Episode 10: Reunion
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 1

“Match over! Winner…Tsubaki Ishihara!!”

In an arena during the early days of AEGIS, one student has shown the most promise. Her strength is demonstrated profoundly by the match that has just concluded witnessed by the school’s instructors.

The match is held in the same arena that is located deep beneath the school’s

“That’s her tenth victory this week. She has remarkable power. And she hasn’t used her Alter yet?”

“Yes. She’s categorized under a Category 4, the strongest we’ve ever recorded. Her brain activity and psychiatric mapping suggest that as such. She said she doesn’t go all out to give her opponents a chance to grow.”

“Hmmm…so she looks out for her peers just as much as she cares for herself.”

“More than herself, actually. As a matter of fact, she could potentially be the first Category 5 we’d ever witness.”

Along with the instructors, a young child in her middle school years is pressing her hands against the glass of the observation room high above the arena that overlooks the aftermath of the battle below.

“Tsubaki sis…” A young girl with short red hair calls out the name of someone below.

A girl with hair colored in the similar scarlet as hers tilts her head up and looks at where she is and gives a smile with a small wave.

The little girl sees her sister and responds with a wide happy smile and a big wave.

And then, the sound of her opponent groaning as she sits herself up grabs Tsubaki’s attention.

“As expected of the Red Empress. You really are the academy’s strongest.”

Tsubaki extends a hand to her peer.

“Please, Red Empress is just a title given to me by the school for being the strongest. It doesn’t change who I am as a person. You can be like me too if you work at it.” She advises her as she helps her up.

They pat each other’s shoulders and exchange smiles.

“After all…you’re my senior.” Tsubaki continues.

The senior who has taken her on and lost gives a nod and leaves without any ill spirits.

Tsubaki turns to face the large crowd gathered to watch her spar.

“Now then, who wants to go next?” She asks her captive audience.

They all start clamoring and raising their hands to volunteer to challenge the legendary Red Empress Tsubaki Ishihara next.

The little girl who is her younger sister is caught up in the same excitement. She gives a wide and happy smile with her hands pressed against the glass.

“Tsubaki sis!” She exclaims in glee.

Years go by and this same little girl eventually grows up.

“Tsubaki sis…” Kanade Ishihara whispers in melancholy.

The Short Fused Shocker known as Kanade Ishihara is detained inside a transparent glass box. All six sides, including the floor, insulate any form of electricity she can potentially give off. Kanade presses both of her hands on one of these glass walls.

The box is located in the middle of a dimly lit room. The only source of light is the narrow slit that serves as a window on the thick metal door that’s bolted to the wall.

This same door slowly creaks open. The clacking of high heeled shoes start to echo in the once lonely room. A blonde woman wearing a purple suit enters Kanade’s holding cell alone.

Kanade tracks her movements with her eyes as the door closes beside the mysterious woman.

She stops right in the middle and faces one of the students of her school with crossed arms.

Her face can’t be seen due to the weak lighting, but the aura she gives off is certain: she is absolutely disappointed.

“I hope you’ve realized the situation you’re currently in.” Miss Violet berates Kanade with a heavy voice. “You’re currently outside of school premises and in military custody. The paralysis Alexia gave you was enough to bring you in. The box that serves as your holding cell makes sure you don’t shock anyone in here. Don’t bother trying to break it, it’s metallic glass; stronger than steel, but not as conductive.”

Kanade turns her head away in shame. She remembers the deed that has gotten her in this predicament. She is seduced by the promise of seeing her beloved sister again. And thanks to her foolishness, she sees someone die right before her eyes.

“I had a plan.”

“No you didn’t.” Miss Violet quickly interjects. “You’re trying to temporarily stop his circulatory system with your electric shock to have everyone think he’s dead. That would require precise control, something you don’t have.”

Miss Violet gives a deep sigh.

“I don’t know what’s gotten into you. I know you’re quite the troublemaker, but nothing to this extent.”

Kanade claws down on the hard glass as she slides both of her hands down.

“Tell me…” Her quivering slightly muffled voice resonates through the transparent walls. “What happened that day? What really happened to my sister?”

Miss Violet bows her head in dismay.

“I don’t know.”

A dull thud echoes in the small room as Kanade punches one of the glass walls.

“DON’T GIVE ME THAT CRAP!!!” She shouts in heartbroken anger. “What happened to you being one step ahead?! You run your mouth about knowing things before anybody else does, the one who holds all the cards. You left my sister to die and it’s all your fault!!”

“Won’t you get over it!!” Miss Violet shouts in anger. “You sister may have died in that fire and maybe she didn’t. Do you know what sort of impact it would bring if someone like Tsubaki Ishihara is declared dead? As long as no body is found, we can keep her disappearance a secret.”

Kanade’s shoulders shake. She clenches her eyes shut to try and hold back the tears that are leaking out of her eyes.

“How could you…how could you even do this to her?”

Miss Violet gives off a sad sigh.

“I didn’t like it myself, believe me. If there was any other way to handle the situation, I would have done so at the time. Alters are dangerous entities that hold unspeakable power and your sister happens to be in possession of the strongest one we’ve ever seen. I did regret what I did that day and you have all the right to be mad at me. I wish there’s something I could have done to change things, but even I can’t change the past.”

Miss Violet paces slowly towards the glass box Kanade is encased in. She places one hand over Kanade’s; separated only by a thick layer of glass.

“I just want to let you know that…I’m sorry. I understand why you took the chance that you saw and I won’t go as far as letting the military convict you at such a young age.”

“I just…I just want to be with my sister again…”

Miss Violet places a finger by her chin.

“Maybe you can.”

Kanade turns her head up as Miss Violet’s words catch her attention.

“I’ll have to make a deal with the top brass to make full use of the situation you’re in. You might just end up getting what you want.”

As far as Kanade is concerned, she has already upheld her end of the bargain. It may not be by her own hands, but Katsuo Kiyabu is now dead. If there’s even the slightest truth to what Blood Blade has to offer, she would be reunited with her sister.

“I’ll think about it.” She gives her answer.

Miss Violet shrugs and walks her way towards the heavy door.

“I suppose I can work with that. I’ll be back with a decision later on. I may be a liar, but I still have my code to abide by. I’ll make it right with you someday. I promise.”

And so, the headmistress knocks on the metal door which prompts the guards on the other side to open it. After it creaks open, she finally steps out.

Kanade sits in the middle of the floor of her glass cube. Despite everything she has worked for, she has returned to what she was before: alone.

In her mind, she remembers a distant memory.

“Tsubaki sis!” A young Kanade calls out to her big sister.

She turns to look over her shoulder and sees the young child behind her.

