Chapter 34: The Human Lands
281 6 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lilian woke up groggily as she sat up from her bedroll.

“Uummm?… Anna?…” She called out to her love out of habit because of her foggy brain.

But as her hand touched the space next to her. It all came rushing back to her.

           

Right……

                   

She looked towards the flap, seeing light spilling in through the tent flap.

Wait… that is sun light. It is morning?!

                     

Worried something might have happened. Lilian quickly got ready and rushed out of her tent to see what was the matter.

But what she saw at the center of camp confused her more than anything.

Huh?

               

“And then! And then! When I walked up to her she started crying uncontrollably! Hahahah! Over a burnt loaf of bread! Ahahaha!”

“Oh my God! That is to funny! Hahahaha! I can see that from her perspective! Oh how she was panicking before you showed up! Hahahaha!”

                    

Lilian blinked in confusion at the scene of her mate and Harks getting along swimmingly.

“Umm?… Good morning?…” Lilian called out to them. She almost thought she might still be asleep and this is all a dream.

They both started at Lilian’s sudden appearance.

“Lili!~ Good morning! Did you sleep well?”

                      

Maybe I am dreaming? She seems to be back to normal now.

“I slept great actually. Thank you?”

“Mmm! That’s good. When Harks told me that you had stayed up the entire night before. I told him that we should just let you get some sleep.”

Harks nodded is head.

“Yeah. Plus, I don’t mind missing a few hours of sleep. I can nap when we stop for lunch.”

“Awe! Does Harks need his afternoon nap because his age is getting to him!~” Anna said teasingly.

Lilian looked at her love like she had grown two heads. She was teasing that no nonsense old man all of a sudden.

              

“You brat! But if we had a good tankard of grog, that would do better! Puts me right out! Hahaha!”

                                

Yup! Definitely still asleep. Lilian thought assuredly. No way old man Harks is this cheerful.

And why are they suddenly getting along? He hates humans!                            

Anna looked at Lilian with a concern gaze.

“Lilian? Still asleep there?”

“I think so?”

Lilian reached down and pinched herself.

Then scowled as she felt a pin prick of pain. She directed her gaze back towards the two.

“So this is not a dream then. How and why are you two getting along so well?” She questioned them.

Anna and Harks looked at each other for a moment before looking back at their illustrious leader.

Anna was about to say something, but Harks beat her to it.

“Why shouldn’t we get along? I am a soldier, and she is my shaman.”

This brought a smile to Anna’s face at Harks words. It made her feel good that she was becoming more than just: that human mate of the Warchief’s.

But apparently, this didn’t please Lilian to hear.

“So! You got another to join your side, is that it?” Lilian accused Anna.

Anna was shock to hear her mate’s venom in her voice.

“Side? What side? What are you talking about?”

“I am talking about how you are making everyone here your follower, instead of them being mine! You are also pitting them against me because you are blaming me for something you think I did!”

                                     

Anna gave her mate a disbelieving look as watched Lilian point at Harks.

“How is it that you are being nice to the one who has been the most antagonistic towards us both? He did not even believe you could be a shaman at all! Why are you only blaming me for what everyone else did as well?!”

“Is that what you truly think?!” Anna questioned Lilian’s thoughts. “Harks had no reason to believe I was shaman!” Anna shouted Lilian. “You on the other hand, did! You lied to me!”

“How did I lie to you?!” Lilian argued.

“You broke our promise to each other!”

“What promise?!”

“The one where if one of us knows something the other one knows more about. That we’re to trust the other one!” Anna spelled out for Lilian.

“That?… You are upset about that?!” Lilian questioned. “How was that even relevant at that time?!”

“What do you mean?! I was clearly showing you all the things I could do!”

“And how was I supposed to know that? There were multiple way for a human to do what you did that night!”

“And that is my point Lilian! You were supposed to trust me! Even if you think I was wrong or didn’t believe me!”

“How does that make any sense?! You could have gone crazy from the swamp for all I knew! I was so scared for you that night Anna! I had to make a choice whether to abandon my mission or leave you in the swamp while we continued forward! Instead! I choose to make the call to take you back for your safety because of how concerned I was for the state of your mind!”

“Really? Those were your only two options?” Anna looked at Lilian incredulously.

“What else could I have done?!” Lilian shouted back at Anna.

