Chapter 2 – Changes
489 3 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While Janie was brought to school as usual, Adam was brought by his parents for a medical checkup.

They were extremely worried for him

Overnight, he went from being over 350 pounds to around 170 now.

"Hello Mr and Mrs Donohue! What can I do for you? And who is this?" Dr Nelsen, their family doctor asked as he saw a young handsome man walk in with them, albeit in Mr Donohue's clothes which were didn't fit well.

While Mr Donohue wasn't as fat as Adam was, he was still 6 foot tall and slightly overweight at 230 pounds with a dad body.

As such, Adam still looked like he was wearing oversized clothes, though not as bad as if he wore his own clothes.

"Doctor! This is Adam!" Mrs Donohue said

"Adam? Impossible! How in the world did this happen?" Dr Nelson asked

"Er... diet I guess. I skipped dinner last night!" Adam answered

Dr Nelson didn't believe him and told him to strip.

After many tests, Dr Nelson could only give Adam a clean bill of health. 

In fact, he was a prime example of a fit man of his age!

After years of carrying around over 350 pounds of weight, his muscles were very strong.

Furthermore, as he was now much lighter, Adam felt that he could move easier and had problems adjusting, moving his hands and feet too fast.

Seeing that he was fine, Mr Donohue left them and went to work while Mrs Donohue brought Adam shopping

But what he needed most was something to eat. He was famished.

--

While all that was happening, several portals started appearing all around the world.

Strange creatures started coming out, attacking civilians and creating lots of damage.

The police in several countries managed to handle goblins or kobolds with reasonable success, but in Pyongyang in North Korea, orcs who rode on wargs managed to cause a huge amount of damage before the North Koreans wiped them out using more firepower than they needed, destroying their capital city.

At the same time, superpowered people started appearing, one shooting flames from his hands, another having the strength to throw cars, they volunteered to fight the strange creatures.

--

Adam appeared in school the next day after skipping a day for a checkup and shopping, and Janie was happily holding Adam's arm as of she was showing him off.

She was always embarrassed by her brother before, pretending not to know him even though they were in the same year. 

But now, he was a hunk!

Everyone started talking about the handsome guy with one of the school beautys on his arm when one of her friends asked loudly.

"Janie. Who is the hottie?" Amanda asked

"This...don't you remember my brother Adam?" Janie said proudly. 

"A...Adam? You're joking!" she said

Adam caused quite a stir when he entered his own class as nobody could believe it was him, even the teachers. 

They asked him questions, testing him but he quite easily proved that he was himself, except he looked completely different. 

Even during recess, while he went to sit with Linus as usual, he was surrounded by so many people, Linus was pushed away. 

He even had trouble eating his light lunch of 24 chicken wings, 7 jellys, a huge bowl of mash potatoes and another huge bowl of spaghetti bolognese.  

Everyone was just asking so many questions. And they all centered around the same thing. How did he lose so much weight overnight?

His only answer was that he dieted by skipping dinner, as that was what he did.

He even appeared in the local newspaper and local television news as he was interviewed with his before and after pictures showed everywhere. 

He became somewhat of a celebrity in his school, and one day, Lena even came up to him to ask him a question.

"Ahem... I've always wanted to ask.... what's your name?" she asked him to his extreme joy

"My....my name is Adam... Adam Donohue! I sat next to you for 3 years when were were in primary school" he answered enthusiastically. 

"Really? I never noticed" she said and continued talking

They exchanged mobile phone numbers and she was surprised that they were even neighbors as she stayed a few doors away from him, and they even used to sit in the same bus, before Adam got so fat he couldn't fit through the bus door. 

 While all this was happening, around the world, things were moving at a rapid pace.

The humans were on a back foot as multiple large creatures that were immune to firepower crossed over into the human world such as dragons, manticores, hydras and griffins. 

In Norway, a necromancer crossed over and turned Oslo into a battleground of their army against the army of the undead!

Some countries like France and Germany organized their superhuman forces and helped Norway fight their undead.

However, others like China had actually captured their superhumans and had done experiments on them. 

As such, after 2 months, they had produced soldiers with equipment that could imitate the powers of their superhumans!

However, such weapons came at the cost of energy crystals found in the heads of the monsters from the other world. 

And thus, they aggressively entered the three portals in their country, attacking and harvesting the monsters they faced and producing more weapons. 

With the success of the Chinese program, other countries started emulating them. 

All their superhumans were arrested and experimented on for the good of the people. Neighbors, family members turned in their superhuman friends or relatives for a cash reward. Many went into hiding. 

One day, while Adam was in class, government officials came to interview and take him away. 

Although he has not shown any powers thus far, the fact that he lost a massive amount of weight happened at exactly the same time the gates appeared, which was when all the other superpowered beings awakened their powers too. 

He was brought away, without even being able to tell his parents, in front of everyone in his class.

Janie rushed out of her class as the whole school witnessed Adam being taken away, calling her parents desperately. 

16