Chapter 32 – Meaningful Experience
347 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Chosen Ones slowly expanded their Nuke distribution network to Grandebelle's suburb, Challebon. Proper use of their charitable organization, the Hands of Light, was critical to their success there. They couldn't distribute Nuke if they couldn't find any customers, after all, and the charity was ideal for connecting the Chosen Ones to spiritually-minded people who could be convinced to try their drug.

The Hands of Light spread the word that they wanted to hire absolutely anyone who was willing to work hard, and they immediately set their new recruits to the difficult task of bringing Challebon's homeless the help they needed. Challebon was full of destitute families, but the presence of the Hands of Light gave the people there hope for change.

Sale of Nuke in Challebon was slow to get off the ground, but the Hands' excellent reputation and high level of community engagement ensured the number of people willing to try the addictive and powerful drug was growing steadily over time. The kind-hearted Hands of Light administrator Kay stayed in Challebon for a few months helping the distribution division set up their operations. Once she was satisfied with the project’s growth and stability, she returned home to the Hands of Light in Grandebelle.

Kay had a natural talent for building organizations, but her true passion was for working with people in need. Every day she was separated from her home shelter in Grandebelle, she grew more and more worried about the homeless people who lived there. She was delighted when she came home to find them all happy and healthy, and she got back to her normal routine in no time.

One day, Kay got a call from a young man named Leon. His high school required him to volunteer for twenty-five hours before he could graduate, and he wanted to know if the Hands of Light had some work for him and his friends to do.

"Oh, yes," said Kay excitedly. "We'd love to have you! Our shelter offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner services for the homeless, and the more help we can get, the better! If you want to apply, please come by and get applications for all of your friends to fill out!"

Before long, Leon and his friends Ace, Mona, Casey, and Missy were all working hard at Kay’s shelter. They never complained once, even when they were cleaning toilets or doing other menial tasks. The teens met the twenty-five hours of volunteer work needed to complete their project in a matter of weeks, and didn't stop going to the shelter after that. They seemed to derive a sense of fulfillment from helping people, and soon they were spending almost all of their free time volunteering with Kay.

Leon's grandfather was very proud of him for putting so much effort into helping the community. He developed a new sense of respect for the soft-spoken teenager who was growing into a man before his very eyes. Kay was equally impressed by how hard the high-schoolers worked, and she decided to give them more responsibilities at the shelter. Leon and his friends welcomed the challenge.

The five teens helped order supplies and set up shift schedules, organized a reading program for homeless kids, ran cooking demonstrations, taught life skills classes, whatever Kay asked them to do, they did with enthusiasm. They made a great team, and they felt like their work was making the world a little bit better. That is, until Leon and Missy started to notice that something strange was going on at the shelter.

The homeless shelter Kay ran was part of the Chosen Ones' recruitment division. They fed anyone who came in for their breakfast, lunch, or dinner services, but only sheltered those willing to become a member of their organization. In fact, the number of homeless people willing to commit to joining the Chosen Ones was remarkably small, and there were over twenty vacant beds at Kay's shelter. Once they realized this, the curious teenagers started getting suspicious that maybe their hard work wasn't really helping anyone.

"Guys, you need to check out these pamphlets! I told you these people were sketchy!" whispered Missy. "Follow me. I'll show you in the break room."

The teenagers quickly discovered there was much more to the Hands of Light than they could have ever imagined. The charity had a bizarre spiritual bent, and seemed to be offering everything from free psychiatric testing to job placement services. The strangest thing they found in the pamphlets was the continual mention of something called 'Spirit Death.' They started to wonder if the Hands of Light were a cult of some kind.

Kay happened to overhear the teenagers' discussion, and felt obligated to defend the organization she'd dedicated her life to. She explained that Spirit Death was a metaphor for spiritual ignorance, and that the Hands of Light were dedicated to helping humanity overcome it. After demonstrating her psychic powers, Kay told the five teens that there was much about the world they didn't understand, but that she could help them learn if they gave her a chance.

6