Chapter 20: World Exposition II
308 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 20

Fae, I'm bored.

[And what would you like me to do about that Miho?]

I dunno, tell me a joke or something. The other guy hasn't bid against me again so I'm bored now.

After hearing that Fae went silent. It's not that Fae wished to be an ass to Miho, but he really was busy at the moment. Whenever they had free time Fae would try exploring the various functions of the system in hopes that he could find some sort of answer of how he got to this world and if his being here had a meaning. He couldn't tell Miho this, as she would panic and think he wanted to leave her, on the contrary, he wished to remain. That's why he needed to know if his stay her had a time limit. This is to prevent him being suddenly whisked away out of the blue, the effect this would have on the little fox girl would be disastrous. Knowing how dependent she was on his existence, one could only imagine damage it would deal to her psyche.

Remember that currently Miho had the power to contend with even the male and female protagonists, who are at the current peak in terms of power and influence, of this planet's storyline. As long as she doesn't run into anomalies like the brown cloaked man, she can walk sideways in this planet as long as she's given enough time and experience to digest what she has acquired.

If Fae suddenly vanished from her life she could die from a panic attack at best, and at worst go on a rampage killing every person; man, mother and child if they couldn't tell her where Fae went. It might sound exaggerating but one shouldn't underestimate the tantrum of a child who was brought up experiencing the cruelest sides of humanity and has had her only supporting pillar taken away from her.

Anyway, Miho had been growing bored as the only person she found fun in this place was the person from booth 12 who kept her entertained by bidding against her had stopped bidding when the price reached twenty thousand credits. She won the bid and had already sent the payment for the gun. The only thing remaining was to collect her item when the auction was over. The reason she didn't just head to collect her item and leave was because they were actually here for those two children. After she redeems them, she would leave as nothing else seems to interest her in this auction. Yes, there were a lot of good things; treasures and weapons alike but there were not too useful for her as she knew the world would soon die out. Anything she needs could be gotten from Fae through the system shop so she had nothing to fear.

Item after item passed as the open auction came to a close. The non-VIP members vacated the auction hall guided by the auction attendants. Some chose to upgrade to VIP seats to check out the items on display for the closed auction, maybe they could unexpectedly find something something interesting. One should know that not all this people had clean hearts among them were those that wanted to scout the value of an item but would not bid, instead they would send mercenaries or bandits to rob the winners of these items. This is why the Cromwell family made each VIP booth private and the identities of each person that uses them private. But even with this, these people had their own ways of locating their targets.

The lights dimmed and it almost became pitch black in the auction hall. A stage light suddenly turned on at the centre of the stage and Zi El, who no one knew when she got the chance to change her dress, was standing there in a blue evening dress with a slit at the side that ran all the way up to her thigh. She flashed an enchanting smile at the booths and make full use of her charms to allure the audience as she prepped them for the beginning of the closed off auction.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I once again welcome you all to the Cromwell's family auction and sincerely wish you success in obtaining whatever your heart desires." Zi El greeted as she curtsied to the audience.

She made sure to not add mercenaries, criminals and bounty hunters alike in her greeting as these people who could upgrade to VIP must hold some kind of status in Mirage city so she made sure not to offend them in the slightest.

"Now, for the first item." Zi El gestured as the spotlight settled on the podium where something covered with a black cloth was placed. Ripping the cloth off the item a rectangular glass container was revealed and in it was a worn out piece of paper with varying scribbles on it. "Ladies and gentlemen, before you is the last surviving map of the old continent."

As soon as those word were spoken the auction house went up in an uproar. This is understandable as detail about the old continent has long been lost to the people of aquamarine. 

What's up with their reaction Fae? Isn't it just a map?

[That's not just a map Miho. The old continent, formerly known as Telia continent, was once the capital of Aquamarine. The human civilization on Aquamarine back in their heyday were centuries ahead when compared to the civilization level of humans from my home planet called Earth. As an advance civilization, the people of Aquamarine had long united all the various countries and continents under one banner and gave themselves a new identity Union of New Aquamarine. This was a centralized system of government where the head was called the Union leader and their words superceded all other arms of the government. Due to no more cumbersome processes to be carried out before a decision is made, the Aquamarine civilization ushered in a new rush of development. They ventured into different fields of research and development based on whoever was the current head of the union, these fields of research varied from military, economy, bioengineering, space exploration etc.

Among all these, the two that were focused on more were bioengineering and space exploration. The humans of Aquamarine not being content with the their planet started to stretch their claws out into the universe. After a few years of of research and deployment of space shuttles, the residents of Aquamarine realized that even though they would no doubt be able to reach the space exploration age, the higher ups realized that they would long be dead and their future generations would be the ones to enjoy everything. Unable to give up the benefits they had, the ventured into bioengineering to find out the secrets of immortality and how to perfect themselves as race as a whole. An immortal body would be paramount in order to handle long range space exploration, this was what they told the populace, but it was really them protecting their benefits and not willing to pass them down. Unfortunately, they were unable to achieve this before an accident occured in the national research institute on Telia.]

You mean…

[Yes. The very same institute we tried escaped from. In the process of our escape we rigged the particle accelerator to explode and set off a few mini nuclear bombs to serve as a distraction, remember?]

Yes I do. You also told me after I woke up that the chain reaction caused by the explosions caused the planet's core to become unstable leading to it's shortened lifespan. Am I right?

[Hmm yeah, that's right.]

Fae could noticed that although Miho no longer talked about her past, their shared past, she still remembers everything vividly to the point of clarity. Thinking back on it now although their actions seemed to have brought about the apocalypse for this world, Fae didn't regret anything they did that day in the lab. What those scientist were doing to those children were beyond crossing the line, and Miho their first successful test subject that showed promise as she hadn't gone mad or died from their experiments attracted even more worse experiments to herself all in the name of science. I think at one point the scientists had forgotten for what reason they started the experiments and just began to indulge  their deepest and darkest desires on the test subject. Unfortunately, based on their past merits and astronomical contribution to planet Aquamarine, the union head turned a blind eye as long as the scientists achieved the desired result. That's why even if he went back in time he would still do the same thing…no, perhaps he would do worse to those creeps that acted lower than beasts.

Perhaps sensing his mood fluctuating, Fae immediately administered some emotional inhibitors from the system to itself.

[We need to get that map.]

Huh? Why?! I don't want to go back to Telia continent I still feel goosebumps when I think of all the things that happened before it was quarantined and labelled a forbidden zone.

Fae knew Miho wasn't talking about the inhumane experiments done at the national research institute at the moment because before they were able to flee the continent something terrifying had occured on Telia continent. It was an outbreak, a mother f*****g zombie virus outbreak


Hey guys, I might just drop two chapters today as this chapter had proven extremely long so I decided to split it up. I'll upload the second half as a totally new chapter when it's done. Does that count as double update?🤔

14