Chapter 4: Targetted
192 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4: Targetted

10 years ago, there was once a fearsome assassin on Earth.

He killed various officials and conglomerate leaders as he left numerous dead bodies in his wake.

To date, no one has still seen a glimpse of his shadow, much less catch him.

People used to call him the Ghost. Or Phantom.

Some called him Zero.

The Grim Reaper.

The Unknown.

He has had many names as no one knew what to call him by.

All of his deeds were covered up by the authorities in an attempt to stop any public unrest. Still, no mouth could stay tight-lipped forever.

Eventually, people began to be aware of his existence.

It was a chaotic era.

However, 10 years ago, when Earth has entered the intergalactic era, that man stopped dropping bodies, seemingly disappearing into nothing, without anyone still knowing his true identity.

Some say that he finally died.

Others say that he was taken in by aliens.

His existence slowly faded in time, becoming nothing more than an urban legend. A myth even.

A story parents say to scare their child to behave.

"And you're telling me...this guy is in this Hub living among us!?"

Sergeant Michael Collins frowned as he slammed onto the desk, scaring the soldier in front of him.

"S-sir yes sir!"

"What evidence do you have, soldier!? Do you know the consequences of what you're saying!?"

The soldier tensed up and remained in attention as he tried his best to explain.

"S-sir! I was once stationed on Earth as a police officer before moving into the army! I've personally been involved in the investigation pertaining to this man! Everything...the state of the bodies...the fact that no one has ever seen it happen or raised any commotion...and the tampered surveillance...all of it are similar to his way of operating in the past! This must be him!"

Sergeant Michael frowned even further.

He looked out the window of his office and saw the other soldier stop what they're doing, seemingly trying to listen in on their conversation.

His face darkened.

"What bullshit evidence is that!? Clearly, you still enjoy your days as a police officer! You're hereby dismissed! Get the hell out of my office!"

"B-but sir! If we don't take action now-"

"I SAID YOU'RE DISMISSED! AND ALL OF YOU OUTSIDE! GET BACK TO WORK!!!"

"...Sir yes sir."

The soldier gritted his teeth and could only salute.

Just as he was about to turn around and leave the office to pack up his things, Sergeant Michael called out to him.

"Steve, are you an idiot? It was fine if you want to say such things but you didn't need to raise your voice and let others hear it!"

Sergeant Michael spoke in a hushed tone as he approached Steve. He looked out the window and saw no one paying attention to them anymore.

"Sir?"

"Listen up. Everything about that guy is too sensitive to discuss. We can't let the public know of this even if we're sure it was him!"

Sergeant Michael narrowed his eyes and stared at Steve intently.

"That's why I need you to go back to being a police officer. Investigate the matter clearly and secretly! Just follow along with their investigations for now but find opportunities to link that guy to this incident! As long as we have enough evidence...those above will need to take action!"

Steve realized what he meant and saluted once more.

"Sir yes sir!"

"Good! NOW GET THE HELL OUT OF MY OFFICE!!!"

"Y-yes!"

The next day. Sector 17 High school.

Lucas entered the classroom and saw Adam and the others chatting normally inside.

"Adam, Jason, Claire, and the rest who were with you yesterday. It's fine if you all didn't come to school today, you know? After what you've been through, the school would understand if you were absent for a few days."

"Haha! Mr. White, don't worry! Aren't we all safe? There's no need to skip classes for that."

Adam just laughed.

Lucas nodded. Since they don't mind, then there's no reason for him to mind it as well.

"Alright, since you've said that, there's a surprise quiz today."

"Ehhhhh?"

"...Actually, I think I'm still feeling under the weather. Can I go?"

Jason quickly tried to make up some excuse.

"Nope. Get back to your seats."

Lucas mercilessly denied him and tapped onto his desk.

A screen appeared on his desk which he tapped a few more times.

The next moment, screens appeared on everyone's desk as well, showing their tests.

