Chapter 17
60 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


Chapter 17

When we got to the place where servants eat. Everyone has already taken their seats

"We call this place 'Servant's Eating Court'." The maid said.

This place looks like a small cafeteria and everyone has their group eating silently. The only thing you can hear is the plate. You can hear a faint voice of conversations but it's so quiet like they are whispering to each other.

Everyone is wearing their uniforms so you can pretty much guess what kind of work they have.

The only people who are wearing casual clothing are us, the newly hired gardeners.

Now that I think about it…where are the other gardeners? Are they assigned to a different area or there are no other gardeners besides us?

Won't it be more convenient if the one who showed us around is a person who has the same work as us since they know the ins and outs of the job? I still don't know how things work around here, I need to observe and try not to get into trouble.

I tried to observe the surroundings while following the group.

"That table is your preserved table. You are not allowed to use any other table and you must all eat together. Your food will come in a minute. That is all. Have a nice meal." The maid and Diego walked away.

Before Diego went out of the "Servant's Eating Court", he gave us all a glare.

Seriously…

We all sat in our respective seats and stayed in silence. No one seems to want to talk first.

"Your food." A fat lady with a food cart smiled at us. "I'm one of the cooks here and the one is assigned to cook the food of the newly hired gardeners, your food. I am Rina. You can call me Cook Rina."

We also introduce ourselves to each other. Because of that, the mood seems to have lightened and everyone started to talk about random things. They easily made new friends. How nice…

The food that they gave us was simple fried rice with carrots and a very small amount of eggs. We have water for drinks.

This kind of food is very good for servants. I'm quite happy that they are giving us free food and they are deliciously cooked too. Maybe the owner of the house is not as cruel as I thought. Diego might be the only exception. However, it's too early to conclude anything.

The new gardeners are also very satisfied with the food as they take a bite with a satisfied smile on their faces.

After I first ate my food, I drank a whole glass of water and waited for the others to finish.

A few minutes later, I heard the sound of a bell. Someone shouted. "Lunch break is over!"

Everyone automatically got up from their seats and left the room. We did the same thing.

We went back to our work. Unlike the last time, the people are having a lively conversation while taking off the grass and you can hear laughter. This cheerful and bright atmosphere didn't last long for Diego appeared with his glaring eyes. Diego is giving me a bad feeling.

"Slacking off at work? You've got guts. Since you've got very big guts not even doing your job properly, your wages will be deducted with 2 silver." He said as if he is doing justice. He has this satisfied and proud expression on his face as if he has slain a demon general and got a medal for it. 

This person has a problem with his brain, I'm sure of it!

We only get to earn 5 silvers a month for doing this job and you're going to take 2 silver? That's pretty big and unreasonable! What he's saying is not even true! What the heck is wrong with this guy? Is he some kind of comedian with a dark sense of humor?

Haha, my thoughts don't make sense…I'm just too shocked with this guy.

I don't understand how this kind of person thinks. I don't understand how his mind works…

I thought he only had 'noble status' syndrome. Now I know that he is in crack too.

But to be honest, I kind of find this guy quite hilarious. Though this feeling is not enough to make up the 2 silver coins.

I sneak a peek at everyone to see what type of reaction they are making. They seem to be shocked too. I can see some people clenching their fists and wanting to punch Diego to death. I understand how you feel.

Diego is a perfect example of someone who is...let's just say he is someone who abuses his power.

"Why are you doing this?" The words came from a boy who seems to be at the age of...13 - 15? He's hiding his face on his knees and he seems to be crying because his voice and shoulders are trembling. 

He has fluffy-looking wavy short brown hair. He looks like a cute type.

I looked at Diego. 

Oh no, his face is not looking good. His face is red with anger as if he's going to eat the boy at any moment. Before he could open his mouth another voice went out.

"Yeah! Why are we doing this to us? We did nothing wrong! Deducting our wages even though we didn't do anything wrong." The muscular man said with a very deep voice.

Diego tensed up. 

I will get tensed up too if I hear that very intimating deep voice directed to me plus that muscle that can kill a person with only one punch. He's a very huge man too. I wonder why he became a gardener instead of becoming a guard or something?

Because of this other gardeners got the courage to stand up and also voice their complaints towards Diego.

I want to laugh because this situation gives me a 'revolution' vibe. I wonder if something will change because of this.

Now that I think about it, Diego is a butler. Is his work involved in observing us and reporting the things we do? Is he the one who reports to the superior if we are suitable enough for the job? If yes, these people right now are in huge trouble.

I just continued what I'm doing and pretended that I'm not involved in the situation.

There is also another person who's doing the same thing. He just continued doing his work with indifference.

Hmmm, interesting.

3