Chapter 35
2.8k 12 85
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tanifuji’s POV
   Tanifuji Taro, age 32, has always hated his name. His parents are potato farmers who own a small potato farm all the way in Hokkaido. His pregnant mother was harvesting the fruits of their hard labor when she found a random yam in the middle of all the potatoes. Two seconds later, her water broke, and he was born not long after that. His idiotic parents took this as some kind of divine revelation and decide to name their just-born child Taro.

   Taro was constantly bullied for having the same name as a species of yam. He has no friends at the entirety of grade, middle and high school. Everywhere he goes, he was called Taro the taro. Girls refused to talk to him since he has a plain look and a plainer name. The bullying got worse when his classmates somehow found out the origin of his name.

   “Look, it’s the human Taro!”

   “Wasn’t that his name?”

   “His ma gave birth to him after she found a yam! For all we know, his was one during his past life!”

   His parents wanted him to be a potato farmer just like them, or at least a yam farmer. Taro is having none of that. He’s not going to be the Taro who grows Taro yams. He would rather die than be humiliated like this for the rest of his life. Which is why he studied. He studied and studied and studied until he managed to get a scholarship to go into Tokyo University and study Medicine. After he has graduated, he was scouted by Director Jacques Bouchard. In just two years time, Taro became one of the director’s most trusted senior researcher.

   Director Bouchard isn’t like everyone else. He was the only one who never laughed at Taro’s name, nor did he made fun of him.

   “Your parents are right, monsieur. It’s definitely a divine revelation that you were born the moment your mother found the yam. Think of it this way. Everyone else are the commoners, the potatoes that you see everywhere. But you? You’re the yam, the special one.”

   Until this day, Taro finds the analogy extremely weird. Even so, he understood what the middle-aged man wanted to tell him, that he’s better than everyone around him. Except the director, of course. That person is special.

   When Director Bouchard first proposed his plan to his entire staff members, there were mixed reactions. Some were beyond horrified and resigned on the spot, most stayed and are willing to assist the Frenchman. Naturally, Taro is one of the latter.

   Taro wished that he could work for the great person while being near him for the rest of his life. However, he had other plans for him.

   “You will be transferred to the Harajuku Branch to be the Branch Chief there, Monsieur Taro.” he told Taro one day.

   He still remembers the despair he felt back then.

   “B-But why, sir? Don’t you trust me anymore? No, I won’t go! I refuse to leave your side!”

   For the first time ever, Taro has questioned the decision of the Director. In response to the open rebellion, Director Bouchard placed his warm hands on Taro’s shoulders.

   “Mon ami, I have chosen you as one of the Branch Chief since you’re one of the most exceptional researcher I’ve ever met. It pains me that you’re not by my side too, but the entire human race counts on such a sacrifice. Please understand.”

   So that’s what it was. The director still trusts him. He lets out a huge sigh of relief.

   “I’ll transfer to the Harajuku Branch, director.”

   “Bien. And good luck while you’re there.”

   The moment Taro got transferred to the Harajuku Branch, he made sure to work extra hard. All the researchers under him are worked extra hard too. Under his brilliant guidance, their branch has shown excellent results, bested only by the Tokyo Branch, which is overseen by Director Bouchard himself.

   The UCI has several rules regarding human experimentation, and one of them is that experimenting on them directly, that is, modifying their bodies and observe the results, are straight up forbidden. Taro decides to disregard that rule.

   So what if they have to use thousands or even tens of thousands of fellow humans to conduct their experiments? They should be thankful that the superior minds who work at the UCI actually gave them a purpose in life. So what if they died from the experiments? They wouldn’t have made a decent contribution even if they kept living anyway. Those who’re superior in strength and/or intellect gets to rule over the weak and decide their fate. This is how the world works. In the end, everyone will benefit from Director Bouchard’s research, so it’s all good.

   His subordinates were against it, at first. It was too risky. They say. Silver Wolf might come and visit, they say. What a bunch of spineless cowards. Even that armored lapdog of the government shall cower before his wonderful creations.