Lucas was a maths teacher so naturally, the questions were all math-related.

The students complained a bit before giving in and start answering.

At first, they thought it would be a hard test but as they began to answer, they realized that the questions were actually easy!

It was similar to the exampled that Lucas gave them while discussing, just changed the numbers for a different answer.

Slowly, the classroom became silent as the students answered their tests in peace.

Lucas smiled as he saw their expressions.

Soon, everyone finished their tests and submitted them.

Lucas took a look at his screen and nodded as he saw they all had an average of 90 points, with a few even scoring 100.

"Alright, good work everyone. Since you all finished early, just relax for now and wait for the next class."

"Woohoo!"

"Damn, I can't believe I actually scored above 90 this time!"

"I scored above 50 for the first time! 86 points! Huhu, I'll keep this exam and show it to my mom!"

"I finally got 100 in math! Wahahaha!"

"Shut up you damn nerd! Dammit, I only got 99! That was such a waste!"

Everyone began to cheer and laugh amongst themselves.

Adam saw his classmates' expressions and smiled.

Earlier, they were all down and unmotivated when they heard the attack that happened in Sector 15. Even Adam and the others involved weren't in a good mood as well.

Adam himself tried to lift everyone's mood with his charisma and laughter so it appears that they were all acting normally.

But with this, the mood was back up again just like that. No, it was even better than before.

He smiled and walked towards Lucas who was organizing his files on his desk.

"Mr. White, thank you."

"Hm? It's the first time someone is thanking me for a surprise quiz."

Adam laughed.

"That's not it. You made the test so easy in order to improve everyone's mood right?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Adam rolled his eyes.

"Sure, sure. Keep acting ignorant!"

Lucas chuckled.

"I heard what happened yesterday. Although everything worked out well, do not try and stand out if something similar happens next time. Even if everyone treats you as a hero, you are still just a student to me. If you do something stupid like that again..."

Lucas narrowed his eyes.

"I'll make you write a 2000-word essay for your reflection."

"...I-I understand..."

Adam broke into a cold sweat.

2000 words...damn! This guy is so brutal!

Even this chapter doesn't have that much word count!

After a while, class ended and Lucas left the classroom to return to the faculty office.

On his way there, he came across Linda who was headed to his class just now.

"Ms. Blanc, good morning."

"Ah, Lu-... Mr. White. Good morning too."

Linda smiled and greeted him back.

"It's good that you've stopped crying now."

"T-that was-!"

Linda's face blushed as she remembered what happened yesterday and the embarrassing display she made in front of Lucas.

Now that her father had safely been rescued, it finally sank into her how embarrassing she looked like before.

She even had Lucas escort her back home!

Her face continued to turn red as she thought of that.

Linda glared at Lucas and angrily stepped on his foot.

"!!!"

"???"

However, when she did, why did it seem like she was the one that got hurt instead?

Lucas stared at her in confusion, wondering what all that was about.

"...Are you alright?"

"...I'm fine!"

Linda glared at him again and hummed cutely as she turned away.

But after taking a few steps forward, she paused and asked.

"Mr. White...do you have time later today?"

"I think so. Why?"

"I'll treat you to dinner...in exchange, please forget my embarrassing self yesterday!"

Lucas chuckled.

"Alright. I'll wait in the parking lot then."

Linda turned around and smiled brightly.

"Un!"

Afterward, she turned and skipped happily into the classroom.

Inside the classroom, the students were all confused seeing Linda in a happy tone.

Although she was also like so before, it felt different today.

The girls took this chance to gossip and asked.

"Ms. Blanc! You look to be in such a happy mood today! Did you get a boyfriend!?"

"What!? Nooooo! My Ms. Blanc~!!!"

"Who's yours!? She's mine! Nooooo~!!!"

Linda just rolled her eyes and explained.

"Alright, settle down everyone. I don't have a boyfriend, can't I just be in a good mood!? With that said, surprise quiz!!!"

