Chapter 3: Getting A Grip on The Situation At Hand
62 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yowa was in a very precarious predicament. He was the sole remaining Demon King of Gehenna as far as Kei was informed and that meant he now had a load of responsibilities that were dumped on him without question.

“I guess old Daddy didn't really consider what would happen if he gave a human his power.” Kei seemed to not care about the nervous wreck of a middle aged man that stood behind her, as they were in front of a closet sized mirror. “Come on! Smile! Your new life begins! You'll kill evil, take out heretics and all that stuff that grown ups do!”

“How can you say anything like that with a straight face. Are you listening to yourself?” Yowa was drenched in a cold sweat and attempted to hide his shaking hands in his pockets. “This isn't like I'm taking a Santa coat of some dead guy as I scared off of the roof you know. This is serious. I can't be a King, let alone become a Demon King!”

“Well you're the Demon King now. The rest of them were all annihilated by a group of wretched heroes calling themselves The Hand of God! They are total meanies and will stop at nothing to destroy everything you will hold dear.”

“None of 'that I hold dear' has got to do with anything you're babbling on about kid. I'm a no one. Nobody, less than speck on the grand scheme of things.” He pleaded in a failed attempt to convince her he wasn't interested in what she was babbling about.

“You were worth my old daddy's power isn't that enough?” She responded as she turned around and found she was pouting. She had puckered her lips and Yowa gave a rolling of his eyes.

“You've got to stop with these obnoxious looks of being cute, kid. I didn't save anyone! I 'died' for some reason I didn't even mean to get involved in!”

Kei huffed as she readjusted her skirt and dangerous fuzzy black coat companion, and looked up to his face as he looked back down with a sneer crawling across his mouth.

“Then let me prove something to you. Then you'll believe me? Right?” This didn't sound like a threat, though he had a impulse to quickly run away. “A Demon King looks human, but that's just to blend in. When you died, so did your humanity you know. You honestly think you can back to the way things were?”

“I've had enough of this," he said with agitated annoyance, "just get out of my life already.” He began to scoot her towards the apartment open apartment door and she turned around before he could get her out of his place.

“You're going to be attacked! Stalked! Targeted! Let me help you at the very least, let me show you!”

“I've not interest in this outright stupidity. I am no one do you hear me? I don't care and I never wanted to save anyone. Now leave me alone!”

Yowa made to close the door when she was outside of his apartment when she grabbed him by the scruff of his collar and threw him at the opposing wall. She kicked the door close which nearly blew it off the hinges and made a rather intimidating stance to block his path from escaping her. “What is wrong with you!” He snarled at the girl.

“You just don't get it. It's not like I wanted to ruin your life of being a dull and average, ignorant people. I can't stand the sight of people like you. You think you're simply living your life at your own whim?” Kei wasn't putting on a show this time and no means of sadness in her big eyes. In fact, it looked more like outright rage. “I want nothing more than to rip my father's tongue from your mouth and end your existence right here, right now, but I can't. Daddy chose you, regardless of how you feel or what you think, he chose you to pass his power onto.”

“I get you're upset but this has nothing to do with me! Your father made a mistake, I'm a thirty years old guy that bakes bread at the local deli! Who the hell would care about my stupid life? I'm the one in control here, not some fantastical being that made a stupid choice!” He really didn't mean to say anything so harsh, but yet again, here he was spouting vulgar insults like it was only natural.

“You...fine. You think you can go back to your human life? How about I show you want you've become? That flimsy husk of a body merely protects your true self, the power he bestowed upon you has made you god among these insects you call 'normal life'! You will understand beginning NOW!” Before he even had time to really process what she was even saying, Kei lunged with a crackle of sound behind her and grabbed his head and slammed it against the wall. “Allow me to shatter your silly delusions then.”

“Whoa hey now, this isn't how I meant...I mean, come on, just calm down!” Is what he tried saying as she grabbed the top part of his hair.

 She proceeded to jab her hand inside his mouth and grabbed 'his' tongue, and squeezed with a vengeance. It made him twitch with the unpleasant grip of what he could only compare to was death. Her hands were also freezing cold and felt a lot like when he first noticed how numb his mouth felt.

“!!” He grabbed at her arm and she flexed slightly and he squinted in pain. He could barely handle the vice like strength she maintained.

