Chapter 77
957 1 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jin’s POV
   Just as the tip of Jin’s sword was about to reach the evil Fox Lady’s throat, she calmly raises her right hand. An invisible barrier appears out of nowhere and blocks off his attack. Jin was even bounced back from the impact. Now this is a surprise. It’s been a while since his attack was rendered useless. This is going to be more exciting than he thought.

   On a side note, he noticed a horizontal scar on evil Fox Lady’s neck. He assumes that she got it when she was beheaded and died for the first time. Curious, considering that Yamauchi didn’t have the same wound.

   “CHARGING IN ALONE IS RUDE, BOY!” he hears Shuten Douji roars.

   “You could hurry up and join in if you’re so vexed!” Jin says loudly without looking back.

   “Fine, I will! Let’s go, Tamamo no Mae!”

   “Which one are you talking to?” Yamauchi asks.

   “You, of course! Who else?”

   “Oh. Right.”

   “My incompetent other half shall be the cause of your downfall!” evil Fox Lady taunts.

   “How true…” Jin mumbles.

   He puts up a stance and charges forward once more. This time, there was no barrier. Instead, lots of black fireballs come flying at him. Jin swats away the one closest to him with his sword. He was mildly surprised to see it coming for him again a split second later. He cuts it in half this time, only for it to split into two and home in on him yet again. The same goes for the other fireballs. All of them have homing abilities, and can split into more when they are cut.

   Jin looks around. While he was being busy with the evil Fox Lady, her minions and the oni-onmyoji alliance have begin to engage each other in combat. Needless to say, Jin’s side is already being overwhelmed. Forget half an hour, it won’t even take them ten minutes to be wiped out. Suddenly, Jin thinks that it was a mistake to bring them along. If he was alone, he could have cleared them all out with his Spells-

   “Do not do it, Minase-dono!” Yamauchi shouts to him all of a sudden.

   “Why not?” Jin asks while skillfully dodging the black fireballs.

   “If you started a mess here, the damage will be reflected at your world!”

   “Does that mean that all the earthquakes and other natural disasters that occurred in Japan were caused by the youkais who went on a rampage in this world?”

   “Yes!”

   “Well that sucks…” Jin mumbles.

   While they were having the conversation, the head onmyoji and Shuten Douji have reached Jin and the evil Fox Lady. The latter glared at Yamauchi with eyes full of hatred. Her fireballs that were assaulting Jin relentlessly are now floating around harmlessly.

   “You! You are a traitor, through and through!” she spits.

   “And you have allowed your anger and hatred to consume you. You should stop seeking revenge before it is too late.” Yamauchi tells her in a calm tone.

   “Silence! The lapdog of the humans have no right to lecture me!”

   She glares at Shuten Douji next.

   “And you! Here I thought we shared the common goal of eradicating all humans as we hate them from the bottom of our hearts. In the end, you are just like her.”

   She pointed her index finger angrily towards Yamauchi.

   The huge oni merely shrugged.

   “I will not make any excuses.”

   “You have gone soft! I shall personally-”

   Her sentence was interrupted by Jin, who once again refused to let her go on and on about some pointless things he couldn’t care less about.

   “Why are you wasting your breath with her?” Jin asks Yamauchi without looking back. “Let’s just pummel her and get this over with!”

   “..Very well. We shall do as you say.” she agrees, even though she sounded a little reluctant.

   “We should have done so from the beginning instead of standing around like idiots!” Shuten Douji guffaws.

   “I will not make your death quick!” evil Fox Lady screeches.

   With Yamauchi and Shuten Douji at his side, Jin tries forcing his way through and take the evil Fox Lady’s head once again. Again, though, he was stopped by the unseen barrier. Shuten Douji tried his luck with his huge club, but he was repelled too. Jin tried using the property of ice magic to get rid of the barrier. Unfortunately, the spells that ice magic normally dispels seem to be of a different category than the one evil Fox Lady is using.

   And the fireballs are still trying to hit Jin. In addition, they have two additional targets now.

   “Any idea on how to deal with the barrier, Yamauchi?” Jin asks the benign Fox Lady.

   “Please give me a moment!”

   Suddenly, five talismans fly past him and got stuck to the barrier. He heard Yamauchi mumbled something, and then the talismans got caught on fire. The way the embers fell to the ground indicate that the barrier is no longer there.

   “The barrier is down! You are free to attack her!” Yamauchi informs.

   Jin and Shuten Douji charged forward as told. This time, there were no barrier to protect the evil Fox Lady.

   “YOUR HEAD IS MINE!” Shuten Douji roars.

   “SAVE YOUR SLEEPTALK DURING YOUR SLEEP!” the fox demon shouts.

   Why do they love to shout so much? Jin’s eardrums are starting to hurt from being forced to listen to so many loud noises at such close range.

   Evil Fox Lady has started controlling her black fireballs to attack Jin and Shuten Douji. That is, until some golden fire balls appear out of nowhere and clash into those black fireballs. Jin looks back. Yamauchi has made her ears and tails appear, and is pointing at evil Fox Lady with her index and middle fingers.