“Oh? I don’t know? Maybe take a chance to trust and believe in your partner?! What was so hard about that?”

“Anna, you cannot be serious? Did you really expect me to take a chance on some random thing that should not have been possible for you to be? over our mission to travel towards Falaris for the safety of over three million of my peoples’ lives?”

         

“I don’t even understand why you are trying to argue against me on this anymore?! What is the point? I am a shaman now! I was right! You owe me an apology for not listening to me!” Anna told her flat out what she wanted.

“I owe no one, NOTHING!” Lilian yelled her last word. 

Her words like a blow to Anna’s heart.

                     

“Lilian……” Anna called out to her with a strained voice.

But Lilian shook her head.

“No: Warchief. I told you this yesterday. If I cannot call you…… that! And have to call you by name or title. Then you will do the same to me.” She stomped up to Anna and got within a foot of her sitting form. Looking down at her face.

“I am the leader of my clan. Not you. I have responsibilities to my people. Out of all the choices I had to make yesterday, I choose what I thought I had to, for the good of everyone. I did nothing wrong. I owe you nothing. If anyone owes someone here an apology. It is you and Tharhym for keeping this a secret from me!” Lilian told Anna firmly.

Anna was looking up at Lilian with wet disbelieving eyes.

Her gaze pierced Lilian’s chest. Making her resolve shake. The truth of the matter was, that Lilian wanted nothing more than to fall to her knees and beg for Anna to take her back and forgive her for whatever it was she had done.

But she knew that her position as leader was being further and further compromised the longer this trip took.

Lilian had hoped that she could eventually win over the hearts and minds of her men, to get then to think more in line with her way of leadership, thus once they had returned back to the main clan. They could report back to their respective leaders to help spread Lilian’s influence.

         

So she had to stand firm.

         

She had to show she was a strong leader.

               

It was supposed to be a long route to securing her rule.

But two unexpected things had occurred.

Harks trying to subvert her authority.

Anna becoming a shaman.

                  

And now, for some reason. Anna has taken my plans and ran away with them.

Lilian glanced to see that Harks had actually had a hand on his weapon, ready to come to Anna’s aide had Lilian done anything to her.

Idiot! She is my mate. Mine! What I do with her is my business. He has no right to defend her. What is he thinking? Like I would ever raise a hand against her.

But her thought were brought up short when she thought of this. She remembered a time she had actually done so. It was before Anna was her mate. But she had actually harmed her.

What the hell am I doing anymore?

Lilian turned away from her tearful mate and went back towards her tent.

“Wake the others. Have camp cleared and picked up. I want are party moving out as soon as breakfast is over with.” She ordered as she walked away, before starting on tearing down her tent.

“……As you command… Warchief…” Harks answered her with a sarcastic tone.

                                

————————————————-

                                             

It was hours later.

Their group was traveling and fast.

With Anna as a shaman. They could take a more direct route through the swamp. Leaving an almost trail behind to follow.

This made this easier for them, not only in traversing the difficult terrain. But also allowing them to either change the shape of the swamp to their benefit if needed.

Whether that was moving trees.

Creating bridges out of vines over marsh areas so that they did not have to go around.

Or diverting streams entirely.

Most of the group was ecstatic about this.

The swamp, uninterrupted was a weeks journey across. Which they had ten days with dealing with set backs from Lazrator’s redirection of their path.

From their point near the center of the swamp.

It only took them another two whole days to reach the other side.

          

Anna was moving and shaping the trees to make a clear path for them out of the Swamp of Madness.

What Anna saw as they exited the tree line was astonishing to her eyes.

Wow!

Fields of grain lined a road that was about half a mile from their current location of the swamp.

It was just becoming dusk as they exited. The farms looked like fields of gold.

“Beautiful.” Anna whispered.

“Yeah. You forget after living in the wetlands or the coast, just how beautiful the human lands can be.” Harks comments as he exits the swamp, followed by Safarti, Lilian, Horrik and Grak’Horve.

“It is just wheat.” Lilian commented.

“BAH! Typical young person response. Can’t appreciate the beauty of mother rayala and sister Salawary.”

“Oh yeah. Her sister… I forgot about her: her name was Salawary wasn’t it?” Anna spoke aloud.

The five other Mokra’Torcs looked at their shaman with incredulousness.