“I just want a daddy. That's all. I want someone who will love me for who I am, not for my body, not for my power, me! If that means you have to learn who you are yourself then so be it!” She squeezed even harder as she twisted his tongue around and he could only make a gurgling gasp. “Release the taint of which the devoured hath stolen, show me who you are my King!” The room grew incredibly hot as he noticed a faint burning smell of what he could immediately tell was hair. She raised her hand and a large magic circle warped around her palm and glowed a menacing hot purple. She then aimed it at his face and uttered, “Confront!”

A massive wave of heat hit him so hard he felt like his skin was going to burn off. His whole face began to blister as the heat only intensified and then realized his whole body was breaking out in sores and blood blisters. It was as if his very blood was boiling and all he could do was make muffled sounds of confusion.

“This heat is the flames of Gehenna! It will burn away your human shell! Accept me, and accept your duties as King, Yowamushi!” He could literally see his skin charring and bone appear underneath yet felt no pain. He could feel the heat and the bizarre sensation of his skin being eaten by flame, yet there was no pain to be felt. The wall totally broke apart and the entire room burst into flickering black and red bellows of smoke. She then yanked his face to see a opened wide maw of abyssal black, and threw him into a portal she summoned with a flick of her wrist. 

From what he could tell, she had burned him pretty badly to the point he couldn't feel anything. In the inky darkness of the strange portal she had opened seemed to not allow any light from the other side, if a side could be called that in where he was. For some reason he found himself unable to speak for the life of him nor open his mouth, seeing if there was anything left to be called a mouth after that whole tantrum that demon girl's major league like pitch had thrown him into where he was now.

He tried getting up several times but simply tumbled back down to the glossy feeling, smooth ground and he thought it was more of a floor than simple earth. Was he in some sort of building? Even though he could barely move and he felt like it was a lot like when one's leg would fall asleep, only to attempt to stand and lose all feeling instead.

“Stop resisting already.” Came a oddly calming voice from somewhere which was, obviously, nothing he could see where it was emitted, as it was. “Are all humans this stubborn? She really has it out for you, you sad thing you.” Though he was unable to speak, he tried to focus on himself as the feeling of panic began to well up inside. He felt horribly wrong for some reason and a sound of something like the crackling of bubble wrap made itself known to him by a dangerous amount of closeness. “You can't see can you? That's because you're within the darkness of your mind. It's actually quite clear where I'm at. You look horrible by the way. Looks like she really meant to put you into some misery. Tell me, can you feel anything at all?”

Yowa was unable to say anything to which the voice seemed to chuckle at. The faint sound of something ripping like a wet cloth reached his ears and made him clench his jaw. It wasn't not painful, though it felt unnatural.

“Oh right. You can't yet. How silly of me. Well not to alarm you any further, allow me to tell you the position you're in.” She paused for a moment and then continued, “You've been stripped of your human shell basically. You're nothing but a figment of your own conscience at this very moment. Anything you feel is entirely based off of what you think you're experiencing. In short, your body is reconstructing itself as we speak.”

That left a harsh sense of panic in his gut, though then he realized something seemed to be happening to him that he didn't quite register at the same time either. Did she say something about him being 'stripped of a human shell'? That certainly did not sound good in any way,

Something about himself he did begin to notice: As he wasn't able to tell which way was up, down, or anything else, he felt like he was actually able to move better, stronger almost. Though that worried him more than pleased him, as the unknown woman's words echoed within his head.

“Don't get so worried. I think it's time you opened your eyes for once.” Something grabbed him by the arms and prosed into a sitting position, and his face felt incredibly hot. Unlike the flames from before, it had a squirming feeling that made him without a doubt, grossed out.

“Happy birthday, you're reborn into this world as your true nature intended.”

Now really not liking that statement by any means, he could feel the heaviness of his eyelids lighten, and actually saw the blood-veins behind them as a light source made itself known. He tried to tighten his face to relieve some pressure that suddenly mounted itself all over his head and that alone felt horribly wrong. Slowly but surely, he could feel his eye lids lift and a blurry scene of some kind presented itself. Though it sure was hazy, he looked around regardless as his curiosity was rather peaked at the moment.

