Chapter 61
1.5k 6 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jin’s POV
   Other than his outfit, Tengu has become much more powerful than the last time they fought. As Ayumi has said, getting fed with all the fears and malice generated from all the fired employees and the senior executives really powered him up.

   Then again, he’s still much weaker than Jin. The ghost has a real disadvantage since he wasn’t a warrior back when he was alive. As such, his fighting skill is close to non-existent. By contrast, Jin has tons of experience in fighting bare-handed and with weapons. The only downside is that Jin is having his life force sucked out again. Furthermore, since the cursed weapons used by Topknot and Tengu’s other subordinates can absorb mana too, Jin reckons that he can’t use magic either since it might end up empowering Tengu even more.

   Tengu, on the other hand, has no such restriction. All of a sudden, they’re inside the eye of a huge typhoon. All kinds of debris that got sucked into the typhoon are flying towards Jin at breakneck speed. He could deal with them no problem, but they sure annoy him.

   Tengu continues to bombard Jin with all kinds of attacks like fireballs, lightning bolts and vacuum balls. To be honest, this magical attacks work better than his physical ones, which is probably why the ghost is using them like there’s no tomorrow. Again, this is nothing but pure annoyance to Jin. He has a sinking suspicion that Tengu is just stalling for time until all his life force is absorbed.

   After a while, Jin remembers that Tengu doesn’t have mana inside his body. After all, he’s not from Ifezan. And yet here he is, using spells like it’s the most normal thing in the world. Out of curiosity, he activates his Eye of Truth while Tengu is firing one of his magical barrage at him.

   He noticed that while Tengu isn’t using any mana, he’s surprised to realize that the air around them have become thinner. A few seconds later, tons of vacuum balls comes flying at Jin which he deflected with Felfarthen. Next, the temperature around them drop a bit. What results next is that lots of fireballs appear.

   Seeing Tengu doing whatever that he did reminds Jin that Shuten Douji was able to spit out lightning bolts from his mouth even though he doesn’t have any mana inside his body either. The two of them are probably using the same method in order to use magic or whatever that is. It’s all very intriguing, but Jin doesn’t really have time to observe how exactly Tengu is doing it. He can try to imitate it once the ghost is defeated. Jin could do it the regular way, but that might take too long. Ayumi did mention that evil ghosts like Tengu become stronger by feeding on life force, fear and malice. That gave Jin an idea.

   “How exactly are you feeling now?” he asks Tengu while casually dodging a barrage of lightning bolts.

   Tengu stops what he’s doing and stares at Jin.

   “You got scared off by Aldenia the last time we fought. She’s the girl with the tanned skin, by the way. You can’t do the same here. I, on the other hand, can just bring her here, and there’s nothing you can do to stop me. To make things worse, your subordinates aren’t here to protect you anymore.”

   Tengu shrieks in rage and charges towards Jin while being fueled by anger. His attacks are completely uncoordinated, messy and full of openings. Guess all those times he spent copying sutras were completely meaningless. Jin parried all those attacks without much efforts.

   “You may think that you can win this fight by stalling it, but let me tell you this: I can settle the fight within a minute if I want to. Again, no one can come to your aid this time.” he continues to tell Tengu.

   Jin continues to scares and frightens Tengu with dark hints of pain and suffering. Those words pretty much settled the fight. Tengu’s anger disappears in an instant, only the be replaced by fear and despair. His whole body is trembling like he’s some newborn foal. All his attacks have become a lot weaker too. He does his best to put his hand together and whines something to Jin.

   “If you want me to spare you, you can forget about it. I told you in the beginning of the fight, didn’t I? Only one of us can leave.” Jin declines coldly.

   Tengu hangs his head sadly, a look completely unbefitting of one of the Three Great Youkais.

   “Here’s a deal. Just surrender your neck quietly and I’ll make your second death quick.” Jin compromises. “What say you?”

   Tengu slowly nods.