“Are you saying you spoke to Salawary, the mother of nature as well?!” Safarti questioned her.

“Yeah, but it was a while ago. It was before I could discern the true names of the spirits.”

“I see. Is this why you called her by Salawary?” Asked Grak’Horve.

“Well… I would have called her by her given name before her true name in-front of you all anyways. But, that is also to say, that I actually don’t know her true name.” Anna shrugged. “As soon as I see her again, I will learn her name.”

“So how does that work? If you’re a shaman, do they just tell you their true names?” Asked Horrik.

Anna shook her head.

“No, it’s more like you look into their spirit and can just… well… for lack of a better way to say it. Just know it. It is like the name is written on their very spirit and you can sense it.”

“Ah! I see. So this is something that, unless you’re a shaman. You’ll never understand.” Harks acknowledges.

“I guess so? But at the least, you know how it is that we do it… or at the least, how I do it. I never bothered to asked Tharhym. Because I already knew how to sense the spirits. We kinda bounced around in my teaching.”

They were all quiet for a moment before anyone spoke again.

“Guess there is a draw back for being talented sometimes then. People think you just catch on to everything and don’t bother to explain things.” Grak’Horve commented.

“…I guess you’re right…” Was all that Anna could comment on it.

They stood there for a few moments, gathering their bearings on after leaving the swamp proper.

This allowed them to take in the sights of the large fields if wheat in-front of them.

“So? What is the plan from here?” Horrik asked while looking at Anna.

In fact, all of the Mokra’Torcs except for Lilian looked towards Anna at Horrik’s words.

Anna threw up her hands in a disarmed motion.

“Don’t look at me! This is my first time here! Despite being a human, I am not from here.”

“Oh… yeah, sorry. It’s just, we’ve been following your lead for the last few days that I just thought to ask.”

Anna had been glancing towards Lilian the whole time Horrik was talking. Noticing her jaw tighten with his every word.

“Well… Lilian… what should be our next move?” Anna asked her.

                

Lilian did a double take back at Anna.

“Oh! Is it my turn now to be the leader again? I had not noticed.” She said sarcastically.

“Lilian……”

“Fine whatever.” Lilian dismissed Anna by stepping forward to scan the horizon.

After a moment, she nodded her head before turning back towards her group.

“Our best chance of making it towards the capital is to travel the road over there.”

“But won’t that leave us open and exposed to everyone?” Horrik asked.

“It will.” Lilian answered him. “But the alternative is to sneak through the fields or on the edges of the farmers lands. Which will be a problem.”

“Why?” Asked Safarti.

“Mostly because, if we are spotted walking through the edges of their fields or by the woods, and not the main roads, they are going to assume we are bandits, or some sort of orc marauders.”

“”AH!”” Safarti and Grak’Horve said as one. “Which would be bad.” The former comments.

“Yeah. And on top of that, if they report us to whatever passes for guards or watchmen around here; they are sure to attack us first, ask questions later: which I am sure we can handle as a fight. But will also draw more attention if we have to end up killing them.”

“Right…” Harks comments. “There is also there fact that, we also might have the unfortunateness of running into actual bandits or such out here.”

Lilian nodded.

“Quite right.” She lifted a hand to point towards the road. “But on the road, we are just any ordinary travelers. Sure we may be identified as a group of traveling orcs right away and reported. But we also have an equal chance of just being outright ignored. Whereas we have a low chance of being spotted on the outskirts, but…” She trailed off her thoughts she was speaking aloud.

“We run the assured risk of being reported by the farms if we are spotted at all.” Anna finishes for her.

“Right.” Lilian agrees. “So our best bet is to just keep a low profile. Interact with no one. Just to travel along the road, minding our own business. Most folks leave travelers well enough alone anyways.”

          

“Any questions or comments?” Lilian asked her group. Their heads shook back and forth. So she just gave them a nod.

“Okay then. Lets get to the road before sundown and then start heading towards the capital.”

               

                 

They did as Lilian commanded. Moving their group towards the road to travel under the guise of everyday travelers.

And as they were bedding down and getting ready to camp by the road side. Anna perked up in the center of their group from where she was cooking.

“Guy! Problem!”

“What is it?!” Lilian asked her concern. “”What is the matter shaman?!”” Safarti and Grak’Horve asked her at the same time.

