Games in Hell
405 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 17

Unfortunately, Pandora’s intuition and hunches never failed her. The bad feeling she had at the station came to be true when there was one more uninvited, unwelcome, figure on the Hell Train.

As there happened to be an unwanted figure introducing himself as the Slayer Candidate for the criminal syndicate, FUG.

FUG never shared good blood with any of the 10 families nor those who had sworn loyalty to Jahad’s empire. FUG’s goal, which few understand, was to overthrow the ruling class after all. How they planned to kill those who had attained both immortality, invulnerability, and powers beyond comprehension…that was beyond her knowledge.

All she knew was that their hopes laid in their gods; the Slayers. Those who showed potential would be given the title of ‘Slayer Candidates’, as such was the case of ‘Hoaquin’ as he addressed himself.

(AN: It’s hard to agree on an English name of Hoaquin. The wiki says Hoaqin, some say Hoakin, and others say Hoaquin. As someone who speaks Korean, I will say that Hoaquin is the most accurate translation…I think. At least we have ‘White’ though.)

To begin with, FUG (an acronym she believes to be ‘For Unforgettable Grace’ referencing the 13th member of the 12 Great crusaders who had ‘mysteriously’ gone missing during the great civil war) was a sworn enemy of the Empire of Jahad. It was the duty of every soldier, every knight, ranker, and princess of Jahad to put their lives on the line to eliminate the threat.

Slayers were beings called ‘Gods’ by FUG, or rather their god as to serve as the counterpart for the 10 Families and Jahad himself. Fittingly so there were 11 Slayers, each for their targets. Slayer candidates were those who had shown great potential and might reach the level of strength required to fight against the family heads and Jahad. Handpicked from within, they commanded great fear and authority in their own rights.

In truth, they presented little threat to the family heads themselves due to their unreal level of strength, power, and most importantly the contract they had made with the administrators themselves which gave them true immortality and a form of invulnerability.

But to regulars, the family members, the others…FUG was a terrorist organization which commanded fear and slayers (along with those in candidacy) were icons of their power. It was only natural that the ‘Slayer Candidate’ quickly took control of most of the regulars within the train and tried to get all others to submit.

To make matters worse, or personal, for Pandora…was that Hoaquin shared the same tell-tale signs of her family. White hair, bleached white skin, white eyes, and even down to the traditional battle clothes that she wore most of the time. If put side by side, it would be obvious that they were related.

Perhaps due to the passage of time, Hoaquin stood much taller than Pandora but height never mattered much in the tower anyway. What was most important was the sickening feeling within Pandora’s stomach as she saw the similarity between the slayer candidate and her loving father. He had to at least be a direct descendent if not a direct child of his holiness…which would make him her sibling. The thought disgusted her.

Her little group along with the other group (Group Daniel) stayed as far away from Hoaquin as possible.

“So he’s a slayer candidate while you’re a Princess of Jahad? Panny, your family’s more fucked up than I thought!” Yuri chided before dodging a punch which came her way. Contrary to popular belief, Pandora was capable of fighting even without her blade (although it would be considered heresy in the main family).

Lero originally thought that if they, Yuri and Pandora, revealed themselves as princesses of Jahad, they would be able to win back the regulars and gang up on Hoaquin but the plan was quickly scrapped.

First was the logic that Slayer candidates were dangerous…exceptionally so. More than a couple cases were recorded of Slayers (and thus members of FUG) killing or capturing princesses of Jahad. FUG might be few in number but they made sure of their quality like few others.

Second was that…well…while Yuri and Pandora were the rising stars in terms of popularity,  neither were famous for good reason. Pandora was better known for her ‘genocide’ method in mass participant tests while Yuri was generally trigger happy to begin with. Quite so to the point that should they reveal their identities (or rather confirm it as others have begun to doubt), then the regulars and the Slayer candidate may simply choose to gang up on them instead.

Being the (only) level headed member in the team, Lero declared that they would simply stay away from Hoaquin, complete the tests, and get off the train quietly before having Yuri or Pandora alert the Jahad forces of the existence of a Slayer candidate. (Much to the relief of Quant Blitz who was keen on avoiding conflict).

It left a dirty taste in the mouths of both Yuri and Pandora but they understood his reason so they complied…but it’s a shame that things never really go as planned.

… …

As the days (and soon weeks) went by inside the Hell Train, their group (which they decided to call the Alliance for fun) was in the lead compared to the group that the Slayer Candidate was leading.

As per the rules of the Hell Train, depending on how far a group makes it through the train defined which floor they could get to. In hopes of having Hoaquin’s group diminishing floor after floor, the Alliance continued to bulldoze through the tests leaving bloody parts of monsters and Divine Fish in their wake (courtesy of Pandora and Yuri Jahad).