“Hmph.” Was that him? It sounded like it came from him. His vocal cords seemed awfully scratchy, like he needed water to drink to lighten the sheer amount of strain being put on them. “Where...where am...I?” Yowa's eyesight finally cleared but what he saw was of the most average of scenes. He was in his apartment once more. It seemed everything was in a neat order and nothing was out of place. “Why...” A horrible headache wracked him in the temples and he clutched at his head from onset of random pain. Though something was not right as his own hands felt incredibly rough, like they were almost like...covered in some kind of hard material?

“Wow, look at you.” He blinked several times to make sure he wasn't imagining things. “I guess that human skin of yours wasn't as easy to wear as I thought.”

“What did you do...to me...” It came out as a throaty rumble and it hurt his throat just saying a full sentence.

“Well our little Kei went a little over board. She released your 'form' a little to quickly and now...well, let's just say you're not going out any time soon looking the way you are.” That alarmed him and now that he was able to focus as he looked down at his chest First problem: he was stark naked and that wasn't something he liked to think of being in front of someone else. The unease swelled however when he saw his whole body was covered in some sort of white metallic scales with a sheen that disturbingly reminded him of some kind of shiny armor. “You've at least, er, maintained a human shape. Though you're a bit...well. Better to see for yourself I assume.” Yowa was unable to see what was talking to him, much like when Kei had first appeared out of thin air. All he really knew it wasn't Kei talking to him, but then again, who was? A mirror of some sort floated in front of him and he had to really consider his life choices after another revelation hit him like a brick.

He looked human, but it was if his whole body had become covered in transparent like scales, hence the shine he saw. That and the things on his head stuck out of his forehead which he could only assume were horns. They curved forward in a sharp angle as the part that connected to his face blended into his cheek bones, giving him a skeletal like face with sunken eyes. The material he wasn't sure about, as it was tinged a dark red with black mottle at the roots of the horns.

“What in the hell did you do to me!” He screamed at his ghastly reflection when he came to his sense of situation.

“Calm down, jeez. This is your humanoid form anyways, though I'm not sure your beast form would be much better for you to see. So cut it out already." He used his scaly hand to feel abrasive prickles on his cheeks. Yowa then looked numbly at his creepy elongated hands and his nails were a dark blackish red, though like a human they were rather normal, other than being slightly pointed at the tips.

“You'll grow another human skin, trust me. She just took it a little too far and burned off all of it at once. You can't die per say, but you're human form sure as hell won't recover as fast.”

“This...this isn't happening. What have you done?” He made to get off the bed and fell over, something long and trailing followed from behind and curled up underneath his belly. Yowa glanced to his back side and found a tail coming out from his spine. “What the actual duck! Is that a damn tail?!” The womanly voice seemed amused by all this and he growled in a deep throaty rumble despite himself.

“You humans are so easy to surprise. This is nothing compared to us however. You'll get use to it.”

“Used to this? Are you kidding me? How am I going to go to work like this!” He said with great displeasure. The feminine voice busted out laughing as if he had told a joke of some sort.

“Don't tell me you actually think your human life is that important? What did you do again? Bake bread?”

He muttered under his breath and once more attempted to stand on wobbly legs. His feet were also greatly changed, as they resembled more like cloven hooves that actual toes. He had toes in a sense, but there were three massive individual toes that each had the look of a hoof in place of regular human feet. He gripped the bed itself and found his claw like hands pierced the mattress.

“Shit that cost me a lot.” He carefully retracted his nails on instinct, or talons he figured, then looked around. “Where are you? You're like that kid aren't you?'

“Well, sort of. I'm what you'd call a Remnant. Sort of ah, ghost bound to a master."

“Oh god help me, let me guess. That daddy guy used you as a mistress or something idiotic like that.” He sighed and rubbed the back of his scaly neck. This was all too much to really want to even understand.

“How perceptive of you. Well anyways, you should be growing a skin back any moment now.” She seemed to know the timing of this event quite well as he experienced a inexplicable shock and shudder and discovered he was back to his human self.

“Hmhmhmhm you're not bad.” Yowa immediately felt his cheeks blush and ran for the bathroom. He was naked after all.

“Oh men and their personal feelings are so cute. I can see why Kei likes him so much.” The voice made a wispy snort like laugh and then faded away.

0