“Tsubaki sis, what does your Alter look like? You never let it out.”

Tsubaki gives a thin smile. She bends down and prods the little Kanade on the forehead with her index and middle fingers.

“True strength doesn’t come with letting lose all of your power towards your enemy. Rather, it lies in knowing how much of it to use in any given moment.”

“I don’t get it. If you go at it full force, you’re sure to win any fight.” Kanade objects with a pout while rubbing her forehead.

“Self-control is the greatest strength anyone can have. If you can at least master that, then you can master any ability.”

And so, Kanade remembers her sister’s smile one more time. It’s the smile that teems with warmth and happiness, the same happiness that she longs for.

“Tsubaki…sis…” She mutters to the darkness for nobody to hear.

Part 2

In the medical lab within the underground complex beneath the school, Katsuo’s lifeless body is lying in a bed in an isolated room which is no different from a hospital room. Various medical equipment are connected to it. However, despite them being more advanced than what is readily available in the school infirmary, they all lie dormant.

No brain activity, no heartbeat, no pulse, nothing…

Henrietta leans against the wall beside the bed, looking over him with mournful eyes. She grits her teeth in regret with her arms folded. For the first time in her career as the Disciplinary Committee chairperson, she has failed her given duty.

“I’m sorry…”

Just to show that she has regretted her failure, she shows up in the infirmary room without her usual armband and utility belt. Both of those things are left lying on her desk in her office which Satsuki, Amaya, and Shakaku are looking dismayed due to the recent events.

Kagami sits on a chair backwards while leaning forward on its backrest beside Katsuo’s bed. She glares in frustration and disappointment over what recently transpired. The memory of seeing Katsuo’s lifeless body collapse on the cold floor is still fresh in her mind.

“So…what happens now?” Kagami asks out of the blue.

“Classes have been canceled while the authorities from the military conduct an investigation. The training room where they fought in is completely shut off.

The door suddenly opens and one of the medical officers from the military steps in. She wears a green uniform under her sterile white lab coat. An unusual insignia can be seen on the breast pocket of her lab coat. This resembled a lowercase “m” continuing into a loop.

“How is he?” Henrietta asks out of concern.

The doctor simply bows her head and works on her tablet computer on hand.

“I’m not sure, honestly. Our readings show that he is, in fact, supposed to be dead. However, deep signal analysis shows that there’s still weak brain activity present. Not strong enough to be declared under a coma, but not exactly deceased either. And you said that the cause of his cardiac arrest was contact with the Alter Necrosis, correct?”

Nobody gives a response. The shock of seeing someone who they thought was their friend killing Katsuo is still too much for them to take in.

“Right, sorry. But anyway, it seems that Mister Kenningway’s Alter is causing some interference on the readings to Mister Kiyabu’s brain activity. We can’t tell if what we’re seeing is his or Necrosis’. This actually complicates things so, for the time being, we can’t exactly declare him deceased until we are sure.”

“Where did they take Kanade and Alex? Even we from the Disciplinary Committee were not given any updates.” Henrietta attempts to change the subject.

The doctor gives a shrug followed by a shake of her head.

“I’m sorry. You’ll have to ask someone higher up for that info. I’m just a field medic.”

“It's been almost a week since it happened. He hasn't moved since.” Henrietta says in dismay.

“We don't know what to do either. All we can do look into his condition more, hopefully we can get him back, if possible.”

Kagami clicks her tongue and starts to stand up. She slowly walks towards the door with both her hands in her pockets.

“Where are you going?” Henrietta asks her.

“I’m gonna get some fresh air. Don’t wait up for me if I take too long.”

The moment she gets close enough to the door, it automatically opens for her to simply step outside. Upon exit, the door shuts behind her.

After leaving the elevator back to the surface, the two metal doors shut behind Kagami and she walks with her shoulders slouched. As she traverses down the nearly empty halls with heavy footsteps, she comes across a pair of students talking to each other; walking in the opposite direction. As she passes by them, she happens to overhear their conversation.

“You think his parents know what happened to him?”

“Who knows. Still, I feel sorry for him.”

“Me too. I really wish he made it out instead.”

“You think Ishihara will be expelled for what happened?”

“No one’s certain at this point. The Disciplinary Committee did get it under control, but it’s been a bother lately.”

“I know!”

Kagami knows the truth and the vision is still clear in her head. She has seen Deathwish, who she knows is Alexia Kingsley, looking over the lifeless corpse of Katsuo Kiyabu.

The anger that she has held back then is starting to surge back into her. As soon as she turns a corner away from the pair she has been unintentionally eavesdropping on, she leans her back against the wall.

The corridors are now practically deserted with students wandering elsewhere for the rest of the day thanks to the chaos earlier.

She clenches her teeth and slams a fist against the wall with a weak dull thud. She reverses the direction just enough to weaken the pain, but not enough to make any significant damage to the wall.

“Dammit! Why do I feel concerned for him!! Could it be?!”

She remembers how she has been brought to the side of good. A hand has reached out to her despite what she was sent to do.

Inverter, an empty title with no legacy…

This is what she is used to be known as. But now, she leads a new life. He has given her a chance that nobody would.

(“…I can show you a different kind of power. It will not make you the strongest in the world, but you will be strong enough to protect those you care for.”)

She remembers the smile, so sincere and selfless. A smile different from the façades of those who manage the project that is supposed to give her the ultimate power she wants.

As it turns out, these people just want to make the strongest weapon out of her; a weapon to follow only their bidding.

(“So long as they are the people who believe in you…and you believe in them. Together, you will reach that kind of power that you dream of.”)

This boy, who is now gone, has offered her a chance of redemption. He is her only tether to this new life, and now, she’s not sure if she can hold on.

Kagami slowly bows her head down. The angle it is in now produces a shadow over her eyes.

“She’s right…you are a damned idiot, but not as big of an idiot as I am.” Kagami whispers to herself.

She clenches her fist harder. Try as she might, she falters in fighting her true emotions. There are just some battles even The World’s Strongest won’t be able to win.

All of a sudden, a voice snaps her out of her melancholy.

“Hey, you have a minute?” Someone calls out to her.

Kagami turns her head up to look at the person in front of her. With a glowing, almost motherly smile, Natalia stands before her with a hand on her waist.

“Lenhoff!”

 After retreating to one of the school corridor’s dead ends by one of the nearby vending machines, they discussed each other’s information.

“I see. So that’s why they’re still monitoring his condition instead of declaring him dead. I got worried when they publicly made the announcement that he died on arrival.” Natalia responds then takes a sip of the canned black coffee on hand.

“They seriously made that the official story?” Kagami asks leaning against the vending machine with her hands in her skirt’s pockets.

