71 – [Dylak’s Revenge – Part 14] The Stupid Lookalike
118 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

unedited banner

 

 

 

“Alright, then. Let’s end this…” Amelia whispered to herself, as she calmly landed in front of the correct mansion. She put her hands inside her jacket’s pockets and looked at the burned ground and a barrier of ice melting away.

Our NPCs’ work, probably. But that doesn’t explain why the trees around this area look dead.

Amelia got close to one and caressed its gray bark. The tree turned into ashes immediately.

No, it’s not only this place. While I was flying, I noticed that the whole domain has been gradually decaying. Is this programmed to happen as the bosses are being eliminated? As some sort of ‘the end is near’ ambience?

Whatever, Amelia sighed, tossing her hair behind her shoulder. The most important thing right now is planning my grand entrance.

She grinned ear to ear. Something she would not do in front of others.

Should I crash the rooftop, like a life-saving angel? Or should I hide somewhere nearby and wait for the last second to save his ass? I could even say: ‘Sorry for being late’, or, ‘I arrived just in time, Alan!’.

She giggled while embracing herself.

I can only imagine his expression when his hot, awesome, extremely beautiful and powerful co-leader enters the scene and saves the day! I should have asked Clara to lend me her camera. Hu-hu-hu.

“Speaking of the devil,” she whispered, getting a Party Chat request notification.

“Clara? Have you received the news? Tell me you’re nearby, because I need your…”

“Amelia! Where are you?!”

“I’m about to enter the mansion Alan is in. I’m going to kick that Dylak’s butt so hard than…”

“No, no, no! Do NOT help him!”

“What?” Amelia intoned angrily, grimacing.

“Listen, you’re the only one that can one-shot the boss, and the only one that Unus Town needs right now!”

“What are you talking abo--?”

“There is a group of Dylak Duplicates marching towards New Unus Town as we speak! I just got rid of a level 30 duplicate, so we must assume that those duplicates will be of the same level or even higher!”

A bunch of level thirty-something dungeon bosses marching towards the Beginner’s Town?

Through Amelia’s mind flashed the faces of her neighbors, of the slime-folk, of the guilders helping rebuild their homes.

“Understood,” Amelia replied. “It will take me a minute to kill the real Dy--”

“Don’t do that either. The dungeon will reset!”

Amelia shut her eyes. 

Her voice can be very annoying sometimes…

“How do you know all this, anyway?”

“I may have met the—ahem—’person’ responsible for this mess…”

“That you what?!”

“I have a plan, trust me! In the meantime, just help me protect Unus, please! You’re the only one capable of getting there fast and pulling it off!”

Amelia glanced at the mansion in front of her and bit her lower lip. Leave the security of my Guild Master in the hands of this weirdo?

She formed fists, before turning around and crafting fire wings. “Fine. Leave it to me.”

Amelia flew towards the area from where they had entered and crossed the force field safely.

Very well, Clara. Show me how dependable you are.

She hopped on her flying tiger as soon as it materialized and took flight at full speed.

Alan Warden is the man that will save this spaceship from future damnation, so I expect his companions to be worthy of such a monumental task.

Prove that you’re worthy of being a member of Phantom Seekers, then, Clara Dominguez…

 

* * *

 

Meanwhile, the Weakest Hero of the People, was running away from the Boss Chambers.

“Oh, come on! Why is he level 40?!” Alan cried while going down the stairs in a hurry. “He should be level 15, right?! Or am I misremembering it?”

“No, you’re correct, Guild Master,” Fabio replied, while casting Zap towards their pursuer. “He should have leveled up during this time.”

“25 levels in a matter of hours?! Yeah, right! I bet the system is cheating on me!”

And worst of all, I can’t let this Boss kill me. Although I can respawn, I’m not sure if it will be the same for Fabio. If he can’t revive, I’ll lose my best fighting chance!

“Can you hear me through Party Chat, Fabio?”

“Loud and clear, Guild Master.”

“Can’t you leave a trap or something? Something to distract him while I hide.”

