25 – Never make a girl cry
1.1k 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

unedited banner

 

“Let’s see…” Alan said to himself, checking a map of the Eurola region. “A blimp can’t take me all the way to Unus Town… So I’d have to buy a ticket to Flymouth, and walk like a day from there. Is that correct?”

“That is correct, sir,” the male NPC standing beside him replied. “Would you like to buy a ticket?”

“Yes, please…”

The NPC created a system window for Alan to tap, asking for 100 gold. There goes all my money.

“All set. Just take the closest elevator available, and you will be able to board the blimp on platform two, sir.” The NPC paused to examine him from head to toes. “By the way, you don’t have to walk around in wet clothes. You can set them to be dry.”

Alan’s face flushed. “Oh! I didn’t know that…”

“Would you like me to assist you with that?”

“No, thanks. I’ll figure it out myself.”

“All right, then. Have a nice day.”

As the NPC walked away, Alan glanced at the empty station. Despite today’s chaos, it doesn't seem like people are eager to leave this city in droves… Or most citizens have flying mounts and vehicles. He sighed. At least this place is still working for losers like me.

His steps echoed through the halls of the Manafloo Station as he passed by closed food establishments. The place was so massive that he could manipulate his User Interface without the fear of bumping into anything.

He checked his clothes’ info in his Inventory window and tapped the ‘Dry’ option, feeling that his pants and jacket lost weight and became warmer immediately.

My Beginner’s set doesn't have this feature, so this outfit must be super expensive. Thanks, Astrid.

He waited until getting inside the elevator to bang his forehead against the automatic doors.

Oh, man, that was terrible!

With a soothing bell sound, the elevator welcomed him to Platform #2, but he looked at the place with a pained expression. There, he found ten other Users waiting for the blimp to arrive, who frowned at the sight of the low number above his head. He ignored them while contemplating a top view of the rainy city.

This is for the best. I know it.

He shut his eyes, trying to repress the thoughts that screamed that he should turn back. He almost listened to the inner pledges that urged him to sprint back to the Shooting Stars HQ. His imagination even forced him to see a scene of him embracing Astrid and telling her that he did not care what happened to The Santa María anymore. Something deep inside of him wanted to tell Isabella II to find another fool to do the job, and he wished for the strength to tell Isabella I that living a peaceful life by Astrid’s side was worth more than the safety of the entire ship’s population.

But I’d be lying to myself…

An electronic voice announced: “Express blimp bound for Flymouth now arriving on platform two. For your safety, please stand behind the yellow line.”

That’s right… He snickered while the yellow aircraft opened its doors with a beeping sound. It doesn’t matter what I want. Not until everyone is safe.

Until then…

He absently stepped forward, hearing the clicking of high heels behind him. As he let other passengers board first, he did not notice the mechanical beetle attached to his clothes falling on the floor and combusting. 

Inside, he ignored the gazes of others and looked for the farthest seat available.

This is for the best, he thought, looking at the constant rain hitting the porthole.

The sound of high heels reached him again, getting closer. “Is this seat occupied?” a woman asked.

“No,” he replied quietly, feeling that someone smelling of strawberries sat beside him.

Alan rested his forehead against the porthole’s glass and sighed. Everything’s going to be alright. I’m sure of it. Even though I don’t have the resources or—wait…

Alan turned to his left, finding a known redhead, folding her arms. “Amelia?” he pronounced her name in a tired tone of voice. “What are you doing here?”

“Me? I’m going on a vacation. You?”

“Vacation?” He shook his head. “This blimp’s destination is Flymouth… I don’t think you’ll—” 

“Good! Just what I needed.” She giggled. “A tranquil, low-level zone. Far away from the noise of the city… And the annoying voices of petulant guilders.”

“You’re kidding, right? Yesterday, you were celebrating with your new guild.” He tilted his head. “Unless you’re quitting Death Bringers too.”

“I’m technically not even a member yet. There is a 48-hour restriction to join another guild, you know? So I’m free to go wherever I want.” She suddenly groaned. “I’m kind of burnt out from all this guild crap, you know? A break from all this bullshit would be nice.”

He narrowed his eyes on her. “But you’re a max-level User. Wouldn’t a vacation mean a hard stop to your progress?”

Amelia sighed, annoyed. “Not everyone is preoccupied with being in the ranking charts, Ghost.”

