67 – [Dylak’s Revenge – Part 10] After the nightmare
248 5 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

unedited banner

 

 

“Yes… Take that, you redhead meanie…” Clara muttered, eyes closed, a smiling, drunk expression on her face. “Feel the power of Miss Bing Baaaang…”

“Did you use Slumbermare on her?” the Victorian-dressed girl asked the only Count Dylak Duplicate that survived a fight against Clara’s Imps.

“That was the only way to shut her up,” Count Dylak said as if he had survived a nightmare scenario. He looked down at her small master and bowed slightly. “What do we do with this User?”

“Bring her inside and restrain her for the time being. Alan Warden has been making a lot of progress, and I don’t want this woman to interrupt him.”

“Yes, Master.”

Count Dylak carried the muttering Clara over his shoulder and left the living room. The girl tossed her platinum hair back and immediately frowned. Why did I do that? She strolled towards the only mirror in that room and studied her face. She was developing mannerisms that Viola had never programmed in her.

Considering the fact that I’ve never had a body before.

She opened her System Interface and displayed seven windows showing security footage of every single Phantom Seekers member from the moment they entered the Safe Zone.

I’m sure I copied this gesture from one of the female Users. She got rid of the three windows showing the NPCs and the one featuring Alan, and concentrated on the other three. There. She paused the video, showing a scene from 85 minutes ago, when Amelia tossed her hair back. What makes this female different from the other two?

She did not need to see more of Clara’s footage, so she reviewed Ashley's and Amelia’s footage exclusively. Disregarding their difference in power and fighting style, the two of them almost moved with the same femininity. Although this User, Ashley Yates, walks in the same manner as an NPC. But in the case of Amelia Laflamme…

The girl reviewed every second of Amelia’s footage, with the same fascination a child admires a piece of art for the first time.

 

* * *

 

Bella followed the road that would lead her to one of Count Dylak’s Mansions, holding Sloochie in her arms. If a User could see her, they would comment that she ran in a very unconventional, awkward way. Although she swung her legs wide, her back and neck remained in a rigid, straight position. Eyes on the road, with an emotionless expression on her face. 

From time to time, Sloochie would hum one of the many songs he learned from Amelia, making Bella smile for some unknown reason she was not programmed for.

“Bella,” a feminine voice called from the forest. Anastasia then stepped out of the shade of trees to run alongside her. She moved her legs in quick succession, leaning her spine forward.

“Sister Anastasia!” Bella beamed, and Sloochie also greeted her by squeaking.

“You shouldn’t use the roads,” Anastasia said. “An enemy could spot you, and it makes you an easier target.”

“But the amount of enemies has diminished, and this is the fastest path towards the mansion. Did you also receive Fabio’s message, Sister Anastasia?”

“Yes. But why are you calling me that?” Anastasia asked in a dry tone. “There is nothing in our System info dictating that we are family.”

“Master Amelia told me that we’re sisters, so I’m just following her statement,” Bella said as an innocent child would. A fake virtual child.

“Understood. You can continue addressing me as such. I will ask Master Alan if it’s okay to call you sister, too.”

“Ku! Kuuu-kuku-kyuh!” Sloochie cried, getting their attention. Translation: “Call yourselves sisters if that is what you really want. You don’t have to ask.”

“Sorry, Sloochie. But if Master Alan tells me that I shouldn’t, I won’t.”

“That is correct. If Master Amelia tells me to stop calling her sister, I’ll do it immediately.”

“Kuuuh…” Sloochie intoned, turning its body disinflated.

“Have you contacted Master Amelia yet?” Anastasia asked.

“Yes, I’ve tried, but she doesn’t respond,” Bella replied. “She must be inside one of the dungeons. Have you contacted Ashley yet?”

“Yes. She will come as soon as she can.” Both remained silent for a moment, while their gazes were locked on the building in the distance. “There is something I don’t understand about Ashley Yates.”

“What is it, Sister Anastasia?”

“Tonight, I heard her saying that she is also an AI. But she is clearly a User. The system says so.”

“Did she say that? Sorry, but I didn’t listen. I was busy fixing dinner.”

“It doesn’t concern us, anyway. The System recognizes her as a User, and we must treat her as one.”

“That is correct, Sister.” Bella giggled.

“We are getting close. If the situation becomes dangerous, protect Sloochie at all cost.”

