Hopeless Reflection
698 11 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 22

 

 

“You sure you don’t want to follow us?” Yuri asked the duo (Pandora and Lero) at the exit provided by the train.

 

With only the small door connecting the outside and the inside of the Hell Train, all four were able to smell the fresh air (or was it shinsu) which came from outside. Free from the metallic taint of the endless wall of steel of the train…free from the metallic taint of blood which flowed within the train.

 

“Yup. Sorry Yuri.” Lero replied. “Someone has to stay behind to make sure the other crazy princess doesn’t go around turning the train into one big pot to cook carbonara.”

 

“…why didn’t I think of that?” The stated-other-crazy-princess said. “Anyway Yuri. There’s something I need to check for in this train…I’ll see you in a month.”

 

(A.N: In canon, the train only stays in the station for 2 days. For the sake of this story, I have changed it to a month.)

 

“Alright then Carbonara, try not to get yourself killed.” 

 

“I won’t.”

 

“Try not to cause a genocide either.”

 

“I won’t.”

 

“Also try not to turn everything into carbon—*ouch!* Jahad! Pandora I was kidding!” 

 

Pandora put her best friend in a headlock and rubbing her head in with her knuckles before she let her go. Yuri stood back rubbing her head painfully as she sniffled slightly.

 

“See you in a month.”

 

 

… …

 

 

Following Yuri Jahad and Quant Blitz

 

 

The two stepped off of the train steps and onto the massive train station. ‘Name Hunt Station’ was what is was called.

 

At first glance, it was obvious that this was a station like no other. As to begin with, there was little other than the station itself. Divided into three main floating islands, it seemed to be the only thing in vicinity as they could not see anything below or above.

 

“Well, at least the air’s nice.” Yuri said sarcastically as she looked around the new floor. It’s been so long since she had seen the shinsu-illuminated sky. While it may not feel the same for the others, if she had to be in that train any longer, she most likely would have tried to find a way to break out of the train.

 

She has had enough of that stale air.

 

“Oh look. Is that a welcoming party?” Quant asked. 

 

As the Ha Princess looked at the far end of where the station entrance ended, there indeed seemed to be a group of people waiting for them. Having lived in the tower for quite some time, both of them knew exactly what that meant.

 

“Quant, do you see a massive transport ship anywhere?”

 

“No.”

 

“Or any other way off the station other than the train?

 

“For Rankers yes.”

 

“Then it’s quite obvious what these regulars are here for, no?”

 

“Obviously. To get burnt to crisps by my majestic flames!”

 

“No. It’s for our tickets you pyromanic!”

 

The two bantered as they made their way slowly towards the greeting party, preparing to face the fun inevitable. Though a question did nag in Yuri’s brain as she simply saw the scale of how many people were here.

 

“Hey Quant…wait a minute.” Yuri motioned for Quant to stop. Pandora and Lero might call her an idiot but she came through with her thoughts when it was necessary…or when her battle sense was telling her something was off. And right now…this entire station was strange to her.

 

The only way in and out of this Station is through the Hell Train…then why are there so many still here?

 

Logically, those who entered would leave with the same tickets that they used to get on the train…or with the same person who brought them along. So why were this station so large? Why were there tens of thousands of people peering out to them from the station?

 

From the strange looking dorms to the various smaller floating castles to the welcoming party which had swelled to a good one hundred members. Why were there so many who weren’t leaving…

 

Or can’t leave? Can’t leave because of a tradition from the Ten Warriors and the natives…

 

“Quant!” Yuri exclaimed. “Name-Hunt Station…I’ve heard of it before.”

 

Her breathing hitched as she remembered the infamous Train Station of the tower. The Trap as many of the regulars called it…or the harvest as the Rankers did. For the children of the 10 Great families, it had a greater meaning; Regular disposal. Those who were deemed unworthy or hated by the family would be ordered to go to the ‘Name Hunt Station’ and hunt the ‘Leader’ of the station. Essentially…it was impossible. The greatest human trafficking program in the entire tower. Created in such a way to mimic of Pyramid slave system for unsuspecting (or unlucky) regulars which was impossible to escape.

 

Operated unofficially by the Ten Families themselves in the darkness…the location was…The Name Hunt Station.

 

“Quant, this place is…” Yuri shivered…

 

“What is is Yuri?” Quant, now slightly scared, looked at the pale looking Yuri.