As she said that, she had already sent everyone their tests.

"EHHHHHHH?"

"Not you too!?"

Seeing their reactions, Linda tilted her head.

"What do you mean?"

Adam smiled wryly and explained.

"Mr. White gave us a surprise quiz just now and you also gave one. Did you too agree on it or something? Are the other teachers also in on it too?"

Adam took a look at the test and saw they were all easy questions too.

Linda was an English teacher. Since their main language was English in the first place, her tests are actually easy before but she would always use complicated words in the past which aren't used much.

But looking at the test now, everything was simple and wasn't so difficult.

"You even made such an easy test like Mr. White."

"H-he did that?"

Back in the faculty office, Lucas rearranged his stuff then stood up to head to his next class.

He was about to leave the office when he suddenly paused for a brief moment before walking away. As soon as he turned to a corner, his figure disappeared completely.

Meanwhile, on top of a building a few blocks away.

Two men could be seen lying on their bellies at the edge.

One of them held binoculars while the other held a sniper rifle.

The two of them pressed onto their earpiece and spoke.

"Target confirmed."

"I have him in my sights too. I have a clear shot."

If one could look through the scope, one would see a man in the crosshairs to be...Adam!

Then, from their earpiece, a voice spoke.

"Kill him."

The man holding the sniper tapped his finger on the earpiece to stop communicating for a while then placed his finger on the trigger. Just as he was thinking of pressing it, he was suddenly no longer able to feel his finger.

Confused, he looked at his finger and saw that it was actually cut off completely!

He quickly rolled to the side and got into a defensive position as he looked around.

However, he wasn't able to find anyone near him at all.

When he looked at his spotter who was beside him the whole time, he was surprised to see that he was already dead! Beheaded silently without him even noticing it!

Just as he was thinking of escaping, he found that he was no longer able to move.

Looking closely, there were several threads enveloping his body.

"W-wha-!?"

"Don't move."

Lucas appeared behind the man as he wore a glove with threads coming out of the wrist.

He had grabbed the threads and with only a slight pull, the sniper would be cut into pieces.

The sniper knew this as he could feel the threads tightening around his body.

"Wh-who are you!?"

"You're not the ones to ask questions here. Tell me, why are you targeting my student?"

"S-student? You...you're a teacher!?"

"Answer me."

Lucas tightened his grip.

"I-I don't know! We just got contracted for this work! Some guy paid us to kill the kid!"

"...Is he the one in your earpiece right now?"

"Y-yea-"

Lucas no longer dilly-dallied and tugged onto the threads. The threads hummed softly and glowed a faint light. Instantly, the sniper was cut into pieces.

Alone, the threads actually would need a lot of strength to be able to slice through human flesh and bones.

However, his threads weren't normal and capable of emitting highly concentrated energy through them, making it easy to cut through anything as if they were made of butter.

Lucas bent down and took the earpiece on the sniper's ear.

He then pulled out a device from his pocket and placed the earpiece on it.

After a while, the screen displayed a map with a red blinking dot.

The red dot appeared and reappeared all over the map for a while which meant that someone was bouncing his signal to avoid getting his location.

However, Lucas simply waited 2 more seconds and the red dot finally settled on a fixed location.

It was in Sector 12.

Lucas stared at the map for a while and picked up the earpiece as he put it on his own ear.

He tapped on it and spoke in a voice similar to the sniper's.

"Kill shot made."

Then, he went to the spotter's corpse, picked up his earpiece as well, and replaced the one in his ear as he spoke in another voice.

"Kill confirmed."

The person on the other end fell silent for a while before speaking.

"Good. I've transferred the money to your account."

Lucas looked through the spotter's corpse and found his phone.

There was a notification there that 5 million USD has been transferred.

"I've received it. A pleasure doing business with you."

Although his tone sounded excited, his actual expression was cold and his eyes glinted a dangerous light.

He tossed both earpieces to the floor and crushed them under his foot.

12