Chapter 4 – Hannah’s POV
28 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You never introduced yourself to me, Hannah."

"Well, there isn't much to introduce you to. I am 16 and a sophomore just like you."

"I am sure there is something about yourself you can talk about."

"I like music."

"Well there's something, what kind of music do you listen to?" 

"Anything with meaning."

"Don't all songs hold some meaning?"

"Exactly my point. I listen to all music."

"That's pretty cool, I don't favor music as much as you do."

Our conversation continued on for almost another hour. He was actually a pretty funny person. It was a good change of scenery for once. I felt like my life was on loop for the longest time up until now. 

"So Oliver, how many siblings do you have? You seem to complain about them a lot."

"Haha I have 3 siblings, two older brothers and a younger sister. My sister gives me the most troubl-"

Before he could finish we both finally noticed the downpour of rain outside of the window. My smile faded as I dreaded walking in the rain without an umbrella.

"Hey Hannah? Where is your house?"

"Why do you ask?"

"I don't think it'd be safe to walk home in the rain without an umbrella, you might catch a cold."

"How come your worried about me? We've only known each other for two days."

"Because, I believe in the saying, kindness always finds its way back to you."

"Well in that case, I'd gladly let you walk me home."

I gave him my address which was surprisingly close to his, and we walked out of the bakery together. I tried to keep my distance to avoid making the situation awkward. He began talking to fill the sound of rain. 

"I like the rain. It is peaceful and helps me sleep."

"Do you have trouble sleeping Oliver?"

"Indeed I do. I was diagnosed with insomnia at the age of 12."

"Oh, I am so sorry."

"Don't worry about me, it hasn't affected my life too much."

"Oh okay."

"Do you not enjoy the rain Hannah?"

"Can't say I am too fond of it, it makes me sad and gloomy."

"That's too bad, I thought you'd be the type of person to like the rain."

We pressed to a halt when we reached my house.

"Well, this it. Text me later Hannah I'd like to hang out again sometime." 

"Will do Oliver."

"Also, you don't have to call me Oliver, call me Oli."

"Oh alright Oli."

"Now you got it, farewell mademoiselle Hannah."

I laughed as he walked away. As I closed the door I leaned against it and slid down to the floor. Even though the rain made me sad, I was the happiest person alive right now. I smiled and threw my shoes on the floor once I managed to rip them off my feet. It was almost sundown and my mom wasn't home yet. I decided that I would cook myself dinner since she probably decided to stay longer and help out. I guess that's where my kindness comes from. My selfless mother. I decided to make myself ramen since that was the first thing I spotted in our pantry. I poured the noodles into a bowl and filled it with water. I then put it in the microwave for the recommended time on the packaging. I sit on the counter since my mom isn't home and I sulk at the ceiling once again. I lay down on the counter staring at the ceiling and listening as the rain cascades down the roof. I zone for a bit, unaware that my ramen was finished cooking. When I was brought back to reality I sat up and hopped off the counter top. I grabbed the bowl from the microwave and placed it onto the table. When I was finished eating I took a shower and changed out of my clothes from earlier. I change into a onesie from the 8th grade because that was the only thing clean at the moment. I decided to do some laundry before my mom got home. Then hid in my room the rest of the night. 

I grabbed my headphones and put on my usual spotify playlist, I lay back in my chair relaxing until feeling bored. I decided to text Oli to see what he was up to at the moment. 

"Hey Oli"

"Hannah, hello how might I be of service to you?"

"Woah what's with the formalities?" 

"Just trying to be a gentleman, anyways what's up?"

"The sky is up."

"Haha very funny. But seriously what's on your mind?" 

"Nothing, that's why I texted you."

"Hmm I think I can fix that. How about a game of cod?"

"Oh you're on!"

 We play for an hour or two, both evenly good at the game. It was much more fun playing with someone else rather than playing by myself. After we play several more rounds, I decided to call it a night and crash on my bed. He says he will also be going to bed, but I didn't believe him. I close my eyes slowly while staring at the ceiling and I fall asleep.

The next morning my mom got up before me. I realized this when I had seen the note she'd left for my on the kitchen counter. It read,

"Bye Hannah, going to work be back soon xoxo"

I grabbed the note and crumpled it throwing it in the trash. I was exhausted and decided to have poptarts for breakfast since they were pre-made. After eating, I checked my phone seeing a few notifications from Piper and Oli. I checked Oli's first. 

"Well so much for not getting sick from the rain. I won't be at school on Monday."

With sympathy I replied. 

"Aw that's too bad get well soon! :)"

I then checked the messages I had received from Piper.

"Hannah gimme the deets about the cute boy you were with yesterday ;)"

I decided to leave her on read. Her cringy message brought back nostalgia from middle school. Back then we used to be some gossip girls. We would always eavesdrop on the school drama. We would then text each other about it. That was until the "popular clique" invited Piper to hang with them. Piper was hesitant, but began hanging out with them. My biggest mistake was encouraging her to join them. I ended up being left behind and we stopped talking for a long period of time. Until high school came around and the other girls ditched her. She came running back to me. She was always a nice person, but she had a secret personality that she hid from everyone. I was the only person who could see through her deception. 

I spent the rest of the day cleaning my closet and my bathroom. That took a lot of effort, but in the end it was worth it. I was finally able to see my closet floor. I was usually a pretty neat person overall, but somehow my closet was forgotten. The rest of the evening I sulked at the ceiling until it was time for dinner. Out of pure boredom I began imagining Oli. I felt really bad that he had gotten sick. I am sure he was in good hands at home, and thought it would be weird showing up to his house unannounced. 

Dinner was quiet tonight. My mom, my sister, and I were all exhausted. It made me quite glad actually. Talking, took too much energy and I'd rather enjoy the silence while it was still there. I finished my dinner before my mom and sister and put my plate in the sink before taking off upstairs to my room without another word.

 

1