Daniel, Boros, Aka, Roen, Sachi,  would simply watch in awe as tests they considered hard, challenging, and time consuming were literally ripped to shreds. Guardians were nothing more than punching bags, Divine Steel Clad Eels turned into Carbonara, and a yellow haired light bearer (the one who has the light house) literally guessing the answers to riddles that formerly took hours if not days.

“I call hax” Daniel would say before Roen would smack the back of his head. 

Unfortunately, the good times came to an end when the Battle Royale part of the train began. They were only two floors in…perhaps they should have left but no one, not even the train veterans, could have predicted that the Train Conductor would have chosen a Battle Royale between groups to take place so early into the train ride.

“It’s as if the train conductor is part of FUG” Yuri grumbled as she rolled around on the large bed provided for those who made it to this part of the train. There are to be at least two groups competing and as their group and Roen’s had entered into an alliance, they weren’t able to face off each other…not that they wanted to either.

Due to the nature of the tower’s (and thus Hell Train’s tests), it was expected to have casualties. Nobody wanted their friend’s blood on their hands. Thus, they decided to wait. Wait for the only other group on this train at the moment.

They waited for the Slayer Candidate.

… … 

“This is madness” Daniel mumbled as he munched on some crackers. It’s been two weeks waiting for the slow arrival of the Slayer Candidate and his goons. From the Hamburger’s (aka Lero Ro) information from which he got from his Light House, the group was only a day or two away now.

Coke (aka Quant Blitz) was busying screwing around trying to keep his nerves under control. All his time climbing the tower, he was never one to start a (big) fight…or rather ones he wasn’t sure in winning.

It was also why he was significantly older than everyone else in his group. Hamburger (lucky bastard) got his chance with two princesses of Jahad (not one but two!!) and fast traveled his way up the tower. With two unstoppable forces of nature pulling him up, there was no test Lero (or the princesses) would have had to fear, be careful, or put some actual thought into.

Quant? He was just another regular…regular.  A regular regular. Maybe he was above average in his speed and camouflage from the beginning but he was a nobody when Headon came and dropped him off on the second floor. 

He knew that fighting was not his forte so he avoided them as much as he could. He rejected taking tests after doing a thorough background search on his next opponents and instead choosing to play the waiting game where he would try his luck the next time. He spent over 30 years on the 20th floor alone waiting for his perfect opportunity.

Some might call him a coward but this was his way of surviving, climbing, and ultimately being the one to continue. Perhaps it was due to his way of climbing that his shinsu eventually came to match it.

Even when fire flowed through his veins as a member of the Blitz family, the shadows called to him, beckoning him inside. He learned to merge with the darkness itself, hide from sensors, and travel in places without the light. Through all the running he began to run faster and faster…faster than the projectiles his opponents would throw at him.

He entered this tower as a spear bearer but as the days went by, he found himself a scout and an impressive one at that. He was called and became part of many a great teams during his climb up to the 35th Floor due to his reputation. Teams other regulars would beg, pay, and even kill to be a part of although in the end they were not for him.

Strong teams always sought out fame, danger, and wealth…all he wanted for safety. It was at the most ironic of places he found his team.

A team with no name…because there was little reason to have a name for such a powerful team. A 3 man cell composed of one of the best light bearers in D-rank regulars…and two princesses from the 10 families.

Absolutely ridiculous.

To be invited into their fold was to be granted security…but why did he have to find them before going onto the Hell Train of all places?

To make matters worse…the said team, however strong they were, was surely going to struggle against a Slayer Candidate of FUG. Of all the opponents they could have faced, it just had to be a god…didn’t it?

That was just his luck… *sigh* And he was just getting familiar with the nicknames Yuri was giving him.

Hamburger and Coke. Lero-Ro and Quant. For the two of them were always found together…she said that it was a sin to separate the two of them.

A small smile made it to his lips as he remembered the fond memories despite it being less than a month since he had met them. Perhaps he did meet his true team after all this time. It felt…right to be with them. 

He would just have to place his faith in his new teammates for the struggle to come. 

… …

“They’re here” Lero said.

Just as he said that, the ominous dark (steel) double doors swung open revealing a team in the dozens at least. Most likely numbering over a hundred.

A few of their members looked familiar from the Train station while others seemed to have died on the way as their numbers, previously in the multi hundreds, have dwindled greatly; however, the threat was still there as at the head of it all stood the Slayer candidate.