   “Good. Now hold still.”

   And it was done. As promised, Jin made it quick. Tengu, former Emperor Sutoku, one of the Three Great Youkais, disappeared without a trace nor making a single sound. One more to go.

   Before Jin undoes Mirror World, he plans to stay back for a while and try to imitate what Tengu did when he was firing those magical missiles.

   Let’s see, Tengu looked like he was absorbing heat and whatnot from the surroundings. Jin tries to concentrate and takes a deep breath while willing a fireball to appear on top of his palm. Nope, nothing happens. Figures. He refuses to acknowledge that this type of magic can only be used by youkais. There must be some gimmick to it…

   Wait a minute. He remembers seeing the interview of a hermit who claimed that he’s “one with the nature”. Jin dismissed it as a complete nonsense at the time, but that was way before he was teleported to Ifezan. Now, that statement doesn’t sound that crazy. Besides, the spells that he uses are reliant on mana that he extracted from his body, which is something also not possible under normal circumstances. Using the same theory, maybe Jin could try to extract, let’s say heat for now, from the air around him…

   He reaches out his left palm again. This time, a small fireball appears on it.

   That was easy.

   It’s true that he was told that he has high affinity for magic by the Grand Magus of the Ustadel Kingdom herself, but this is another huge accomplishment for him. Well, now that he’s done here, it’s time to go back.

   By the time he got back to the real world, the news regarding the commotion he caused has already reached the ears of police and news outlets. He sees lots of police cars and regular cars surrounding the company. There’s also an ambulance. Someone probably told them about that injured father of his. As he watches, a crew of paramedics is carrying him towards the ambulance with a stretcher.

   Hmm, now Jin is really conflicted. He doesn’t really care whether his father lives or dies. However, Jin would be branded a murderer, and the media won’t get off his back until the end of time. Even if his father did survive, he’s going to be called a ruthless madman for attacking a man out of the blue. Oh, well. It’s not like this is the first time he’s being criticized. Now then, there’s one more thing to do before he heads back.

   He looks at the group of reporters who’re trying desperately to go near his father in order to take pictures of him. Ah, there’s Maebara, the reporter who’s equally hated by everyone just like Jin. Jin lands right next to him, and the attention of all the news reporters were immediately shifted to him. They ask him tons of questions while talking at the same time, but Jin ignores all of them.

   “Are you good at hacking into computers?” he asks Maebara.

   “Somewhat. After all, I’ve been going through intense class to learn everything there is about computer for almost a decade.” the journalist replies rather modestly.

   “Good. You’re coming with me.”

   Without waiting for a reply, Jin grabs the back of Maebara’s shirt and ascends to the air without warning. Maebara was so shocked he couldn’t even say a thing. Jin flew all the way to the office where Tengu was working while possessing his father. On then he released Maebara. The moment he did that, Maebara got on all fours while panting heavily. His face is completely pale.

   “I…huff…I thought I was going to…huff…die…huff…” he wheezes.

   Jin looks towards the office table that his father/Tengu was sitting. It was completely smashed along with everything else, including the computer. He takes a closer look. Thankfully, the computer case has at least survived.

   “Say, it’s possible to search for the files within the computer case as long as it’s not destroyed, right?” Jin asks the dying reporter.

   “Of course it’s possible.”

   “Well then, I guess you know what to do.”

   Suddenly, Maebara has become very energetic. He gets up from the floor while cracking his fists.

   “Indeed I do! Watch me as I reveal the truth about the corrupted businessman and his cohorts!” he declares.

   He picks up the rectangle box from the rubble gleefully as Jin opens the door for him. Once they left the CEO’s office, Jin follows Maebara from behind.

   “Where exactly are you going?”

   “There’s another office right around the corner at the front. The office of the COO, to be exact. For your information, all the big shots of this company has an office in this floor.”

   “You sure know your way around here. Have you been entering here without permission?”