   When the guards found three Americans snooping around the lab, Taro was ecstatic. Another rules that he was forced to follow is that the lab rats they’re paying to be part of the experiments aren’t allowed to be imprisoned against their will. If they’re gone for too long, someone might ask questions. Taro believes that this rule will not applies to foreigners, particularly spies. Furthermore, Westerners are generally stronger than Japanese and other Asians due to their body structure. Taro would love to see the results of a good body modification that were done on them. As such, he has them captured and modified to his liking.

   Taro first saw cyborgs in a sci-fi movie when he was five. Since then, he had dreamt of making one himself. Now, his wish has finally come true. He managed to create the perfect soldiers made with flesh of humans and monsters with man-made internal organs. Their first target is, of course, Silver Wolf. That pest has gotten the attention of the director for far too long. It’s time for him to disappear.

   At least, that was the plan. Turns out that Silver Wolf is far stronger than Taro thought. The three cyborgs were scrapped without any difficulty. No matter. He has collected enough combat data from them via cameras installed inside their body.

   For now, Taro has decided to put the project to build the perfect cyborg on hold. For one thing, he ran out of guinea pigs. Normal test subjects simply can’t withstand the surgery required to transform them. He has to bide his time until more suitable fools get caught. More importantly, however, he has been doing this behind the director’s back. The director knows nothing of his plans, and Taro prefers to keep it that way. After all, he wants to give him a surprise. That person would surely shower him with praise once he has perfected the art-

  Knock! Knock!

   “Come in.”

   A female researcher comes inside. Her name was Takani, Shiramura or something. Taro never bothered to remember the names of those who’re inferior to him. He couldn’t even be bothered to sneak a glance at her name tag.

   “May I speak with you for a moment, Branch Chief Tanifuji?”

   “What is it? Can’t you see that I’m busy?” he asks impatiently.

   “I wanted to discuss with you about our Phase 2 pills-”

   “What is there to discuss? You feed the ones who’re accustomed to the Phase 1 pills, then you check their reaction. End of story.”

   “Actually, I want to talk about the dosage-”

   “ENOUGH! WE NEED RESULTS FAST, SO WE CAN’T BE STINGY ON THE AMOUNT GIVEN! NOW GET OUT AND GO BACK TO YOUR WORK!” he screams.

   “...My apologies. I’ll be taking my leave.”

   Really. These low-lives should just work as ordered instead of wasting his time by asking stupid questions. Now then, lets think of better ways to enhance the pills-

   Knock! Knock!

   Taro groans loudly. What’s with all these constant interruptions? Does he has to hold their hand every single time they do something?

   “...Come in.”

   Another female researcher comes inside his room. Whatever her name is, this one is pretty out of breath.

   “Branch Chief…Tanifuji…”

   “What is it this time? Did another lab rat collapsed? If so, just dump it outside or something.”

   “Silver Wolf…he’s outside…”

   “Silver Wolf? Are you sure it’s not an impostor?”

   “I’m very sure, sir. He made a sword appear out of nowhere.”

   “Bring me to him.” he orders.

   While heading there, Taro has a hard time on controlling himself from grinning. Finally, the perfect guinea pig is here.

   The director has told Taro that the Silver Wolf’s true identity is a high school student in his second year. Perfect. Brats his age are the easiest to manipulate. Taro bet that the Silver Wolf is all about saving the world and whatnot. He’ll convince the moving tin can that he has ways of making him stronger in order to save the world more effectively. Once the naive brat is in his hands…

   And there he is. Silver Wolf, in the flesh.

   “Are you Tanifuji Taro?” he asks Taro.

   “Indeed I am. How may I help you?”

   “I’ll get straight to the point. Are you involved in the insane body-modification of three CIA agents?”

   CIA agents? Ah. He must be talking about the three Americans.

   “You see, the three of them wanted those modifications.” Taro lies smoothly.

   “Did they now?”

   “Yes. And after the surgery was over, they went berserk all of a sudden! Did you manage to find them?”

   “Sure did. And I had to kill them.”

   Taro feigns a sigh.

   “Such a shame. They would have been the perfect guardians.”

   “Guardians? Of what, exactly?”