Natalia puts the can down and breathes a weary sigh.

“I don’t like it either. But after every monitor in school broadcast that fight, there was just no way for them to contain that chaos.” Natalia nonchalantly tosses the empty can to the nearby bin.

“So what happens now?”

“All I know is that the headmistress has a plan. But whatever it is…” Natalia turns her head to the elevator that leads to the underground complex. “…I hope she pulls through like she usually does.”

Inside the confined room, Katsuo still lies motionless…lifeless…

The machines that monitor her vital signs fill the room with their consistent tones.

Part 3

A makeshift computer relay is set up in an abandoned warehouse in an unknown location.

The Codec Transmitter is hooked up to it as data is being transferred. The blurry monitor shows its progress that nears its completion. The light from this monitor reflects on Blood Blade’s helmet.

They mysterious figure in red gazes as the numbers slowly crawl upwards.

For a while, it stands in its lonesome. However, a girl with flowing pink hair and a silver mask joins it after dropping down from the rafters above.

“You’ve done well, Deathwish. I never knew you had it in you to end someone’s life.” Blood Blade commends her with its back turned.

Deathwish clicks her tongue in response.

“Just so you know, I had no choice. Dragging it for too long will cause unwanted attention. You said it yourself; they may try to interfere if I haven’t stepped in.”

“Rest assured, what you’ve done serves the greater good. He’s a potential threat to this world and ending his life is the only way we would be certain that he will never do any harm.”

Deathwish scoffs at its statement as she crosses her arms.

“We’ve had a deal, remember? You will explain to me what you need Harvey Kingsley’s research for.”

“Hmm?” Blood Blade slightly tilts its head trying to recall such a deal. “Ah yes! Thank you for reminding me. Although…humor me for a bit first, if you will.”

As they talk, the meter that displays the progress of the transfer nears its completion.

“Tell me, why is the good professor’s work so important to you. You kept going on about how you damn him for trapping you between categories.”

“Why does it matter? You have your agendas and I have mine. But an old research file that has been untouched for years is hardly of any use to you at this point.” Deathwish brings up.

A light chuckle can be heard through its voice synthesizer.

“You’re right, it is. However, that doesn’t mean it could be of use for someone else.” Blood Blade takes out a disk to show to Deathwish. “I have in my hand the last copy of the research for the Necrosis Protocol procedure. Every single one was disposed of by Lance Corp. following their bankruptcy. And now…”

With a violent crack, Blood Blade crushes the disk with its own bare hands. The last known copy of the irreplaceable data has been turned into iridescent dust.

“…it’s gone. Forever.” Blood Blade slowly opens its hand and lets the sparkling dust trickle to the floor.

Deathwish can do nothing but witness such a heartless behavior. Her father’s hard work, no matter what the effects of it were on her, is precious to him.

 “Whether the procedure works or not is out of the question. After all, it’s better to be safe than sorry. And so, every last method of potentially creating a Category 5 Alter has been destroyed.”

“I understand…” Deathwish whispers to herself as.

A beep from the computer terminal indicates that the transfer has been completed. Blood Blade turns back to the computer terminal and resumes work on the data transferred from the Codec Transmitter.

(“Perfect. Now I can finally end this madness once and for all.”) Deathwish conditions herself as she opens and closes her hand.

Black miasma flows out of her left palm as she slowly walks closer to Blood Blade’s back. Once she is a suitable distance away, she lunges forward and is about to drive her hand right into Blood Blade’s spine.

However, Blood Blade quickly turns its body around with a flutter of its long crimson cape and grabs her by the wrist.

It pulls her right past itself and sharply slams an elbow downwards on her biceps. A violent pull is felt on her shoulder which causes her to cough in pain.

Blood Blade follows this up by letting go of her wrist and shooting a knee towards Deathwish’s stomach which sends her a small distance up in the air.

Deathwish slams with a dull thud on the dusty concrete floor, writhing in pain from every part of her body. She slowly stands up grimacing while clutching her left shoulder which she fears may have been dislocated.

“Normally I would be the one who would say that I no longer have use for you. But if you want to end our mutual partnership prematurely, that’s fine by me.” Blood Blade informs her as it removes the Codec Transmitter from its connection to the computer terminal. “But since I have acquired everything I have and there’s nobody left to stand in my way, I do believe that you and I are now even at this point.”

Blood Blade tosses the tablet-like device inches away from Deathwish. And then, a broadsword suddenly skewers it to the ground. Bright electric sparks shoot out of the enormous gash on its glass screen.

“I won’t finish you off as I now have enough dead bodies in my wake. I love to stay and chat, but there’s another promise I have yet to fulfill: a family reunion.” Blood Blade says as it glares at the groveling Deathwish.

A blustering wind fills the wide dusty room. It sends out a tornado of sand and debris which covers Blood Blade.

Deathwish reflexively covers her mouth and turns her head to look away. Once the wind settles, she looks around only to find that Blood Blade has disappeared.

She hurries over to the computer that it has been tending to and discovers something troublesome. What Blood Blade has performed is not a mere file transfer at all.

It’s an upload to the Internet.

Deathwish reaches for her phone with one hand. However, footsteps suddenly catch her attention.

A pair of rogue Taskforce Mars operatives who have traded their proud dark blue uniforms to tattered rags approach the room.

“Is everything alright? We heard some noises here.” One of them asks.

“I’m fine. Carry on. How are preparations coming along?”

“As planned. We’ll be able to commence the attack by tomorrow.”

(“Tomorrow?”)  Deathwish thinks in surprise.

“Why so soon? I thought we needed more time.”

“Not anymore. Word came from the boss himself. Not really sure why, but I won’t question it.”

Deathwish quickly turns around and darts to an exit. The grunt she was talking to stays on his spot confused.

As she darts through the cramp and dusty corridors…

(“Dammit! Things are escalating faster than they’re supposed to!! I need to let the headmistress know about this quickly that Blood Blade will be attacking the school again soon.”)

While still grabbing to her shoulder, Deathwish takes the phone out of her pocket. After placing the number to call, she dials and puts the phone by her ear.

“Come on, come on, come on…” Deathwsh mumbles to herself.

Deep beeps follow which indicate that there was no response made. Deathwish clicks her tongue and puts the phone back into her pocket.

(“No good. I’ve got to reverse the Touch of Death I gave Katsuo. But…”)

She remembers a time from her past, a time when she used to be known as Alexia Kingsley. She remembers waking up inside a moving ambulance after the world thought she was dead.

(“…the most I can keep it on is ten hours, even on myself. I hope I won’t be too late. I don’t want to know if the damage I cause could be irreversible.”)