Their unison reply to Anna, calling her shaman, vexed Lilian to no end within her mind.

How and when did she convince them as well?!

       

Anna looked around the group then looked at Lilian and told her flatly.

“There are a group of paladins coming here.”

“Paladins?! Are you sure?!” Harks asked her.

“Yeah, at least that is what a spirit just told me. Apparently paladins have been patrolling up and down the road for days now……… They… they are ordered to kill any orcs they find.”

“What?!” “Why would they?!” “That dirty fucking queen!”

“ALRIGHT! Enough!” Lilian shouted. She looked at Anna calmly before asking her. “Does the spirit know how many there are?”

Anna looked towards her right, making it look like she was staring at Grak’Horve. Before looking back at Lilian.

“Five armored paladins, with about twenty regular soldiers.”

“So a little more than two whole squadrons. I would almost feel flattered, if I was not so angry about the fact that they are on the look out for us in the first place.”

“So what will we do Warchief?” Harks asked her. “We can probably take five paladins… but it would be an even fight between them and us… but with twenty extra men… I don’t think we have the advantage, even with Anna.”

But Lilian was already shaking her head.

“We can’t fight them. They want us to attack them. I am almost certain that these soldiers are following the orders of one of the nobles in charge of them. If the queen organized the order to call us to her. Then there is no way she would just set up a group of troops to just attack us.”

“Why—“

“Because if she wanted to attack us, her best option for doing so, would have been to do so already, rather than send a message to inform us that we needed to report to her. These are two different contradicting orders given to her troops. Now, unless she is playing some sort of mind games with everyone. There would be no point for her to send us a message of intent, just to make a scenario and excuse to start a war anyways: It would have been better to do a preemptive strike, before any sort of Mokra’Torc army had been finally formed. So that is why I don’t believe this is the queen’s doing.”

“Okay… that explains the intent… but not what we’re going to do about it.” Harks points out.

Lilian looks back to Anna.

“Have they just been patrolling this road? Or were we reported?”

Anna looks back towards the spirit before answering.

“They have just been traveling.” She answers.

“How long do we have until they arrive?” Lilian asks her.

It takes a moment for Anna to get an answer for Lilian.

“I… the spirit says they are about half a day’s journey away… so whatever that means.”

“Are they traveling now?!”

“………Yes.” Anna replies.

“Great!…” Lilian says sarcastically. “At the very least, they will not be looking for our group specifically. Or, I should say. They will not know that our camp is the group that they are looking for. But that is a small miracle. But we’re lost our chance to hide.”

“Why? What do you mean?” Horrik asks.

“Come’n boy. It should be obvious.” Harks comments. “If they are traveling by night. That means they spend most of the day moving as well, with only a rest in the afternoons during the hottest part of the day. This way, they can travel farther during other times of the day. But there is no way we can naturally disguise our campsite after we have prepared it like we have before they show up. We will have just barely enough time to pack up and leave before they show up, but they will still most likely catch up to us before we get far.”

“So? What is it that we’re suppose to do? I can always just bury our campsite—“

“No!” Lilian cut off Anna. “Under no circumstance do you use your elemental magic. While it is not the same as a mages, they will be able to sense the residual energy used in this spot if you do, then be able to tell we also have a magic user with us: keeping you a secret is our greatest strength from the humans. Because no one; just like us, will believe that you are our shaman. That is our advantage.”

“So, again, what is it that we are going to do?” Harks questions.

“…………………”

As Lilian takes her time to think of a plan. Anna raises her hand. Lilian quirks a brow at her.

“Yes As— Shaman… what is it?” Lilian corrects herself before she says the word she is not allowed to use.

“Why don’t we just not do anything?”

            

All of them.

Every single Mokra’Torc looked at Anna incredulously.

“”What?”” Three out of five question her in confusion.

“What I mean is: We can also use me to our advantage, as you said. If we wrap you guys up in bandages with our first-aid bandages. You wouldn’t look like anything other than a bandaged up person right? Indistinguishable between a Mokra’Torc or a human right? What if I was the only one that was up when they go here? While the rest of you slept, or at the least, pretended to be asleep. Because what they’re looking for is a group of orcs right? Not a human traveling with a bunch of orcs. Maybe I can just persuade them to leave if they just see a human, rather than all of us.”

