Chapter Two
786 4 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Obligatory Disclaimer : I do not own anything (except maybe OC characters) all characters, places, worlds, universes…etc mentioned here belong to their respective owners and/or companies. 

This is purely a work of fiction. Not meant to offend or incite, but to entertain and (maybe) inspire.


SAVE ME A KISS


I stood on the roof, focused and jumped. I fell face first into the mowed lawn, denting the soft soil and thankful I kept my mouth shut instead of taking another bite of fresh grass.

The lawn was littered with small pits and potholes, a result of my night long endeavor to master the power of flight which also served as proof of my enhanced physical abilities since I wasn’t busy picking my teeth off the floor. 

I rolled to my back and lay there, my eyes up and staring at the unblemished, unpolluted night sky. 

Didn’t Mark get this in one shot?

He did yeah, but I wasn’t Mark. I mean I am, but I wasn’t. I’ve got his memories and family, but I’ve got memories from a past life too. So who am I? Mark with my memories? Or my memories with Mark?

The night sky compels certain philosophical tendencies. My vision let me see the stars closer than they really were, white cotton candy like clouds floated lazily across the sunless, moonlit translucent, deep blue fluid that was the sky.

A soft breeze caressed my skin, the air smelled crispy and fresh like morning dew stained leaves. The silence was beautiful, it was a perfect image of serenity. A monk’s dream of heaven was what I was seeing. 

I rose to push myself off the floor but noticed that there wasn’t a floor beneath me. My eyes widened as I looked at the shrunken landscape under me. I was floating thousands of meters in the sky unaided by any device whatsoever. 

I’m flying!

“Wow” was all I could say. My heart was excited and terrified. Deep down, past the question of how I could breathe at such heights was the gnawing thought of falling to my death. My fears were only alleviated by the knowledge that I possessed super durability, and I trusted it to keep me alive to an extent. If I also did fall, whatever damage I sustained would hopefully be mended by a yet untested healing factor. 

Still, is this how Superman feels? Like a god staring down at ants? This was intoxicating¸ the feeling, not the assumed god complex. I tried moving and rotated on my axis like a ball spinning in zero gravity. It was strange and weird, like walking with a third leg you never knew you had. The muscle had to be developed as had the familiarity. 

I inhaled, closed my eyes and channeled my focus. I didn’t want to break the sound barrier, I wanted control. Slowly, steadily, I pushed the new found limb. It responded like a petulant child presented with candy, for that moment —as long as it received the candy— it obeyed me. 

I moved six feet—corvid made me know that length by heart— to the left and then to the right, there must have been a stupid wide grin on my face because my cheeks were starting to ache. I pushed again, moving up and then tried to do the opposite. 

The candy ran out, the child lost its patience, my focus waned and gravity came to me as though I were but a block of led with paperclips for wings. 

Winds buffeted me, slapping against me so hard they sent me tumbling uncontrollably and made it exponentially hard to even hear myself think. I tried focusing, but too many things were going on for me to reach that state again. This was why it needed to be a passive unconscious action, you couldn’t walk by micro managing each and every muscle in your feet, you’d go insane. 

I couldn’t trash my focus so I compromised. Focusing without focusing like trying to walk 25% faster than normal or trying to clap to a beat without listening to it—you might nail it at the start and then you zone out and lose the rhythm.

Splash. I dropped into the uncaring, cold depths of the ocean with no idea which one it was. All I knew was that it was dark, wet and salty; and among the things I didn’t know was how to swim and the dirty joke that would complete this situation. 

This was a very stupid way to die. My story had just begun. How could I catch a fade this quick? I calmed down and held my breath. Adult Viltrumites could go weeks without air, that was how they flew through space without the need for oxygen tanks. 

I might not be able to hold my breath for weeks on end—I didn’t have to. I just needed to get my bearings and fly out of this mess. I needed to summon the spirits of irresponsible fathers who had the ability to escape sticky situations, or who went out of the house for a smoke and became the smoke.

Stop fucking around. We’re dying here.

You think I don’t know that? This is my process.

I knew the limb now, that foreign thing with rapidly developing muscles, I reached out to it with a new found familiarity—like having sex for the second time in your life, inexperience gave way to instinctual ease, true experience was still far off but you now know your way around. I held on and pushed, shooting through the salty deep, water bubbled past my ears and the salt wasn’t as irritating on my eyes as I thought it’d be, neither was the pressure. 

My body has certain adaptations that allow me to be able to fly up and down, most notable being my very developed auditory canals, which meant I had an astounding sense of balance and spatial awareness. In simple terms, I knew my way up from down even if I couldn’t see—so there was little chance of me going down instead of up.

“Grraahg!” Water rushed into my open mouth as I yelled out. Something had broken through the darkness and that same thing clamped viciously jagged teeth around my torso. It pushed against my ascent, aiming to drag me with it into the dark, freezing depths. 

I felt around and found soft flesh above the jagged teeth. Where there was a mouth, there was most likely a head. I buried my panic, ignored the dreadful sensation of oxygen deprivation and straightened my fingers recalling where I felt the soft flesh was and shoved my hand so hard I buried my entire arm into it, whatever it was. 

