Chapter 2 — Neighbours
376 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  • Side: Toru Nakamura

The classroom was never quiet after the sudden arrival of Shizuka Tsukihara — the national goddess. After class, people surrounded her like moths attracted to fire, asking her questions and flirting with her.

I took a glimpse, and saw her smiling back at everyone that had greeted her, she had a smile on her face, but her eyes were not smiling. I know her well enough to notice that.

“Are you not interested? Toru?”

“Not the least bit.”

Eiji turned towards me, and put his head on my table. 

“Ah, I knew there was something wrong with you, you never seem to like girls.”

“Now, that’s a pretty bad impression you have on your best friend.”

The reason I was not attracted to girls was because I had gotten used to Shizuka’s beauty, so no girl at school appealed to me.

“Mika is talking to her, huh? Not surprising, they are friends after all.”

He stared at the two girls by the window, two beautiful and cute girls laughing together was a sore sight for all men.

“Are you eating a bento again?”

“Yes of course, my girlfriend made it!”

“Sigh, you and your lovesick habit.”

My mind suddenly remembered the bento Shizuka cooked for me. It was bad, but I ate it because I didn’t want to make her sad. Looking back now, I feel stupid for eating it so obediently and calling it delicious.

I bought a lunch ticket and took a seat in the canteen. Eiji was sitting opposite me. Mika sat next to Eiji, and constantly putting vegetables in his box, I could almost feel him crying.

I looked over at where the canteen was the busiest. There was a crowd there, so I couldn’t actually see what the fuss was about. Until I caught a glimpse of silver-white hair. Ah, so that’s why.

Apparently, she was surrounded by her fans, who wanted her autograph.

“Tsukihara-san is really popular, huh?”

Eiji started the conversation with a question, he followed my gaze and saw Shizuka as well. Mika replied to his question.

“Hmm? Of course! Even in the company, she’s really popular with the workers.”

“Wonder why she doesn’t have a boyfriend or two…”

Pfft.

I spat out the water I was drinking onto Eiji’s face, startling him. He glared back at me and wiped the water of his face.

Well, she doesn’t have a boyfriend. But she does have an ex-boyfriend.

I thought.

“What was that about, bro?”

“Sorry, spaced out a little.”

“Sheesh.”

Eiji ignored me and kept eating his bento made by his girlfriend, flirting at the same time.

Ugh. My brain is full of sweets right now.

“Time to go home!!”

Mika pumped her fist into the air in a triumphant position, and Eiji laughed heartily, leading her out of the classroom 

“See you tomorrow, Toru.”

“Yes, see you tomorrow.”

I went out of the school building and walked down the main street towards my apartment. I had quitted my part-time job to focus on my studies, which were dropping.

On the way, I met a familiar silhouette. It was Shizuka Tsukihara.

There were four men surrounding her, it appears that they weren’t the nice kind of men.

Shizuka kept glancing around at the people passing by, but they took a glance at the bulky men and averted their eyes.

“Hey, you free now?”

“Do you know, you really look like someone I know.”

I intended to pass by her as well, it was none of my business. But looking at her terrified expression made memories come rushing back into my head.

Ugh. I can’t just leave her be.

I shouted.

“Hey, lay off her!”

It was a very stupid thing to do.

The men looked at the scrawny me and laughed.

“What’s that? A boy?”

Without another moment of waiting, I brandished a kick at the leader, who failed to block it and ended up collapsing on the spot, his nose bleeding.

I should’ve say this earlier, but I’m also a black belt in karate.

“Are you alright?”

“I-I’m fine, thank you.”

“No problem, goodbye.”

She kept walking along Main Street, and I walked right behind her. Huh? Does she live nearby as well? I had been to her house before, but it wasn’t near these parts.

“Hey, are you following me?”

“Huh? No! My house is this way too.”

“...Alright.”

She didn’t seem convinced, but it was the truth, my house was indeed at the end of the street.

Five minutes later…

“You really are following me.”

“No, I’m not. Just so you know, I don’t want to get involved with you.”

“But you just saved me back then.”

“I would’ve done that to anyone, much less my classmate.

She looked away and I couldn’t help but feel guilty.

  • Side: Shizuka Tsukihara 

I was scared.

I was on my way back home, when four bulky men surrounded me, tempting me to go with them.

“Let’s have a fun time together.”

“We promise you’ll have a blast.”

I ignored them, and glared at them, letting them know that I wasn’t the least bit interested. One of them reached for me when…

“Hey, lay off her!”

It was my ex-boyfriend — Toru Nakamura.

I would rather have any other person in the world save me…

I thanked him and decided to walk home as quick as possible, as to refrain from having too much contact with him.

I walked a few paces. He was behind me.

Five minutes later…

He was still behind me.

“You really are following me.”

“No, I’m not. Just so you know, I don’t want to get involved with you.”

“But you just saved me back then.”

“I would’ve done that to anyone, much less my classmate.

A searing pain spread through my heart at a quick pace. No, we aren’t a couple now, there’s no need to be down at what he said. 

I calmed down, and the pain slowly subsided.

We walked at the same pace, it didn’t feel uncomfortable, as I was used to it. The problem is…

Why is he still walking with me?!

I stopped at the lobby of my apartment and looked back, he was still there. He looked as surprised as I am.

“Is this where you live, Nakamura-san?”

“Coincidentally, yes…”

So he was just living in the same apartment as me.

I was unlocking my door when…

Huh?

Toru stood next to me, opening the door of the flat next to mine. His face was pale white and his mouth was left agape. I had the same expression. I quickly came to the conclusion that…

We are neighbours.

Result today: 

Both were absolutely defeated!! Earning a double attack to themselves as they found out that they were neighbours. Although I thought it was Toru’s win, as he saved Shizuka from the men.

7