He thought about it for a moment before sneering. “If this trip to Londorus has taught me anything, it’s that power means everything here.”

Amelia stared at him as he looked through the porthole. The light from the Novus’ sunset illuminated his melancholic face warmly. 

“What about you, Ghost?” she asked softly. “Are you quitting Shooting Stars?”

“Yes…” he replied dryly.

“Bummer.”

Alan remained in thoughtful silence for a second before jolting from his seat, startling her. “Wait! There’s still something we need to discuss! What did you mean by ‘I may have overheard your conversation with Marco?!”

“Seriously, lower your voice,” she whispered, glancing at the other curious passengers. “I won’t hide it, okay? So, yes, that’s exactly what happened.

“But why would you do that?! Did Marco--?”

“Don’t even finish that sentence! I did it on my volition, okay? You were acting pretty suspicious and weird yesterday, so it was natural for me to feel curious about it. Curiosity is a sign that I’m a healthy woman, you know.”

“Forget what I said earlier about you being a cool gal! You’re the devil incarnate!”

“Hey, you can’t retract that! And that may not be an understatement…”

“Oh, for the love of everything that is holy!” Alan cried, bending down his head all the way to his knees and pulling out his hair. “How much did you hear?”

“Everything. You’re looking for a ‘Digital Boogeyman’, according to him. Did I hear that right?”

Alan’s face turned bright red. He wanted to scream, to yell at this meddling evil woman. But he then remembered what she had done for him just hours ago.

While Marco mocked me and belittled the situation, this woman has bled for me. But…

“What do you intend on doing with that info?” he asked sternly, raising his head. If she was just pretending, he would see her crack a smile and burst on laughing. But she looked at him, expectantly.

“It depends. How critical is the situation?” She leaned toward him. “Is this spaceship really in danger?”

“What if I told you that we’d have to go to the deepest layers of hell to accomplish this mission?”

“Hell? That won’t be a problem.” She smirked, straightening her posture. “You’re talking to Amelia Laflamme, The Hell Princess, remember?”

“Y-Yeah…”

“So! Are we partners then?” She beamed, reaching out a hand to him, but he observed it with caution, waiting for it to produce deadly flames at any second.

“But why? I thought you hated me.”

“Are you seriously rejecting the only person willing to help you in this entire world? The help of a Max-Leveler, no less!”

“I’m not alone.” He looked away. “I have an ally waiting for me at the Renovatio Caves.”

“Our first destination is settled, then!” she grinned while making gestures to an NPC selling snacks to get close. “Do you want some candy? My treat.”

This… reeks… Alan thought, narrowing his eyes at the smiling woman.

After a one-hour ride, when the blimp arrived at Flymouth, Amelia did not waste time summoning her flying mount outside the station. An enormous winged tiger, that glanced at Alan as if he was tonight’s dinner. 

“See? This is one of the many benefits of hanging out with a Max-Leveler! You won’t have to walk all the way to the Renovatio Caves.”

“That’s cool, but, hold on…”

She ignored him, while opening her User Interface.

“Let me get my riding gear first. Equip set C.” Her dress shone bright and turned into pixels, changing its shape in an instant. Alan’s mouth then dropped as he admired her new skintight suit. The red shade from the jewel on her neck, her lips, and her hair stood out the most among her black attire. “Sorry!” she said while picking up her pilot goggles. “I didn’t ask you if you wanted to take a tour around Flymouth first. Should we grab a bite before taking off?”

“Good idea!” He beamed, turning around. “Why don’t you buy something to eat while I look for a bathroom, okay? I haven’t been able to go since this nightmare started! Let’s meet here in… 15 minutes? Got it? Got it!”

Amelia observed his awkward gestures in silence as he walked away in a rush. She then sighed. “Charlotte?” she whispered to her pet. “This guy looks like a really comfy pillow, don’t you think?”

“What?!” Alan heard loud footsteps just before the 1000-pound cat caught him with its paws and threw him to the ground. “Hey, let go! Come on!”

“Look! My cat caught an escaping little mouse,” Amelia intoned from atop her beast. “Oh, now I see the appeal of that surname of yours!”

“Cut the crap, Death Bringer!” Alan yelled. “I know that Marco or that Kathleen loli sent you!”

“I already told you that I’m not—”

“Do you want to help ME?! Don’t make me laugh! After defending your dear Lord’s honor the other night by killing me a bazillion times, you come here all sunshines and rainbows, admitting to spying on me as if it was not a big deal, and you suddenly want to act all altruistic?! Do you think I’m THAT stupid?!”

