Chapter 40
3.1k 11 69
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Estyshana’s POV
   For the past few days, it had been nothing but revision for Esty right after she got back home. Chifuyu’s mother mode has gone haywire, and as a result both Esty and Watanabe has to study, study and study some more.

   Why? What’s the point in all this? It’s not like she’ll ever be getting a job in this world, or even use those knowledge in real life after she graduates. And yet, she has to spend eight hours for five days per week inside a legal prison, and then has to study some more for tests. This is such a waste of time. She shouldn’t have bothered to attend school. The only upsides from this is that she’s able to see the Hero and hangs out with Chifuyu and Watanabe.

   “I’m done with this part…” Esty wheezes at another torturing study session in the bedroom shared by both her and Chifuyu.

   Chifuyu picks up her workbook and glances through it.

   “Good job Esty. See? You can do it if you work hard enough.” she says approvingly.

   “Thank you for the absolutely pointless compliment. Now can I stop here for today?”

   Chifuyu looks at the time.

   “I guess. And right on time too since it’s almost time for dinner.”

   “I have never been happier in hearing those words.” Watanabe sobs in relief.

   “You aren’t actually done for the day like Esty, Anri.”

   “I know, but I can’t help it. My brain is going to blow up any second!”

   “Okay, okay.”

   Suddenly, Esty hears someone knocks on the door.

   “Come in.” Chifuyu says.

   The person comes in. It’s Mama Kana.

   “It’s getting late, girls. Are you going to continue with your revision?” she asks the three of them.

   “No, mother. We’re just about done.” Chifuyu answers.

   “I see. Are you joining us for dinner, Anri-chan?”

   “I’m afraid not, Kana-san. My mother’s cooking tonight. Besides, if I got stuck here with Chifuyu any longer, I’ll die from stress.” Watanabe answers while packing her things.

   Chifuyu furrows her eyebrows.

   “Aren’t you exaggerating?”

   “Am I?”

   “Definitely not.” Esty mumbles.

   The Wakaba family starts having dinner not long after Watanabe leaves. Today’s dessert is mango pudding, but Esty is so tired she doesn’t really care that it’s not apple pie.

   “Is everything okay, Esty-chan?” Mama Kana asks when she saw Esty’s tired expression.

   “I’m fine, Mama Kana. I’m just, tired from studying for so long.”

   “Oh my, it must have been tough.”

   “I’m sorry if the revision was too difficult, Esty. I’ll try to tone it down at the next one.” Chifuyu apologizes.

   “It’s fine, Chifuyu. I know that you’re doing it for my and Watanabe’s own good.”

   As they’re continuing with their meal, Esty’s phone vibrates. She takes it out from her phone to see who’s calling her. It’s the Hero.

   Before she could stop herself, Esty feels her mouth curving up. She quickly covers it up with her hand before her expression is seen.

   “What’s wrong, Esty?” Chinatsu asks.

   “It’s nothing. Um, can I be excused for a moment? I need to take this call.”

   “Of course. Go ahead, Esty-chan.” Mama Kana tells her.

   Esty goes all the way to the kitchen before answering it, and she makes sure that no one is eavesdropping. Next, she tries to calm herself down.

   All right Estyshana. Calm down your excitement. Don’t let him know that you’re dying to hear his voice. Just stay calm…

   “H-H-H-H-H-Hello? W-W-W-W-W-What do y-y-y-you want?” she ends up stuttering.

   “Um, do you need some time to calm down?”

   “I am calm!”

   “Sure, sure.”

   “Now what do you want? I’m in the middle of eating my dinner.”

   “Sorry about that. The thing is, I’m gathering allies to fight Japanese demons. You interested?”

   “Of course not. Why would I help humans to defeat my distant relatives?”

   She pauses.

   “...Hold on. You have actual demons here? I thought they were all made up!”

   “That’s what I thought until today. Turns out they do exist.”

   “So what, those demons were living among us all this time?”

   “They didn’t exactly live among us. They’re living in another world just for them.”

   “Wow, your world is actually very complicated, huh?”

   “No kidding. And all this while I thought that this world was very boring.”

   “Well, my answer is still the same. I’m not going to help you.”

   “All right, then. Sorry for bothering you-”

   “That’s it? You’re not going to beg me to help you?”

   “Beg you? You can’t be serious. I would rather die.”

   “On a completely unrelated note, who else did you ask?” she asks.

   “The Graylock sisters.”

   “That’s it?”

   “There’s already a group of Japanese exorcists who dedicated themselves to fight the demons which Ichihara Ayumi is part of.”

   “You’re talking as if I’m supposed to know that Ichihara Ayumi.”

   “Remember the time when we had our first study session?”

   “Yeah?”