“Yes, I can.”

Fabio quietly cast: “Minor Electric Crafting, Zap Mine.” He imbued the floor with mana and continued running towards the left aisle of the first floor. In a couple of seconds, they could hear Dylak getting incapacitated for a moment. “It’s done, but he’ll recover in a matter of seconds.”

“Fine. Let’s use this corridor. His movements will be restricted here.” Alan quickly entered a room, and hid inside a closet where he cast: Mechanic-Class Active Skill, Advanced Puppet Master.”

“Fabio has accepted the connection, Alan,” Aaron informed, materializing on his shoulder, at the same time a neon virtual keyboard and mouse illuminated the closet’s interior. When Alan put on his goggles, he could see what Fabio was witnessing.

Count Dylak was walking down the corridor, cautiously. “Where is Alan Warden, NPC?”

“I’m buying him time so he can escape,” Alan spoke through Fabio.

“Ridiculous,” Dylak sneered. “He can’t escape from the mansion. He is surely…”

“Aaron,” Alan called, while Dylak spoke to Fabio. “Give me a complete list of Fabio’s skills.”

“Here it is.”

 

ACTIVE SKILLS

 

MASTERY

ELEMENT

CATEGORY

SKILL

 

Minor

Electric

Crafting

Zap

Minor

Electric

Crafting

Zap Mine

Medium

Electric

Style

Volt Punch

PASSIVE SKILLS

 

COMBAT BATTERY

An electric aura that surrounds the user and becomes more powerful as time goes on. Increases the speed of the user, and wears down the enemy overtime. 

ELECTRIC INFUSED ATTACKS

(Provided by ELECTRIC KNUCKLES)

Only applicable while equipping the item. 

Requires mana.

 

“He doesn’t have the Overcharge skill like Bella?”

“No, Alan. Although the Combat Battery skill could be a close approximation if Fabio can generate enough electric charge to activate it.”

“Neat. It’s good to see that you can read all this information and assimilate it quickly. By the way, I don’t have to learn how to cast these skills, right?”

“Correct. Fabio will automatically cast them for you. Do you want me to create keyboard shortcuts for every one of his Active Skills?”

“Yes…”

Alan exhaled, and made Fabio form fists, as Dylak finished talking:

“So, if you understand, get out of my way, you NPC…”

“You keep talking as if being an NPC made me inferior,” Alan talked through Fabio, making Dylak frown. “But is having a little self-consciousness really a benefit? This ego of yours makes you more human-like. I thought NUs were supposed to be the next evolution of AIs. Aren’t you failing your creator’s expectations?”

“What do you know about what being unique is like?!” Count Dylak shouted, emanating a dark aura. “You obey your master’s orders without question and parrot what they have programmed into you! You don’t have a personality. YOU HAVE NOTHING!”

“Aaron, can you scan Dylak’s status?”

“Sorry, but no. His level is too high for us to scan. I could make an estimation though, but only after analyzing his combat capabilities. Are you afraid that Fabio won’t stand a chance?”

“Kinda… Wait, no, I’m used to this. In games, the boss is always stronger than the player, you know?”

“Are those games some kind of torture, Alan?”

“Minor Electric Crafting, Zap!” Alan commanded, and Fabio sent forward an electrical discharge out of his hand. Dylak received the entirety of the spell, yet continued advancing.

“Notice:” Aaron started saying, “Since the Zap spell is already channeled, you can continue casting it repeatedly, as long as Fabio has mana.”

“Thanks, pal.”

“Zap!” repeated Fabio, casting another attack. Dylak also absorbed it, but this time it looked annoyed.

“Don’t stop, Fabio!”

“Zap! Zap! Zap!” Fabio cast, using his left hand too.

The indiscriminate effort to hurt Count Dylak burned part of his pale skin and the paper wall around him.

 

NOTICE: Boss’ HP at 93%.

 

The Boss gritted his teeth while transforming his black fingernails into claws. “Enough!” he cried, making a wide swipe with his right hand.