Lilian took a breath to argue. She really wanted to tell Anna no. That there was no way she would allow her to do something so risky. But as much as she wanted too. She also saw no other alternatives that would allow them to escape safely or allow them to win a fight.

Not that fighting soldiers of Falaris was an option currently. Even if we did not kill them; which would be hard to do in a fight where they were attacking us with the intent to kill. Because that would break down any negotiations we might have with the queen if we show any sort of hostile actions.

Loath as she was to admit it. Anna had come up with a solid plan. It not a risky one. Which only put Anna in the most direct line of danger.

But that is if any of these paladins were not above breaking some of their oaths. Lilian thought in worry.

She looked to the rest of her group before landing on Harks.

“Do you see any other better option than this?”

Harks shook his head.

“If you have to ask me, then you know there isn’t. Your mate has come up with a really good plan with this. I was going to suggest something similar, with us taking our tents down and hiding in the fields. But that puts the risk of leaving our shaman alone and unprotected, which is, unacceptable.” Harks comments.

Lilian nodded her head before looking at Anna.

“Okay then. We will get dressed up from head-to-toe in bandages. The best story to go with is that we are travelers heading towards the capital looking for a priest to help heal our wounds. Best to tell them we have some sort of lesion and some sort of illness. Those of you that do not know; Paladins are able to heal minor wounds and cure burns and such. So it needs to be outside of a paladins expertise, but not so great that if they suspect a plague that they try and cull us.”

“Oh geez! So, basically. Convince them we were attacked by bandits or something and your wounds became infected or something?”

“No, they should be able to cure that. So that will not do…… Convince them we were attacked by orcs using poisons or rabid beasts in the field, the latter preferably. Whichever will work in your favor Anna. There is no need to be super descriptive as long as they buy the fact that we are all humans traveling with you to the capital to get treated.”

Anna nodded her head.

“Got it.”

Lilian nodded back at her.

“Good.” She looked at the rest of the good. “Let’s get dressed and ready for bed people. We’ll have guests in a few hours.”

                                

————————————————-

                               

Sure enough, they did.

It was about four hours later that Anna had spotted the lights of lanterns held up by a large group of people heading their way.

Show time. Anna thought to herself.

            

She made herself comfortable as she made herself busy by preparing a simple stew.

Anna looked over at the spirit that had informed her that the paladins were coming.

“Thanks again for tell us they were on their way towards us Malakite.” She said in an appreciative whisper.

He waved her off.

“I just hate seeing injustice young one. And I am also disappointed in my great-great-grandchild for accepting bribes from his lord like he has. He is going against his queen’s direct orders because of this. There is no honor in what he is doing: this is not the knight’s way of doing things.”

“Right, you were a knight in life as you were telling me.” Anna comments.

“That is right. I was a knight, before they started the training of priests in the knight’s order to create the paladin order. Since paladins are a most recent trained soldier phenomenon.”

Anna smiled at the previous generation looking on at how far their prodigy had come. While she couldn’t tell his emotions. She could sense that Malakite was both envious and proud at how far knights had gone. Just by the smile on the man’s face.

“Well. As much as I would like to help you with your grandchild’s moral dilemma. Our mission takes precedence.”

“Believe me child, I understand that sometimes duty comes above moral ambiguity. But at the same token, your sentiments mean a lot to this departed knight. If I may request and be so bold. Would you allow me to write a note for you to pass to on to my house hold? Once this child’s father learns he has taken bribes, I am sure he will face reprimands.”

“Hmm… I don’t have any paper on me. But once I have some way to send a letter when we reach the castle. I will be sure to write your letter. So come find me in like month or so.” Anna tells him.

“Very well noble priest! I shall not forget your kindness!” He tells her before disappearing into the either.

“I am not a priest!” She shouts at him, but receives no reply.

She looks back down the road heading towards the capital, were she can see the lights of torches drawing ever closer.

“Okay… my turn to do what I can.” Anna says to herself in a determined fashion.

                                  

————————————————-

                                                  

Loren “Truthbringer” Wellfield was frustrated.

She had been frustrated for lots of reasons for this trip. That because of her status as an initiate while, she technically outranked most soldiers and knights, was still the lowest rank within her order.

She was also frustrated for being parted from her love for the next two weeks, while the patrolled up and down the roads leading from the capital to the edge of the marshlands.