“Well, I wouldn’t call you—” She shook her head. “Oh, please, Ghost! You trusted my sister yesterday but can’t trust me? I’m a Laflamme too, you know? Trusty gals!”

“You had to mention that brat…”

“Excuse me?”

Whoops… Don’t push it too much, Alan.

“W-W-What I’m trying to say is that it’s not on me if I can share ‘you know what’ with you just yet! This is something I have to discuss with my partner waiting for me at the Renovatio Caves first!”

“Fine! Have a talk with them first, whatever. But do you seriously intend on traveling around 100 miles on foot? Since you’re backtracking toward a low level zone, you’ll surely encounter many level 10 monsters in your path there. Have you considered that?” She smirked, as she observed his now flustered face. “I knew it. Let me give you a ride there, then. Who knows, I may change your mind on the road.”

“Do I have a choice?” he said with closed teeth, as the tiger licked his cheek.

“You don’t! Blame your own fragility!” She giggled. “Now, before we go, there's a list of guidelines one must follow while flying on mounts that--"

“I know them well: Don’t grope, don’t puke, don’t fall.”

She blinked at him, curious. “It’s obvious you shouldn’t fall, and I’d appreciate it if you could prevent puking on my clothes or my dear Charlotte, but what’s the fun in having a wingman if there can’t be some ‘accidental’ touching while riding? Some air currents could throw you off if you don’t hold—me—tight.”

“HUH?!” Alan’s annoyance quickly turned into bewilderment as he admired her grin.

Is this the same girl that hated my guts just two days ago?

 

***

**

*

*

**

***

 

On the North of Aerola region, there’s an archipelago called Icebard. There, where anyone below Vitality Silver rank freezes instantly, ice creatures roam, blessed with high defense and magic capacity. The perfect place for everyone level 50 and up to train and gather resources.

At the heart of its many islands, there is a monster that even those of level 90 try to avoid: The Raid Boss, Jötnarkungen. A mountain-size, turtle-like golem covered by a thick layer of ice. Swords and arrows do nothing to it, so Pyromancers must be included in any attempted raid to weaken its belly and expose its mineral-made core.

If Users are not killed by its gigantic legs or by its horde of Elemental minions guarding its back, Jötnarkungen’s freezing aura and icy breath get the job done.

“Why would anyone try to challenge such a monster, you ask? Well, because its rewards may not be unique, but are plenty compared to other Raid Bosses!” The female Pyromancer leading the expedition said aloud while being the first to climb over the snowy hill, from where the boss could be seen at a distance. “Living Iron, Arcanium, Diamonite, Gold, you name it! That thing is full of it! Even if you don’t manage to kill it, you can get a good chunk of its natural treasures by blowing up a piece. But we didn’t come here to get scraps, right, guys?!”

“No, we’re here for everything it has!”

“Are we here to kill it, my sisters?!”

“We’re here to exterminate it!”

“Who are we?!”

“The Storm Crusaders!”

“You’re goddamn right!” The mage shouted. “Oh, I can almost see it. A perfect grade Fire Platinum Staff,” she said, salivating before putting on her magic glasses. They allowed her to inspect the creature and reveal its stats.

Jötnarkungen
LEVEL 180
MONSTER CLASSIFICATION ELEMENTAL
BATTLE TYPE ICEBERG
VITALITY PLATINUM E
SPIRIT GOLD B
POTENTIAL PLATINUM D

“We’re ready, Guild Master,” her second in command said, while the small army of women stared attentively at their leader, who smirked.

“Let’s go, everyone! Let’s make that overgrown turtle our bit--”

“Who are we?!” a male voice could be heard from a few yards away.

“The Crusaders of the Storm!”

“Are we going to cleanse this world of that evil creature?!”

“With the force of our sacred might!”

“That’s right, everyone! That tonight, we shall--”

“And you had to be here!” The Pyromancer shouted. “Calvin Shitman!”

“It’s Sherman, you...!” the tall, mustached cleric cried, looking at the woman stomping towards him. “Emily Domingo...”

“Dominguez, you piece of trash! Whatever! Back off, all of you! We came here first!” she yelled, putting her hands on her hips.

“Oh, yeah?” the man chuckled, mirroring her posture. “We have been camping here for over an hour, so practically you’re the ones who got late.”