Alan commanded Fabio to crouch, as the slicing attack cut the walls with ease.

“What the hell was that?!”

Even the closet Alan was hiding in had been sliced. Alan looked up, looking at the light coming from a horizontal cut in the wall.

“That slicing attack has a 30-feet reach,” Aaron informed. “That categorizes Dylak’s Vitality to at least Silver E rank.”

Alan glanced at Fabio’s info. Vitality Bronze A…

“Hardcore mode, then, huh?”

While still crouching, Alan made Fabio cast: “Minor Electric Crafting, Zap Mine.”

It only took that brief moment for Dylak to close the distance and kick Fabio in the chin. The NPC was sent flying 20 feet away.

 

MASSIVE DAMAGE!

WARNING: Minion’s health at 63%

 

Yes… I could have dodged it, but…

“You’re done for!” Dylak shouted, dashing forward, but the electric trap paralyzed him in his place.

“Fabio, begin channeling, Volt Punch!”

“Electric Style,” Fabio was casting, while standing up. His right fist began glowing intensely as he got closer.

“What’s the minimum charging time for this to be effective?”

“It has already surpassed the minimum amount, Guild Master.”

“Continue, then. Let’s hit him until the very last second!”

Holding his position, Fabio took a fighting stance, while both NPC and Puppeteer watched Dylak gradually regaining control of his body.

“You fool! I know what is going on now! You’re controlling this minion, don’t you, Alan Warden?!”

“I know this fighting method bothers you,” Fabio began saying, smirking, “but bad habits never die. Volt Punch!”

Fabio’s fist connected against Dylak’s stomach, and the equivalent power of 20 Zap spells illuminated the entirety of that floor. Even the place Alan was hiding in trembled.

 

NOTICE: Boss’ HP at 72%.

 

“At least is something,” Alan said, pressing the key that would make Fabio retreat, but nothing happened.

Dylak had grabbed the NPC by the shoulders while opening his jaw wide. Alan could see through his minion’s eyes a row of knife-like teeth.

“Give me your life!” Dylak bit Fabio in the neck and began making sucking noises, but after a couple of seconds, the boss frowned. “What is this?”

“I suppose that you’re not used to fighting other NPCs, right?” Fabio said, grabbing Dylak’s forearms. “You can’t suck blood from a minion classified as a robot.”

“Fabio, use Electric Crafting! Don’t channel it!”

“Understood.”

Through his hands, Fabio released an unrefined, out of control electric discharge, making Dylak contort in pain. Both adversaries got locked, unable to move.

“This is draining Fabio’s mana pool at rapid speed, Alan,” Aaron informed.

“Doesn’t matter! We must damage him as much as possible!”

 

NOTICE: Boss’ HP at 59%.

 

While wailing, Dylak’s body grew and gained muscle mass. His skin turned purple, and his eyes glowed crimson.

 

WARNING: Count Dylak is entering his Second Phase.

 

“Does he have that?! Of course he has!”

 

NOTICE: Boss’ HP at 64%.

 

“Wait, hold on! Is he healing himself?!”

“No, Alan. His HP pool is increasing!”

“I’m going to find you, Alan Warden!” Dylak shouted in a deeper tone of voice. He lifted Fabio off the ground and crashed him against the ceiling, leaving him there, hanging up from his neck. “Stop these cheap tactics, User! You need to train alone!”

From inside the closet, Alan could hear the boss taking down walls and doors.

“Alan, we have to get out of here,” Aaron said. 

“How?! I can’t make a hole through the floor like him!”

There was a moment of silence that lasted a few seconds until Dylak tore down the door’s closet as if it was made of cardboard. “Found you… You reek of blood.”

Although Alan was sure that the dungeon would revive him, he could not get rid of his fear.

This is going to hurt…

Dylak stretched out his claw, ready to grab Alan by the head and feed from him, but something pushed the boss aside.

From Alan’s perspective, he could only distinguish a trail of lightning saving him.

“Fabio!”

Alan glanced at the NPC’s status.

He’s holding at the last 15% of his HP!