But most of all, she was just plain fed up with all the lies being thrown around.

Her Light given name wasn’t just something that was just a moniker. It was her Light given talent. She was a Truthbringer in every sense of the word. Ever sense that day she was anointed by the Light. She was sworn to truth, purity, and righteousness.

But her blessing as a Truthbringer, allowed her to also know for certain when an individual lied about something. This was a constant headache for her; as whenever she heard a lie, it felt like someone pinched a part inside her head. Which wasn’t so bad, but when she was subjected to it constantly and without end, it became a migraine.

This made her both immensely popular within the order’s older faction for being an enforcer of fellow troops. But also a nuisance for anyone she was supposedly having to enforce.

Thus why she was mandated for this mission.

Her commander had received word that everyone within this squadron were, not only oath breakers, but they also were possible spy working for the inner nobles.

Unlike the knights academy, where talent and birth was what was important. Most could join the paladin order, as long as they were willing to follow the doctrines of the priesthood. With this in mind, it was decided that the same rules that applied for people to join the priests’ covenant, were the same rules towards join the paladin’s order.

Most people considered paladins to be nothing more than the priests’ and queen’s personal lapdogs, to fetch and kill all that stood in their way.

But things were quite different from what the public may have thought. While the paladin order was founded by training knights in the way of priests and vice-versa.

They were in no way, controlled by the priests covenant. Even the queen, while they served the crown and royal bloodline, took orders from only the Light and the Order of Unity: the Order of Unity took orders from the queen.

This is where people got there misconceptions.

The while the Archbishop was a part of the Order of Unity, He was there to uphold the priests’ part in the order’s founding. But he only had as much power as anyone else on the Order of Unity: which consisted of eleven men, all of which were part of the paladin order’s founding made twenty years ago. Which was the man that Loren looked up to the most Belrick, “Light’s Champion” Aleksei.

While a noble man at birth, he had always been a champion of the common people. One who chose justices for all, rather than use his status to defend his fellow nobles. When the paladin order was founded and he became a paladin. It only seemed fitting and natural for the Light to bestow him the title of Light’s Champion.

Now he lead the order as their figure head while also dealing as being intermediary between the other factions, such as the knight’s order, the priest’s covenant, and the queen.

Loren had to raise her visor to reach up and pinch the bridge of her nose to try and stave off her headache that threatened to overwhelm her.

                       

“Hey! What is that?!” Sir Roger announces as he spots something.

Loren stops pinching her nose to look up at what he indicated.

“Looks like a campsite.”

“More travelers most likely. Can’t believe how many people are moving to the capital lately. Makes me sick with how many beggars and poor immigrants we’re getting.” Sir Mikhail comments.

“Could be,” Sir Reginald says in an unconvinced tone. “Could be these orc marauders we’re looking for.”

Loren grit her teeth at his lie.

She wasn’t sure what it was they were exactly lying about. But she knew that he was. They were out here looking for more than just a band of filthy orcs.

What is it that these pigs are up to? She wondered.

Their leader snorted.

“In any case, we will go and see who it is. I doubt the orcs are dumb enough to light a campfire by the main roadside anyways.”

Loren nodded her head in agreement.

“Well put squad leader.” She told her Major.

He snorted at Loren’s praise.

“Doesn’t matter. We will be checking them anyways, may as well see if they are criminals as well. ALL SOLDIERS! MOVE OUT!” He shouted his orders before kicking his horse’s stirrups.

Everyone followed suit as they headed towards the flickering campfire in the distance.

                 

                  

It was about an hour later that they should up to a small campsite. Which was a surprise to Loren.

Most groups tended to travel larger than what she was seeing. Three small tents that couldn’t hold more than two people each. She was also surprised to see this mousy dirty woman in these blue leather rags awake by herself. The only thing fancy about her was her walking staff the laid across her lap.

“What-ho good traveler. Where are you headed?”

“Good evening sir paladin. My name is Anna Gardener. It is a pleasure to see you out patrolling tonight. We are travelers from afar heading towards the capital.”

        

“*TSK* called it.” Mikhail said in a whisper for their group to hear.

“Thank you maiden, you can rest assured that we are out tonight.”

“I do already.” This Anna bumpkin told their squad leader.

“So where are you traveling from.”