“What did you say?!” Before continuing to argue, Emily glanced down the hill, where the large majority of her guild members were happily greeting the rival group, full of men. “Don’t get along with the enemy, you ingrates!”

Calvin chuckled, putting a hand on his lips. “Oh, my dear Emily, I pity you. How many times have you attempted to kill the beast?”

“Once!” Emily said proudly, hands on hips. “Unlike you, losers! How many times has it kicked your sorry asses? Three?”

“Four times,” Calvin said aloud, correcting his posture. “And that has provided us with plenty of experience. We are the most suitable candidates to slay the monster today. We have memorized its attack patterns and have adapted to its temperament. So you and your lot step aside, while we demonstrate what perseverance really means.”

“That thing respawns once every 4 months and I won’t let someone else take it down!”

“Oh, so you’re accepting the fact that my guild could kill it, fu fu fu.

Emily the Pyromancer emanated a red aura. “Tell your band of boyfriends to back off, or else!”

“I do not have several boyfriends, ma’am, only one, who I love with all my heart,” Calvin said indignantly, making Emily burst out laughing.

“Always so humorless, you stiff old man!”

“We’re not retiring!” Calvin said, raising his chin to tower over her. “Even though I know that you’re going to inevitably be obliterated, I can’t allow you and your mob to scratch its mineral surface and steal the tiniest of loot from me. I want it all or nothing.”

As Emily snarled at him, the second in command from both guilds approached them, an ashamed expression on their faces.

“Guild Master Emily…” the woman waved at her.

“Paladin Calvin.” The man bowed slightly.

“What is it you two, speak,” Calvin said in a soft voice.

“Don’t tell my Co-leader what to do! What do you want, Carol?”

“We have been talking with the Crusaders of the Storm,” Carol said, half-smiling.

“And we have talked to the ladies from Storm Crusaders…” Tristan informed, saluting.

“And we have come to an agreement that… maybe we could form a team and finally slay the beast?” Carol showed her teeth in an attempt to smile, but her forehead was wrinkling.

“Teaming up with these weirdos?!” Emily cried out, glaring at the other leader.

“Us, gentlemen, uniting with this… woman? Unacceptable! She’s rash and impulsive!”

“And he is too cautious and hesitant!”

Carol and Tristan groaned at the same time.

“Please reconsider, sir! Maybe the reason we haven’t been able to slay the beast is that we’re lacking firepower!” Tristan stated.

“Bloody hell, Emily! Last time we didn’t even get into its second phase! They already have a strategy to divert its attention from us, while we focus on attacking its weak spots!”

Both Emily and Calvin pursed their lips while listening to their most trusted allies. They crossed eyes again, this time in a calmer way.

“If we do this, who will call the shots?” Emily said while checking her nails.

Carol and Tristan smiled at each other, nodding.

“Me, of course!” Calvin said, twirling his mustache. “I’m the one with a strategy, remember?”

“...I could play along for a while, but in case of an emergency, when you finally screw up, I'll take the lead, did you hear me?” 

As they were speaking, something caught Carol’s gaze in the sky. She elbowed Tristan, who looked up too, tilting his head and frowning.

“Trust me, eventualities can and will happen,” Calvin continued. “To diminish any more losses, I must have authority over the two allied forces at all times.”

A ball of light was traversing the sky, gathering the attention of the two groups.

“All I hear is an excuse for bossing me around!” Emily was saying.

“All I hear is a stubborn woman that is too afraid of losing her sense of power, even for a second,” Calvin smirked. “Scared that I could show to you I’m a better leader?”

“Says the one that remains in the back lines, healing!”

“Says the one that rushes into the front lines despite being a mage! You don’t have the Vitality rank to tank hits, you halfwit! Are you trying to copy a certain famous Battlemage, I wonder?”

“Um, Guild Master?” Carol called while looking at the celestial body getting closer to the island.

“What did you say, you dipshit!” Emily cried out.

“Yes, I said it! The way you fight doesn’t match your class!” Calvin shouted. “If your combat skills mirror your commanding aptitudes, then I pity your followers!”

“That thing is coming this way, am I right?” Tristan said to an appalled Carol.

“Y-yes… Brace yourselves, everyone!” she shouted at her guild as Tristan did the same.

“Raise protective shields! Aid the Storm Crusaders who can’t!”

