Chapter 3 – Hannah’s POV
40 5 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Almost falling out of my seat I wake up startled to see the time. I was already late for school. I quickly threw on the school uniform and ran down the stairs. I met my mom and willow at the kitchen table eating breakfast.

"Hey Hannah! What's the rush? Come have some pancakes."

"Mom don't you see the time?? I am late for school."

"Hannah. Have you checked the date?"

I gave my mom a look of confusion and opened my phone looking at the calendar. It was Saturday. I can't believe I had forgotten what day it was. I threw my backpack on the floor and sat on the chair exhausted. My mom chuckled putting some pancakes from the stack on a plate for me. Still somewhat groggy, I cut a piece of the pancake and shoving it in my mouth. 

As I finished my pancakes I stayed sitting at the table. I watched as my mom got ready for work and my sister getting ready to attend a birthday sleepover. My family use to throw birthday sleepovers as well. Until one year I invited some of my classmates to attend and Piper was the only one who showed up. I never asked for a birthday sleepover again after that. Still sitting at the kitchen table unable to believe I thought I had school today, my sister and mom walked out the door saying goodbye as the door slammed. When they left, I ran upstairs to change back into last night's Pajamas. I tossed my hair up in a messy bun and decided to clean my room. I had already finished my homework from last night and I had the entire weekend to do whatever I wanted. As I was cleaning I got a notification from my phone. Piper had posted on instagram a photo of her and Felix. The caption read,

"Hanging with my boo! xoxo" 

I immediately liked the photo and commented saying,

"You guys are the cutest couple!"

I set my phone back down realizing that's why she had declined my invite the week before. I invited her to watch movies and hang out this exact weekend because the house would be empty but she declined without any sort of excuse as to why. I decided it wasn't worth the drama to ask about it, so I kept my thoughts to myself. 

As I finished sweeping my wooden floor, I decided to plop on my bed and sulk at the ceiling. My ceiling had a normal ceiling fan and pretty wooden panels. Although we've lived in the same house for many years, the ceiling never seemed affected by the time. Maybe that's why I enjoyed looking at it. Unlike people, the ceiling never changed. I felt my phone vibrate from another notification and I checked. Unexpectedly, I received a text from Oliver as if he could sense my boredom. He said, 

"Hey Hannah! I wanted to know if you wanted to meet up for lunch? I am kinda bored at the moment"

I smiled and replied with,

"Sure I'd like that, let me know a place and a time :)"

I immediately regret putting the smiley face at the end of that message. It was a childish habit I had from texting Piper. Getting up I grabbed my favorite pair of jeans and a T-shirt with cherries on it. As I checked my phone again he had already gotten back to me. He said,

"Alright cool cool, how about the Saffron Bakery near woodward elementary in about 30 minutes?"

"Sure sounds good see you there"

I set my phone down and started getting changed. As I was brushing my hair, I decided putting my hair in a low bun would look really cute. After finishing my hair and getting changed, I polished my black framed glasses placing them on my face and pushing them up with my finger. I looked in the mirror making sure I didn't look like a hot mess. I smiled happily at my reflection and then started going down the stairs. I threw on a pair of black converse I had laying around and left the house. My mom wasn't home so there wasn't a need to let her know where I was. I started walking to the bakery saying hello to my elderly neighbors who've lived in their homes longer than I have mine. I also flashed my bright smile at my favorite neighbors who have always treated my family with respect. I always tend to be nice to the people I meet because the kindness you give always has a way of coming back to you. I continued walking at a steady pace until I reached the bakery. The sky was clouded and I was hoping it wouldn't rain before I got back home but not everyone can control the weather. As I opened the door with the ring of the bell I spotted Oliver whom I locked eyes with. He gave me a smile and waved me over. I set down my purse and we began talking. 

"Hey Hannah!"

"Hey Oliver" 

"Nice weather we're having aren't we?"

"You call this nice? It looks like we are being approached by a thunderstorm."

"No worries, I brought an umbrella. I can order for us what would you like?"

"Oh probably just a strawberry cheesecake."

"Cool cool, will be right back"

With that he walked up to the counter to the lady working there and ordered our baked goods. As I waited patiently I spotted a familiar face walking towards the shop. I could barely make out their faces. When they got closer I realized it was Felix and Piper. How in the world did we both end up in the same place at the same time? I wouldn't know. As they walked in Piper spotted me and began to walk towards me when Oliver returned abruptly to the table with the desserts. He sat down and Piper reached our table holding hands with Felix. 

"Hey Hannah, who's the hottie?"

Before I could say anything Oliver took over.

"I am Hannah's friend, who might you be?"

"I am Hannah's 'Best Friend.' Mind if we pull up some chairs and hang with?"

A part of me wanted to say no or get lost but instead I replied by saying,

"Sure Piper."

When Piper and Felix pull up a chair, Felix then goes to order his and Piper's dessert. Piper stares at Oliver with a smitten look on her face. She smiles and asks,

"So Oliver, when'd you become friends with Hannah?"

"Just yesterday, I felt guilty for knocking her over in the hallway so I invited her for lunch."

"Oh I see. Are you seeing anyone right now?"

"No."

I could see the look on Oliver's face. He didn't feel comfortable with Piper's behavior. Before I could say anything Felix returns with his and Piper's brownies. We all dug into our desserts and when we've finished, Felix states he's got to use the restroom before Piper and him take off. Without hesitation, Piper says, 

"I'm surprised you're not more popular Oliver, you're really cute."

"Thanks."

He took the compliment although he didn't fall for Piper's deceiving expression. I couldn't let her behavior slide, she wasn't acting like herself and I wanted to do something about it. 

"Piper why do you continue to flirt with people who aren't interested?"

She turned her face to mine trying to hide her anger towards my question. At the same time, Oliver looks at me surprised by my question. 

"Hannah, I was just giving you're friend here a compliment don't take it so seriously." 

Just as she said that Felix re-entered the lobby and they both left the bakery. I looked down at my phone noticing the watch and deciding to go. 

"Oliver, I think I should head home too."

As I get up, Oliver grabs my hand. This catches me off guard and I turn back around. 

"Hannah, are you able to stay a little longer? We haven't really talked much this entire time."

I smile and reply.

"Sure I got some extra time."

I sit back down and we begin talking. 

1