   “Why, this world of course! They wanted power in order to protect it. Unfortunately, they could not withstand the strain of the surgery and went insane.”

   “I see. That’s kind of sad.”

   “Indeed. Say, would you like to take the surgery as well?”

   “Me?”

   “Yes. You’re full of potential. If you let us assist you, you can fulfill your true destiny as the saviour of the world!”

   Taro made sure to look towards the ceiling and raises up his right hand for added emphasis.

   “Sounds good.”

   Wow. That actually worked. Maybe he has a talent for acting. That or the teenager in front of him is really, really stupid. It’s probably both.

   Taro spreads his arms invitingly.

   “Then join us. Join us so that you could start your epic crusade against those disgusting monsters that plague this planet!” he declares.

   “Before I agree, how safe is that surgery? Are there any other people who do it as well?”

   “There are. Unfortunately, the number has been dwindled down quite a lot.”

   “That’s kind of sad to hear.”

   “Yes. We do, after all, need as many people as we can to save everyone in this world. Most are content with just taking part in more passive ways such as getting injections and taking pills, but I’m sure that you’re braver than that.”

   Plop!

   “Now then. Enough talk. Let us begin.”

   Taro reaches out his right hand. Wait, where’s his right arm? And what’s that on the floor? Is that an arm? Whose is it-

   “AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

   Jin’s POV
   “Oh, stop screaming like a girl. My eardrums can’t take any more of those punishments.” Jin chides.

   The scientist, researcher or whatever his job is was so shocked to see his right arm being chopped off that he stumbles and fell on the floor with his behind landing first. Jin isn’t completely heartless. It would be bad if Tanifuji died from blood loss, so he made sure that the shockwave that he created when he swung Felfarthen also froze up the stump that was Tanifuji’s right arm.

   The researchers around them have mixed reactions. Two are screaming their heads off, another two have fainted, and a few others are so shocked they’re just staring wide-eyed.

   “Why are you doing something like this? Aren’t you a Hero of justice?” Tanifuji asks pitifully.

   Jin shrugs. “Who said that I was?”

   “Y-You’re crazy…”

   “I don’t want to be told that by someone who modifies innocent people into mindless cyborgs.”

   “I told you! They had the surgery voluntarily!”

   “Yeah, and my mental age is much higher than a three years-old. Just admit it already. You’re conducting illegal human experiments.”

   Tanifuji grits his teeth.

   “That’s right! What if I am? What’s wrong with using inferior breeds and using them as lab rat? They’re not much of a use with the way they were anyway!” he shouts indignantly.

   “And Jacques Bouchard is acknowledging your experiments?”

   “No. That person knows nothing of this. It was my own idea.”

   “Thought so. He’s not as talented as people think, is he?”

   Tanifuji gasps angrily.

   “How dare you! That person is akin to a God when it comes to intellect!”

   “Really? What exactly did he do?”

   “He was the one who created the creatures that you fought! I dare you to name out any other scientist who’s even partially brilliant as he is!”

   “Well I sure can’t. But I’m sure the two of you will be in deep trouble now.”

   “Do your worst with me. However, if you so much as touch Director Bouchard, I will haunt you for life!” Tanifuji snarls.

   “No need to worry. I’m a law-abiding citizen-”

   Jin remembers the severed arm at the last minute.

   “Most of the time. I’ll let the law do the rest.”

   “The law? Hah! In case you didn’t know, the PM himself is protecting us!”

   “I know. That’s why I got evidence so that even he can’t do a thing to stop you guys from getting thrown behind bars.”

   “...Evidence?”

   Jin reaches out his right hand opens up his palm. On it is a small voice recorder. Tanifuji stares at it dumbly.

   “What have I done?” he whispers.

   “You have two choices. One, I’m going to leave with the evidence while you sit there and wait for the police to arrive and arrest both you and your precious director.”

   “Like I told you just now, I don’t care what happens to me, but if you dare to-”

   “Two, try to fight me off.”

   Tanifuji scoffs. “I refuse! I’m not a savage like you.”

   “Rather, you’re too much of a weakling.” Jin points out.

   Tanifuji grits his teeth frustratingly, but didn’t say anything back.