“Let’s go, Alan. His Combat Battery passive skill is active. It’ll be better if you let him fight automatically.”

Alan stepped out of the closet, looking at the NPC dodging and moving at triple his normal speed, while maintaining a boxing stance.

“I can’t go yet. If we get too far away, Fabio won’t receive your Extended Warranty boost aura…”

“Okay, then.”

Alan prepared his gun, but the two NPCs in front of him fought at tremendous speed.

I may end up hitting Fabio.

He held his breath, and cast: “Sharpshooter-Class Active Skill, Steady Shot.”

The skill allowed him to follow their movements with more ease, but still, Fabio did not seem to be limited by the ‘slow motion’.

 

NOTICE: Boss’ HP at 46%.

 

Fabio is dodging, and then punching two or three times in a row, rinse and repeat. Dylak hasn’t been able to hit him once, but once he does, it will be game over.

Alan positioned the pistol’s cannon and targeted Dylak’s head. Here we go.

The world around Alan returned to normal as soon as he fired. The shot was secured. Dylak would not be able to dodge. 

“Come on!”

A clinking sound echoed through the room, leaving Alan speechless. The bullet had ricocheted off Dylak’s forehead. His grin looked like that of a fiend.

Oh, right… I’m still the weakest User in all The Novus…

“Do you mind if I change the scenery, boys?!” Dylak shouted, hitting the ground with both fists, making the entire floor tremble and crack.

“Are you kidding me?!” Alan cried.

“Dylak’s Vitality it’s now estimated to be Silver D, Alan,” Aaron informed. “He is able to destroy the entire mansion with his bare hands.”

“Oh, great, just great!”

The floor collapsed, making them fall to the mansion’s ground level. The excess of dust made Alan cough as he tried to stand up. Squinting, he looked at a picture hanging above a chimney depicting Count Dylak beside a little girl. Who the hell is that brat?

In front of him, a glowing, sparking silhouette constantly moved around the boss.

Fabio is still fighting. His HP is at his last 10%.

 

NOTICE: Boss’ HP at 37%.

 

Watching the NPC fight with everything he got made Alan’s hands shake. “Come on, Fabio! You can do it!”

“I’ll do my best, Guild Master,” the NPC replied through Party Chat, as he threw a tireless barrage of punches.

Death by a thousand cuts, come on!

One of Count Dylak’s knees faltered. He coughed blood, before suddenly grinning, locking eyes with Alan.

That’s creepy…

Dylak spat blood in Alan’s direction, despite being 25 feet apart. What is that sound?

The next thing Alan saw was the chest of a man, and a red needle impaling him.

“W-what?” Alan asked, watching Fabio’s face. “D-did you protect me from that?”

“Count Dylak used the Blood Sports skill. It allows him to transform blood into solid objects,” Aaron informed.

“I can see that!” Alan cried. “You stupid Marco lookalike… I can revive indefinitely inside this dungeon.”

Fabio smirked. “I’m sorry, Guild Master, but my duty is to protect my allies…”

After Fabio’s body turned into vanishing pixels, only Count Dylak remained, standing in front of Alan.

“My apologies Alan Warden, it seems that my previous assessment of you was incorrect,” he said, turning his voice as soft as he could. “That brave NPC wouldn’t have been able to cause me so much damage on his own. This accomplishment is as yours as his. This kind of teamwork it’s the same I have with my dungeon’s Director. Without her help, I would’ve never reached this higher power level.”

“Glad that I helped you see another perspective… And… Did you say ‘director’?”

“I won’t criticize you again if you try fighting me using another NPC,” Dylak said, grabbing Alan by the neck. “As a matter of fact, I’m looking forward to our rematch.”

“D-don’t w-worry…” Alan smirked, as he felt Dylak’s grip getting tighter. “I-I’ll be b-back…”

Dylak bit Alan’s neck and sucked his blood.

 

NOTICE: Due to Count Dylak’s ‘Vampiric Bite’, 

he has healed 20% HP.

Boss’ HP currently at 57%.

 

3