Chapter 16. Nightly Visit
1.5k 7 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I suddenly awoke with strong feelings of anxiety and surprise. My head shot up and I looked around for any enemies that might be approaching. My ears twitched as I was feeling around, but I noticed my ear was hitting something. I turned to look at what was emanating the emotions that woke me. It was Robin looking at me with her eyes a little wider than usual. I sighed and shook my head while leaning straight back in my seat again. “Bad dream?” She spoke with mirth in her voice while giving me a calming smile. It was all an act though, I could feel her anxiety and sadness. 

 

I shook my head at her and chuckled. “No, it was someone else's nightmare apparently.” I could feel her confusion at what I just said, but I didn’t want her to know I could feel all of her true emotions she kept hidden on full display. It turns out we had made it to the palace while I was asleep, the road was extra bumpy at this point. ‘No wonder Robin would have a nightmare here.’ What I didn’t know was that Robin was wide awake the whole time, that anxiety was from something else.

 

We made it inside the castle, and were given a large feast to enjoy for the night. The boys all ran to the closest seats and began chowing down in their fashion. I smiled at the scene. It reminded me of the last large family dinner at Thanksgiving I had. It was bittersweet, but still sweet. I smiled somewhat sadly and made my way to a seat. It was the seat between Robin and Vivi again. I felt a little weird about that happening twice, but it was good for me to be close to Robin.

 

Everyone had a great time laughing, dancing, and eating. Even Robin felt happy watching the crew like I did. I wasn’t really the type to be loud like Luffy, I was more reserved like Robin. After everyone had finished eating and Luffy’s stomach expanded to about 10 times its normal size he promptly passed out. Everyone else was getting tired and we all decided to head off to our rooms. Since we helped stop a war, the king was kind enough for each of us to get our own personal rooms to stay in the castle.

 

I made sure to memorize Robin’s Aura before we left each other. I already talked about how beaten it was, but making sure I memorized all of that pain made me sick. I was sick that she was in that pain, and that it might always be there. I know mine certainly was. I heard a knock on my door, and immediately knew who it was. “You can come in Vivi.” I could feel her anxiety, but she came in anyway. I was sitting on my bed while training my Aura.

 

I let out a sigh when I was done, and looked at her. Vivi’s emotions were full of anxiety and confusion. “You don’t know if you can travel with us anymore… Do you?” Vivi froze and stiffened up at my question hitting bullseye. She looked down and just grabbed the hem of her night gown. “You are the oldest in the crew. I need your help.” She spoke quietly and without ever looking up. I sighed again, I knew what it was like to have no real direction, but I’ve never had a cross-road in my life before. 

 

“Sit down.” I patted the spot on the bed next to me. Vivi stood still for a bit, but quietly walked over and sat down next to me. “You love the people here. You want to help them, even at the cost of your life. You saved so many people from killing each other. But the country is still in ruins economically. The people need your help to keep this country afloat. That is the job of rulers and kings. There is always something to be done. Your work is never truly finished. Unless you abandon your duties.”

 

I could feel Vivi’s anxiety turning into anger. I smiled and patted her back. She gasped a bit and froze up again. “I know you would never abandon your people. You already have your answer, you just don’t know what to say to the rest of the crew.” I felt her emotions some more. She was feeling acceptance, but also sadness. I placed my paw on her back and just patted and rubbed it.

We sat together like that for a while before Vivi spoke up again. “Will we see each other again?” I sighed at the truth. “Probably not for years.” I felt Vivi getting downcast at that bit of honesty. “You have to help your people, but Luffy and the rest need to travel the world.” Vivi’s emotions seemed to react to something that I said though. “What about you?” I looked at her with surprise. ‘She wants me to stay? I don’t remember her asking any of the rest to stay.’ I sighed again at the bad news I would have to tell her. She seemed to pick up on it, and her emotions took another dive.

 

“What I want to do is go on adventures. Being with the Straw Hats was the most fun I’ve had in years.” She nodded solemnly with a defeated smile. “But that doesn’t mean we can’t keep in touch.” She then looked at me with surprise and a little hope. “Den Den Mushi’s exist. We could always just get one for the crew to talk to you on set days. It won’t be as fun without you, but at least we’ll have something.”

 

Vivi just stared at me as her emotions were going through what seemed like a mixer. I could hardly read anything with all that was going through her mind. It eventually stopped and only one very strong emotion remained; Happiness. So much happiness that I couldn’t help but smile, and chuckle at what I was feeling. It was strange, it was someone else's emotion, but I was feeling like it was mine as well. I thought back to the few drinks I had at dinner. ‘Maybe alcohol makes happiness more easy or powerful for me to feel.’

 

Vivi then suddenly moved, and before I could react, she wrapped her arms around me. I stiffened at her sudden hugging, but that only seemed to make her happier. She rubbed her head against mine, feeling my fur against her cheek. After a bit she was done, and moved back to look at me. I had my frown and she could see me blushing through my fur. I felt her happiness rise even more as she giggled. “Thank you Calvin, I think I found my answer.” She then got up, and walked out of my room without another word.

59