Chapter 1: The Gift
1.8k 16 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Warning:

This story is not for the faint of heart. This will be an extremely dark beginning with darker plots later on. There will be things people will find quiet disturbing or upsetting. There is a happy ending, along with happy moments between characters. But there are gruesome scenes of parental violence, along with partner abuse; You have been warned.

 

*SIGH*

Anna sighs once again as she sits behind the counter of her florist shop.

Well… it’s mine now, been that way for eight years now… god I miss grandma.

She sits there looking over the invoices of paid and unpaid bills.

I am just near the black… if only I can get one more big order. Then I could-

*DING* *DING*

She looks up from her musing to see her favorite customer walk through her door.

“Terra! Welcome! I haven’t seen you all week! How have you been?” Anna greets her warmly.

“Ho ho ho~! I’m fine dearie, I’m fine. Just doin’ the last minute things before my big move, as you probably remember.”

“Right right… your move… Terra, I can’t say I won’t miss you after you leave. You’re one of my favorite customers.” She looked at the old wrinkled lady with dark mud colored skin, her eyes the color of emeralds. She wore green from head-to-toe. Green dress, green shirt, green shawl, along with a straw-hat, that looked like the flowers stuck in it, grew straight from it.

“Oh! And I will miss you so much as well dearie. But let’s get off of these depressin’ matt’rs. Did you do it today? Do ya got it?” The old lady asked excitedly.

Anna’s eyes shoot wide open.

“Yes! I have it!” She starts turn around, but spins back to Terra. “Hold on and wait there! I’ll get it!” She say as she runs back into her back room. “OOPS!”

*CRASH*

*BANG*

*SMASH*

Terra winces at the noise.

“Ya okay in their dearie?!” She shouts after Anna.

“I’m fine!” Comes a distant voice.

The only produces a chuckle from Terra at Anna’s clumsiness.

I hope she will be okay there. Agra’yala protect her. Terra sent a silent word towards her friend.

A pair of hands shoot out from behind the partition carrying a potted flower, followed by the rest of Anna.

But not just any flower.

It is a flower Terra hadn’t seen in almost her whole life.

“Here! What do you think! I took me almost six months to grow it. But I got it to grow. Boy! This was a picky one! Where did you say you got this seed?” Anna asked Terra.

Terra reached forward to hold the planter in her hands as she stared at the blooming flower.

“I haven’t seen a flower like that, and I have lived in a flower shop my whole life.” Anna told her.

“No… you wouldn’t have…” Terra assured her.

“This here, is a one of a kind flower.” Terra took a shuddering breath while looking at it.

Its sapphire like blue crystalline petals, with red patters down the spines towards a ruby colored stigma, along with topaz colored anther, and more ruby colored filament.

All of this sitting on top of a bulb that quite resembled a cactus.

“You will never see something like this flower ever again… it was given to me by… someone very dear to me. Let’s call him an old family friend.” She told Anna as tears weld and spilled down her cheeks.

See her favorite customer cry over the flower that sparked such deep emotions, made Anna’s eyes sting as well.

She reached over to grab a box of tissues.

“Here Terra, *HIC* don’t cry!*HIC*”

Terra laughed at the innocent youth that was on her way to crying herself.

“Now what sense does this make? how come you’re the one near tears when this h’re flow’r is the thing that means so much to me?” She drawled her quipped question.

“Be-Because! *HIC* I know this is going to be the last thing I get to do for you Terra! *HIC* You have been so good to me for so many years! Grandma loved you so much! She would always talk about you after you visited our house or the shop! *SNIFF*I can’t believe you’re moving! Aaaawwww!”

Now it was Anna that had the tissues in hand crying into them as she thought of her friend not being, almost like a second grandmother, not being around.

Terra gently put down her plant to walk around to give Anna a hug.

“There, There dearie. It’s not the end-… We can—… you’ll be okay!” Terra finally decided on.

“No it won’t! Not with you leaving! *SNIFF* I won’t have anyone in my life that brings me any joy anymore? *HIC*”

Now is my chance.

“Here then dearie.” Terra pulled back to unclasp a necklace she was wearing. “Take this, to remember me by.”

“*GASP* I c-cant take this! *SNIFF* Y-you’ve had this necklace since I was like ten or something!” Anna protested.

“It was when you moved in with your Sherry at seven, but believe me; I have had this necklace longer than that.”

“Even more reason not to g-give it to me! Th-that sounds like a f-family heirloom. *SNIFF*” as Anna protested, more tears to her eyes.