“Umm…… The farthest that one of us is from is the City of Port Gramrim.”

“Oh wow! You guys are from a far ways away then. Traveling all the way from The other side of Thibes, to get to the center of Falaris. You guys must be wary.” Commented Reginald.

“Well yes, could say that. It has been quite a journey. We’re on out last bit of rations and funds as it is. So, that is why we’re out here in the open now.”

“Ah! Yes. The harshness of traveling. Do you have another companion to keep watch with you? It is dangerous to do a night watch alone.” Loren’s squad leader warned the old maid.

“Well, I did. But he had to……” The woman looked around like she was searching for someone. “…You know… relieve himself?” She said in a whisper.

Loren felt a twinge on the side of her head. From that lie.

Huh? Why lie about that?

“Ah! I see. Well then we should be going. Good luck with your—“

“Umm… Major, wouldn’t be a shame to just leave this poor woman unprotected as she was before her companion comes back?” Suggested Mikhail.

“Yes Major, it would be rude and irresponsible of us to just leave this poor traveler alone before her companion returned. Maybe we should wait here until they come back.” Roger agreed.

Loren scoffed at what she heard.

She didn’t even need her powers of the Light to tell her that these two were just lying through their teeth.

“Major Conrad, Sir Roger and Sir Mikhail are—“

“Yes, Loren Truthbringer, yes. I know, they are just boys being boys. And no!” He turned to yell at them. We do not have time for your frivolous indulgences!” He shouted at the two. He then looked back at the poor pathetic woman named Anna. “Are you sure you would not like us to stay here until they return? While my men had less than honorable intention: most likely wanting to raid whatever is in that pot of yours; which smells delicious by the way. I do hope you can forgive their forward behavior.”

The woman breathed a sigh of relief.

“Not at all. That is alright. And… in fact. Why don’t you take it.” The woman stood up, to bend over and picked up the pot.

The eyes of everyone of their squadron started to murmur.

“Are you sure ma’am? You just said that—“

“I know sir paladin. But I am also honored to have you guarding these fair roads from any sort of orc attacks or such.”

“Well… If you don’t mind, we would—“

“How did you know we were looking for orcs?” Loren asked the woman.

The woman had a moments flicker of surprise on her face, but it was schooled over quickly.

Not bad old lady.

“Well? Why else would you be out here on this part of the road near the marshlands, besides to capture bandits or orcs? Makes sense to me.”

More lies.

“Is there a problem Truthbringer?” Asked her major.

She looked at him with wide eyes.

Yes you idiot! You! Don’t just reveal that!

She looked back at the woman, who had equally wide eyes for a moment before she schooled her features.

“No major, nothing. Just this woman seems to be good at making guesses.” She told him cryptically.

“I see. Well,” Major Conrad looked towards Anna and said to her. “While I do appreciate the gesture. We are in a hurry with our patrols, so we mustn’t delay.”

“”AUGH!”” Major?!” A couple of his fellow paladins and soldiers complained.

“Enough!” He tells them firmly. “We’re leaving.”

“Sir paladin! Wait! I…”

“Hmm? Yes? What is it?” He asked the woman named Anna that called out to him.

“If you would, I would be honored if you did me and my group a favor. I am not sure how much this stew might be worth to you all. But if you would be so kind, spare some coins for us as trade for the stew!” She pleaded.

Loren narrowed her eyes. The woman lied about the part about feeling honored. But everything else was true.

Why is she lying about stupid things? And why try and keep up here when we are about to leave? Is she in trouble?

Loren was looking towards the tents to see if she could spot something, but couldn’t with the flaps closed.

“Hmm… I suppose.” Major Conrad said thoughtfully. “We have been traveling for a few days now…” He turned to look at the hopeful eyes of his troops before letting out a sigh. He looked back at the Anna woman. “Alright, we’ll take it.”

“”YES!”” A chorus of cheers rang out from the squad, with the exception of the Truthbringer herself and their squad leader.

Conrad handed over two solid gold coins.

“For the pot as well.” He told her. He looked back at his men. “Men! Tonight we feast!”

“”HURRAY!””

He looked down at the burnet woman.

“Thank you for your hospitality.”

“And thank you for your service and your patronage.” Anna told him. “May the light bless you.”

