Chapter 55 – Erica’s New Office
215 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After her long night of drinking, Miss Planner woke up early the next day none worse for the wear. She took a quick shower, changed into some office wear, smoked some Rampage, and headed off to the Tower of the Chosen for another exciting and fun-filled morning. She found herself getting worked up just thinking about it.

"All righty, this is the plan," said Miss Planner to herself, with a wide grin on her face. "I'll make Erica into the perfect manager. Just look at her! She spends every waking minute doing everything she can to help her friends and coworkers... It's really admirable. Once she learns the ropes, I'll set up a special job for her and have her babysit the rest of the analysts for me... it's about time I move onto bigger and better things, anyway."

Miss Planner arrived at the immense Tower of the Chosen and went straight to the front gates. A security guard opened the door and let her inside. As always, the building was covered in banners, posters, and signs hand-made by fanatical acolytes. A group of young boys outside the main entrance of the tower had a large cart filled with cans of paint, and they were cleaning up damaged sections of the wall one patch at a time.

"Ahh, nice! New paint! This place is going to look perfect in no time!" said Miss Planner happily. She walked up the stairs and passed through the lobby, which was littered with colorful pamphlets that preached the word of the Chosen to anyone who would listen. She continued to the elevator and went to the manager's offices on the thirtieth floor.

Erica wasn't at her new desk. Miss Planner asked the managers if anyone had seen her. None had. She gave up and gave the timid girl a call.

"Hey. It's Miss Planner. Where are you?"
"Umm... I'm with the rest of the analysts, working on some new ideas..."

"Did you forget? You're supposed to be in your new office doing leadership training. Did you do your online courses yesterday?"
"I did do them... but I did them from this computer..."

"Oh, dear. We're giving that desk to someone else tomorrow. I'm coming down to help you grab all your stuff and take it up here right now. Turn off your computer and unplug it."
"Okay. I'm sorry... I'll see you soon then."

Miss Planner hung up the phone with a sigh. She hadn't expected Erica to need so much hand-holding.

"Boring. It's boring when people don't follow instructions."

The tiny tyrant's good mood was thoroughly ruined. She paced back and forth to cool off, her shoes clicking loudly against the tile floor. Once she relaxed a little, she went down to the analyst's offices and helped Erica put together her possessions for transport upstairs. The poor girl looked terrified as Miss Planner grabbed her things and roughly crammed them into big paper bags that were easier to carry than anything Erica could manage to find on her own. Miss Planner effortlessly carried the heavy computer equipment herself. The larger Erica struggled with the rest and had to make another trip.

When they finished with the transfer of goods, Miss Planner forced Erica to introduce herself to the managers on the thirtieth floor, the people who Erica would be shadowing and learning from as she transitioned to her new job. The meek Erica had Miss Planner do most of the talking but made certain to smile and nod and say something to each of the managers, no matter how she came across, to avoid offending any of them. She could feel a cold sweat begin to break out on her forehead as she struggled to pretend she was excited about her new job. The managers listened politely, nodding and looking annoyed all the while.

"Welcome aboard. I wish you well, and I hope the learning curve won't be too steep for you," said one of the managers. He didn't sound very happy about having to take care of a newcomer. His name was Tempter, and he worked in the distribution division.
"Thank you for having me," replied Erica with a squeak.

"When her training is finished, Erica will be working in the research division," explained Miss Planner. "I hope you and your colleagues can help her get up to speed quickly."

Tempter nodded dismissively. Miss Planner took Erica to her next mentor, Ray, a stubborn Chosen manager for the production division who rose from the rank of acolyte. He was known for being an expert at getting things done and staying focused no matter how many distractions surrounded him. He didn't like seem to Erica any more than Tempter did, but Miss Planner made no attempt to defend her protégé's competence. She had faith Erica would grow into a great manager and prove her doubters wrong, no matter what they said about her in the meantime.

"Now that we've introduced you to your new neighbors, let's get to work. You're going to learn from the best today... so I hope you pay close attention!" said Miss Planner with a smile on her face. She guided Erica back to the elevator and took her down to the labs in the Tower's basement. It was time to show little Erica how the rest of the research division spent their time.

4