“You know nothing, you stupid Role Player?!” Emily shouted, finally noticing that the surroundings were being bathed by a warm light.

“Get your face out of my sight, you filthy Gamer!” He replied, before getting startled by a sonic boom.

Something crashed against Jötnarkungen’s back, creating a shock wave that blew Emily’s hat away and made Calvin lose his balance.

“What the hell is that?!” he cried, but the sound of an explosion muted him.

When the air currents ceased, the white mages from Crusaders of the Storm canceled their shields and strolled to the top of the hill, accompanied by the women under Emily’s command. 84 people were witnessing what they could only describe as a massacre.

Something was creating constant explosions over the mountain-sized monster, making its limbs shake. Some marksmen with keen eyes could see enormous fragments of crystalized ice getting thrown hundreds of feet away.

“Isn’t his back the hardest part of its body?” Tristan asked before swallowing hard.

“It is,” Carol answered.

“You know…” Emily started saying, while watching the spectacle of destruction 2 miles ahead. “My guild members have been bitching about me not letting men enter our ranks.”

“How curious,” Calvin said, entranced by the explosions of fire. “Not letting women enter our guild has been the major complaint between my followers.” He paused, wincing at the sight of Jötnarkungen’s knees finally faltering. “Do you want to merge our guilds?”

“Look! Whatever that thing is, seems to have entered its shell...” Emily pointed out while adjusting her glasses. “And sure, we should merge. But what should we call ourselves?”

“People have been confusing our guild names so many times that it doesn’t matter which one we use. I would prefer Crusaders of the Storm though.”

“Nah, if we’re going to do this, let’s use Storm Crusaders. It’s shorter,” Emily said, while Jötnarkungen’s body started glowing.

“Storm Crusaders has less impact, woman.”

“Fine! What about Crusaders United?”

Calvin turned to her and reached out his hand. “I like how that sounds.”

Emily shook his hand while Jötnarkungen exploded in a million rocky pieces.

A lustrous, black ore of Living Iron fell close to her feet, making her eyes glitter by the size of it after picking it up. “Storm Crusaders, gather everything you can, now!”

“W-what?!” Calvin cried, at the sight of the dozens of women rushing down the hill. “We’re Crusaders United now, Emily! We’re splitting the bounty fifty-fifty!”

“We’ll make it official once we get back to Iregorn! But for now, finders keepers!”

“That woman! Crusaders of the Storm, charge!”

As Emily slid her feet through the snow, a flying mount passed over her head at a great speed. “Crap! She’s going for the core!” Emily shouted. “Whoever gets it before that gal gets a bonus!”

The flying rider left everyone behind, and in her way, she could see the enormous remains of Jötnarkungen’s corpse. 

“What could possibly do all this?” she whispered to herself, getting closer to the center of the valley, where someone was standing beside the cracked monster’s core. “Just one warrior did this?” She jumped down from her blue pelican and landed 30 feet away from the slayer. “Are you hurt?” she asked the crouching figure, who stood up. “My name’s Brenda, and I’m not here to steal your loot, I swear. I just want to…” She stopped mid sentence after finding out that the monster killer was a blonde/haired girl, whose red cheeks were covered by running tears. “Are you okay?” Brenda asked before hearing others approach.

“Lend me your mount,” she muttered after wiping her face.

“W-what?”

“Are you deaf?!” the blonde cried, glaring at Brenda with her icy-blue eyes. “I killed mine with the crash and I need to get out of here now! You can call your bird back after an hour has passed, okay?!”

“B-but--”

The female warrior did not wait for Brenda to finish the sentence. She jumped up 100 feet in the air and rode the pelican, flying in the opposite direction of the approaching group.

Emily jumped down and rushed to hug the core. “It’s mine, you hear me?! I got it first!” She pointed at Brenda, who kept her gaze on the sky with an astonished expression.

“Woah…” she muttered.

 

Dear new reader, please take a minute to read this.

I finished writing Volume 1 last year, but during the last few months, I've adding new content. 

That's right, the last 7 chapters you just read, weren't part of the original.

Chapters 17 - 24

So, if you keep binge-reading this story, you will inevitably stumble upon some "plot holes". 

 This is because I just finished adding this new content today, October 11, 2022

And characters will not "remember" the Nuke Dragon event.

So please, keep that in mind. 

I will try to update the following chapters soon, but it will take me a few days.

Thanks for reading.

[/news]

13