   “And do you remember the girl who was walking around teaching other students along with Wakaba?”

   “...Ah, her. Yup, I remember, all right. So she was secretly an exorcist? I couldn’t tell at all.”

   “Neither could I. Anyway, are you coming or not?”

   “...No. I don’t have any obligation to help you. Technically, we’re still enemies.”

   “You’re right. Forget that I asked.”

   Esty hangs up and exits the kitchen so that she could go back to the dining room.

   “Is everything okay, Esty-chan?” Mama Kana asks her the moment she sits down again.

   “...Yes, Mama Kana.”

   “You’re lying again, Esty.” Chifuyu points out.

   Esty laughs awkwardly at that.

   “Was I that obvious?”

   “Absolutely.”

   “...I’m sorry, but I can’t tell you about it.”

   “It’s fine, Esty-chan. You just take your time. We’ll always be here when you want to talk about it.” Mama Kana assures her.

   “Thank you.”

   With conflicted emotions, Esty continues to eat her meal.

Jin’s POV
   Jin called Nyri first as he’s not going to go home anytime soon. She took the news surprisingly well.

   “Does this mean that I can order delivery?” she asks.

   “Sure, if you really can’t wait for me.”

   “Great. I want to order pizzas, ramen, Chinese food-”

   “Just don’t go too crazy, okay? And don’t let the delivery person in no matter what.”

   “Got it.”

   After Nyri has been dealt with, it’s the Graylock sisters’ turn. Thankfully, the two of them were in the same room, so he didn’t have to call the other one. Both of them agreed to come over. Aldenia especially is excited to fight local demons. He sent them the location of the shrine through LINE.

   “If you’re using Teleportation, please make sure to teleport outside of the shrine.” he added a message at the bottom of the map.

   He took a while to decide whether he should call Estyshana. It’s true that she’s very good in a fight, and they’ll need all the help they can get to defeat the youkais. Even so, Jin has a feeling that she might refuse.

   The Graylock sisters came over almost immediately since Audrey used her Teleportation spell. As requested, the two of them were waiting outside the shrine. Both of them are wearing lounge wears. Audrey’s clothing made her look like an elegant lady, while Aldenia is, as usual, dressed up like a boy.

   “So where are those youkai things? When do we get to fight them? How many of them are there?” Aldenia asks Jin eagerly.

   “Calm down, Aldenia. I need to call Von Mantus first.”

   “Oh, sure. Go ahead.”

   As expected, she refused. Figures. She has zero reason to help them. Besides, even though they’re from different worlds, youkais are still spirits in a sense. He very much doubt that Estyshana will agree to fight them.

   “You’re right. Forget that I asked.”

   “She’s not going to be here, is she?” Aldenia asks once Jin puts away his phone.

   Jin shakes his head. “No, she’s not.”

   “A shame. She would be a good ally.”

   “Well, she has no obligation to help us. And neither do you and your sister, to be honest.”

   “We were taken good care by this world ever since we arrived. As such, the least we could do is to help you out with exterminating its threats.” Audrey says to him.

   “Yeah, what nee-san said! We’re going to defeat all those youkais or whatever together!”

   “I’m glad for your enthusiasm. Now let’s go in.”

   “Right behind you!”

   Ayumi is already waiting for them inside the shrine along with Meiko. Jin was not expected to see the daughter of Shuten Douji here.

   “What are you doing here?” he asks her.

   “Well, we’re working together, so I got my father’s permission to come over here and help you in any way I can before the war begins.” she replies timidly.

   “And your family is fine with it?” Jin asks Ayumi.

   “...Grandfather already gave his permission.” she replies coolly.

   Ayumi doesn’t really look happy with Meiko’s presence. She’s probably reminded of her sister’s death by being near her killer’s daughter.

   “May I have the honor of being introduced to them, Minase-san?” Audrey asks.

   “Oh, right. Aldenia and Audrey, this is Ichihara Ayumi. She’s my classmate, and she’s an exorcist whose family is in charge of this shrine. As for her, this is Meiko. Well, I guess you could say that she’s an Eastern demon. Ayumi and Meiko, this is Audrey and Aldenia Graylock. These two are from an entirely different world that we live in called Ifezan.”

   The four of them nod at each other as a form of greeting.

   “You’re wrong about one thing, Minase-kun. I’m not an exorcist. There’s no way that I can ever be one until the Yamauchi family decides otherwise.” Ayumi tells Jin.

   “Bah, it’s nothing but formalities. You want to become an exorcist, and you’re strong enough to be one. That’s all that matters.”

   “...I guess you’re right.”

   Jin notices that Aldenia is staring at Meiko intensely. Jin could tell that the latter is being intimidated by the tomboy’s stare.