   “I shall take care of those pesky fireballs! The two of you should concentrate on taking her down!” she tells him.

   “Got it, thanks!”

   “All of you are more incompetent than I thought if you think that this is all I can do!” evil Fox Lady says to them.

   As if to prove her point, black lightning appear from her hand. She proceeds to use them to blast Jin and co..

   “Hey, that’s MY signature move!” Shuten Douji protests as he blocks one of the lightning bolts wit his club.

   “Does it really matter?” Jin asks him as he slices apart an incoming lightning bolt.

   “Of course it does! It’s one of those few things that gives me the identity that I deserve!”

   “Yeah, no one cares.”

   “Well, I do! Get your own signature move, damn it!” Shuten Douji yells angrily.

   The oni takes a deep breath and spits out his own lightning bolt. Before it could even reach evil Fox Lady, however, it got intercepted by some black lightning bolts.

   Evil Fox Lady shows him a smug and condescending look.

   “Is this the best that one of the Three Great Youkais can do?” she asks.

   Shuten Douji growls in frustration.

   “I shall enjoy caving in your skull with this club of mine!”

   “I would like to see you try!”

   “Believe me, it won’t be long before it happens!”

   “Will you stop having pointless argument with her? Shall I need to remind you that defeating her is our top priority?” Yamauchi chides as she’s continuing to have the fireball shoot down with her evil half.

   “Well, perhaps we could go somewhere with that if you’re better at taking down her defence!”

   “I am so much ashamed that you are my other half.” evil Fox Lady agrees.

   That got Yamauchi all flustered.

   “J-J-Just you watch! I shall impress you in a moment!” she stutters.

   Jin sees this and sees three children arguing with each other. Three really, really old children. All this while, he was silent and tried again and again to attack evil Fox Lady. Again and again, he was thwarted by either her barrier, her lightning bolts or her fireballs. Her barrier could at least be neutralized by Yamauchi, but her evil half would always use a back-up youjutsu to prevent her from being attacked.

   Shuten Douji charges forward with a roar and tries to brain evil Fox Lady with his club. He instantly got blown away by a strong gust of wind. Jin tries his luck next. A wall of solid mud appeared from the ground. He sliced it apart, only to find himself almost zapped by a lightning bolt. Once he dealt with it, he got trapped inside a ferocious whirlpool.

   Evil Fox Lady is halting his advances while doing to same with Shuten Douji and at the same time continuing the shoot down with Yamauchi. And to top it all of, she can still afford to look relaxed. The title of one of the Three Great Youkais is definitely not wasted on her. Yamauchi, on the other hand…

   “Kyaa!”

   She let out a girlish scream. Jin risks being attacked and turns around. He sees the spot next to her being burnt.

   “What was that?”

   “A fireball almost hit me!”

   “...That’s it?”

   “Whatever do you mean by “that’s it”? It would have damaged me if it hits!”

   “Well it didn’t, so stop overreacting.”

   “Even if you say that-”

   Evil Fox Lady lets out a cackle.

   “You must have been living such a sheltered life if you got frightened by a mere fireball!” she chortles.

   Yamauchi puffs up her cheeks in anger.

   “I shall make you know fear!” she shouts as she fires a barrage of fireballs.

   One of the fireballs fired by Yamauchi flies past evil Fox Lady’s left cheek. Another inch to the right, and it would have hit her face. Even so, her facial expression didn’t change at all.

   “You missed.” Jin points out the obvious.

   Yamauchi grits her teeth.

   “Yes, I know Minase-dono.”

   “You missed a huge chance on defeating her.”

   “Yes. I know.”

   “Maybe I should have continued to side with that Tamamo no Mae.” Shuten Douji mumbles.

   “Oh, don’t you start too!”

   Evil Fox Lady joins in by giving her other half a smug and condescending smile.

   “Would you like me to give you a lesson?” she asks with a tone similar with the one used when an adult is talking to a child.

   “No, that would not be necessary.” Yamauchi declines firmly.

   “Don’t be shy now.” evil Fox Lady purrs. “If you would be so kind as to offer your face as a target practice, I-”

   She was interrupted yet again when Jin was trying to take advantage of the opening. Yet again, he was repelled near effortlessly.

   Evil Fox Lady glares at him.

   “You have interrupted me on multiple occasions. Have you not been told that it’s rude to barge in when someone is talking?” she chides.

   Jin merely shrugs.

   “I hate unskippable quick-time events.”

   “What even is that?”

   Yamauchi stops firing fireballs and raises up her right hand.

   “Oh oh, I know! It is something that you find in certain video games, correct?”

   Even her other half has stop her attacks.

   “Why do you even know that?”

   “What even is a video game?”

   Jin and evil Fox Lady ask almost at the same time.

   “A video game is a form of entertainment invented by the humans. You play them by having something called a game console.” Yamauchi explains to her other half while looking a little smug.