 

“This place is…IS INCREDIBLY FUN!!! MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!” With that, the hot headed Ha Family princess glowed with black and red light for a moment as she encased herself in reinforcement shinsu before charging off to meet the welcoming party all by herself.

 

“MUHAHAHA!! NAME HUNT STATION!!! BRING ME KAISER. BRING ME KAISER NOW!!”

 

“YURI! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT LERO TOLD US NOT TO DO!” Quant screamed at Yuri who was already a distance off.

 

“TELL THE HAMBURGER TO FUCK OFF! COME ON COCA COLA! MUAHAHAHA!”

 

 

 … …

 

Hell Train, with Pandora and Lero-Ro

 

The two stood in front of an incredibly large pot-looking structure. On top of which stood a being that both of them knew was incredibly strong…stronger than any rankers that they have had to face.

 

So what was this being doing here? Is the test meant to be unbeatable? Are we supposed to negotiate with the being?

 

The being was incredibly large. So large that it would seem like both of them (Pandora and Lero) would be able to sit comfortably in one of the being’s hands. With long, flowing, dark blond hair going over his back and unblinking yellow eyes, it was as if they were looking into the eyes of an uncaring predator.

 

Dressed in a sleeveless red tunic, cuffs around each of his hands with chains attached, it gave the deceiving notion that the being was tied…limited; when in reality it was all but so.

 

 

“It has not been long time since one has opened the gates of this tower.” The being’s voice was deep, baritone, as their bodies shook involuntarily at the voice of authority and power.

 

“Enryu and the Great Leaders. Jahad and Urek Mazino…I have met them all. To all of whom I have bestowed Revolution.The great being blinked his unblinking eyes as he shook his head to reaffirm something. Something that he did not understand.

 

“You…” He pointed his massive finger directly at Pandora. You’re just like Mazino 

 

Pandora didn’t get a chance to respond as the being grabbed her in his hand, immobilising her arms and legs, before jumping up to the higher place once again. Up above where Lero-ro could not reach her.

 

“Pandora!”

 

“I mean no harm Regular. You shall leave and return in a month’s time.” The giant ordered. The shinsu around the area growing dangerously dense as the threat in the being’s words were made clear.

 

“No.” Lero growled out. He forced his body to ignore the danger senses as he stepped foward towards near certain death. Light Bearers only fought directly as their last choice…previous fisherman training or not.“Give Pandora back…now.”

 

The giant simply stared for a moment before giving the tiniest of smiles before he dove into the depths of the gigantic pot structure before the entire thing was sealed the moment he was in.

 

Another old soul…how amusing. Just what is your vision, Lord Phantaminum?”

 

 

 

… …

 

 

Am I here once again? Or is it different?

 

She remembered the giant telling her something vague before putting her under this state. A similar state like which the FUG ranker had previously forced her under…but this did not have the same feeling or influence like that.

 

While the FUG ranker’s was forceful…as if someone was trying to take control, this was more like her mindscape, her very own.

 

But something was off. Her mind realm was an infinite ocean with an equally grand horizons and great storms. Her mind realm was an eternal twilight zone filled with an endless amount of evil…held back by the seven cardinal sins.

 

But this…this was different. It was as if she was in the great void of nothingness. Floating around in the complete darkness as her senses were rendered useless.

 

In the dark, she saw nothing.

In the void, she heard nothing.

In the emptiness, she could touch nothing.

She smelled nothing. She sensed nothing.

There was nothing.

 

Then it was as if all those senses were ripped away as a new sense was born…one solely for her self. Her soul.

 

Find your true power, find what the Tower has chosen you for

 

The God of Guardian’s (The Giant) voice echoed through her mind as she opened her new eyes. Eyes which no longer saw the light, but rather the spirit. New sounds entered her ears. Sounds which were no longer vibrations…but emotions.

 

Her sensed reformed, she awoke. 

 

Finally waking up to find what was there. To find it…but it was to her shock that she found herself. A very familiar figure standing in front of her, a mere arm’s length away. She couldn’t be sure as her face was covered with a veil. A wedding veil…the same one as the day of her creation.

 

“ … Πανδώρα?” She called out in desperation. Her memories rushing back to the night where she had made the sacrifice for her. Where she had given up so that she could live. Where a part of herself died to keep the rest alive.

