30 – Rejected #36
823 10 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

unedited banner

 

 

After Marissa Laflamme convinced her Guild Master to come out to the back courtyard, she pulled a Mount Jewel out of her inventory and summoned it without prior explanation. A moment later, an enormous phoenix capable of carrying three people in its back stared back at them. It was truly a Legendary Beast, but not even its magnificent crimson feathers reflecting the sunlight made Astrid Bradford gasp in awe.

"What the hell is this?" Astrid asked, grimacing.

"This is what you asked Marissa to retrieve, right?" Helen interjected. "Or could it be that our little croaky child here acted on her own? Hu-hu-hu."

"Hey, Helen, ferme ta gueule !” Marissa snarled at the lanky, black-haired woman, who smirked back.

“And I don’t know what that means! I only heard: ‘croak, croak’.”

“It means ‘shut the F-up’! I never asked for your help, okay?! That’s the best I could get!”

Astrid turned to her, perplexed. "Wait, let me get this straight. Did you steal this from Jason? Is that what this is all about?"

"Well, yes…” Marisa replied, shrugging, unable to look her in the eye. “It was the only way to recover the majority of the gold he stole…”

"Did you convince him to buy this?” Astrid put both hands on her hips and gave her a funny look. “Wow, Marissa, you've impressed me! I didn't know you had it in you. This was a fantastic idea!"

Marissa blushed instantly and raised her chin proudly. "O-of course it was! I'm always full of good ideas!"

"Although if I hadn't been present, your genius plan would have failed miserably." Helen giggled, leaving Marissa with her mouth ajar.

"Terrific job, regardless,” Astrid said, turning back to admire the flying beast. “How much did it cost?"

"8 million. This was intended to be a present for Kathleen."

Astrid opened her eyes wide before a malicious grin formed on her lips. “Oh, I love this even more.”

Helen exhaled loudly, folding her arms. "Yeah, yeah, yeah. That little dose of ‘revenge dopamine’ is invaluable and all, but we still need to recover some of the money. So the question is, can we sell this, Guild Master?”

“I have two people in mind who would not bat an eye spending that much gold,” Astrid replied while caressing the Mount’s shiny feathers. “But they’d do it as a favor for me, meaning I’d have to kiss some asses. In the meantime, give the Mount to Oscar. He’s in charge of the Guild’s Vault for now. And Marissa...” Astrid got close to her and grabbed her shoulder. “I’m glad that you stayed.”

“Guild Master.” Tamara approached the group and bowed slightly. “The aspirants are here.”

“We’ll talk later,” Astrid said, walking away.

“Sure,” Marissa whispered as a smirking Helen sneaked behind her and hugged her neck.

“Aww! It seems that you’ve regained our boss’ trust! So it was all worth it in the end, huh?” Helen then got closer to her ear. “But I wonder, how much gold did you sacrifice to get this result?”

“I wasn’t holding much,” Marissa shrugged. “Besides, I had fun. I finally fought William!”

“Who kicked your sorry ass.” Helen giggled and spanked her.

“S-Shut up!”

 

***

**

Astrid sighed in relief and smirked at the sight of a group of close to thirty people waiting in the front yard. It’s a good thing that my fame holds to this day. Not bad for something we announced just yesterday.

“Welcome, everyone, and thank you for coming!” she shouted. “I presume you're all here wishing to join Shooting Stars. In that case, we’ll hold some preliminary tests where…”

“Excuse me! Sorry to interrupt you, oh, powerful Golden Comet,” a lanky guy wearing mage robes shouted. “But before you continue, maybe you could tell us what the hell happened here?” The man pointed at the half-destroyed building inside the Headquarters’ grounds.

People around Astrid frowned at his cockiness, while others looked at her, intrigued.

“What do you mean?” Astrid asked patiently.

“Well, Shooting Stars is the guild that protects this city, isn’t it? But according to the reports, not all of its members helped repel yesterday’s menace. Speaking of the announcement that brought us here, it doesn’t even state how many open positions are available. 10? 20, 50? Should we be worried? Does this speak about your leadership skills?"

Astrid stared at him with a serene expression on her face before snickering. "Guys! You know about me, right? I’m sure you’ve watched my Battle Streams." She gazed at them, finding nodding heads and looks of approval. "Then you know that I have zero tolerance for bullshit. So! Do you want to join me, or do you want to listen to this arsehole all day?!” The crowd cheered at her, and those closest to the failed instigator pushed him out of sight. “Very well, then! My assistant will give you the details for the first test!”

As Tamara took a step forward and announced the selection procedure, Astrid got a message notification.

* From Alan Warden. *

Huh?!

