Chapter 1 – Oliver’s POV
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I was a kid. My parents, decided it would be a good idea to go on a family vacation to florida. At the time, none of my siblings, including myself, wanted to go on a vacation. It wasn't the fact that we didn't want to have fun, it was the idea of attending school the week afterwards. We've always learned to use our brains in situations like this. Imagining both the pros and cons of the family trip. We were forced out of the house despite our opinion and we actually enjoyed ourselves. When we returned the following week, we were surprised with our pet cat dead on the living room floor. All of us stood there dumbfounded by the sight. Sylvester was 15 years old in human years so his death inevitable. I never got attached to any pets we had adopted afterwards. Loving something too much makes it harder when it's gone. I wasn't upset by the death of Sylvester. I was upset with the impact he had on my life. His presence missing from my life brought a lot of pain. A space that couldn't be replaced with something new. A space that I'd like to keep to myself.

I was involved in homework club since it helped me complete my homework before the due dates. I had some trouble with procrastination and laziness. The meetings were during lunch and after school and I had to rush so I wouldn't be late for today's meeting. I had stayed after talking with my teacher about my attendance in her class. Certain days I would skip because he lessons practically put me to sleep. I ran down the hallway with my things not noticing the students exiting one of the class rooms. Before I could react I ran into a girl slightly shorter than me with short brown hair. I knocked her down like one of those bowling pins at the bowling alley. I felt really bad as I grabbed my things and watched her struggle to find her bulky black framed glasses. After she placed her glasses on her face I quickly apologized.

"I'm so sorry!! I should have paid attention to where I was going"

"I-It's fine, don't worry about it."

"Here let me help you with your books."

I helped her pick up the rest of her belongings before speed walking down the rest of the hallway. As I entered the classroom I was out of breath and had to take a minute before apologizing to the senior in charge of the meeting for the day. 

"As I was saying.. The meeting this afternoon is cancelled because of the senior meeting after school."

Relieved to hear this I sat in my seat and pulled out my sketchbook to begin drawing. I hadn't had any homework so I attended to help any kids who needed it which was my usual routine. I hadn't drawn in quite a while so it took me a minute to figure out what I was going to draw. It came to me in almost an instant. The girl I bumped into. I could somewhat remember what she looked like. Although I felt awkward drawing a person I just met I thought it would be a good gift as an apology if I had ever seen her again. Short brown hair with bangs. Her hair was shoulder length and sat just above her shoulders. Her face shape was a heart. Her eyes were almond shaped and a pretty emerald green. Not to mention her big black framed glasses that just barely balanced on her small upturned nose. Before I could begin her lips lunch finished and the bell rang. I tucked away my sketchbook and put my backpack on my back as I proceeded to the cafeteria for lunch. As the day went by, I zoned out of most of my lectures. Instead I admired the plants and animals that inhabited the school yard. My mom always thought it was a shame I was extremely smart and didn't care about studying or getting good grades. I didn't let her comments ever change my mind about school though. It was a huge waste of time. I don't plan to remember what the powerhouse of the cell was which is the mitochondria if I might add. This went on for the rest of the day like every other day. At the end of the day, I decided to get some food. As usual, I assumed my mom hadn't gone shopping for groceries so I took it upon myself to eat. It made me feel bad for my younger siblings who wouldn't have dinner prepared so I decided going for some pizzas would be easy to carry for the most part. On my way there I noticed a familiar face that caught my eye. It was that girl I bumped into in the hallway, here was my chance to make it up to her. 

"Wait- You're the girl I knocked over at school right?"

"Yeah."

"Hey I wanted to apologize again, how about I make it up to you by treating you to some coffee?" 

"Um.. no thanks I am not very fond of coffee." 

"Oh my bad.. Oh! Where are my manners, my name is Oliver."

"Hannah."

"Well Hannah, I would hope to make it up to you. Here's my number so we can chat. Let me know if there is anything I am able to do in return."

I pulled out my notebook scribbling my number on a piece of the paper before scurrying off in embarrassment. While writing my number I wondered if she noticed a piece of the drawing I made of her peeking out the side of the notebook. My train of thought was cut short when I had reached the pizza plaze. The pizza plaze was owned by some really old guy who put his son in charge of business while he was at the hospital for medical reasons. I always found it nice to ask how well he was doing. It was always the same reply of, "He's fine.", "Better than yesterday!", or "Could be worse". No matter the reply, I always wished him my prayers that he'd get better before leaving. I think I may have over ordered because my arms were sore by the time I reached my home. Might I add, it wasn't the closest place in the world. I fumbled opening the door, but was able to set the pizzas on the ground before losing my balance. My two younger twin brothers came running towards me with smiles on their faces. Most likely glad I'd brought food home. It made me happy to know that I did something to make someone's day. My motto was always, "You've only failed when you've got no more kindness left to give". It hadn't had any specific relation to any memories that have occured in my life, it just stuck with me. Being able to give extra kindness benefits those who can't, just like the owner of pizza plaze. Just like my mom. 

1