Chapter 4: Luna vs Demise, the Explosive Devout
233 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Samira stood on one of the rooftops of Andreas' college campus. Luna's warning from the previous night fresh in her mind. She never thought she would have to be down here this long. 

To Samira, all of these humans were the same. Going from one place to the next following the path they believe is right. Samira hated how orderly they tried to make their lives on a daily basis. It disgusted her.

Now, however, Samira was stuck here for a few days. Forced to walk among the humans she despised so much. At least now, it seemed things wouldn't be as boring for her.


Earlier that day


"What do you mean devout?" Andreas asked, preparing to go to another day of college.

Luna and Samira were explaining the presences Luna felt before. Three with malicious intent.

"A Goddess can bless humans with magic." Samira explained. "These humans become a Goddess' devout, and serve them in this world."

"So why are they here now?" Andreas wondered.

"That's what we're trying to figure out." Luna said, stretching. "These three are the annoyingest though."

Andreas cringed at the bad grammar.

"Slumber, the child control type..." Samira started

"Control type?" Andreas interrupted, clearly annoying Samira. "Like in a video game or something?"

"Magic comes in three types." Samira sighed. "Control, which allows users to manipulate and control certain things. Physical, like Luna, where the user has the ability to manipulate their physical capabilities or summon weapons. Finally we have arcane, like me, where users have ranged abilities and spells that cause massive damage."

Andreas nodded to show he understood.

"As I was saying before you interrupted me." Samira snipped, giving Andreas a dirty look. "Slumber is a control type. She is able to produce a miasma that places humans, and weak minded beings in a deep sleep. She can also control the molecular structure of any inorganic matter that touches her body. Demise is an arcane type. He can produce orbs that cause explosions on contact or on command."

Samira paused, briefly showing fear.

"Finally, there's the strongest of them." Samira said. "Acolyte, the physical type. He can absorb magical energy with one hand, and use that energy against his opponent with his other hand. He isn't naturally strong, however, he becomes stronger the longer the fight drags on."

"Right, so avoid these guys." Andreas deduced. "You said they follow a Goddess right? Which one do they follow?"

"Thalia, the Goddess of Death." Samira said.


Present Time


Luna sat in her class, trying to make sense of the numbers in front of her.

I have no idea why I put myself through this crap! Luna thought. Why do I even need to know math outside of battle?

Luna placed her cheek in her palm. Trying not to fall asleep.

At least the old book class I have with that human is interesting.

Suddenly, a jolt startled Luna. She could feel the intense malice coming from somewhere nearby. She smiled, knowing a fight was coming soon. 

Luna heard a loud thud come from where the professor was standing. Luna turned to see that her boring instructor was passed out sleeping. That's when she noticed, she was the only one in the classroom that was awake.

Looks like that little shit already started. Luna thought to herself. Then she realized something. I need to get to Smart Guy!

Luna shot out of her seat and into the hallway. She ran as fast as she could, knowing she was at a disadvantage in this building.

I can't fight in an enclosed space like this. Luna thought. At least not with my larger weapons. Father won't like it if we kill a bunch of humans, even on accident. I'm sure they're sending Demise after me. He's my weakness. I gotta get somewhere open.

Luna wasn't the brightest when it came to general knowledge and book smarts. Luna, however, was a genius when it came to battle strategy. She can even predict her opponent's strategy and try to work against it.

Luna continued running, her heels the only noise in the silent building. Sleeping humans were dotted throughout. She rounded a corner and, as she did, a small yellow orb was there to greet her. Luna barely had time to jump out of the way before the thing caused a powerful explosion. The shockwave still sent her flying into a wall. It was just as she thought.

Luna shook off the force and stood up. Standing at the other end of the hallway, his head nearly touching the seven foot ceiling, was Demise. As usual, he was shirtless, his tribal tattoos decorated his pale skin. That included his bald head. His toothy grin always seemed to piss Luna off.

"Sup' ginger." he mocked, his blood red eyes trained on Luna.

"At least I have hair you bald bastard!" Luna snipped back. "I see you're still wearing the pants that are two sizes too small."

Luna poked fun at the pants that were singed at his bare ankles.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Luna asked, though she figured the answer already.

"I'm just here to keep you away from the human." Demise answered. "My dear Goddess wants that book. You and that bitchy sister of yours don't need to be getting in the way."

Demise opened his palm towards Luna.

Looks like baldy is done talking. Luna thought, readying herself.

Three small orbs formed in front of his palm. He fired them in Luna's direction. Luna ran in the opposite direction, back around the corner. The orbs followed her, chasing their prey.

Not goodLuna thought. I can't let these humans die. What a pain!

Still running, Luna reached her hand out. Her magic flowed through her body, calling a short sword in her open palm. She leapt forward, twisting her body around to face the orbs. She used the short sword to knock one orb into another, causing them both to explode. The third one, seemingly alive, curved around the explosion.

Damn, I thought that would get all three.

The final orb followed Luna through the twist and turns of the large building. Luna had to think of something to get into an open space.

While lost in her thoughts, there was an explosion in front of her. Coming from the wall.

Shit! He got around me! Luna thought, being knocked back by the explosion. The force allowed the other orb to reach its target, causing another explosion that sent Luna slamming to the ground.

"Loosing your edge, Goddess of War?" Demise snickered, walking through the newly created hole in the wall.

That gave Luna an idea.

If I can't get outside, and there's no open spaces. I'll just have to force him to make some!

Luna stood up, shaking off the blow like it was nothing.

"Is that all you got?" Luna mocked. "I've taken stronger hits from little girls."

Demise got agitated. All a part of Luna's plan.

"Is that so?" He said, creating a much larger orb. It was almost the size of Luna's head. He was too easy to anger. "Let's see you shake this off!"

He sent the orb barreling towards Luna, who was smiling.

Gotcha! 

Luna turned the sword into a large shield that touched the walls of the hallway. The force of the explosion still pushed Luna back a couple of inches.

Hopefully this worked.

Luna dissipated the shield, and she snickered. The blast did exactly what she wanted it to do. The walls on either side were gone, revealing the empty classrooms. The ceiling panels were gone as well, causing a gain of another three or four feet in height. This was all Luna needed.

Demise's smile faded as he realized his mistake.

"Aw, where's that smile now?" Luna mocked. Demise sneered at the crimson Goddess. "I guess I can have a little fun now."

Luna dissipated the sword and held her hand out in front of her.

I call upon the rage of war. Her mantra started. Come to me! Realmsplitter!

A red glow illuminated the entire area, nearly blinding Demise. When the light faded, Luna's hand was no longer empty. 

In it, was a buster sword at least eight feet in length. The blade was all black with the edges being a bright crimson. Etched into the blade were red symbols in the language of the Divine that read Realmsplitter. This was Luna's Celestial Artifact. A Goddess' unique weapon.

Luna swung the blade vertically towards Demise, who barely managed to dodge. The energy from the blade cut through the ceiling and straight through the wall behind Death's devout. Explosions echoed after the swing, causing the entire wall where the blade cut to explode out, revealing the outside.

Demise was slow to get up, the blast disorienting him. Before he could stand fully, Luna appeared behind him, using the side of her hand to knock him out.

Now that he's taken care of. Luna started. I should probably make sure Smart Guy is alright.

Luna dissipated the sword, and leapt through the hole she created.

10