 

…to keep their flame of hatred, revenge, and reason burning. It burned, oh it truly burned, as she continued to climb the tower. With each floor conquered bringing her closer and closer to her goal. To bring her wrath on those gods…to avenge herself not once but twice.

 

But then who was this in front of her?

 

“It’s Me” Πανδώρα replied. “It’s us.”

 

Her original’s voice sounded distorted as if it was in great pain. The veil fluttered slightly in the soul realm’s wind as she caught the slightest glimpse of what was under.

 

A horribly mangled face filled with burns and scars. Skin melting off and her right eye blinded completely. Only the eye glimmered unblinkingly…radiating malice and darkness.

 

“We did it.” Her reflection grinned. “We killed them all.” As this reflection spoke, she managed to see the mangled broken teeth inside her mouth.

 

“I let them feel our pain.” The demon let out a pained laugh. “I let them know how we felt.”

 

Slowly…deliberately, the figure removed her veil. Lifting it slowly off her face as Pandora got to see every inch of her mangled form in full horror and detail.

 

The face she saw had few traces of the beauty that once was…but all that was now was a broken corpse. A broken person. Someone who had truly given their everything for their goal.

 

Unknowingly, Pandora took a step back.

 

The sleeve of the wedding dress pulled back revealing a bony hand with a dark muscle membrane hugging what was left of the hand.

 

“Take my hand Pandora.” The demon whispered. “I can give it to you as well. Give you the satisfaction.”

 

No…no no no. This can’t be me. 

 

These were not the same hands which she had once been held by. These were not the hands she had been comforted with as she cried for her other self. This wasn’t her…it couldn’t be.

 

“This is why we entered the Tower Pandora!” The demon with her face urged. Taking a step towards her just as the stink of death and pain spread and pierced her nostrils. “This is why you are here!”

 

No! No! This isn’t me! This isn’t Πανδώρα!

 

She remembered the beautiful, innocent, reflection of herself years ago. The selfless woman who had given up her everything for a chance. 

 

“Do you remember now?” The demon interrupted her thoughts. “Do you remember what she…I…said?”

 

The memories hit her like a Baracuda eel as the day was re-enacted clear in her mind as if it was playing right in front of her.

 

The monster in front of her blurred as she changed.

 

The dead and lifeless talking corpse simmered with life as she regained her form. Not a single blemish on her perfect, tanned, skin. Healthy and plentiful brown hair crowning her face and flowing down her back.  A body figure worthy of the gods and her clothing, the Wedding Dress, mended itself back into perfection.

 

She…she was Pan-Doros

 

 

“Still…Pr-Promise me that you’ll fulfill it, that you’ll avenge us…me…!” She had said to me.

 

I remember nodding at her words. Unable to do anything other in fear of the tears and sobs threatening to break through.

 

“That you’ll use everything at your disposal. Our blessings, curses, and all your new strength and power.”

 

She nodded again but a single sob broke out.

 

 

“Do you plan on letting me die again?” The voice sounded broken…weaker. “Will you break your word?”

 

She stumbled backwards once again as she regained control of her mind once again. The illusion broke as she found herself facing the corpse once again. The looming dead body of very own self with her hand still outstretched.

 

“Take it. It is our wish!” She hobbled closer on her rotting foot. “All the pain…all the deaths. Every loss we face…it is worth it.”

 

Her death-alternate was essentially breathing down on her as they stood close…too close. Standing almost nose to nose with the corpse’s hands around her.

 

But it wasn’t Pan-Doros…the hands felt too cold and hard. There was nothing left inside this version of her…only the endless pain, the emptiness, and the small satisfaction which burned onwards to no end.

 

“There there.” She whispered to her. “It’s going to be alright.”

 

But it wasn’t alright. Not when she knew who she was. Not when she knew what path she was going down and knew the results. Not when she saw herself like this. Not when she saw herself not with pride or satisfaction…but with fear, horror, and pity.

 

“…No.” She finally replied.

 

Her alternate version jerked backwards as if she was hit. She continued to stumble backwards for a bit as the corpse stabilised herself before she focused her one good eye on hers.

 

“No…?” There was no anger or malice. Only genuine confusion and disbelief. “No…?!” The voice got louder as if she could not understand how she got to the decision, the choice.

 

The corpse shook in disbelief as she used her arms to grab herself; as if to physically keep herself from breaking down. She shook so intensely that Pandora worried that she might actually break something…more.