   “How rude! I entered this building in a legitimate manner, I’ll have you know!”

   “Uh-huh.”

   “It’s true, I tell you! I was here when Minase Takeji held the part which celebrates the second anniversary of the establishment of this company.”

   “And what were you doing all the way up here in the top floor where only the offices of the top executives of the company are located?”

   “Oh look. There’s the office now.”

   In any case, it’s really ironic that an outsider has a better understanding of the structure of the company than the son of the CEO himself. Then again, Jin has zero interest in stepping foot on this company if he could have helped it.

   Once inside the office of the COO, Maebara gets to work at once. He connects the box with the monitor here and turns on the computer. He then takes out a thumb drive from one of his pants pocket and plugs it into the box. He then starts typing furiously at the keyboard. All this while, Jin is watching the entrance to the office in case someone is here.

   “Okay, I’m in. Now to check the files…” Marbara mumbles after a while.

   A few more minutes later, he shouts out in triumph.

   “Yes! I found them!” he yells.

   Wow, the evidence was actually still inside the computer box. Then again, Tengu probably couldn’t care less that his host might get into trouble for the things he did. Coincidentally, neither do Jin.

   “So, you have everything you need to bust them?” he asks Maebara.

   “Yes, that and then some more too! If this information leaks out, the Minase dynasty is finished!”

   He pauses.

   “Then again, I would be finished too since I have technically broken the law.” he says hesitantly.

   “But you’re going to let the world know anyway, aren’t you?”

   “Of course. The people deserves to know the truth. Me being arrested is a small price to pay for such a salvation.” Maebara says without a single hint of hesitation.

   “You know, you could just put the blame on me. Say that I threatened you. Lots of people saw me bring you up here, after all.” Jin suggests.

   “No, thank you. I would have done this regardless. It’s just that it has become much easier with your assistance. Speaking of which-”

   Maebara looks at Jin suspiciously.

   “Why did you help me? In fact, why did you attack Minase Takeji?” he asks.

   “It’s going to take too much time to answer that. Even if I did answer, none of you will believe me since I don’t have any proof.”

   “So you’re just going to let the public call you a violent madman?”

   Jin shrugs.

   “As if that’s anything new. And aren’t you getting similar treatment?”

   Maebara laughs.

   “I guess you’re right.”

   Just this once, Jin escorted Maebara until he reaches his car safely. He can’t have the evidence being eradicated, after all. As he was about to fly back to his apartment, a talisman appears in front of him. There’s a tiny piece of note stuck to the talisman.

   “Good evening, Silver Wolf. Ichihara Ayumi here. Please come to the Kameda Shrine right now.” the paper reads.

   Jin sighs. And here he thought he can go back home and play some game.

   When he got to the shrine, he was welcomed by Ayumi. Once inside, Jin puts away his armor in his Vault.

   “Thank you for dealing with Tengu.” she tells him gratefully as they head inside.

   “No problem. This is my job too, after all.”

   “Still, didn’t you went too far with your father?”

   “Did I?”

   “The news reported that a lot of his bones were broken, and he’s in a critical condition right now.” she says pointedly.

   He shrugs at that. “It was inevitable.”

   “Esty-san said that it wasn’t necessary for you to literally beat Tengu out of him.”

   Oh, that talkative redheaded demon.

   “Is the usual gang here?” Jin asks in an attempt to change the subject.

   “Yes. So are Chifuyu and Anri.”

   Jin stops walking.

   “They are? What for?”

   “They want to know the reason you attacked your own father.”

   “Watanabe aside, I’m surprised that Wakaba wants to know too.”

   “She’s just concerned about you.”

   “In a motherly sort of way?”

   “In a motherly sort of way.”

   The two of them giggle at the same time.

   “Let’s not repeat the last part of the conversation to her.” Jin proposes.

   “Definitely not.” Ayumi agrees. “Wait inside the room while I get you tea. You wanted them with ice, right?”

