Chapter 25 – The Lich
498 6 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Adam has chowed down on all kinds of slimy, scaly, mushy, chewy and smelly creatures of all kinds.

He ate them right through, devouring their flesh and chomping their bones. 

But he drew the line at eating the skeletons, not because he was against eating the undead, but because they didn't look appetizing and didn't look like they would give him any abilities he would want.

He normally looked at all creatures with curiosity of what they would taste like and what abilities they had.

However, looking at skeletons was as appetizing as looking at toothpicks.

The skeletons were slow and lumbering, clanking their bones together as they walked. 

The only thing they had going for them is that there were so many of them. 

Alyssa fired her wind arrows with her bow, deciding not to use her Ulitharid powers as she took our several skeletons at once.

Adam too was not taking this seriously, trying to keep a low profile as he looked for the cause of the undead rising.

He ran down a street flailing his arms around like a windmill while Alyssa covered him jumping rooftop to rooftop.

Adam wasn't taking this seriously at all but still managed to clear the street he was on.

From a distance, they could see the many Adventurers that had gathered at the guild hall and were banding together to fight off the huge army of skeletons attacking them.

Bentley the guildmaster was leading the defense, his large sword flashing as he chopped through two skeletons at once and defended with his shield. Adam had overheard that he was am A Rank, and it shows.

He was leading the odd mix of adventurers, but besides a few high ranked adventurers who coordinated well with the guild master, the rest were brawling rather than fighting strategically, ignoring the guild master's orders.

And then there were adventurers who were fighting here and there individually or in small groups of twos and threes. They were all fighting to get to the guild hall where they can band together and defend at one location rather than be picked off individually.

There were skeletons coming out of houses, swords bloody after butchering the inhabitants inside, and there were dead adventurers on the roads, who died on the way to the guild hall.

Suddenly, one of the houses nearby exploded as a skeletal looking mage in black tattered robes levitated into the sky.

"A lich!" Alyssa gasped as she paused for a moment, instinctively reacting in fear. 

Adam wondered why she was suddenly hesitant. 

The lich had a vile death aura all around it and it was levitating a family below it.

There was a mother, two teenage sons, a young daughter and a baby. 

The lich's aura suddenly expanded, enveloping the family. The moment the death aura touched them, they screamed in pain as they withered and turned into dust in an instant!

"Maria!" one of the highly ranked adventurers yelled and charged blindly with tears in his eyes.

"Tetros! No!" Bentley yelled, but he couldn't stop the man in time as the man charged through the skeletons, not caring for the injuries the skeletons were inflicting on him.

The lich didn't even move as the man leaped into the air and attacked it. But when Tetros' body touched the death aura, it caused him to wither and turn into dust in an instant together with his sword and clothing!

The adventurers fought hard to get to him, but everything happened so fast that the man Tetros' body was already dust before they could follow him. 

"Bastard!" Bentley yelled as he fought furiously to avenge his friend, smashing three skeletons with each swing of his sword, but there were just too many skeletons in the way.

The skeletal mage looked at the adventurers and gave a creepy laugh as it levitated towards Bentley menacingly.

Several archers fired arrows at the mage, but it's death aura caused the arrows to wither and turn to dust before even reaching the mage.

Bentley threw his large sword at it but the sword rusted the instant it touched the lich's death aura and it disintegrated to nothingness.

It seemed the lich's death aura made it invincible!

Suddenly, out of the blue, an object fell from the sky.

*BOOM*

Adam's body crashed right into the skeletal mage, smashing most of it's body to the ground and causing an earthquake unbalancing everyone.

He had wanted to do this for a long time now.

While standing on the skeletal mage's crushed skeleton, Adam ripped off it's skull.

He closed his fist, smashing the skull like an eggshell.

The death aura dissipated leaving Adam unharmed, but his web clothing were in tatters. 

Bentley and the multitude of adventurer's looked at the half naked Adam in shock. Did the death aura do nothing to him?

Actually, his Ulitharid immunity to magic even worked against the death aura of the lich, making it less of a threat to him. 

However, the trouble wasn't over yet. 

"Watch out! A lich will keep coming back to life unless you destroy it's phylactery!" Bentley said, still not daring to come too close. 

"Phyla what?" Adam asked

"A phylactery is an object a lich places it's lifeforce into. It will not die unless it's phylactery is destroyed and it's lich body will keep regenerating until then" Bentley explained. 

Sure enough, the skull started reforming in an instant as the rest of it's skeleton started levitating and reforming. 

"Oh no you don't" Adam said, grabbing the base of the lich's spine and smashing it's skull on the floor. 

It started reforming again, but Adam just whipped it up and down like the reins of a horse.

Over and over again, the lich tried reforming. But over and over again Adam smashed it. 

"Well then, why don't you guys look for it's phy... whatever!" he said, smashing the skull yet again. 

"You heard the man! Go!" Bentley yelled as he and the other adventurers went to search for the phylactery. 

Theoretically a lich could very well hide it's phylactery on the other side of the world. 

However, a lich would usually keep it's phylactery close enough it could defend it if someone were to try to attack it. 

This was why it was more normal for a lich to have it's phylactery somewhere close by. 

"I'll be back soon" Alyssa said, shooting off to the rooftops to search for the phylactery. 

Adam kept whipping the skull every few seconds until all the adventurers left to look for the phylactery. 

He walked to the rubble of the destroyed house and squatted behind a wall to ensure no one was looking.

"Now, lets see how you regenerate from this." he said, plucking the skull off from it's spine once again and biting down on it like an apple!

8