 

Still shaking, still unstable, the version of her turned back as she grabbed Pandora by the shoulders as she shook her as well.

 

“WHY?” She asked in pain. “Why go back on everything!”

 

She pushed forward causing them both to fall on the imaginary floor. Pandora was stuck under the alternate-version who sat on Pandora’s stomach.

 

“Why!!” She wasn’t asking anymore. She was screaming in denial. “Why do you reject this! THIS IS ALL WE HAVE!”

 

A skeletal fist raised. A thud. A bruise.

 

“THIS IS WHO WE ARE!”

 

Another fist raised. Another thud. The other cheek bruised.

 

“THEY MADE US LIKE THIS!”

 

Another thud. Another sting of pain.

 

“AND YOU’RE REJECTING OUR SALVATION!!”

 

Two hands covered her neck as she realised that she was being strangled. Even in the realm of souls, it seemed she needed shinsu.

 

“FOR WHAT?!! FOR WHAT??!! WHAT CAN BE WORTH MORE THAN THIS!”

 

Pressure was applied as Pandora felt herself truly unable to do anything. Unable to call upon her demons, her powers, her strength. 

 

Her arms laid useless to her side. Her body still. Only her eyes focused on her alternate figure’s rage…a rage that was fueled with despair and sorrow more than anything.

 

“Why… *huff* why…” Her voice trailed off into nothing as the skeletal hands which tightened around her neck loosened, allowing her to breathe once more.

 

Above her, she saw the single pitch dark eye. An eye which looked like it would cry if only it were possible. If only the tear glands weren’t burnt into the face like a new, cruel, deformed tattoo.

 

“You’re right.” She croaked out. “There is nothing more important than that.” She turned away not wanting to see the eye looking of betrayal.

 

“But that’s not all she said…remember?” She spoke carefully. “There was more to her words than our deserved justice.”

 

“You got a new life, one that I sacrificed myself for, so enjoy it. Live it to the fullest and don’t waste it on a single goal.”

 

“There is more to this new life than just our call for blood.” She gently pushed off the shocked corpse off of her as she sat up. Facing her death-alternate once again.

 

“I…we…we’re no longer the same as when we entered the tower.”

 

The death-alternate’s face changed, contorted as her remaining muscles tensed as her jaws locked. But even then, the subtle shaking could be seen.

 

“We were given a new chance. A chance she gave us.” 

 

The corpse turned her head away to the side. Refusing to meet her eye.

“I…I remember now.” She said slowly. “I remember her words. I remember how I ignored them.”

 

Miraculously, a single drop of blood escaped from her one remaining eye. A drop of blood which had not dried up after all this time.

 

“I was blinded. I was a fool.”

 

“No” She refuted. “You’re not because it hasn’t happened yet.”

 

“…It hasn’t happened yet. Yes…” She gently said. “It hasn’t happened yet.” She repeated to herself. With this, it seemed as if she had…changed.

 

Nothing physical changed but her tense muscles relaxed…perhaps too much as she simply slipped and dropped like a true corpse.

 

On the ground, facing up, her alternate version merely repeated the phrase in peace.

 

“It hasn’t happened yet…it hasn’t happened yet.” She stopped momentarily as her one eye rolled over to see hers.

 

“Thank you…it’s all yours.”

 

“What’s all mine?”

 

“It hasn’t happened yet…it hasn’t happened yet…it hasn’t happ—… …”

 

The lips stilled and the single dark eye stared blankly into the empty space as the long dead version…finally passed away.

 

Pandora sat there in silence as she took in what had just transpired. As she took one last look at her other self…the fear she first felt was gone. Now…only pity and sadness.

 

A tug came from her heart as if someone had anchored a chain to her heart.

 

“It is time to return Gate-Opener” A deep voice resounded through her mind. With that, the realm mixed into a million shades as she was welcomed into the empty darkness once more…back once again to the path of reality.

 

AN: 

Sorry it's been so long.

I really do hate moving half-way across the world only to still be a week late to your classes.

Anway, really busy. Crazy busy. 

Still wanted to write this chapter though. Love this story too much to really drop it so... hope you enjoyed it. Dunno if there were any tears but this was a chapter that was in plans for a long time.

 

Also. Any guesses about the Floor of Death or Mazino?

 

16