Part 4

“Am I…dead?” Katsuo asks Brynhildr, his only companion in the desolate void.

“I suppose you could say that. Your biological functions have ceased; but in a matter of speaking, you’re still alive. After all, you’re still able to talk.”

“Then…then where am I?” Katsuo looks at his hands as he slowly opens and closes them.

“I think this is what you humans call a state of limbo. Your consciousness is drifting in a sea of nothingness right now. And since I’m a part of your psyche, I’m here along with you.”

Katsuo grows more confused as ever.

“So, wait, how does that work?”

Brynhildr can’t help but give a light smile.

“The Alter you call Necrosis is the one who makes sure that your body doesn’t go to a state of decay. At the same time, it has also stopped all of your vital functions…at least until its owner calls it off.”

“The owner…you mean—?”

He remembers the killing blow that has finished him off. The last thing he sees before blacking out was Alexia’s weeping face of despair.

(“I’m sorry…I tried to protect you. We all did. But there’s really nothing I can do right now.”)

Katsuo remembers the last words he has heard when he was alive. This voice was then followed by a loud scream muffled by his drifting consciousness.

He did not make out what was said, but he recognizes the owner of that voice.

“Kanade!” Katsuo whispers under his breath. “I need to get out of here. I need to know what’s going on!”

Brynhildr shakes her head in dismay.

“Haven’t you been listening? You’re dead. There’s no coming out of that; at least from this end of the afterlife.”

“So what do you expect me to do? Sit and wait?”

Brynhildr places a hand on her waist and a finger on her chin.

“Actually, there is something that you can do since you’re here.”

The barren white void suddenly flickers to the interior of an abandoned storage room.

The sound of clashing metal echoes between the concrete walls. The source of the sound is a duel between a younger Katsuo and the Gilded Saber.

As the more experienced Gilded Saber bears down using its iconic golden sword, the young Katsuo parries it with a crudely assembled weapon that looks like scraps of metal haphazardly mashed together to form what is supposed to be a cross-like structure with one end longer than the other.

However, the defense doesn’t last long as the makeshift sword is eventually knocked away and falls to the concrete floor.

The scraps of dull metal shatter and fly in every direction; some go towards the present Katsuo.

With no time to dodge, he covers his face using his forearms and flinches away from the metal shards. However, he soon learns that he doesn’t need to as they all just fly through him. No visible wounds are present. It’s just as though he’s absent from this world.

Brynhildr giggles as she loosely covers her mouth.

“Don’t worry about anything. These memories have already happened. There’s nothing you can do to it, nor can they do anything to you. You’re simply here to watch.”

“Watch what, exactly?”

Brynhildr takes a deep breath as the surroundings change into the same warehouse, but during broad daylight.

The young Katsuo sits on the cold floor with his hands glowing as pieces of metal slowly materialize to finely assemble a weapon. His eyes glued to an open book set beside him which shows the intricate details of swords from the past.

“There’s something that I don’t understand despite being a part of your psyche. You possess great talent; able to master your abilities within a week.” As Brynhildr talks, the scenery shifts to another sparring match. “And at the same time, you’re able to pick up three different combat disciplines. Your skills only grew with each passing day.”

As the Gilded Saber disarms the broadsword from the young Katsuo, it goes for the finishing blow by pointing the tip of its golden sword to his throat. However, he immediately counters by forming a simplistic-looking rapier and points it right at its throat.

The match ends in a stalemate as the two combatants stare at each other with determined eyes. The Gilded Saber closes its eyes and bows its head down. It points its sword downward then lends a hand to help the young Katsuo up.

He gently places his weapon down before grabbing the hand of his master.

As the young Katsuo stands up, the surroundings flicker back to the same white void as before.

“So tell me, why do you think so lowly of yourself? Do you not have faith in your own abilities?”

A shadow of gloom casts itself on Katsuo’s face. He turns his head down and away as he thinks up of something to say.

“It’s…really nothing like that.” He answers uncertainly.

“Really? Then tell me where did the passion that you had once have gone to? Why do you belittle yourself so much?”

Katsuo stands paralyzed on the spot. His head spins from the multitude of questions hurled at him.

“I…I don’t…” He tries to articulate his answer.

At that moment, Brynhildr notices what is wrong. She gives a gentle smile and gently floats towards him.

“I’m sorry. You’re probably wondering why I’m so insistent in having you answer these questions. But I promise you, they’re for your own good.” Brynhildr assures him.

“…” Katsuo turns his head up to face her.

“You probably noticed some…‘inconsistencies’ with your abilities lately. All of this started upon transferring into your new school. Am I not mistaken?”

Katsuo thinks back and realizes them too.

“Your rapier is able to pierce and disable Arsenal, but not kill Toshiko. Similarly, you’re able to slash a thick metal girder once to save an ally, but not for a second time.”

As Brynhildr talks, the void flickers to show Katsuo the respective memory.

Katsuo nods in response as the same white void returns. Brynhildr sits on nothing but air and crosses her legs encased in metal plating.

“Now tell me, what did they call your ability?”

“Weapons Construct, I able to build weapons that I can use for combat.”

“I see,” Brynhildr places a few of her fingertips on her forehead as she shakes her head. “no wonder your powers don’t develop.”

“What do you mean?”

“How do I put this…they’re too blinded to see what your true power is. I’m sure you haven’t noticed, but it’s likely that your abilities have been misidentified. After all, one of your friends has gone through the same experience, correct?”

Katsuo remembers what Henrietta has read on Natalia’s profile before they met her.

(“…It is said that she was about to be given up on as she was initially classified as a Category 1. Reanalysis of her data by our branch showed that her vitals and performance does not come close to anyone who is under that category.”)

“What you possess is an ability that is far stronger than forging weapons.” Brynhildr continues. “There’s a reason why the person you call Blood Blade wants you dead. By now, you know that too well.”

(“…the people responsible for the village’s destruction are seeking to eliminate any chance of the strongest Alter to ever show itself. They narrowed it down to where you were and tried to eliminate anyone who could be the one who carries it.”)

Katsuo clutches his head as he shakes it from side to side.

“No! No…that’s not me.” He grimaces as though a sharp pain pierces his temples.

Katsuo quickly turns around and runs away. He looks over his shoulder to see Brynhildr slowly drifting away farther and farther.

“Why must you try to escape your destiny?”

Katsuo looks forward and sees her right in front of him standing straight while still hovering in the air with her arms crossed.

He quickly trips out of surprise and falls down on his face scowling in pain inches from Brynhildr. All the air on his lungs is suddenly pushed out.

Slowly, he places both his hands on the ground and pushes his body up; clutching his ribs.

