Chapter 4: Man Vs Monsters
210 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yurkets were one of the worst monsters any new recruits or even veteran soldiers could face. These monsters were nocturnal dog like spiders, that swarmed in packs of at least a dozen. They were fast, completely lacking in the strength department as all of their muscle development had been funneled to the six spindly legs they have.

They loved to eat their prey alive, and they're so skilled in it that their preys don't usually die until they were chewing into their hearts or brains. But that wasn't what made them so feared and hated, they were an elf's favorite torture tools. And countless humans had seen their end at the hands of these beasts..... including my mother.

The reinforced glass will hold for now, seeing how they were crawling over the frame it seems my pod was standing right side up. Which was good for me, the reinforced Glass was only large enough for one of those things to come in, and it takes 3 seconds for the hand cannon to charge a shot, longer if I was going for more damage. And the Mana clip in it should have enough ammunition for 20 shots before I have to replace it.

I have a standard issue transformative evolving battle tool. An expensive gift from my uncle, two hand guns with two extra ammunition for both. The hand cannon has three more excluding the one currently inserted. And the assault rifle has four extra clips excluding the one in it.

Enough ammunition to wipe out a pack of Yurkets, assuming I live long enough to do so. I sat back and move my left leg a bit, using it to position my broken right leg on a red pulley at the foot of the pod. It was a Secondary eject module, just in case the first failed. It was sturdy enough to do what I needed it to do.

*Bang! Crack! Bang! Crack!*

My calculations was way off, the Yurkets would be through that glass in just a few seconds. I gritted my teeth, took quick rapid breaths and then leaned backwards with as much force as I could muster.

* CRACK!! CRACK!!*

The reinforced glass and my leg gave in at the same time. The glass imploded inwards, it's shards raining allover my body as the bone that was sticking out of my leg was shove right back in. White hot pain lanced through my body as I raised the hand cannon and squeezed the trigger.

*VOOM!*

The first Yurket had it's skull blasted to pieces as it's black blood rained allover me. The concussive blast from the hand cannon had pushed the rest of the Yurkets back and off the body of the drop pod, giving me just enough time to set and save my life.

"Light Heal!"

If I survive, I needed more time to experiment with the Light Heal skill, I needed to know just how much healing it gave at such a low level. But be that as it may, I felt my vision swim as black spots seemed to creep around it's edges. My entire body began shaking as an intense feeling of exhaustion came over me in that moment, my Mana was completely drained and moving my body was a little bit too hard for me at the moment.

*Screeririririr!*

But with my life on the line, I couldn't really pay attention to the weakness I was feeling. Two Yurkets shoved their head through the hole on my drop pod, each trying to be the first to get to me. They were stuck, which gave me weakened body enough time to raise the Hand cannon and blast at their heads.

The Hand cannon had an impact area that was half a meter in diameter. In simple cases it could punch a hole through a man's chest, and it extreme ones it could blast away the entire upper body of a person. It was an extremely powerful weapon with the only draw back being it's rate of fire.

Never the less, the next shot was charged for an extra three seconds, it blasted and vaporized the heads of the Yurkets and much of their upper body, and also caused damage to the hatch of the drop pod. Two or three more strikes like this and I would lose all of my defense.

There was a lull, probably a calm before the storm. I have already taken down three of these things, there's no telling just how much more of them were there. But they were now re-accessing their life's choices, which was good. It would be nice if they left completely,but the Yurkets had mannerisms similar to the hyenas on Earth. They would never give up an easy meal, especially when they know their prey was weak.

I was on my last legs, but I had no choice but to hold on for morning. It should be a little ways past midnight by now. I just had to hold on for another three or four hours, it was the only choice I had, I was stuck.

[Light Heal has reached level 2! +1 to Physique +1 to Magic]

That came as a shock to me, a level up in the midst of a battle. But then again considering my current state, and severity of the injuries I've had to heal, perhaps it wouldn't be too far fetched for the skill level to increase. Though so far I haven't really been paying attention to the proper behavior of the skill, I was in pain and was current being besieged, I really couldn't focus at the moment.

*Screeririririr!*

"Shit!*

*VOOM!*

I blasted another hole through the body of another Yurket, it's body was hanging over the opening so it was all too easy to rip said body in half. I had more of their blood and hugs spilled on me, but at this point I didn't really give a shit about it, I just want to survive.

[Druid Class has leveled up to 1! All energies refreshed! +3 to magic, +1 to movement.]

I blasted another Yurket away just as an extreme bout of happiness and euphoria washed through me. In my tense and pain filled state I completely forgot about this effect. Kill enough natives, monster or elves and you will level up. And while unlike video games leveling up didn't heal you to your peak, it just refilled your lost energy, physical stamina and Magical Mana.

I shifted a bit of attention to my broken leg, just spamming the heal spell wouldn't work, it would take me a lot more time to be done. And that was time I didn't have. To get the healing done faster I needed to focus on one aspect of the injury and solve that before moving on to the next.

For some reason I wasn't bleeding much.it was weird, but that's the reason why I'm still alive, so I'd rather not look a gift horse in the mouth. I could only focus on one aspect of my injury, and that would be my bones.

It should use less Mana, and I should be able to heal it enough to a simple fracture, before focusing on my arm and then closing whatever wounds I have left. And at the same time defend myself from the onslaught of the monsters outside my drop pod. All in a night's work.

"This is going to be an extremely long night!"

13