“I will. Don’t worry.”

From the entrance, two slim silhouettes stepped out, wearing black and white long dresses. One had a long violet-colored ponytail, maintaining a severe expression. 

Although they were designed to look like twins, the other sister had a more juvenile appearance and short purple hair.

“We cannot allow you to enter,” Eliza, the pony-tailed maid, said. “Count Dylak’s orders.”

“Mister Alan is currently under training, so you must not interfere,” Eliora, the younger sister, said.

“Sister Anastasia?” Bella called, tilting her head. “They’re the same Dungeon NPCs we fought four hours ago, but if I remember correctly, their level was ‘9’. Am I misremembering it? 

“No, Bella. You are correct,” Anastasia said, staring at the number 15 above their heads. “They have leveled up in this short period of time.”

“Don’t call us ‘Dungeon NPCs’,” Eliora said, frowning. “We are NUs now. Just like that Slime you’re carrying.” She squinted. “Why does the System say that it belongs to a User? So strange.”

“I’ve heard that term before, while you were chatting with Master Alan,” Anastasia said, taking one step forward. “‘Non User’. It means that you have evolved, correct? But what does that mean?”

“I don’t think you should waste your time explaining it to NPCs like them,” Housemaid Eliza said, but her voice and the color of her eyes had changed. This time she was talking in a mocking, soft voice, while her gaze shined yellow. “Their intellect is limited by what the Novus provides them. Our upgrade comes from outside this controlled environment, so they would never comprehend it.”

“Outside The Novus?” Bella asked, pressing Sloochie against her chest. “Sister Anastasia, I don’t understand what she’s saying…”

“It means that you can no longer be compared with us. We have changed into a completely different kind.” The entity controlling Eliza’s body tossed her hair behind her back and snickered. “Get rid of them so they don’t interfere. Leave the NU slime alive.”

“Yes, Master,” the two maids said at the same time, readying their weapons. A black aura showed that the ‘Creature of the Night’ boost was active.

“Kyuh!” Sloochie cried, jumping down from Bella’s arms. “Kuku-ku!” Translation: “If they won’t attack me, fight without worrying about me!”

“Alright, Sloochie. Keep your distance, then, plea--” Bella was saying, while Housemaid Eliza dashed forward, shortening the distance in a second, ready to slice her throat, but Anastasia blocked the attack. “Oh, my!” Bella exclaimed, although her face did not reflect concern.

“Focus, Bella,” Anastasia said, trying to bash the enemy with her shield, but Eliza jumped back. Anastasia then reached out her hand to her side, made the sword turn into pixels, and materialized a rifle in its place instead. She shot once, but Eliza reflected the bullet with her blade.

Meanwhile, Eliora had finished casting: “Previous Master’s servants, awake from your slumber and help us kill our enemies! Major Dark Conjure, Call of the Dead!”

From the ground, a combination of dozens of hands and heads sprouted, and in a matter of seconds, the once desolated front yard was now hosting a group of twenty zombie-themed NPCs. With purple skin, showing various degrees of decomposition. Only a couple having an exposed skull for a face.

Any other User would have sweated nervously at the sight of such a menace, but the two female NPCs faced the threat without flinching, akin to the confidence Max-Levelers are known for.

Anastasia swapped the rifle for her sword again, while casting: “Minor Fire Boost, Valor.” The muscles on her body swollen for an instant before returning to normal, as she dashed forward, bashing an undead with her shield and decapitating a second with the sword.

Bella also cast, without emotionless: “Minor Fire Crafting, Flare.” She launched the small ball of fire forward, incinerating the closest undead.

Anastasia called Bella through Party Chat: “They will try to use the undead army as a distraction to attack us,” she said after blocking what seemed like a spear made of a black substance. “Housemaid Eliora is targeting me.”

“Roger that,” Bella replied privately. “That means that Housemaid Eliza is waiting for an opportunity.”

Bella manifested another magic circle out of her hand, preparing another fire attack, as a hidden Eliza jumped from behind an undead. The blade in her hand gleamed dangerously. “Here she is,” Bella communicated, canceling the spell immediately, for she was pretending. She pulled out her pump shotgun from under her knee-height skirt and shot Eliza in the chest at point-blank, launching her back.

Eliza lost 10% of her health, got rid of her bewilderment, and disappeared into the undead army again.