The slayer walked in barefoot, tall androgynous like appearance, with full confidence. His silver eyes and red underlines right below them sweeping the place observing the regulars who were already there. Namely, the ‘alliance’ between team Lero and Aka (who had replaced Daniel as team leader for the time being).

His long straight hair, silver white, almost touching the floor as he walked around the safe-area of the train. A silvery-white crown with small horns adorned his head as if he was some sort of king. His Zweihander (double handed sword/blade) with spiked cross-guards laid lazily on his shoulder with the red jewel in the middle glowing eerily. 

To Pandora, the sight of Hoaquin disgusted her…or more like her sixth sense. Perhaps it was because she herself was doused, washed, and drenched in the stench of death, sins, and evil…but she knew evil when she saw one.

The stench of grief and pain followed the Arie slayer candidate like moths to a flame. She could smell the dead remains of the sorrowful innocents on his blade just like she could with her own. Most of all…her heart pumped as the curses within demanded his blood, his soul, his power.

“Today is a good day! It seems his majesty’s group has finally caught up with the rats!” Hoaquin laughed. A childlike, innocent, voice which didn’t fit the monster he truly was…but then, who was she to judge?

*Zzzt* Attention All Regulars. The two (and only *someone whispers from behind*) Hey! *Zzzt* 

“What was that about?” Daniel murmured 

*Zzzt* Excuse my partner. The two teams have gathered to the testing for the 39th floor. The test will be…Siege Economy! 

“Lero, have you heard of this game before?” Quant asked

“No, though I doubt it’ll be complex. Train games tend to be simple but devastating”

Each team will have two representatives while all others are ‘stored’ as reserves. One ‘King’ who makes all the decisions and one ‘Worker’ who does the missions inside of each team’s base/castle.

“I think I know where this is heading…and I don’t think it’s good for us unless…we get to choose our ‘worker’. That could work…possibly.” Lero muttered

As the ‘Worker’ completes the missions inside the castle, the ‘King’ will receive ‘gold’. More ‘gold’ is given for harder missions.

“But what about the rest of us?” Yuri asked

With the ‘gold’, the ‘King’ can ‘purchase’ the reserves. The purchased reserves, the ‘Knights’, are responsible for defending the castle and Attacking the other team’s castle. Knights will ‘vary’ in cost based on their speculated levels of skill and strength.”

The GOAL is to break the opposing team’s Throne which is inside the Castle. 

The Test location is 3 Compartments ahead. Each team is to take different routes. The test begins in 3 days…Good Luck regulars *Zzzt*

(AN: For those still confused, please search the game ‘Stick Wars’ and play it once or twice. Here, the ‘King’ will be the player (you) while the ‘workers’ are the ‘miners’. The soldiers are purchased with gold and better units cost more. The goal is the break the enemy’s statue but in this ToG game, throne. Hope this helped!)

… …

36 hours later 

The Carbonara Alliance (Pandora would not let it be called anything else) had speed ran through the 3 compartments (and thus 3 tests) like a breeze. The veterans staying back for once not because they wanted the newbies to give it a try but rather because they were ‘unneeded’.

Quant Blitz finally showed his worth to the team as he scouted ahead, brought back valuable intel, sneaked back in, gave crucial coordinates, all while being undetected by enemy monsters and creatures which guarded the compartments.

Lero-Ro stayed behind giving orders, plans, and intel to the two juggernauts on the field. When Quant would send in a coordinate he would pick up a ‘Spear’ and chuck it in the direction to help ease the battles ahead.

Yuri and Pandora, like always, left absolute carnage in their wake. Giant God Cows pounded into ground beef and Divine Pigs cut up into pork chops…the scene was gory to say the least. Tests were completed before the next compartment could even be prepared and thus they had to wait.

During this waiting time, the team had reached a consensus on how to complete the next ‘big’ test…Siege Economy

Through an unanimous vote, it was decided that ‘Lero-Ro’ would be the ‘King’. With a brain like his, it was no doubt the wisest choice to make. As a light bearer, he had experience watching over the battles from afar, analyzing, and overall making the best decisions for the team.

Quant was chosen to become the ‘Worker’ for the team as he was the ‘fastest’ excluding the two ‘cheats’ (namely Yuri and Pandora). Although after their revelation to the other team of their status as ‘Princesses’ there were some commotion, they were quickly died down. They weren’t exactly pro-Jahad and their own team could not care less about their political interests. 

Right now, it was all about winning or losing.

… …

D-Day

*Zzzt* Teams. Submit your papers…

… …

… …

For the Carbonara Alliance

Worker: Quant Blitz

King: Lero-Ro

… …

… …

For Team Hoaquin

Worker: Stella

King: Hoaquin

Get to your respective castles…the game shall begin

16