“And may the Light bless you in turn.” He looked back at them after handing over the pot to Roger. “MOVE OUT!”

With that their squadron started moving again down the road.

Loren looked back with narrow eyes as she road forward on her steed, away from the woman who was waving at their departing figures.

“What do you think Truthbringer?” Her major asked her as he road up alongside her.

She turned to him with her eyes still narrowed.

“Why did you even mention I was a Truthbringer? Why bring that up? That put the woman on edge.” She scolded her superior officer.

He gave a shrug.

“She was just a traveler right? No question about that?”

“………………” She was quiet before she answered. “I suppose. The story she said about them being from as far as Gramrim checked out. But her companion going to shit was a lie.”

“Truthbringer, you know that your ability works too well, right? She was obviously lying about that. And I didn’t need your ability to tell me that. We don’t know there circumstances, but she might have wanted the nightshift alone, or maybe her friend was taking a dump, and her not saying it out right, is probably what triggered your powers. You know there are multiple things it reacts to.”

“But none more stronger than a lie!” She argued.

“Okay, fine. Maybe she lied about that. But, hey! That is her and their business. They were not committing a crime in lying to us. Remember that. Sometimes, even good people lie to protect those they care about.” Conrad told his initiate.

Loren looked down at the reins in her hand and felt small.

“Hey, don’t worry about it. Was there anything else she lied about?”

“………………it… it was more like what she told the truth on. She knew we were out hunting for orcs sir.”

“Big deal, like you mentioned earlier: lucky guess.”

“But she lied about guessing.”

“………………………….”

That did bring the Major up short.

“Well… Anything else?” He asked her.

“She lied about feeling honored and about the lights blessing upon you.”

“Well… while rude to say that and not mean it. It is not a crime to not be a believer in the Light. So I can let that pass. And hey! Maybe she was just giving lip service. Doesn’t mean she has nefarious intent.”

“I suppose that is true.” She agreed. “But I still don’t like the fact that she lied about that… how could she have known?”

“…Hmm… Maybe she is a mage? She did have that staff with her. She could possibly be someone working for the tower.”

“UGH! The tower… anyone but them!” Loren groaned in disgust.

“Right?! Mages! Who needs them! Hahaha!”

Loren shook her had at her squad leaders laugh. Smiling herself at the thought of the self-centered mages.

Maybe Major is right. Maybe I am just being hypersensitive.

Almost sensing her thoughts, Conrad tells her.

“And we only have a week until we turn around. So we can just find them later on the road. They are on foot after all.

“That is fair.” She agreed.

Thus concluded their encounter with the mysterious traveler.

                    

————————————————-

                                           

Anna breathed a sigh if relief as she slumped onto the log she was using as a seat.

“…Whoo! That was a close one…” She said in relief.

             

“Boy I’ll say!” Harks said in shock. “I can’t believe that bought all that mammoth crap, especially with a Truthbringer in their midst! Hahahahaha!”

“Yeah Anna. That was real close.” Lilian said firmly. “Almost messed up there with the part where the Truthbringer catching on to the fact you knew why they were here. But otherwise, good job Shaman.” Lilian said with a proud smile.

Anna felt so happy at Lilian’s words that she didn’t bother to stop herself.

She threw her arms around Lilian’s neck.

“Huh?— Wha?— Anna?!—“

“I love you my Warchief.” Anna told her. “Thank you… this is the first time you called me by my title and meant it. Thank you!”

          

Lilian was shocked by this revelation. But she felt a crooked grin spread across her face as her heart warmed from Anna’s touch. She loved the feeling of Anna back in her arms once again.

She closed her eyes as she wrapped her own arms around her, soaking in her warmth as much as possible as she felt Anna close to her.

But as she opened her eyes slowly. She saw the smirks of her fellow soldiers around her. Which made her feel exposed and weak at their gazes. Like she was caught doing something she shouldn’t do.

So she distangled herself from Anna quickly. Which made Anna have a hurt expression on her face.

“We— *COUGH* —We need to get moving. We need as much distance as possible. So we should probably do what those Falaris soldiers are doing. Using as much time as we can so we can get to Falaris castle sooner. This way, we are always on the move the same time as they are. Then we won’t run into this problem again.” She told her group.

“Let’s move. We can sleep later this afternoon.” Lilian informed everyone.

This was only received with understanding groans.

13