Chapter 78 – Taming the Beast
166 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The lights to the office clicked on and the puppet's eyes slowly rolled in its plastic skull. The strange little girl kneeled in front of it and smiled.

"Good morning, my little friend! It's a fine, fine day to be alive. I'm going to put your thought process back to normal now, okay?"

"Ggh..."

'Soul Snake.'

It took a few minutes for the puppet to recover enough to get a grasp on its surroundings. It was sitting in an office chair across from the little blonde girl. He got a good look at her for the very first time. She wasn't actually a little girl. She was just a little on the shorter side. She was a stunningly beautiful young woman in her late twenties with a quiet, pleasant demeanor. She had long, flowing blonde hair that fell down to the middle of her back. She was dressed in a black business suit, her blouse and skirt pressed and perfect.

"It's going to be another busy day... I'm trying to smooth out our Nuke manufacturing process to reduce the amount of mistakes we're making."

"Nuke... mmmmanufrrgggh..."
"Hey! You can talk! That's great!"

The blonde woman leaned forward in excitement, causing her jacket to slide open slightly.

"You know, this Nuke stuff can wait... it's important, but it's not urgent, if you know what I mean. So let's chat. I bet you have plenty of questions you want to ask me."
"I... I dooo."

"Why don't you start by telling me your name? Ah. I don't know if you remember, but my name is Planner. I'm a manager for the Chosen Ones."
"I... I... ah... ammmm.... Ghoooost Woooalgh. Annnimalll Brogghher... hooood."

"Excellent! It's a pleasure to meet you, Ghost Wolf. You got the hang of using the voice box really fast! I'm quite impressed. It's perfectly capable of reproducing the full range of human vocalizations, but consonants can be a little tricky. Try to think of it like your mouth if it was positioned in your chest..."
"Tee... gee.... kee... bee... ree... hee.... lee... shooo... ooooh..."

"Exactly like that! Yes! You're a fast learner!"
"Ah... I... I... hah... uhh...wah... uwoh... geh. Eerrr... rrragh. Tatata. Kakaka. Thathatha. Bababa. Nanana. Shashasha. Lalala. Wha... whoa... oh. Guggghh... eee... aaah..."

"Ooookay! Great job. Can you tell me a little bit about yourself? Maybe you could use words that are easier to pronounce. Do you want to give it a try?"
"I... cannnn... tellll you. I was the leaderrrrr... of a gang. But... they turned onnnn meeee... and... threw meeee... in Well's Creeeeek. A home... for the... insane."

"That must've been very scary."
"I... I... was allll alone. No one came... to seeeee me... for two years. But I got out... I learrrrnnned... that the gang... fellll aparrrrt. They hated... each other. They hated me. My life... ended."

Ghost Wolf stopped talking and sat still. The blonde woman, Planner, waited respectfully for him to continue with a gentle expression on her face.
"You... saved me. Nowwwww... I owe you. Right?"

"I helped you because you needed help. That's all. And I'm going to keep helping you. Your new body needs regular maintenance or it'll fall apart, and I'm the only one capable of doing it."
"Thaaank yooouuu..."

"I know that being forced into this wasn't exactly your choice, but we're going to make the best out of it, alright? Things might be hard for you for a while. But I'm going to stick with you. I won't abandon you. I promise."
"Y-yesss. Thank you, Plannnerrrrr."

"We are a team now. We're partners. There's no need to be nervous around me, okay? I'm the friendliest and nicest girl in the entire world. I'm not going to hurt you. Not ever."
"You are... kind. You're... a very... nice... person."

"Hehehe. Thanks. Was there anything you wanted to ask me about?"
"Your... powers."

"I'd be happy to tell you everything. I have a unique ability called 'Soul Snake.' It lets me move my aura around like an invisible arm... and I can use it to alter people's bodies, minds, and even souls. I used it to transfer your soul into a piece of pottery I made... and then, I used it again to put you inside the customized mannequin you're in now. My powers aren't very flashy, but I can do things nobody else is capable of."
"Am I... the first?"

"No, not the first. I attempted to preserve the souls of three people before I met you... people on the brink of death. I succeeded in putting only one of them inside a body like that one. Unfortunately, her soul wasn't as strong as yours. She passed away... she left us the very first night after I transferred her. It's not something I'm proud of..."
"Ohhhh..."

"If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have the knowledge to create your new body. So her death wasn't in vain. I want to use my power to save many more people in the future... and you've already become a huge part of that. You're living proof that my work is headed in the right direction. I'm so glad I found you, Ghost Wolf."
"I... want to help you."

"Oh, that's wonderful! I couldn't be happier to hear you say that!"
"You saved me. It's only right... that I help you. I'm... going to work hard for you."

“Thank you, Ghost Wolf. I can already tell our future together is going to be very bright."
"I'll... be here... for as long as... you need me. Whenever, whatever... I'm yours."

4