“I’ve done nothing to deserve this great of a power. It’s because of this that I lost my home…my family…everything! Don’t you understand?! I never wanted this ability!!”

“Fate truly is a cruel mistress. It is true that our actions shape who we are, but the events where we make those actions play just as big of a role. There are just some factors that are beyond human control, and right now, the events of the world have aligned for you to be the one strong enough to become—“

“Become what, a hero? Don’t be ridiculous.”

“Then why? Why did you take up the Gilded Saber’s offer five years ago? Why did you accept the headmistress’ invitation to attend this school? Why did you help those girls at the time of their need? You want to become a hero so much, and yet you don’t want to be treated like one.”

Katsuo stands stunned. His feet lay rooted to the ground with his head bowed and his eyes locked on the pristine white floor.

“If there’s one thing you can’t hide from me, my Siegfried, it’s your emotion. What you felt during those times was genuine hope; the selfless kind of vigor only someone with a heart beating for what is right. You didn’t do those things because you were expecting anything, whether that’d be power, glory, or even affection. You did those things because deep inside you, you know that was the right thing to do. And yet you deny any gratification out of it, even those that you deserve.”

Katsuo slowly turns around to face Brynhildr once again.

“So tell me, my Siegfried…” Brynhildr places a hand under her chin. “…I will ask you again.”

Katsuo and his Alter lock eyes one more time.

“Why do you want to play the hero?”

Part 5

In a construction site within the outskirts of the city, Kanade walks through the half-finished building waiting for the person she is supposed to meet.

“Good. Stay there.” A voice over a radio instructs her.

Kanade tucks some of her hair behind her ear to show a small wireless communicator being hidden.

“We have a clear visual of you. Now, remember the plan: once the target hands over your sister to you, wait for my signal. Then after our snipers start the attack on Blood Blade, take her and run to the extraction point. We have assault teams on standby just in case.” Miss Violet recaps the operation’s plan for her.

Kanade gives a nod then tucks hair back to cover the communicator on her ear.

No other people are anywhere near the construction site as the military have quarantined the area to prevent potential civilian casualties.

A handful of snipers are stationed on the rooftops and within a few buildings themselves that surround the construction site. All of them take aim at the general area on where Kanade and Blood Blade will meet for the exchange. Small teams of soldiers are awaiting command on key locations of the building with rifles on the ready.

She slowly walks forward a bit more into the orange light of the setting sun so that she’ll be more in the sight of the buildings. But as she does, from within one of the unfinished rooms, Blood Blade walks out to welcome her.

“I’m sorry, have I kept you waiting?” Blood Blade gives her a casual greeting.

In the command vehicle overseeing the operation…

“That’s odd. Thermal didn’t detect anything a minute ago.” Miss Violet ponders as she places a finger on her chin.

She presses a button on the communicator on her ear to switch channels.

“Snipers, take aim at callsign Blood Blade. When the exchange is made, wait for my signal.”

“Thermal only reads both the target and your student. Are you sure the hostage is here?” One of the assault team leaders reports in.

“The target is able to hide its thermal pattern; it’s likely using the same technique so we can’t prematurely take the hostage without the exchange being made.”

(“I can’t bring in an assault squad to rescue Tsubaki either. I don’t know what shape she’s in being gone for so long. I had to hide the truth from everyone, even from her own sister. I hope she still doesn’t take it to heart…”)

Down below where the two are exchanging words…

“We’ve had a deal. Hand my sister over.” Kanade growls at Blood Blade with violent sparks zipping around her.

“All in due time, but I do believe congratulations are in order first. That was quite a show that you put out there. Sure you had some help, but the task was completed nevertheless.” Blood Blade commends her as it slowly claps its hands.

“Shut your trap! Give me my sister now!!”

Blood Blade can’t help but chuckle for a bit.

“Ah yes, about that…I do believe my exact words weren’t that I will hand her over to you, if I recall. I do believe I’ve said something else.”

Back inside the command vehicle…

“Target shows no intent of releasing the hostage.” Another sniper reports.

“Hold your fire. We still don’t know where the hostage is. Assault teams, remain on standby. Don’t make any move without my command.”

“Thermal scans shows negative all throughout. We even changed wavelengths to accommodate for thermal camouflaging.” One of the soldiers from the assault teams in the building reports.

“I said hold your fire!”

Down below, a violent arc of electricity starts to slowly spread around Kanade. Some of them arc towards the steel girders and scaffolding which cause it to buzz sharply.

“Why you--!!”

Despite the frightening display, Blood Blade keeps a steady posture.

“Now, now, it’s no good to throw a fit like that. I didn’t mean that I will be handing over Tsubaki Ishihara to you. I will still keep my end of the bargain.” The raging lightning storm quells with Blood Blade’s words. “After all, you have my word.”

Blood Blade flutters its long red cape to extend both of its arms then slowly pulls its hood back. It pushes a button at the bottom of its helmet’s chin and another over its ear. The helmet starts to clank as panels start to shift towards the front. Soon enough, the helmet that covers the notorious Blood Blade’s head has been turned into a mask.

It takes the mask off to show its true face.

And at that moment, every ounce of anger is rapidly dispelled from Kanade’s body. What has taken its place is a dreary sensation; an intense weight pulling down on her chest.

She can’t help but gasp in horror of the truth before her.

“My god…” Miss Violet whispers under her breath.

Spoiler

[collapse]

“It’s been a while…Kanade.” The person standing in front of Kanade greets her.

Unmasked, Blood Blade is revealed to be female. Her short hair tied to a bun on her back is of the same shade of scarlet as Kanade’s. Her vibrant face overflows with the grace of regality that simply commands respect.

As expected of the former Academy’s Strongest…the Red Empress.

“Tsubaki…sis…” Kanade stands stunned. 

Meanwhile, Miss Violet’s mouth hangs open out of surprise from seeing the true identity of Blood Blade.

“We have clear line of site, permission to fire.” A sniper reports to Miss Violet.

“Permission denied!! The plan doesn’t involve killing her sister in front of her! Attention all units: stand down. I repeat, stand down!!!” She angrily barks over the radio.

Kanade’s eyes quiver in strife. At long last, she has finally been reunited with her long lost sister.

But it is in a way that she neither expected nor wanted.

“No…it can’t be…” She says as she slowly shakes her head.

“I know it’s hard to take in. But I can tell you with complete honesty, this is me, the real me.” Tsubaki Ishihara presents herself to her dear younger sister.

“But…why?”

Tsubaki gives a weak smile and paces to the side with the clatter of her metal boots.

“Tell me, do you ever wonder why the school cares so much to develop our abilities? Don’t you ever think that they’re getting something out of helping us?” She stops beside one of the vertical girders that keep the above floor in place. “They want to use us as weapons.”

