11. Roomate
80 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Lennox called her a kraken, he was coming from a time of feudal ignorance where any creature that humans don't understand is labeled as a beast. Furthermore, by using their superior tools to ferociously hunt non-human creatures, humans turn them into beasts as they turn aggressive trying to protect their home and lives against humans. Regardless, the creature now rooming with Arek in his body isn't a kraken but...an octopus, and a female at that. 

She's a light purpleish orange however her skin tone is constantly changing slightly and spots of light dance across various parts of her sleek body. Her tentacles frolic and twirl as her large orange black eyes gaze forward as her large, bulbous head bobs in the waves. 

Arek stands there, watching her as he does every night. She simply drifts, occasionally finding things here and there to fiddle with in his subconsciousness, at least he thinks that's where they are. It's a strange sort of space, like an ocean where formless things come drifting along at times. It's a terribly boring place, therefore Arek often finds himself chatting with his roommate, ignoring the fact that she probably can't understand any of his words.

"I watched a documentary about you once, My Octopus Teacher...well, not you specifically but your species. It was with my dad actually, the last thing we did before he...Anyway, I heard that you're actually really friendly and energetic."

Naturally, she doesn't respond, just drifting. 

"I read somewhere that octopuses need to be constantly engaged, they're not ones to be bored or still." She continues drifting along as if in defiance of his words. Arek's voice increases in pitch, almost cracking. 

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I know it's me. If not for me you never would have been murdered and forced into a human body to become a killer, a monster." Arek is aware that some of what he's saying is irrational and things he didn't have control over but it can't stop him from feeling responsible for what this majestic creatures has to go through. 

"My dad...he would always talk about scuba diving and actually seeing you in person for once...but we never got to do it. Who knew I'd actually get to meet you...in another world and in this way." Arek cracks a laugh lathered with sarcasm. For the rest of the night, repeating the same cycle that has occurred every night since Arek's first kill and his roommate's first appearance, Arek chats with her long into the night before he has to wake and face the impending assignment looming before him. 

"Do you know, I have to kill a witch tomorrow? I don't know what that'll be like, especially since she'll have magic. I mean, I've never gone against someone like that before. It's always been useless people. But then again, I don't have to kill her, the prince never gave me a direct command." Arek barks out a laugh at this. So what if the prince didn't give me a direct command? Breaking his trust now with no plan and when there's no reason to yet is stupid, why would I do that for some random witch? Arek laughs again, not realizing how easy it is to accidentally jinx yourself. 

Yes, this chapter is super short. But I wanted to get this out fast. By the way, My Octopus Teacher is a legitimate documentary that I'd recommend. Anyway, next update we'll be meeting the witch, look forward to it! XD Also, I appreciate whoever liked/hearted the last chapter as well as the single person who voted that the pacing of the "Devil" chapter was fine. I'm going to take that as confirmation that you're fine with first person flashbacks and the pacing. And if you didn't vote or heart, I still appreciate you reading! I really am enjoying this story so don't worry, updates will come fast and I will finish writing this :)

4