“Then I guess it is even more reason to give it to you dearie. You and Sherry have been like family to me for year now, And I be remiss if I don’t leave with with you then. I don’t got much left in the way of family now. You’re like my own great-granddaughter or somethin’ to me.” She held up the necklace to Anna. “You would be doin’ me a great honor by lettin’ me leave it with you, someone who care about me. Who will think about me as long as they have it.”

“*HIC* *SNIFF*Oh nanna-TERRA! Wwwwaaaaaaaa! *HIC*” Anna threw herself into Terra’s arms, sobbing hysterically.

“Sssshhhhhhhhhh. There there, my sweet child. Everything will be fine… you’ll see…”

You see…

After about ten minute. Anna final started to calm down.

“I am just going to miss you so much Terra! *SNIFF* Like you said,” She clenched the necklace to her chest. “We’re family! If you ever need something. Anything at all! You be sure to call me. *SNIFF* alright?!” Anna told Terra firmly.

“Yes yes child. You just worry about yourself now. Oh! And here.” She laid down a stack of cold hard cash. “For the flower, in-fact, for all the flowers.”

Anna stared at the large stack of cash with greed but shook herself out of it.

“I can’t take this just for one flower Terra! This is like four times worth what we agreed upon!”

“It’s actually ten times, but hey! Who’s countin’?” She saw that Anna was distressed by this so she hurriedly told her. “Just think of it as my going away present for you and your grandma… for all the years you’ve taken such good care of me and mine.”

“*SNIFF* I don’t know about both you and yours, *SNIFF* but I would always be willing to take care of you. And isn’t going away presents suppose to be for the people leaving? Not the people staying?” Anna countered.

“More than you think, and and yes, traditionally speakin’, but I’m thinkin’ that we can make an exception for this time. Since this is my way of showin’ thanks to ya’ll for all the years you’ve been so kind to me.

“Oh nana-Terra!”

“Now don’t you start cryin’ again! You have already watered me and my dress enough as it is.” Terra scolded her teasingly.

“Now Anna… this is important. You listen to Terra now.”

“*SNIFF* Okay…”

“I’m serious now! You list’n well!” She warned her.

“This is a special necklace. It has been in my care for as long as I can remember. I want you to put this on around your neck tonight, pray and wish for what it is you want more than anything else in the whole wide world. Then sleep with it on. Then when you wake up, all your troubles will be gone. Okay?”

“*SNIFF* So this is one of those old time wishing stones you told me about.” Anna commented.

“It’s that, and more my dear. That and more.”

—————————-———————-

After Terra left, Anna decided to close up shop early.

No point in keeping the place open for customers that weren’t going to show up.

She had also made at least four grand on that one sale.

I still can’t believe Terra gave me all of that. Even if it was for everything and as a gift this will keep me afloat for a good while now!

As she neared her apartment complex, she froze as she looked up to see who was by the door.

“Sheila.” Anna growled with venom in her voice.

The woman with blond curly hair, sitting on her door step of her apartment, looked up at her with a big smile.

“Annie!”

“AGH! It’s Anna. And why are you here? I thought you left with that guy you were shacking up with down in Jersey.” Anna stated more than asked, because frankly, she didn’t care.

She started to walk to the front door of her apartment to let herself in when she felt Sheila come up to hug her from behind.

“Ah! Don’t be like that! I have just missed my little Annie-pooh!~”

God I hate that I let her call me that. She growled in her mind.

“And besides!” Sheila started to say. “I am one, double oh! percent! done with him. There is nothing left of him really… but I know~ I can always come back to you~“ Sheila sing-songed into Anna’s ear.

Her seductive voice sent a shiver down Anna’s spine. She hate that it did, even after all these years.

Her arms felt like vipers constricting around her torso.

“Shei. We’re done. We broke up three years ago. And I haven’t seen hide-nor-hair of you in six months, and I honestly thought I wouldn’t again.” Anna said as she pushed off her ex-girlfriends arms from her body.

“Now look, I am tired. I am going upstairs, and I am going to sleep. And your!-“ She said with a point. “Not staying here!”

“Aw! But Annie! Is this really how you’re going to treat me?~ throw me out into the streets?~ All cold and lonely?~”  Sheila purred that last part. Which once again set a shiver down Anna’s spine.

“Look… the answer is still no. I am willing to let you up for a drink and give you money, just so that you leave. But you’re not staying.” Anna told her firmly.

“Aw!~ thank you sweetie!~ But we both know how this will end once I get up there.~”

Like hell we do! Anna thought determinedly. I will not let her have her way this time.

Sheila followed Anna through the door, walking behind her with a click and a clack of her four inch high-heels.