The moment her hand taps on the rigid metal, an orange patina starts to coat it from the point where Tsubaki is making contact. The rust eventually consumes the iron pillar and crumbles into dust.

“The military aims to create weapons that no form of conventional warfare will ever hope to counter. For years, this development has been conducted in secret, ever since the early days of Alter research.”

Kanade’s hands tremble as cold sweat drops from her forehead. A bleak feeling of sadness as though an unimaginable force has reached into her heart and crushes it consumes her as her very world crumbles before her eyes.

“Why…why are you doing this? You’re a good person; you’d never resort to killing!!”

Tsubaki turns her head away in melancholy.

“I didn’t want to have so many dead bodies in my wake. I wish I could have resolved this matter without getting my hands dirty.” She closes her eyes trying to keep the feeling of guilt in check. “I wish I could have remained the hero of justice everybody expected of me. But that’s just not possible…not in this world.”

“Then tell me…what was the reason…” Kanade grits her teeth in anger. “WHAT WAS THE REASON FOR KILLING HIM?!?!?!”

Tsubaki breathes a heavy sigh as she looks her dear sister in the eyes.

“Your friend is…a dangerous case. When they found out I refused their offer of assisting them in their frivolous quest for power, they turned to find someone to replace me. They found a boy in a remote village who they think has the same potential as me: one that could become a Category 5. And that was him, Katsuo Kiyabu.”

Nothing but silence fills the abandoned construction site. Kanade breathes in a gulp of air as she tries to take everything in.

“I know it’s hard to believe, but he has to die so that he can never be used as a weapon. A power of that scale can’t be trusted to any human being. If he’s influenced by the wrong forces, he can destroy the world with minimal effort. I know this…because I’m holding that same power now.”

“But why would you have me do it? If you have no problems killing people, why not do it yourself?!”

Tsubaki turns her head towards the setting sun.

“It was when I first saw you after so long. It was when I had Inverter initially do the work for me,” Tsubaki can’t help but think back during her attack during the Battle Tournament. “Seeing you again after so many years; seeing you grown…I admit I was a bit nostalgic, longing even, after I saw you. But I knew if there was one casualty I would do anything to avoid, it would be you.”

Tsubaki slowly walks towards Kanade as her heavy boots rattle with every step.

“And that is why I want you beside me again.” She extends a hand towards Kanade. “Join me…and together we will make sure that this military’s plans to enslave us who are far more superior to them will not push through. You and I can save this world from the chaos they will bring.”

Without hesitation, Kanade slaps the hand away. She gives an angry scowl as small sparks fly off her hair.

“I’ll never join you. You’ve strayed from the path of justice you have paved.”

Tsubaki stares in disbelief. She angles her head down as her shoulders quiver in a chuckle. And then, a laughter bellows out of her mouth.

“So that’s it? You’re willing to turn your back on me, your family, to save him? You’re willing to risk the lives of every person on the planet to save his?”

“I don’t give a crap!” Kanade screams in rage. “The Tsubaki sis I know will do everything to save everyone.  You’ve changed. You’re no longer the big sister I look up to.”

A grin fades into Tsubaki’s face. She turns around and walks towards the edge of an unfinished floor.

“You’re right. I’m no longer Tsubaki Ishihara. She died in that fire, like what your headmistress has been insisting.”

Back in the command vehicle, Miss Violet angrily slams a fist to the console in front of her.

“Assault teams, move in!! Don’t let Tsubaki Ishihara get away!!” Miss Violet screams her commands into the radio.

However…

“All assault teams are unresponsive.” One of the perimeter snipers reports.

“What?!”

“I got them all on thermal. They’re unconscious, but alive.”

Little did she know that the reason why all of the assault teams lie unconscious is a mist of an unknown gas has put all of the soldiers to a deep sleep.

Miss Violet bites her lips in anguish.

("Darn it. I can't risk blowing the sniper team's cover. Not to mention...")

She turns her vision towards Kanade.

"It's all up to you now, kid."

As soon as Tsubaki reaches the edge, she turns around to look at her dear younger sister one more time. She places the mask back on her face and it forms the helmet. Afterwards, she places the hood back on over her head.

“I have made my choice, and I have to live with its consequences. But if it means that I can save you from it all, then I'll pay any price." Tsubaki looks at her dear sister one more time with her heels barely over the edge.

"Tsubaki sis, please!"

"It's too late for me, Kanade. Tsubaki holds the mask she wears as Blood Blade forward; its tinted facade reflects the amber sunset. "I have already rejected my humanity.”

She puts the mask on her face, and the panels around it swiftly wrap her head like a helmet.

In one quick motion, she leans back to fall down several stories. As she does, Kanade runs to try and stop her, but is unable to reach her in time.

Suddenly, a violent torrent of wind erupts from below. Kanade covers her face with her forearms as the gale kicks off a cloud of dust and rustles her clothes.

Like a speeding bullet, Tsubaki Ishihara takes the form of Blood Blade once more.

She shoots up into the sky and flies off while bringing the gust of wind along with her.

As the dust settles, she gazes towards the distant horizon in complete grief. Her arms fall limp and she falls to her knees.

“No…Tsubaki sis…”

Meanwhile, in the command vehicle, Miss Violet clicks her tongue in defeat.

“Kanade, let’s head back.”

She then turns to the soldier she is with.

“All units, fall back. Mission is a bust. Check on all of the teams we have stationed out there; make sure they’re alright.”

Part 6

Hours have passed since the entire incident started.

Alex barges out of the elevator leading to the medical labs while clutching his dislocated shoulder. His hastily worn shirt and jacket hang loose as he struggles limp down the sterile hallway.

He then enters the room that is supposed to keep Katsuo. The room is so dark that the only sources of light available are the weak glows emitted by the instruments monitoring his lifeless body.

Alex struggles to find the light switch as he feels around the wall beside him. And after successfully turning on the lights, he finds Kagami mere inches from him.

Alex gives a startled gasp, but that is all he has time for. What follows is him suddenly being lifted from his shoddily buttoned collar then slammed against the door. The pain from the impact along with the sting from his dislocated shoulder causes him to shout in pain.

“You’ve got some nerve showing your face here.” Kagami says in her growling voice.

Alex shakily raises his right hand and tries to reach for her wrist. But the exact moment he touches her skin, his whole hand is unnaturally repelled off, like two magnets with the same polarity.

“And don’t think your little trick will work on me. Remember that I’m untouchable!”

Kagami tosses Alex to the ground with his dislocated shoulder catching the landing. Following the loud crash is a painful scream that fills the nearly empty infirmary.