   “Aldenia, why are you glaring at her? Are you being nervous again?” he tells her.

   “No, not at all.”

   “Then stop that. You’re scaring her.”

   “Oops. Sorry, Meiko.”

   “I-It’s fine…”

   “Is it okay if I make a phone call?” Aldenia asks Jin.

   “Sure.”

   “Thanks. I promise that I won’t take too long.”

   As Jin watches, Aldenia walks some distance away from them and takes out her phone. She proceeds to call someone. She speaks to whoever that’s on the other side for a few minutes. All this while, Aldenia’s gaze has never left Meiko.

   “Who exactly is she calling?” Ayumi asks Jin with a soft voice.

   “I have no idea.” Jin confesses.

   A few minutes later, a portal appears right in front of her, and out comes Estyshana. Now that surprised Jin.

   Both her cheeks are puffed up, and she’s heading straight them. Before any of them could say anything, she stops right in front of Meiko and stares at her with their faces just inches away from each other.

   “Um, hello.” Meiko greets meekly.

   “Hi.” is all Estyshana said.

   She stares at the female oni for a few more seconds before finally retracting her face.

   “What are doing doing here, Von Mantus?” Jin couldn’t help but ask.

   “I change my mind. I’m going to help you guys.”

   “...Um, sure. Welcome abroad, I guess? Meiko, this is Estyshana Von Mantus. She’s a demon from Ifezan. Von Mantus, this is Meiko, the daughter of a local demon.”

   “Charmed, I’m sure.” Estyshana tells Meiko coolly.

   Meiko, on the other hand, bows at Estyshana respectfully.

   “Greetings. My name is Meiko. As fellow female demons, I hope we can get along.”

   “You’re talking as if I’m the first female demon that you met.”

   “Actually, you are. You see, we have no females.”

   “You don’t? How do you reproduce then?”

   “Most of us used to be humans. As for me, I’m born from my demon father and my human mother.”

   “So you’re half-demon.”

   “Yes.”

   “Huh. Must have been tough for you.”

   “Not exactly. I was sad when mother passed away, but everyone at the village are very nice to me.”

   Suddenly, Meiko fidgets in a really cute way.

   “This is the first time I’ve ever talked to anyone not from my village. If I make any mistake, I hope you can forgive me. Also, I hope we can be friends.” she whispers while blushing.

   What, what is this cute creature? Jin has a sudden urge to protect her. And he’s not the only one who’s thinking that. Estyshana embraces her tightly.

   “Oh, aren’t you the cutest thing! I’m so sorry for talking to you harshly! Of course we can be friends!”

   “Thank you, I’m happy to hear that.”

   “Hey, don’t hog her by your own! I want to hug her too!” Aldenia says while attempting to pull off Estyshana.

   Even the calm Audrey is going full-on hug mode.

   “I would love to embrace her as well.” she requests.

   “Get in line! Can’t you see that I’m not done?”

   “Boo, no fair!”

   For the first time ever, Jin hates himself for being male since he can’t hug Meiko without getting beaten up.

   Ayumi is looking on with an impassive stare. While the others are occupied, Jin signals her to move some distance away from them so that the two of them can have a talk.

   “Are you still reluctant to work with the onis?” he asks her.

   “To be quite honest with you, yes. I just can’t bring myself to trust them.”

   “Look, I know that you can’t forgive them for your sister’s death. I hate to be blunt, but this is no time for personal vengeance. Besides, Meiko has nothing to do with it.”

   “...Of course I understand that. I just hope that I can put aside my personal feelings when the time comes to fight.”

   “Speaking of which, how are the rest of the onmyojis taking in the news that we allied ourselves with onis?”

   “A vast majority of them are surprisingly fine with it, even the Head family. I guess it’s because they understand that this is a temporary alliance. My brother, on the hand, is not having it. He was so enraged that my grandfather had to put him under house arrest so that he couldn’t jeopardize the operation.”

   “I guess that’s the best arrangement. He’ll be useless in a fight anyway.”

   “Yes. We can’t have the next Head get injured and dies.”

   Jin just likes the fact that Ayumi isn’t even trying to deny the fact that her brother is weak.

   “One last thing. I’m working closely with the Japanese police right now. Am I allowed to tell them any of this?”

   “I’m afraid not. The existence of youkais has been kept secret from the general public for a very long time, and the onmyojis intend to keep it that way. Even the police are not excluded.”

   “What if the youkais show themselves out in the public?”

   “I guess the secret will be out should it happens. Until then, we’re to keep it a secret.”

   “I see. But man, how long are they going to keep at it?” he asks while looking at the hug fest.

   Ayumi chuckles.

   “Don’t you want to join in?” she asks mischievously.