She looked back towards Sheila: who was wearing a tight glossy maroon colored mini skirt. A low cut white shirt with short sleeves, which showed off her midriff along with accentuating her curves.

All of them.

Damn it! She looks… really good… even if she looks like a hooker…

They walked up to the elevator, waiting for it to come down.

I can’t believe this! Not even five minutes, and I am already catering to her whims like three years ago; waiting on the elevator together, rather than walking the to flights of stairs to get to my apartment on the second floor. Just so she doesn’t have to walk up stairs in heels. God I suck!

As Anna was thinking this and berating herself, The elevator arrived, and the doors open.

But her body seemed to refuse to move on its own; like it was waiting for something.

Sheila then bent forward to look up at Anna’s face from below.

“Shall we?~ hehehe~”

There it was! There it fucking was!

With that simple phrase, her body unlocked to allow her onto the elevator.

God I hate myself. I really do.

As she stepped on the elevator, Sheila walked in behind her. As she turned around to press the button, she felt a touch of what felt like an arm, brush against her ass.

She looked back swiftly, but Sheila was already leaning nonchalantly against the wall. Both arms pressed upward in a stretching motion, as if to vindicate herself of what she had just done.

And I know she did it to. I just don’t know how.

She rode opposite of the box as Sheila. Hoping to just stay away from her for the short ride up the elevator.

She lucked out, as the ride was to incredibly short for Sheila to do anything untowards her.

As the doors opened, she hurried off the elevator, but not before stopping to make sure Sheila was behind her.

She had to shake herself from this spell.

Get a grip. Don’t let her effect you like always.

She promised herself three years ago they were done, and that they would be done for good.

So far, she had kept that promise. But she felt herself slipping tonight for some reason.

Get a grip! She told herself. No sex. No matter how good. Is not worth her bullshit.

She felt a hand press into the small of her back, which made her stiffen as she was trying to unlock her apartment door.

“Hm~hm~hm.” Sheila giggled under her breath. “Relax love. You’re so tense.”

Anna hurriedly opened the door while flipping on the lights inside her studio apartment. As she almost ran towards the kitchen to escape.

As she reached the island, she turned to glower at Sheila.

“First of all. I am not your love. Second of all, I-… *GULP* C-Changed my mind about those drinks.” She informed her.

Sheila’s trademarked smile vanished as she heard this. It was replaced by her other trademark facial expression: disappointment.

“Gawd! Annie! Lighten up! You sound like a prude when you talk like that.” Sheila told her scoldingly as she sauntered over towards the kitchen refrigerator. “The least you can do it offer me a sip of this wine cooler.”

Anna took a deep breath to gather her courage.

“I-… I don’t have to offer you anything. What I am doing is mo-more than enough.” Anna protested.

Anna almost instantly regretted getting firm with Sheila. No one got firm with Sheila.

Sheila spun around with practiced ease on her heels as she stocked towards Anna. A glass of wine in one hand, with both of her arms crossed.

“I am willing to over look how you’re treating me right now. As long as you behave yourself from now on. Now: give me a kiss.” Sheila told her when she was all but pressed against Anna.

But just before Sheila’s lips met with Anna’s she was pushed gently back a step by Anna’s outstretched arms.

“N-N-No… No Sheila. I can’t… I won’t do this with you again.” Anna told her shakily.

“UGH!” Sheila groaned as she spun on her heels to walk away from Anna in frustration. “Why are you being such a stuck up bitch tonight?! Huh?! Didn’t I train you better than that?” She took a long draw from her glass, draining in almost a couple gulps.

She then threw the glass across the kitchen, watching it shatter with a satisfied smile.

“H-Hey! I am n-not dealing with this shit tonight Sheila!” Anna reached for her purse, pulling out three bills. “H-Here is a hundred and fifty. Just take this and—“

*SLAP*

Before she knew what was happening. Anna found herself on her own kitchen floor. With a towering Sheila standing over her huffing in anger.

“Do you think I am here about some FUCKING money?!” Sheila scoffed. “If I needed or wanted money, I could get that and more from others, than just a  paltry nights rent at a cheap motel like you’re trying to had out, like I am some cheap dime store hooker!”

Sheila then swiped her arms across the counter. Throwing things down on to the floor. Smashing ceramic figures, glass bottles of empty wine, and Anna’s purse to the floor. Making Anna cover her head and flinch at the falling debris.

“You selfish worthless bitch!” Sheila sneered at Anna. “I come back to you for a night of fun after six mouths apart; after three years! Three fucking years of no sex with you?! And this is the treatment I get! AFTER ALL THE FUCKING YEARS WE SPENT TOGETHER!” Sheila yelled so loud at her, Anna feared people would call the police on her again.