Alex rolls to his back then Kagami digs her heels deep into his shoulder. He gives a vigorous cough as he winces from the pain. The pain is so great that he can’t use his Alter ability to try and numb the pain.

He looks up with one eye open and sees Kagami’s bowed head. Her hands are in her pockets and her shoulders are slouched; the similar posture she holds when she is still known as Inverter.

But something is different about her and Alex is quick to catch on. The way Kagami’s head is angled at point where her eyes are covered by a shadow. The expression it hides is not the usual sadism or malice. It’s something much sadder.

“Why…how could you…I thought for sure I finally got a chance into the light. I thought my life finally changed for the better. And you…” Kagami bears down deeper to Alex’s shoulder. “…you had the gall to take that away from me.”

“Please. There isn’t much time.” Alex pleads gasping for air.

“Oh you’re right. You don’t have much time left.”

The pain radiating from his shoulder is preventing him from getting up.

Razorback looms behind Kagami as she speaks. It raises one of its scythe-like arms high in the air. Like an executioner about to perform the sentence, the heavy blade looms over his neck.

“I’ll give you the same fate that you’ve forced on him!” Kagami growls in anger.

With a chilling screech, Razorback swings the sharp blade down like a guillotine. Alex’s mouth shakes from the pain as he tries to call forth Necrosis.

However, he soon sees that he doesn’t need to.

A red scaly arm with a shackle on its wrist catches the blade inches from Alex’s throat. It belongs to Nachteufel, the demon that the Demon Queen of the Night commands.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” Natalia berates her for trying to take another life.

“Stand aside, Lenhoff! I’ll make her pay for what she did to Katsuo.”

“Don’t you realize what you’re doing is undoing what Katsuo did for you?!”

“!!” Kagami is suddenly snapped out of her rage.

Both of their Alters fade back to nothingness.

Kagami slowly releases her foot from Alex’s shoulder; releasing him from the sharp sting bearing on him. He rolls to his side opposite from his affected shoulder and sits himself up.

“Sorry. I…I didn’t…” Kagami bows her head in regret.

Natalia bends down and helps Alex up.

“No worries, luv; would have done the same myself, actually.” Alex tries to grin through the pain aching his shoulder.

“You alright?” Natalia asks out of concern.

“It’s nothing.” He assures as he continues to brace his dislocated shoulder. “Look, there’s still a way to save Katsuo, but there isn’t much time. I can bring him back to life.”

A look of surprise is displayed on both Natalia and Kagami.

Later, they enter the room where Katsuo’s body is being kept.

“Are you sure this will work?” Kagami asks in doubt.

“Don’t worry. This isn’t the first time I’ve done this. I even used it on myself once.”

Alex walks right towards Katsuo’s body which lies lifeless and motionless. He waves his hand over him and black fog seeps out of Katsuo. They collect to a stagnant cloud of thick miasma, swirling as they gather more and more.

Once they all collect on a thick fog, Alex snaps his fingers and the cloud of death rapidly dissipates.

However, no change happened; whether that’d be on the equipment monitoring Katsuo, or on Katsuo himself.

Alex stands frozen in disbelief. His hands drop down and dangle by his arms. Katsuo lies lifeless like before. Necrosis’ influence should have already left him. But for some reason, Katsuo is still dead.

“No…don’t tell me. Am I too late?” Alex whispers to himself.

“You’re kidding…” A different voice responds…a heartbroken grieving voice.

Everybody looks behind them and sees Kanade’s shaded face. Weak sparks jump across her hair as she softly sobs under her breath.

“Kanade, I’m…I’m sorry.” Alex tries to apologize.

“Shut up, just…shut up.” Kanade angrily barks. “I didn’t want him to go. If only…”

“I get how you’re feeling. But I’m sure everything will be fine if you’ve been honest with your feelings.” Natalia tries to calm her down.

“I SAID SHUT UP!!!” The surge of electricity surging Kanade’s body flows stronger as everybody flinches back as some of the bolts lash violently away from Kanade’s body. “Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up!! Can you even hear yourself? Be true to my feelings? Tell him how I feel? Are you serious?! Why should I be attached to people if I know they will only leave me?”

A mix of frustration and sadness swirls within Kanade’s heart. Every word she speaks is a pound of weigh unloading from her chest. She takes a moment to calm herself down a bit. She breathes heavily and slowly as the sparks start to subside.

“My parents went away. My sister is gone. And Katsuo…” Kanade can’t even bear to look at Katsuo’s lifeless body. “…so tell me…why? Why on earth should I form bonds with people if they will eventually leave me?!”

Not a word is said for a moment. The tones of the medical equipment are all that can be heard. Nobody gives an answer…

But then…

“You’re so full of yourself, you know that.” Another voice berates Kanade.

They all turn to see Henrietta leaning on the door frame with her arms crossed. Her usual utility belt and armband are back on her.

“Hey now, don’t you think you’re being harsh given everything that has happened?” Natalia tries to stop a fight before it even begins.

“I know. In fact, that’s not what I’ve come to discuss with.” Henrietta replies as she enters the room and walks towards Kanade. “Be honest with me, Miss Ishihara. Didn’t you believe in him? Even if just once? He always said that you can always tell him anything that’s bothering you.”

“!!” Kanade realizes her faults then she bows her head in dismay and looks away from Henrietta.

Henrietta gives a deep sigh and pushes up on her glasses.

“The fact that people come and go is all the more reason to form stronger bonds with one another. It’s always been about celebrating the fact that they entered our lives is what’s important rather than the fear of them eventually leaving us. So that when the time comes, it will feel like they never left. They will always be here, in your heart.” Henrietta lightly taps on her chest.

(“My heart…”) Kanade slowly clutches over her heart as well.

“I’m not trying to undermine what you feel. It’s natural and logical for you to feel this way. But I don’t want you to think that you’re going through this alone. You have us. Not just now, but since the beginning. Me, Miss Kingsley, Miss Lenhoff, even Miss Tsuukou, and Mister Kiyabu too. For all he’s done for us…for all of us. We’ll be here for you to help you carry your burden.”

Kanade looks to her friends and sees them all smiling to support her. A warm feeling takes over her heart as she wipes the tears that swell from her eyes.

“Thank you…everyone.” A light smile is etched on her face.

Henrietta tilts her head to the side as she pushes the bridge of her glasses.

“Well, it’s pretty late. Let’s go. I’ll have someone look into Miss Kingsley’s shoulder for a while.” Henrietta turns around and exits the room.

“Actually…would it be alright if I stay a bit longer? Maybe for the night?” Kanade asks.

Henrietta gives a light nod.

“I understand. Just remember to lock up when you’re done.”

And so, everybody but Kanade leaves the room. She takes a seat beside the bed where Katsuo lies.

