was melting. I could barely process what she was saying anymore. She was not slowing down, either.

"While Fenris, Caden, and Aiden all have Fenrir's full blessing, too. However, that was only to stop Alijah from destroying the world Fenrir cherishes. Though I did a better job at it than him. But what matters is that all he wanted was for you to be happy. He even came down here himself to be with you.” She chuckled, hiding something in those words.

“You see, Rem, you are the spitting image of the god of war. And Fenrir created the Lycans, who were the spitting image of his brother. That is probably the reason the curse failed to take you the day you were born. Gods have a weird way of loving others. Or maybe Fenrir wanted to clean his mess. I really can't tell, or can I?" Midnight added, enjoying the new atmosphere in the room.

One of pure bewilderment. Luckily, my eldest brother seemed to have been able to speak.

"But Fenrir is the god of the moon not of war." Aiden intercepted with what was known to us.

Midna broke out in laughter.

"Silly boy, the goddess of the moon is Selene. You can say she is their mother. Fenrir was the god of war, which is why you Lycans love to fight and protect what is yours to the death. It is what drives your authority and desires to conquer. Or at least it used to.” She scoffed, gazing around.

“Right now, you all seem tame for my liking. Especially Rem, who is supposed to be Fenrir himself. Then again, rebirth changes people. Or is it only towards Alijah who you are so tamed for?" Midnight snickered, trying to antagonize me.

Dad stepped in to drive the conversation.

"So, we were supposed to stop Alijah?" Dad asked.

Midnight shrugged again, "Yeah, I guess.”

To her, that was an unknown.

“I can’t know what Fenrir's plan was exactly, but surely was to stop Alijah without killing him. You see, Fenrir loved his brother to death. One might say even to the point of beyond a sibling ship. Then again, things like that are meaningless for gods.” She noted, pausing only for a moment to give room to process.

Though she continued soon after.

“We can procreate even with the same gender. I guess that is why he made Rem a female, though. Even so, I wonder if Alijah would have cared if Rem was a man in the end. I know I wouldn’t." Midna finished, gazing at my wolf with scorn.

I felt like I was being left behind by all the overload of information.

Alijah and I are demigods?

I still could not wrap my mind around that. It truly was unthinkable, yet the power Alijah had was not of this world. Even while bonded to me, he fought a shadow beast like it was nothing. Well, until he hit his limit. Then again, that time was restricted, too. And from what Vera had said previously.

Alijah had fought Midnight like it was nothing for him, too. Even though she went easy on them. Then... I... surely was not that. The bird had to be wrong.

I’m me and no one else.

"You are telling me I am a god reincarnated?" Alijah scuffed, unable to believe it.

In fact, none of us did. But could we argue with her? Midnight turned to him once again.

"A god that was supposed to serve under the book of life thanks to Fenrir's stupidity. That was until... Rem took you away and smite you to her will. Now you will serve against it. So, I guess Fenrir cleaned up his previous mess with my help.” She shrugged, shaking her head.

“Idiotic fool. I guess it is why she resembles him so much." Midna sighed.

Alijah chuckled, turning his gaze back on me.

I’m made for him by his brother... Or... I’m his brother?

I had no clue about what was happening anymore. All while Midnight here took the chance to turn me into her own puppet as well. Everything was so hard to swallow at this point.

"So, what happened with the book, though?" Vera got back to the topic.

Everything else seemed hard to believe. At least this was doable. Midnight snickered in response to her question.

"When it comes to the book, I can see very little since it’s not at par with gods my level, but after many of us were banished into the hole we were thrown in. The faction that was against the book sealed it away somewhere within Astea.” She informed, pausing for a moment again.

I felt like I wanted to puke. Nothing was clicking in anymore. Yet I sat there hoping something would make sense.

“In the end, it must have gotten into that witch's hands. Though the soul of the god itself must still be inactive or something must inhibit it. After all, you mortals are still alive. Even though it has been in that witch's hands for probably over six thousand years. That is, if that elven hag is to be believed. Or maybe we are missing something." Midnight finished, not wanting to give too much.

I gazed down at the floor. This was... too much.

Is the room spinning?

"Why help us?" Vera continued, trying to pry information from Midnight.

I felt a pulse of pain radiate from my body that instant, though. It snapped me out of my self-pity, causing my vision to blur.

"Seems my time is up." She started to dissipate.

Little orbs of darkness left her body as I slumped over, only for Alijah to catch me.

"Rem!" he called out for me.

My brothers stood up from where they were to rush towards me, too.

"Remember Rem, by the next blood moon. When you get the boon from Fenrir's power… at that moment, either you will be a part of me or I of you. Your body is essential for what is coming." Midnight bid farewell, vanishing.

She left me gasping for air as Alijah held me close to his chest. Everything was too messy.

Why is all of this happening now? Why can’t we have a simple life without the gods dictating the way we live?

I was created for Alijah, yet Midnight twisted my life to her own fitting. All while helping me connect with Alijah to not ruin Fenrir's plan.

Is that what is happening? Why did she not pick Vera? Am I really part of a god? Why... is this...

The book of life had tried to end me more than just once. Or so at least we believed. No matter the reasons, I did not want any of this. I did not want to be anyone's savior. No, that would only apply to Alijah.

 Eh... are these feelings even mine or are they there because of the gods, too? Is anything my will? No... these feelings for him are real. I would give the world for my wolf, but... are they my own?

Everyone gathered around me, worried, while I tried to get a grip on myself.

Is this what she was after? My fear? Regrets? Confusion?

No matter what I understood, my destiny was clear. If Alijah and my family were to live, I would have to accept my current state no matter what it was. I would have to become this thing Midnight wanted me to be. And I would only have six months to do it.

The moment I calmed down, Dad took the chance to inform everyone that the next blood moon was in six months. A timer was set to whether I would win this battle against myself or succumb to Midnight's will.

Will anything ever go my way?

Hope you guys are enjoying the story! And all its new developments!

3