“You are such a rotten good for nothing little homebody! Who is their right mind would love you more than I would—“ Sheila stopped talking. The abruptness of which pulled Anna out of her fetal-position to look at what had Sheila so distracted.

She followed Sheila’s gaze towards her purse, which had a half showing large antique looking ruby necklace.

“Hmm~ well well well? What do we have here? That sure is pretty for someone like you.” Sheila then tried to step over and past Anna, who was still on the floor.

“N-NO!” Anna yelled as she dove for her purse. Just in time to keep Sheila away from Terra’s necklace. “D-Don’t touch it! This is from T-Terra!”

“Ugh! That pruny aunt Jemima wanna-be bitch? She is still up and walking? Pity. Thought she would have given up by now, with how one foot in the grave she was.” Sheila sneered her contempt.

“She is twice the person you will ever be She-“

*SLAP*

“DON’T TALK BACK TO ME YOU BITCH!” Sheila yelled with anger at Anna’s continued defiance. “Who the fuck do you think you are?!”

*SLAP*

Anna curled into a ball to protect her face from being hit anymore. When Sheila couldn’t reach her face. She decided to kick at her with her heels.

“AAAGHHHHH!” Anna screamed as two sharp kick were delivered to her back.

“Hurts doesn’t it?! Huh?! How do you think I feel when my girlfriend refuses to talk to me for three years, making me basically homeless!” Sheila turns the blame around onto Anna.

“We are not”

*THUD*

“AAAGH!”

“DON’T TALK BACK WHILE I AM TALKING YOU DUMB CUNT!”

*THUD*

“GAWD! I thought I taught you better than to talk back to me.”

*THUD*

“Guess not.”

*THUD*

“Alight. I am bored now. And I am sure the neighbors are ready to speed-dial the cops any moment if I make anymore noise.” Sheila reached down to pick up the cash that had fallen out of Anna’s purse. “I’ll be taking this as a compensation for what you’ve put me through tonight. And if you know what is good for you, you’ll bring that necklace to me by tomorrow if you want my forgiveness.” Anna just laid on the floor, listening to the clicks of Sheila’s footsteps grow distant as she headed towards the door.

“Ciao Bella!”

*SLAM*

Anna waited there on the floor, waiting for the sound of the elevator to start descending. It was old and loud. So she could hear it from where her apartment was.

She uncurled herself from her fetal-position of protection, feeling the aches and pains from the three slaps and eight kicks Sheila gave her.

Or as least it felt like that many. God! How does a small woman that is basically a twig kick like that? Must be the shoes.

She unfurled her cupped hands to look at the necklace. The large ruby in the center had a crack running down the center.

Goddamn it! Not even an hour and I already fucking broke it!

*HIC*

I am so sorry Terra!

*HIC*

Anna laid there for what felt like hours. Just sobbing her tears at what her life had become.

After a while, she got up with a groan. As she did, she looked at the destruction of her kitchen, she could only sigh.

“Sadly… she’s done worse.”

Not much was broken, and the only money Sheila made off with was the two-hundred she had on hand.

Stupid bitch. Have fun with at that motel you were bitching about… fucking cunt.

She groaned in pain as she marched up stairs.

I’ll be lazy tonight… I have a headache and am to tired to clean this shit. It’s not like it’s going anywhere.

As she got to her bedroom loft. She quickly changed into her pajamas without looking into the mirror. She didn’t want to see how screwed up her appearance was.

Can’t be worse than last time. Anna thought morosely.

She took off her glasses, laying them on the bedside end-cabinet, next to her alarm.

She pulled back the sheets and the comforters, to crawl into and curl up like a cocoon.

I love being able to do this again… Sheila always hogged the blankets.

The thought of her ex only brought the flaring aches of pain where she had been struck back to life.

Damn her to hell.

She looked down at the necklace in her hands.

I already miss you Terra… you were the last person I think gave a damn about me…

She pulled the amulet closer to her before praying.

If anyone is out there! Please! Get me out of here! Take me away from this place! I—… I want to meet someone. Someone who will love me! For me! And only me! PLEASE!

……..

Please…….

Take me to my true love…

*WHOOSH*

The sound of howling wind could be heard all around Anna, she felt an abnormal chill hit her body.

Huh?!

She sat up, looking around. It was night, but there was snow blowing and hitting her in the face. From what she could tell. She was on some sort of snowy embankment.

“What the fuck…” She whispered to herself, not believe this was happening.

*GRRRRRWWWWW*

She turned around to see a weird looking white snow leopard with some sort of flat head stalking her from about thirty yards away.

“Umm… help?”

44