“I know you. You’re too stubborn to die. You have the most absurd luck that just prevents you from biting the bullet.” She whispers as she looks at Katsuo with hopeful eyes.

She remembers the time when they are fighting earlier during that day. During the fight, she pulled Katsuo towards her and whispered something.

Whatever it may be, Kanade continues to hold it in her heart and clutches on the blanket that covers Katsuo’s body.

“Don’t you dare give up now. I hope you’re still doing what I told you, because I sure do to.”

Meanwhile in the bleak white void where Katsuo’s consciousness is being kept…

“What’s going on?! Necrosis’ effect is already off me, so why am I still dead?!” Katsuo demands to Brynhildr.

“Oh you’re right. You’re not supposed to be dead right now. But the thing is, something else is keeping you here…” The same black miasma forms around her hand which she slowly closes and presents to Katsuo. “…me.”

Katsuo stands dumbfounded by the turn of events. As it turns out, not all of the effects of Alex’s Alter ability have worn off.

“You see, my Siegfried, we’re not done. If I let you go now, what happens next will leave you stuck here. Permanently. You’re not ready to save anyone, not yet. Not unless you finish saving yourself first.”

Part 7

Henrietta walks through the carpeted halls of the Girls’ Dormitory. She takes out a key and uses it to unlock the door to her room.

“Finally decided to put it on again, boss?” A voice asks her.

“Yeah. I figured that they need me more after what happened.” She answers without looking at the person asking her.

Amaya Kirigaya dressed in a pajama that looks like a loose cotton dog costume looks at her superior with wondering eyes. She tilts her head and the tail of her pajamas slowly wags for unknown reasons.

“I was worried that you might have officially stepped down. I was afraid Senior Erica will replace you and we’ll never see you again.”

“Hah, Miss Crosse isn’t that scary. Besides, I’m not ready to throw in the towel just yet. I joined the Disciplinary Committee to become a hero. Not only was he my first casualty, but because of that, I have failed my task. Giving up now because of one failure won’t progress my dreams any further.”

Amaya breathes a heavy sigh.

“Yeah, about that, boss…maybe it’s time to place that ambition on the shelf for good.”

Henrietta slowly shakes her head.

“I can’t do that. After all, I promised someone, not just myself.”

Henrietta turns the doorknob to the door and enters her room. After the door closes, Amaya gives a sly smile, turns around, and walks back to her own room.

“I’m glad you haven’t given up your principles. Although, whoever you made that promise to…must have been one lucky person.”

Part 8

Henrietta continues her night with the browsing of her usual forum. The same contents are being presented such as articles and artworks.

As she does, her mind drifts back to a memory she has.

Years ago during the days of her youth, she remembers saving a young child from a group of bullies. It was on that day when they discovered something extraordinary, the first time where she discovers her extraordinary abilities.

“Are you okay?” She asks the young child as she extends a hand to help her up.

The young child slowly reaches for it and gives a good grasp. The young Henrietta helps the child up and gives her new friend a smile.

“What…was that?” the young child asks.

“I don’t know myself. But I feel like I can do amazing things with it.”

The young child she has rescued has an idea. He takes the comic book that was thrown to the ground during the attack and rushes back to Henrietta.

“Here!” The young child presents it to her. “You can become a hero for justice! Just like the ones in comics and TV!”

Henrietta is reminded of a different hero. She remembers the hero her mother has been telling her stories about, stories that she has grown very fond of.

“A hero of justice, huh…I like the sound of that.”

Tears of happiness swell from the child’s eyes. A smile of optimistic joy blooms as bright as the future being envisioned by both of them.

“Hey now, don’t cry.” Henrietta proceeds to wipe the tear about to flow off the child’s cheek. “A boy your age shouldn’t be crying at all.”

The child wipes the tears on his eyes as the two children exchange happy and vibrant smiles.

“Come on dear, it’s about to get dark!” A parent from outside the playground they’re staying calls out.

“Yes mom!” The child responds then runs off.

After talking with the child’s mother, they hold hands and walk on home.

“HEY!!!” The child shouts as they walk away. “Promise me, okay! Promise me that you’ll be a hero of justice!”

Henrietta gives a sincere smile.

“I will!!!” She shouts back.

The two new friends wave each other goodbye as that was when they last have seen each other.

Suddenly at the present, a particular discussion thread steals her attention.

“Hey, just out of topic for a moment, but I’ve heard the latest news that the military has made a some questionable human experiments?”

“You always believe in those lame conspiracy theories lmao”

“No way, man. This is as legit as it can get. I’ve seen some news stories about it too. Said something about hallucinations or something. Messes with their minds. Gives them weird powers and such.”

(“Hallucinations that give power? Don’t tell me…”)

Henrietta types into the discussion rapidly to try and get more information.

“What have you heard?” Henrietta asks the person online.

“They said that a school was built in the middle of nowhere and they have students train to eventually be used as weapons for war.”

Henrietta’s eyes widen in surprise. The details are, oddly enough, real.

(“I can’t share any information about this. He might be bluffing and is just trying to get them out of me. But…but how did this guy know what to say?”)

Then someone posts a response to the one who started the discussion.

“You’re bluffing lolololol. What tabloid did you get that out of anyway?”

“Sounds more like some weird book plot to be honest.”

A link is then immediately posted to prove the point.

“Still think I’m lying?”

Henrietta clicks on the link and a news article outlining details of a leak that happened earlier today that has spread like wildfire across the Internet.

(“No way…where did anyone get these?”)

The information being spread is eerily accurate. These are the kinds of information that only someone who goes to AEGIS would know, and some even she is not sure she should be looking into.

She performs another search about the information being spread and it’s not just coming from one, but all of the news outlets. Countless websites have already covered the matter in a span of hours. Those coming from the most credible news websites are still fresh of the press.

“Just…what is going on?” Henrietta stares at her computer screen in disbelief.

Meanwhile, on a harbor that overlooks the city, Blood Blade stands atop a cargo crane and looks across the horizon towards the cityscape as the breeze flutters her cape along with the bright crescent moon behind her. On her hand is the helmet that normally goes on her head folded into a mask.

“The time has come to rid everyone of their shackles. The world cannot be trusted with our power. They will do nothing but destroy each other. Our militaries cannot be trusted with our power. I’ll make sure that they’ll never get their hands on the ability to potentially cause even greater damage.”

She places the mask on her face and its panels wrap around her head to form a helmet. Afterwards, she pulls down to put on her hood. Blood Blade gazes once more to the horizon as the moonlight reflects on her helmet’s wide visor.

“I’ll make certain of it.” The usual synthesized voice proclaims to the night.

0