   “I really do.” he confesses. “But I doubt they’ll let me hug Meiko with the excited state they’re in.”

   “Actually, I was talking about Esty-san.”

   “...Ah, her. Well, she’ll definitely wallop me if I try to pull something out of the blue.”

   Ayumi looks at him in surprise.

   “You’re not going to deny it?”

   “Nope. And it doesn’t matter anyway. It’s not like we can ever be together.”

   “Why is that?”

   “Her father was the Demon Lord, and I took him down.”

   “...I see.”

   “Well, let’s just break that up and give them a briefing on our enemies, especially to the Ifezan folks. We have lots of things to explain to them.”

   “Yes.”

   Ayumi brings them to the same guest room where Jin was at a few hours ago. To make things easier, they sit down while forming a circle. Meiko sits at Jin’s left side, while Estyshana is sitting on his right.

   “Now, allow me to give all of you a complete history about the foes that we’ll be facing.” Ayumi volunteers.

   Jin looks at her. Her eyes are sparkling, and she’s really eager on doing the explanation. He takes it that she’s a huge folklore fan.

   “You know what, let me do it.” he offers instead.

   “But-”

   “No buts. We need to get this over with quickly so that we can think up of a countermeasure.”

   “...I guess you’re right. Please go ahead.” she backs down reluctantly.

   “Now, we have two enemies. These two, along with Meiko’s father Shuten Douji, are known as the Three Great Youkais.” he begins.

   Estyshana raises up her hand.

   “Youkais is a local term for demons.” he informs before she asks her question.

   She puts down her hand.

   “Now, we’ve formed an alliance with Shuten Douji and his army of Eastern Demons known as onis, so they’re out of the picture for now.”

   “Does that mean that we have to fight the onis one day?” Audrey asks while looking a bit uncomfortable at Meiko.

   “The possibility is always there.” Jin confesses. “I’m sorry in advance if that happens, Meiko.”

   Meiko shakes her head.

   “Please don’t mind it. I doubt that my father will be happy with keeping the alliance forever.”

   “In any case, our biggest concern right now is the remaining two, Tengu and Tamamo No Mae.” Jin continues. “Tengu is an evil spirit who killed himself by biting his own tongue, while Tamamo No Mae is a shape-shifting fox who can reincarnate over and over again.”

   “...That’s it?” Estyshana asks.

   “It’s a really simplified version that serves its purpose well enough. Their backstory don’t matter, what they’ll be doing from now on do.”

   “True.”

   “No, not true! All this is important history-” Ayumi objects.

   “Which you can tell to your heart’s extent after all this is over. We might not have much time until they decide to invade us, remember?”

   Ayumi puffs up her cheeks and sulks.

   “So, what shall be our first plan?” Audrey asks.

   “For now, we need to find them.” Jin decides. “It’s easier said than done, though, since they could be anywhere.”

   “My father’s men were dispatched to search for them as we speak, but it might take a while.” Meiko informs.

   “Us the onmyojis are also doing our part by sending out multiple shikigamis.” Ayumi adds.

   “I guess we should-”

   GROWL!

   Everyone looks at Aldenia since it’s her stomach that made the rumbling sound.

   “Sorry, I haven’t eaten my dinner yet.” Aldenia says.

   “As a matter of fact, so do I.” Audrey also says apologetically.

   “Actually, me three.” Jin brings up.

   “We are about to have our meal. All of you are welcome to join us.” Ayumi tells them.

   “I need to ask this upfront. Are shrine food all vegetables?” Jin asks.

   “We do serve meat, but the portion is minimal.”

   “I’ll have to refuse, then. My poor body might stop functioning if it didn’t get enough meat.”

   “Same here.” Aldenia agrees.

   “It would do you good to eat less meat every once in a while, Al.” Audrey tells her.

   “I’m sure that it does, nee-san, but I don’t think now’s a good time for it. There’s no way I can fight properly without a full stomach.”

   “What about Von Mantus and Meiko?” Jin asks.

   “I’ve already eaten, but I guess I can hang out with you guys and eat ice cream or something.” Estyshana replies.

   “I would prefer to stay with all of you as I don’t think the onmyojis would welcome me to have a meal with them.” Meiko answers timidly.

   “Alright, then. Let’s all go outside and look for food. That includes you too, Ichihara.” Jin decides.

   “But, I’m not supposed to take any outside food.” Ayumi tells him.

   “Too bad. When you’re hanging out with us, you should be prepared to be corrupted.”

   “But-”

   “Let’s ask for your grandfather’s permission, then. Help me to get her out, Von Mantus and Aldenia.”

   “Sure.”

   “Got it.”

   “Wait, hey!”

   And so, all of them leave the room with Jin, Aldenia and Estyshana pushing Ayumi from behind.

69