   “Yup. Thanks for the trouble.”

   Everyone else were at the usual guest room, with the addition of Wakaba and Watanabe as per mentioned by Ayumi. All of them are gathering around while forming a circle. There’s a mug of tea in front of them, and there’s a huge bowl of crackers at the middle of the circle. All conversations ceased the moment Jin comes in.

   “What took you so long?” Watanabe demands.

   “I’m so sorry for making you wait. It’s definitely not because I have really important things to take care of.” he replies drily.

   He sits down and makes himself comfortable. He tries to ignore the fact that most of them have scooted over their seat so that he would end up sitting with Estyshana.

   “Is it true that you have vanquished Tengu?” Audrey starts by asking.

   Jin grunts as he reaches out for a piece of cracker. “Sure did.”

   A few seconds of silence.

   “And? That’s all you’re telling us?” Watanabe prompts.

   “Let’s wait for Ichihara first. I’m also very thirsty, so I absolutely need that the tea she brings me.”

   Eventually, Ayumi arrives with his iced tea. She passes the glass to him before sitting down next to Meiko. Jin takes a sip from the drink. Once his thirst is quenched, he puts down the glass.

   “Well?” this time it’s Estyshana who prompts him.

   Jin shrugs.

   “It wasn’t a big deal, to be honest. Nor is the story very long.”

   Even though he said that, it still took him around half an hour to be done. He didn’t left out a single detail, not even the part where he asked Maebara to hack into his father’s CPU. The girls became silent for a few seconds when he’s done.

   “So, any questions?” Jin asks.

   “Yeah. You said you managed to copy what Tengu did. What exactly do you mean by that?” Aldenia asks curiously.

   “Hold on. It’s faster to show you.”

   Jin opens up his left palm and concentrates. A single second later, a small ball of fire appears. Meiko lets out a tiny gasp.

   “You’ve actually managed to master youjutsu after only watching it being used once?” she asks as she couldn’t believe her eyes.

   “Ah, so that’s what this is. This is the same way your father managed to spit out lightning bolts, right?”

   “Yes. That’s our version of the spells that you use.”

   “I figured it would be something like that.”

   Audrey, Aldenia and Estyshana are staring at the fireball intensely. They’ve probably activated their Eye of Truth and are trying to search for traces of mana. Naturally, they found none. Jin notices Estyshana gritting her teeth in frustration. He remembers that she was acting a bit suspicious a little while ago.

   “Do you want me to teach you?” he asks her by using telepathy.

   “Don’t you dare! Gah, to think I would have an advantage against you! This is so unfair!”

   “Life is unfair in general.” he tells her wisely.

   “Shut up. Stop rubbing it in.”

   “Anything else?” Jin asks by using his mouth.

   Wakaba raises up her hand.

   “Do you want to talk about your relationship with your father?” she asks him.

   He stares at her.

   “Where did that came from?”

   “I mean, everything you did tonight was out of spite for your father, right? I’m not going to judge you on any of the things you did, but I’m more than happy to listen if you want to talk.”

   He thinks about it for a bit before finally shaking his head.

   “No. I’m happy for your offer, but having a therapy session is pointless.” he decides.

   “Well, if you insist…” she tells him with a sad expression.

   “Moving on. Tengu is thrashed, but the evil Fox Lady still remains. Any luck on finding her?” Jin asks Ayumi.

   She shakes her head.

   “None at all. Of course, we’re still searching for her. That said, it’s going to be very tough.”

   “The onis are also assisting in that regard. Sadly, we’re barely making progress.” Meiko joins in the conversation.

   “It’s fine. It’s already reassuring that the onis are fighting alongside us. We’ll be counting on all of you once the fighting begins.” Jin tells her.

   “Looks like we got caught up in something really dangerous.” Jin hears Watanabe whispering to Wakaba.

   “We sure did.” her childhood friend agrees.

49