The pushing stopped, but its teeth were still clamped around my side and my chest burned from the lack of air. I dragged the thing up with me, breaking past the water’s uniform surface and into the night sky wheezing in pain as air finally found its way into starved lungs. 

I gazed down at the weight on my arm. A sixteen foot, streamlined creature the size of a bear, had its eyes and bits of its warm brain sticking out of it. It was a great white shark, bloody and disfigured, hanging limply from my hand. I extracted my shaking limb from its warm and slippery flesh, bits and pieces of its flesh clinging to my skin as I did. I held the overgrown fish closer, observing its wickedly sharp teeth that would’ve torn me in half had I not any powers. 

I pried away a section of its pearly whites as a souvenir and a reminder that this was a world out to swallow me up—why else would I be put in this body.

I could have been sent into Omni-man’s body, it would’ve been exponentially easier to save the world if I was him. 

The chances of being attacked by a shark out of the blue and were impossibly slim and yet I just so happened to be attacked by one. I noted the need to be mindful of my situation and surroundings.

Which way led back to America again?

*.*.*.*

I crashed through the tree and then into the pavement. I didn’t know how much trouble I’d get into for that, it was for future me to deal with. I had to get to bed, I was cold and tired and literally salty.

I flew back up and into the still open window, this time nailing my landing albeit a bit shakily. I lay into the bed, closed my burning eyes and wrapped my body in the warm blanket like a burrito, ignoring the fish scent over my body. As soon as my head hit the pillow I drifted off.

*.*.*.* 

Brrring! Brrring! Brrring!

Went the alarm—my phone on the dresser drawer. I ignored it and meditated, listing out all the reasons why chucking it through the wall would be unwise. As I felt the noise fade into the background and sleep once again draw me into her sweet hold.

The door clicked open, light steps sounded out from the entrance and stopped at the bed. The question on my mind was whether Omni-man was staring at me in silence. The fact that he had yet to say a thing confirmed my conjecture. 

Maybe he wasn’t doing it in the creepy stalker way, maybe my paranoia was twisting a father’s expression of worry into a sinister thing. I groaned and made a display of lazily awakening, slowly turning over to face him. 

Patriotic blue eyes, a squarely masculine face with a moustache that dripped testosterone. If I had to define him physically, I’d say he’s built to withstand the end of the world and then rule it. His very air was one of unquestionable authority. 

So, as I sat up on the bed and turned to face this kingly beast of a man, in the hijacked body of his son, I relaxed and smiled. “Good morning dad.” I said putting my Grammy worthy acting to use, realizing that it was a bit uncharacteristic for this body to not begin the day by complaining. 

This body. Hah, I’m saying it like it’s a common piece of clothing I can put on and off whenever I want to.

He rubbed my head, a brilliant smile on his face. “Put some pants on my boy, we’ve got some flying to do.”

“Sure thing.” I pushed off the bed, and then stopped. “You’re also going to teach me to be bigger and stronger right?” I said jokingly, but there was truth in jest. You couldn’t go wrong with muscle mass, or strength training, especially if it’d increase your output force, especially if you were a super alien.

He raised a brow, his smile widening “I thought you’d never ask.”

Good. Lovely, train me to be as deadly as you are, stronger even. I’m ready to put the effort in. You’ll probably be proud. Because I know exactly which buttons to push to make you so. And when this is all over with, the moment I realize that you’re no longer a threat, we’ll have a hell of a time Omni-man.


Enjoyed it? Wanna tell me how? Simple, get on the floor, raise your hands and do the dinosaur!...I'm kidding. A review or comment would suffice.

Make sure you stay safe my wonderful citizens. Rain loves you <3 <3

The Piper and The Huntsman: https://www.amazon.com/Piper-Huntsman-Hunt-Reign-Reid-ebook/dp/B092RDS87S

Big thanks to my Patrons, you do not realize the magnitude of good your support does. Thank you very, very much;

Andreas Samuelsson (Slade Killson)

Clinton (Titan Breaker)

David J (Celestial Devastator)

King_Reaper ( Kaiser Raiser )

PbookR (Infinity's Librarian)

Ido Gormizo (Gravity's Tyrant)

Godkingash (Heavenly Overlord)

Frodo the fourth (Eternal Emperor)

Belduim (Moon Maker)

Justlovereadin (Diamond Duke)

Robert Jefferson (Notorious BFG)

Simply Invincible (Onepunch Lord)

Scott Shar (Fade Lord)

Zack Crum (Master Z)

Douglas Bernard (Atom Smasher)

Douglas Pilkington (Storming Sword)

Rebek (Radioactive Knife) 

Xedex (Kill Billie Jean)

Joseph Bipp (Bad Prince)

Cultivating Reader (Bomber Kane)

Turtle (Slow Die) 

Aaron Kay (Mean Keyz)

Karam (Fightzone)

Ahmed Ayub (Alt+f4)

Well, I'll leave you all to enjoy your day/night with me on your mind.

Till next time, Rain (the best ever) away!

You can come find me, 

ON TWITTER: @Rainreider https://twitter.com/RainReider

On PAT RE ON: https://www.patreon.com/ReidR41n

On YOUTUBE: https://is.gd/RaiNation

On INSTA (Where I post memes): @rainnmaine

31