   “If you want to stop me, you can try those stuffs you people were developing. You know, the injections and pills you mentioned to me.” Jin suggests.

   Tanifuji looks at him like he’s looking at an idiot.

   “You want me, a superior human being, to turn myself into a lab rat?”

   Jin shrugs. “After all your talk about wanting to protect Bouchard, that’s all the resolve you got?”

   Tanifuji grits his teeth and glares at Jin hatefully.

   “You scientists are all the same, all talk and no action. You blabber on and on about this is for the greater good or some other nonsense, but you refuse to take any risk yourselves. If you really want results, you should have used yourself as lab rat. I bet that would really motivate you since your own life is on the stake. But you’ll never do that since you’re nothing but a bunch of cowards, right?” Jin continues to taunt.

   Tanifuji gets up and heads off to somewhere with a really pissed-off expression. Finally. With any luck, he’ll turn into something horrendous and completely loses his humanity. Jin will then have a legitimate excuse to kill him. While waiting, Jin approaches a random male researcher.

   “Get me to the nearest computer inside this lab.” he demands.

   The researcher starts walking meekly. He probably got the hint that Jin isn’t messing around. Jin was eventually brought to a computer lab with lots of, well, computers.

“Get all the data inside the computer into this.” Jin orders the researcher while handing him a thumb drive.

   Again, the researcher did as he was told. When he sits down in front of his computer, he was keep on mumbling something that Jin failed to catch. It’s probably a prayer that he’s offering so that all the data wasn’t deleted.

   Jin then senses a lot of something approaching him.

   “Continue with what you’re doing, and don’t you dare miss out anything.” he tells the researcher before leaving the lab.

   “G-Got it.”

   Turns out it’s just a huge group of trolls, orcs, and other random creatures. There’s at least one hundred of them. Tanifuji himself is nowhere to be seen. Figures.

   At a closer look, the mouth of those creatures are covered with blood. They were probably feeding before they got here. No prizes for guessing correctly the things they were eating. Jin has zero pity for those who got eaten since they knew the risks when they chose to work here. Heck, more than half of them were probably directly involved in making the people suffer, so it’s straight up karma at this point.

   As for the creatures, it only took Jin two seconds to take care of them. No challenge at all. After that’s done, Jin goes inside the computer lab once more.

   “How goes the extraction? How much longer do I have to wait?” Jin asks the researcher.

   The researcher’s face is entirely pale, and his whole body is trembling nonstop.

   “A-A-All the f-f-files have b-b-b-been d-d-d-deleted…” he reports while stuttering violently.

   Jin was about to ask questions when he notices something from the top right corner of his eye. There’s a security camera on the ceiling of that direction. Drat. Maybe he should have been more careful. He just hopes that the evidence that Maebara got and the voice recorder are sufficient to crucify Bouchard and Tanifuji.

   “Please, at least let me say goodbye to my family!” The researcher begs.

   “What are you talking about?”

   “You’re going to kill me, aren’t you?”

   “Um, no.”

   “...Are you sure?”

   “Pretty sure. Even I don’t go around and killing people at random.”

   The researcher sobs loudly.

   “I’m so glad to hear that…”

   “Yeah yeah, now get outta here. Permanently. If you have a family that you care about, you shouldn’t get a job at a place like this.”

   “Good idea. I’ll quit this job and work as a regular doctor from now on.”

   “Sounds good.” Jin agrees.

   After the researcher has left, Jin decides to leave this place and head to the police station to hand over the voice recorder-

   “Hold it right there, Silver Wolf! No, Minase Jin!”

   Jin turns around and sees Tanifuji. At least, the thing that’s used to be Tanifuji.

   The stump where his right arm used to be is replaced with a really high-tech looking lase cannon. His legs were chopped off and replaced with the mechanical legs of a horse, or something that looks like a horse anyway. His right eye has been dug out and replaced with a mechanical one.

   “I’ll never let you leave here alive! I’ll-”

   Splosh!

   Explode and die without doing anything. Jin sighs. And here he thought that he could get some exercise for a change. Life is full of disappointment, he guess.

85