She opened it immediately and read: 

‘Thank you for writing to me almost daily. I’ve read all of your adventures here in The Novus, and I’m glad to know that you’ve enjoyed a very fulfilling life, as a Guild Master, and as a fellow adventurer. Keep living your life to your fullest, and never forget to have fun!’

W-What do you mean by adventures?!

Astrid pondered about it for a couple of seconds before rushingly opening her Social Tab. Although she had deleted Alan from her friend list, which I regret immensely, her old open chat was still available. All the messages she had sent to him for over a year and a half had the ‘Read’ mark on them.

She half-gasped, almost out of breath, before screaming out loud. “Kyaaaaaaah!”

Everyone present turned to her, some startled or amused.

“Hey.” A man in the crowd elbowed his friend. “I’ve been watching most of her Streams, and I didn’t know she could sound like that… You know what I mean?”

“Girly?” His friend chuckled. “It sounded cute, actually. It makes me want to really join this guild.”

“What is it, Guild Master?” Tamara asked, alarmed.

“He read them all!”

“Who read them all? Wait, read what?”

“I’d forgotten all about those messages! Oh, my—!” As she was finishing her sentence, a late candidate landed her mount a few feet away from the crowd. Astrid stared at the blue pelican for a second before screaming again. “KYAAAAAAAH”

“What’s happening here?” Marissa dashed to her boss’ side, weapon in hand. “Are you hurt, Astrid?!”

Helen also joined them, calmly strolling. “I haven’t heard that cry in a while...”

“Change of plans, everyone!” Astrid announced. “You’ll all be sparring against me! I’ll measure your value myself! And you!” She pointed at the startled newcomer. “You’ll be the first, for arriving late! You’ll face me while I’m full of energy. Come to the backyard, NOW!”

The crowd quickly shared whispers, watching the pelican’s owner rush to keep up with Astrid’s pace. 

“Hi, Shooting Star’s Guild Master!” the young woman said joyfully. “I’m Brenda Hannes, and I—”

“I remember you,” Astrid interrupted, gritting her teeth. “Or better say, I remember your bloody bird. What are you doing here? You have your mount back, right? Or are you looking for compensation?”

The young woman, with auburn hair tied into a side ponytail, and green eyes was at a loss of words. “N-No! I’m here for the same reason as everyone else. I’m looking to join your guild!”

“Why?” Astrid halted to confront her. “Are you here to ransom me? So you can keep quiet about what you saw?!”

The startled Brenda raised her palms. “I-I think there’s a misunderstanding here!”

“Yeah, right,” Astrid muttered before throwing a punch. Brenda managed to dodge it, jumping back.

“W-Wait!” Brenda cried. “I’m telling you the truth! I’m just here to apply!”

“And I said that I’ll be testing your worth!” Astrid shouted, jumping over her.

The resulting stomp made the ground tremble and created a 10-feet wide hole. Brenda looked at it from a safe distance, knowing she could have died there. “All right, I’ll treat this as a test, then! But shouldn’t we equip ourselves first?” she asked, sweating cold.

“You’re right. Go ahead and put on your best gear,” Astrid said, emanating a red aura. “Or you won’t stand a chance.”

“Dammit, how did it come to this?” Brenda muttered as she manipulated her User Interface. In an instant, a set of armor materialized over her body. She then blinked, astonished, looking at Astrid changing into regular spandex workout clothes. “Aren’t you going to…?”

“How unlucky you are,” Astrid said, dashing and getting in front of Brenda in a second. “Because I’m in a very bad mood right now.” Astrid threw a punch, which Brenda managed to block. “Oh… Interesting. Where is your weapon?”

“T-These are my weapons,” Brenda said with closed teeth, using all of her strength to push Astrid back in vain.

These gauntlets? Astrid thought, examining them up close. There’s something strange about them… No… It’s her. A strange energy is flowing through her palms.

Astrid grabbed the applicant by the back of her neck and attempted a knee strike to the stomach, but Brenda blocked again using both hands. Astrid then head-butted her, making Brenda retreat. The bar displaying her HP got cut in half.

I knew it. Her Vitality is not that high, and yet, something is strange about this gal, Astrid thought, giving Brenda precious seconds to recover.

“If you’re trying to impress me, you’re doing a terrible job,” Astrid teased. “Come on! Give me everything you have!”

Brenda stared at her, bleeding from her forehead. “I can’t! At least not yet!”

“A Conditional Skill, huh? How about this, then?” Astrid said in a soft voice, as she gathered mana into her fist.

Brenda opened her eyes wide and stretched out her hands forward.

She’s not casting.

“You’re fully prepared to receive this, huh?!” Astrid continued, laughing out loud. “I won’t hold back then! Dragonfist!”

