Chapter 9
109 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stared at the forest outside the window as I rest my chin on my palm. 

I'm bored. It's so peaceful, so quiet and I don't have anything to do. Nothing is interesting to do. I get bored in planting now too.

I took a deep sigh.

I tried to learn alchemy and magic but I figured that they are impossible for me to learn without a teacher.

To learn magic, you must have the ability to feel the mana. Not everyone can feel mana and you can't learn it too. Feeling mana is something that someone had from the day they are born. I don't feel the so-called 'mana',  learning mana is impossible.

Learning alchemy is not impossible but the alchemy book is very hard to understand. There are so many symbols and so much jargon. I can't even understand a single thing, even the illustrations are very hard to understand, but it seems to be quite interesting.

I asked Leonardo if there is an alchemist who can be my teacher but he said, "There is no existing alchemist in the demon territory."

"Why?"

"Alchemists and demons are not on good terms. We demons hate them and they also hate us too."

"Why?"

"Well, it happened a long time ago. Alchemists are eccentric and also they can do the cruelest things to a specific race because of their curiosity."

He holds my hand as if he is looking for comfort. He took a sigh and looked down.

"There were alchemists who got curious about the demons. You see, demons are a very unique race because we all come from different sizes, appearances, and abilities."

"I've read about it. If a mother is a snow demon and the father is also a snow demon it doesn't mean that their child will be a snow demon, the child can be something else like a fire demon or earth demon. However, the child is still in the category of an elemental demon."

"Yes, that's right. The alchemist got curious about how the child becomes a fire demon and not a snow demon, for them it doesn't make any sense. So they experimented with so many demons to fill out their curiosity. The Demon King at that time got so angry that he declared war on the alchemists. There were bloodbaths and then for some reason it stopped."

"How did it stop?"

"It was not clear. It was only said that the Demon King and the Head of the Alchemist signed an agreement. It was not clear and I'm also not sure what type of agreement they had. However, the demons and alchemists are still not on good terms. Whenever an alchemist and a demon meet, a fight will surely happen. Demons hate alchemists more than humans."

Does this mean that if I become an alchemist I will be hated by all demons? By Leonardo? I'm curious about alchemy but... I think it's not worth it if the result of it will be a dispute between me and Leonardo.

"Why do you want to learn alchemy?"

"Oh, nothing. It's just for fun. I'm bored. I have nothing to do."

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"Because I locked you up in this place. I feel like I preventing you from having your freedom."

"It's okay. I don't care much about it anyway. Maybe because I'm used to it."

"What do you mean?"

"Just ignore what I said. You don't need to be guilty about anything. I don't feel bad about this. I like this peacefulness. Though, I'm starting to think that your time and effort on summoning me was useless."

"No, no, it's not! You helped me a lot!"

"I don't have any holy powers like Angelica. I wonder what kind of god helped you to summon me."

I'm not having self-pity, I'm just stating the fact...

Holy Light, I wonder how does it work and what it looks like. No matter how many books I read about, it was not clearly stated. It was said that it can eliminate evil which is the demons. I think this information cannot be trusted.

I have lived here for a long time. Though I haven't talked with anyone other than Leonardo, he doesn't seem to be evil. Saying that demons are evil, I don't believe it. I believe that they are the same as humans. There are good demons and bad demons. It just depends on where you stand. In this case, I stand beside Leonardo. To be honest he is the first friend I have ever had and the first person who's ever got close to me.

Sorry, Angelica, I guess we are destined to be enemies but I will still congratulate you for having a family on your own. I bet that your baby looks cute.

"Leonardo, you have spies planted on the human kingdom, right?" 

"Yes, I have, though they only have a commoner status there." 

"Why? Can't they have higher status? Do some of them work at a palace?"

"That's quite hard. You see, people working at the palace have a very strict evaluation. They have an item that detects if you have any demon blood."

"Does this mean that you don't have any human spies?"

"Yes. It's impossible to get one."

"Impossible? Or maybe you can't just trust someone who betrayed their race?"

"Something like that."

"How about you send me?"

"What?! No! Absolutely not!"

"Why not?"

"It's dangerous! We don't know what will happen to you out there!"

"Don't you trust me?"

"I do but...Something might happen to you!"

"Don't you trust me?"

"I said I do—"

"If you do then let me do what I want. You know, I feel useless. All I do is spend my time here, I feel like a freeloader."

"I—"

"I know that you don't think like that. I know that you sincerely want to look after me. However, do you want me to spend my whole life here until I die?"

"But—"

"Don't worry, if I ever failed there. I will return here and will never think about leaving again."

"Give me some time to think. Your request is so sudden."

He said and walked out.

I took a sigh and looked at the forest outside the window.

All that I said was just a pack of nonsense. I just want to go out. I'm bored. I was thinking that if I ever go out, I might find something interesting to do. 

Staying here on the demon territory is not safe so I decided to go to the human territory. Of course, I will fulfill my suggestion as being a spy. 

I will help Leonardo and at the same time get out of boredom, killing two birds with one stone.

6