“They’ve been programmed to fight as a team, but we can do the same if we communicate like this,” Bella said telepathically, ten times faster than she would normally speak to a human. A hurried way of speaking that only another NPC would catch.

“Agreed,” Anastasia replied while thrusting her sword into another undead. “We’ll cover each other’s backs.”

 

* * *

 

Thanks to Fabio, the impossible task of fighting two Dungeon Bosses at the same time turned into ‘Easy Mode’. 

Although Housekeeper Bilmur had increased his strength thanks to one of his Passive Skills, he could not hit Fabio once.

The male NPC dodged with ease, leaving walls and furniture smashed in their path, and counterattacked with electric-charged punches. It took five hits and a kick to the head to kill the enraged Bilmur.

Meanwhile, Alan, who had fallen into another Slumbermare illusion, managed to kill Butler Marick thanks to the poison and the Chef Knife’s bleed-out status effect that gradually drained the boss’ health.

Alan fell to his knees, panting, watching the butler's body disappear into pixels. It seems that if an NPC uses Slumbermare, it acts differently. It felt like falling into a very lucid dream… Or nightmare…

“Are you okay, Master Alan?” Fabio asked, reaching out a hand to him.

Alan reached out too to grab Fabio’s wolf ears, checking if they were ‘real’. He shook his head, chuckling. Slumbermare, eh… Officially, the most annoying spell in this Virtual Reality… I can’t imagine something worse than it.

“Thanks, Fabio. Is Bilmur dead?”

“Eliminated, yes. I’ve also shared our current location with Anastasia and Bella.”

“Can you communicate with them? Why? I’ve tried many times, but my User Interface says ‘No Signal’.”

“Dungeons are designed this way, Master Alan,” Fabio responded while adjusting the collar of his shirt. “Not being able to communicate while in battle creates a feeling of being stranded. It fortifies your mind and will to fight and keep going.”

Alan stared at the empty spot where Marick’s body was a moment ago. “I suppose… yes. You can communicate because you’re NPCs, right?”

“That is correct, Guild Master. I can only communicate with other allied NPCs, but Anastasia and Bella will be able to send a message to the rest of the guild.”

“Great!” Alan beamed, putting his hands on his hips. “You know? I was against the idea of having you around, but you have shown to be very reliable.”

“I don’t deserve such kind words, sir. By the way, I’ve received a reply from Anastasia just now. They’re currently outside this mansion, but Housemaid Eliza and Eliora are preventing them from entering.”

“Oh, they’re here already? Neat!” Alan crossed his arms, pondering. “Those are wonderful news, indeed. If they’re fighting the twins, we could take on the Final Boss then. So, what do you say? Can you give me a hand, even though you’re Clara’s NPC?”

Fabio closed his eyes and made a modest bow. “Although I’m Clara Dominguez’s loyal servant, we’re both part of Phantom seekers, so I’ll do my best to be of service to you, Guild Master.”

It’s really weird hearing this from a Marco look-alike… Especially after that freaking nightmare.

I LOVE IT!

“Let me see what artifacts these bosses dropped first, okay? Before going upstairs.”

Alan glanced at the silver jewel-encrusted bracelet on his right wrist before taking a step. Just wait for me a little longer…

 

* * *

 

Fabio found Alan’s location. Good. But it will not matter if we cannot escape from this place.

Ashley reached the end of the forest, finding another mansion. On her way there, she noticed that the trees and the grass were dead; the ground looked dry, and the rocks nearby turned into sand if she touched them.

As if this mansion was absorbing the life of the area. But how could it? All of this vegetation is a simulation. Maybe my deduction is groundless.

She looked at her feet. After all, I do not know what real life looks or feels like. I’m just following Ashley Yates’ senses, which are telling me to turn around. That means I’m in the place I need to be.

Instead of going straight to the entrance, she circled the building, where the source of her uncertainty lied. There, she found a back garden, filled with leafy trees and green bushes. Nothing like the desolated land she crossed to get there.

Inside a fountain filled with a deep red liquid, she found a pale silhouette, being illuminated by the moonlight. He was looking up, entranced by the night sky, before slowly turning his gaze to face the intruder. A lost in thought expression on his face.

One of Count Dylak’s duplicates, most likely, Ashley thought, preparing her bow. But why is he level 40?

 

 

Announcement
2