   Evil Fox Lady looks lost. An understandable reaction, considering the fact that she most probably hasn’t mingled with the humans for a long, long time.

   “As to your question, Minase-dono, I have tried my hands on some. It was quite a fun experience.” Yamauchi brags.

   Based on how bad she was with a computer, Jin could tell that Marika did most of the set-up. The poor servant must have gone through a lot.

   “And why are you telling me this?” evil Fox Lady couldn’t help but ask.

   “Oh, it was nothing much. I just wanted to prove that you are the real frog in the well.”

   Evil Fox Lady shakes her head in disgust.

   “My other half is both frail and childish…” she mumbles.

   “Am not! Besides, you were the one who started it!”

   “Me? You were so pathetic I can’t help but being disgusted!”

   “Is that how you are going to describe someone who is literally another you?”

   “Can we just cut down with this petty squabble?” Jin asks.

   “Quiet, you!”

   The two of them said in perfect synchronization.

   Jin suddenly realizes that the three of them are having a conversation while everyone else is fighting for their lives. That includes Shuten Douji. All this while, he was frantically trying to bash evil Fox Lady, even though the latter isn’t even paying attention to him.

   “Your head is mine!” he yells.

   Without looking, she sent Shuten Douji flying with a gust of wind.

   “Aaaaaaaaaargh~!!!”

   He managed to hold on by planting his club at the ground below him. Once the wind has subsided, he charges back to the scene.

   “Enough with the pointless chatter! All of you should come at me with everything that you got!” evil Fox Lady taunts.

   This is going to be more difficult than he thought. Again, his side doesn’t have much time, so they can’t waste time any more than necessary.

   …Wait, something that evil Fox Lady said just now gives Jin an idea.

   “I am so much ashamed that you are my other half.” she said.

   Her “other half”. Indeed, the fox ears and tails, looks, most abilities. Minus their personality, they are completely alike. With that in mind, their thought process are most probably the same as well. In other words…

   “Let’s all go back in one piece and have some inari sushi together.” Jin tells Yamauchi.

   “Indeed. That sounds very nice.” she agrees.

   WAG! WAG! WAG! WAG! WAG! WAG!

   For a single moment, evil Fox Lady wagged her tails. All six of them. She stopped wagging them, but it was already too late. Almost immediately, her face has become completely red, and her fox ears have drooped down. She also looks extremely ashamed of herself.

   “Yup. These two are definitely two halves of a whole being.” Jin mumbles.

   “What’s that supposed to mean, Minase-dono?” Yamauchi demands.

   “It means that she’s as crazy for inari sushi as you are!” Shuten Douji laughs.

   “I at least have some self-control, particularly when I am in the middle of a battle!” Yamauchi protests.

   Jin raises his eyebrow.

   “That coming from someone who ordered a crazy amount of those things?” Jin asks.

   That got Yamauchi all tongue-tied.

   “No, I, um, it’s not what you think! It’s, er, that’s right! I was thinking that I could beat the three of you even though you’re outnumbering me!” evil Fox Lady tries to talk her way out of this embarrassing situation.

   Jin merely shrugs off her excuse.

   “We all have something we like. Nothing to be ashamed about it.” he tells her.

   “Exactly. I mean, I love my booze, and I’m proud to admit it.” Shuten Douji agrees.

   Yamauchi rolls her eyes.

   “You have to admit, our obsession is nothing compared to his. Just look at what it did to him. He is mostly brain-dead.” she says while pointing at the oni.

   “Hey!” he protests.

   Yamauchi suddenly steps forward. Both her hands are raised to show that she means no harm.

   “Let us cease this fight and talk it over instead. I am sure that we could reach an understanding.” she tells her other half with a soothing tone.

   “Don’t come near!” the said evil half screeches.

   “It is alright. I just want to-”

   “STOP!

   She was so loud the entire battlefield got quiet. Jin looks over and sees that literally everyone, human or otherwise, has stopped what they were doing.

   “You have no idea what I’ve been through…”

   Jin looks back at evil Fox Lady. She has squatted down, and she’s holding her neck with both her hands.

   “Every night. Literally every night, I remember the pain that hunter gave me. The sensation when he grabbed my head, the feeling I had when his sword chopped off my head-”

   She shudders violently.

   “Ever since then, not a day passed by when I wasn’t haunted by the memory. For centuries, I have lose sleep every time I recalled that nightmarish scene. From the bottom of my heart, I swore that I will make humans suffer. Not just his descendants, but all of humanity. No one shall escape my wrath.” she whispers with tears in her eyes.

   And then, black miasma appear from her body. More than ever, Jin could feel the sorrow, the pain and the wrath evil Fox Lady had been feeling all these times. She looks up. Her eyes are shining with the same emotions.

   “If all of you insist that you want to stand in my way, so be it. I shall eliminate you, even if it’s the last thing I ever do.” she says with a soft voice.

   In the matter of seconds, the miasma spread throughout the entire area. Well. This is bad.

37