A pillar of fire, taking the shape of a dragon’s head engulfed Brenda’s entire body, and continued traveling towards the Headquarters outer fence. The fiery attack was then stopped by a force shield, preventing it from getting to the street.

You really shouldn’t have come here, Astrid thought, turning back. 

“What was that all about?!” Tamara cried, dashing to her side.

“Oh, Tammie, were you watching?”

“That was totally excessive! Even for you!”

“We need the best of the best, don’t we?” Astrid grimaced, looking away. “Her level was 79, so she should have known what she was coming to when applying for a spot here.”

“Astrid…” Tamara whispered, watching the still-lit flames in her leader’s eyes.

“Whatever. Bring the next one.”

“I can keep going!” a voice cried behind them.

Turning back, Astrid found a still-standing Brenda. Although her entire body fumed and half of her armor had been burned to ashes, she still had the energy to smirk.

Even Tamara tilted her head, frowning. “How did she…?”

“Did you use a Unique Talent?” Astrid asked aloud.

“Y-Yes… I can absorb any elemental magic coming my way, or m-mitigate any physical attack… As long as I’m on my guard, of course...” Brenda replied, sounding exhausted. “I-I can keep fighting! D-Don’t kick me out just yet!”

“The simple fact that she withstood that it’s impressive, Astrid,” Tamara whispered to her boss, who strolled forward.

“Can you absorb ANY elemental magic?” Astrid asked.

“Any element… Although I don’t have any experience fighting Light and Dark—”

“You’re in,” Astrid interrupted, reaching out a hand.

The girl’s eyes shone like jewels. “Seriously?! Oh, man! Thank you, Guild—”

“On one condition,” Astrid added in a deep voice, pulling her closer to her. Their eyes were inches away. “Have we met before?”

“Y-yes… Back in—”

“WRONG. This is the first time we speak to each other, got it? I’ve never been to Icebard, and you never lent me your Mount. Understood?”

“Y-yes, Guild Master...”

“Sorry about your armor. We’ll provide you with a new one later, okay?” Astrid said while studying her face. “Why do you want to join us, anyway? You were already in a guild."

“That’s because…” Brenda began shyly, before slapping her own cheeks and kneeling in a knightly fashion. “You’re the strongest warrior I’ve ever seen! And this combat practice has proven it! I’ll follow you to the deepest corners of hell if you ask me to!”

Astrid narrowed her eyes on her. “...Okay?”

“Should I sign a contract expressing what I just said?”

“L-Later… Now, outta my way! I have others to test! Tamara, tell the rest to save in the Training Room. I may end up killing a lot of them.”

“Yes, Guild Master!” Tamara saluted, before smiling at Brenda. “Welcome to Shooting Stars.”

“T-Thanks! I’ll do my best!” Brenda beamed, watching them go. She could scream with excitement right there and then, but her shoulders dropped. “T-That was close. Why didn’t the Guild Master let me save first like the others? But it’s okay! What’s important it’s that I entered! Yay, me!”

“Yay, you. Should we celebrate?” a voice whispered in Brenda’s ear, jolting her.

“W-Who’s there?!” Brenda cried, immediately adopting a fighting stance, but the honey-blonde girl in front of her only snickered.

“I heard all about it. You just got in, right?” Marissa said, inspecting Brenda from head to toes. “Should I show you around?”

“Does that mean that you’re my superior?” Brenda gasped, and quickly saluted. “Pardon me, ma’am! I’m Brenda Hannes, nice to meet you! May I have your name?”

“I’m Marissa Laflamme. And I’ll be in charge of training the rookies, so it’ll be in your best interest to listen to whatever I have to say, got it?”

“Understood, Ms. Laflamme. I’ll be at your charge.”

Not even a couple of seconds passed before Marissa burst on laughing, making Brenda frown. “Sorry! I couldn’t resist pulling up your leg! It’s just that you’re too formal! But it’s true what I said about training the rookies.” Grinning, Marissa grabbed Brenda’s hand. “Follow me. Are you hungry? Our NPCs prepare the best chocolate muffins in all The Novus. They’re to die for, and a good remedy for a broken heart.”

Brenda stopped in her tracks. “What do you mean by that?”

“You just got rejected and you didn’t even notice,” Marissa replied, smirking. “What you just did right now? About swearing your allegiance to the Golden Comet? Bullshit. You came here because you fancy Astrid. Admit it.”

Brenda’s mood darkened in a second. And with a quick wrist movement, got rid of Marissa’s hold. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Unfazed, Marissa shrugged it off immediately. “Aww, don't give me those puppy eyes. You're too cute to look that gloomy!”

“And I’d appreciate it if you stop teasing me.”

“Why? I’m just telling the truth.”

“Stop it, please!”

A few feet away from them, a concealed Helen snickered. “So you got a new pet, huh?”

10